HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

The official Rob Ford, WTF? thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 05:19 AM
RoryDelap
Stoke-on-Toronto

vCash: 500
Go get him, Mel!

Old
11-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Wetcoaster

And another penalty flag thrown against Hizzoner Rob Ford for missing council meeting again to coach football.
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is on the defensive again for putting football ahead of city hall business.

Ford missed about 2½ hours of Thursday’s council meeting to attend a football game of the high school team he coaches.

When asked why he left, Ford said he needed to be there for the crucial game.

“It was a semifinal football game," said Ford. "It's the playoffs, we’re undefeated, we're No. 2 in the city. We’re in the championship game.”

Ford missed much of council's debate about whether to finalize an $8.4-billion transit deal with the province to build four light rail lines in Toronto.

Coun. Josh Matlow was livid about the mayor's absence and said Ford should have been in council chambers.

“This is about the mayor of Toronto … showing up for council that he ostensibly leads,” said Matlow.
And even Rob Ford supporters are at loss to explain his actions:
Deputy Mayor Doug Holyday, a political ally who has advised Ford against skipping council meetings for football, was at a loss to explain.

“He has a mind of his own as you know," said Holyday. "I don’t control anybody here, sometimes people like my thoughts and sometimes they don’t.”
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...-football.html

Old
11-02-2012, 03:17 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
QR77 is defending him

Old
11-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

More misuse of power! (Sorry for The Sun link)

Quote:
Mayor Rob Ford called TTC CEO Andy Byford directly to find out why a bus — ordered by Toronto Police — hadn’t arrived to take his high school football team home.

Ford left council for more than two hours Thursday to coach his Don Bosco Eagles in their semi-final playoff game. The Eagles ended up winning after a brawl broke out and Toronto Police were called to the field at Father Henry Carr. Ford’s team ended up getting a ride in their own personal TTC bus back to their school at the request of police.

TTC spokesman Brad Ross confirmed to the Sun that Ford did call Byford directly Thursday about a TTC bus for the Don Bosco players.

“The mayor left Mr. Byford a voicemail message sharing police concerns about the time it was taking for the bus to arrive. Mr. Byford, unaware of the police request, called TTC’s transit control centre to inquire. Staff stated the bus would arrive shortly,” Ross said in an e-mail.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:14 PM
PCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Took too long because they were kicking actual passengers off the bus...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4876124/

Old
11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Does this mean that next election, someone will be able to campaign about stopping the gravy bus?

Old
11-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellogs View Post
Does this mean that next election, someone will be able to campaign about stopping the gravy bus?
I wouldn't want to be the person standing between Rob Ford and any kind of gravy.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCooper View Post
Took too long because they were kicking actual passengers off the bus...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle4876124/
And that article seems to dispute Rob Ford's version of events that there was brawl and the reason for calling for a TTC route bus rather than waiting 45 minutes for the regular school bus was brawl between the players and player safety.

More like Rob Ford throwing his (considerable) weight around yet again:
The players’ regular school bus was due to arrive around 4:30 p.m. TTC transit control received the request for a bus from police at 3:46 p.m.

Bob Kinnear, the president of the union representing TTC workers, said he had “never, ever” heard of a TTC bus being yanked out of to serve as a shuttle in such a situation.

“It’s unbelievable that at a time of day we’ve got people packed in like sardines that they would take a bus off the route for something like this,” Mr. Kinnear said.
In this case, the game between the Eagles and the Carr Crusaders was cut short late in the fourth quarter after a verbal altercation between the Carr coach and a referee, according to John Yan, a spokesman for the Toronto Catholic District School Board. The game was called between 3:40 p.m. and 3:45 p.m., he added.

Mr. Yan said the disagreement was minor, and that the game ended early primarily because of the lopsided score and the pouring rain.

He said Ugo Rossi, the Don Bosco principal, asked police officers who were already on the scene about calling a TTC bus to pick up the players, whose regular school bus was not scheduled to arrive until 4:30 p.m.

“In the interest of the safety of students and the weather, they [police] decided to call it in,” Mr. Yan said.

There was no near-brawl at the game, he added. Although there is a “healthy rivalry” between the teams, the players left the field in “exemplary fashion.” He said the primary reason police ordered the TTC bus was to get the cold, wet Don Bosco players swiftly back to their school and into their dry clothes.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I wouldn't want to be the person standing between Rob Ford and any kind of gravy.
As bad as getting between Brian Burke and an open microphone???

Old
11-04-2012, 01:33 AM
RoryDelap
Stoke-on-Toronto

You really can't make this **** up.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryDelap View Post
You really can't make this **** up.
You could try but no one would believe that it was real.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Wetcoaster

Nothing to do with me, says Hizzoner Rob Ford regarding the two diverted transit buses to pick up his football team.

“I did absolutely nothing wrong,” Ford told reporters at City Hall. “What bothers me the most is when you find out that people were told to get off the bus. I’m all about service. That drives me nuts. But I can’t tell Byford what to do, and how to run the TTC. I can’t tell the police what to do, nor would I; I had nothing to do with this.”

"I'm as clean as the days are long," said Ford, stressing he "did absolutely nothing wrong."

Ford said he made the call to TTC CEO Andy Byford because “there was a 20-minute delay” after the initial police call for the bus. Asked why he later placed the call to Byford when a TTC bus didn't show up, Ford said, "Obviously there was a situation. I was assisting the police."

Asked why his players needed the bus, he said: “That’s up to the police.”

And everyone is chiming in "Not me".

Now had Ford actually been attending to his real job as mayor, none of this would would have involved him in the first place.
Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair has been asked to explain to the police services board next week why two TTC buses were pulled off their routes to ferry Mayor Rob Ford’s Don Bosco football players back to school.

The call for answers as to why the buses were needed follows a confusing narrative, with conflicting reports coming from the TTC, police, the Toronto Catholic District School Board, athletics officials and Ford.
Toronto Police spokesperson Mark Pugash said police officers at the scene — two community officers who later sent for six additional officers, including a sergeant — called the bus over concerns the situation on the field had the potential to escalate.

“I’m also told the same two teams played each other two weeks previously and there had been some friction between the two schools,” Pugash said in an email Monday.

Pugash said Chief Blair stands by his officers’ decision.

“As far as the decision to request a bus to de-escalate a situation that caused concern for the officers present, Chief Blair supports the decision of his frontline officers,” he wrote.

But school board officials and the athletics association say the situation was never that serious and the reasons for a bus being called were purely weather-related.

John Yan, spokesperson for the Toronto Catholic District School Board, said Don Bosco principal Ugo Rossi asked police whether a TTC bus could be called to get his team back to school.

“The first priority is the health and safety of the students,” Yan said. “The first proactive notion is it’s cold and raining, they’ve been out here for an hour and a half . . . let’s try to get these students back to school as soon as possible.”
Brian Riddell, executive secretary for the Toronto District Catholic Athletic Association, said that despite an apparent rivalry between the two schools, there was “no confrontation between the two teams whatsoever.”

“Police weren’t called because there was an incident on the field,” Riddell said “This got blown all out of proportion.”
Great call so you dump a bus load of commuters off the bus in the driving rain and make then wait as opposed to some overly entitled high school football players.

And from the TTC side of things:
Coun. John Parker, who sits on the TTC commission, told CBC's Metro Morning on Monday that "at first I thought somebody was putting me on."

Parker, who is also council's deputy speaker, said he believes there has to be a mistake.

"I have to believe that there is miscommunication, misunderstanding or somehow something didn't go the way it should have gone. I can't believe that it would be policy to drop passengers at rush hour to pick up football players," he said.

As a TTC commissioner, he said he's "interested in knowing who said what to whom, what are the rules around this sort of thing and were the rules followed. And how did we find ourselves dropping passengers in the middle of rush hour."

TTC union head not impressed

"Never in my 23 years have I heard such a request coming from the police services, the mayor or anyone else for that matter in circumstances like this." said Bob Kinnear, president of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113, which represents TTC workers.

"It appears the mayor is trying to alleviate himself of any responsibility, but the fact that he called Mr. Byford himself suggests that he himself was also making the request that a bus come and pick up his football team."
(TTC CEO Andy) Byford said in a letter to commissioners he was "not happy" about the episode and will be following up with the mayor's office and Toronto police.

"The most unfortunate thing about this episode is the damage done to our reputation after more than a year of careful, painstaking steps to improve it," he wrote.

"For the record: I had no idea that two buses were used nor that customers were inconvenienced."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tc-bus321.html

The common denominator in all these various incidents seems to be Rob Ford.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:06 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I still cannot believe this clown got elected to lead Canada's biggest city. The guy is incompetent on so many levels and does not seem to be able to show sound judgement as his decision to coach football over attending work shows.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I still cannot believe this clown got elected to lead Canada's biggest city. The guy is incompetent on so many levels and does not seem to be able to show sound judgement as his decision to coach football over attending work shows.
Maybe Hizzonner Rob Ford will take his cue (queue, kew, Q???) from Montreal mayor Gérald Tremblay and resign.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/montrea...ions-1.1025935

Old
11-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Maybe Hizzonner Rob Ford will take his cue (queue, kew, Q???) from Montreal mayor Gérald Tremblay and resign.
As someone who lives just outside of Toronto, I sure hope not. He's way too entertaining.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
As someone who lives just outside of Toronto, I sure hope not. He's way too entertaining.
Mind you the decision might be made for Hizzonner depending on the upcoming ruling in his conflict of interest trial from Ontario Justice Charles Hackland.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/city...se-the-players

And the complaints and consequences continue to pile up - is it time to flag the anti-Fordites for piling on.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/04...councils-wrath

Old
11-06-2012, 01:59 PM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Ahh, I voted Smitherman and would still consider him the best candidate; especially with the hypocrisy that Ford has brought to the city.

It was a terrible race though, it's not like we were all led down the garden path. I can't imagine another mayoral race with a staggering lack of qualified candidates. We need John Tory and we need him now.
And still people ***** about how much money politicians make. Everyone is saying that they get paid too much. I have been saying this in Finland a long time now, we should pay every politician and public office job a lot more. That is the way we can have the best and most qualified personnel in the job. It comes a lot cheaper to have high end salary in crucial spot than pay less and lose the competition to other industries.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:45 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Well the mayor of Laval is next to go then maybe Ford.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Wetcoaster

Hizzoner triumphant as his high school football team Don Bosco Eagles beat their rivals Senator O'Connor Blues 26-14 in the Toronto's Catholic league senior football game at Esther Shiner Stadium.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/city...c-championship

In the Catholic senior football league which team does God favour?

Old
11-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Wetcoaster

And Rob Ford is back before the courts again, this time as the Defendant in a libel action brought against him by Toronto restaurateur, George Foulidis over remarks Ford is alleged to have made during an interview with the Toronto Sun in respect of a city lease granted Foulidis for one of his restaurants in the Toronto Beaches area. Foulidis is claiming $6 million in damages.

The critical comments were made in August 2010 in an interview with the Toronto Sun editorial board concerning a deal between the city and Foulidis' business, Tuggs Inc. extending his existing lease for 20 years. Ford was incensed at the time that the city gave an untendered 20-year lease extension to Tuggs Inc. for the continued operation of the Boardwalk Café along Woodbine Beach. Foulidis has said Ford has suggested he won the contract as a result of illegal activity.

Ford was upset that it looked like Foulidis is not playing by the same rules as everyone else.

BTW Ford has been excused from testifying on Thursday due to the fact that he must attend a city council meeting where vital decisions are being made... oops nope he is skipping that meeting to coach his high school football team.

On the first day of trial Ford's defence was that he made comments about Tuggs Inc., and not about the plaintiff personally.

And besides despite what was reported in The Sun quoting Ford, Ford's lawyers say nobody really knows what Ford said because somehow the reporter notes and the recording of that interview have gone missing or been erased.

However as soon as that testimony was made public Canada.com’s senior producer, Rob Granatstein, formerly the Sun’s editorial page editor, dug up the recording in question on his computer and turned it over.

Seriously you just could not write comedy like this.
In August of 2010, councillor Ford told the Toronto Sun’s editorial board he thought the awarding of the untendered contract (a contract that didn’t through the competitive process of tendering from a number of would-be suppliers) was corrupt.

His comments came after the pub, located in a high-traffic area near Woodbine Beach in the city’s east end, was awarded a 20-year lease extension behind closed doors.

The libel suit was filed more than two years, claiming Ford’s 2010 election campaign-trail comments were unfounded and damaging.

In a statement of claim, Foulidis asserts Ford’s allegations were damaging to his reputation.

“As a direct result of the false and defamatory statements of Mr. Ford … Mr. Foulidis has been cast as a criminal and has suffered embarrassment and humiliation.”

The lawyer for the plaintiff yesterday described his client as a hardworking entrepreneur and family man.

He also claims that his client built the Boardwalk Pub from the ground up. Unfortunately for his client, he became a political football during a hotly contested election campaign.

“I was very hurt by that article. I was humiliated,” Foulidis said under questioning from his lawyer, Brian Shiller, on Tuesday morning. “I felt like a criminal reading that article. I was very upset.”

Foulidis, who began to tear up as he testified today, will be on the stand again tomorrow.

Brian Shiller, Foulidis’ lawyer, says he’s prepared to put Ford on the stand tomorrow, but seeing as though he’s not available in the afternoon, presumably to coach a high school football game, he’s not sure it’s a good idea.

Ford won’t be on the stand until Friday.

The hearing will resume at 10 a.m. on November 15th.
http://o.canada.com/2012/11/13/toron...suit-to-start/

Old
11-16-2012, 01:58 AM
Wetcoaster

And in court today, the judge pressed for details of Hizzoner's being unavailable...
The trial was initially slated to last four days, but the emergence of the tape means a Toronto Sun reporter probably won’t have to take the stand. Ford’s lawyer, Gavin Tighe, called it a “curveball.”

This would have bumped up the mayor’s testimony, except that Ford informed court he is unavailable Thursday afternoon.

Ford has refused to say why, but the mayor’s high school football team has an important game at 2 p.m. in Scarborough.

Judge John Macdonald pressed for details, since extending into next week will affect other trials.

“Why can’t we sit tomorrow afternoon?” Macdonald asked. “I’m able to make accommodations if accommodations are necessary. Why can’t we sit tomorrow?”

Ford’s lawyer, Gavin Tighe, simply said the mayor was unavailable.

The word “football” was never spoken.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...-witness-stand

And in an unrelated story:
Mayor Rob Ford was on the football field at Birchmount Stadium in Scarborough, as his $6-million libel trial trudged on in a University Avenue courtroom Thursday.

Ford did not speak directly to his early exit at the trial Thursday.

"It's not easy but I made a commitment," he said. "These kids will never forget what we've done. I'll never forget what they've done."

"This is a win-win for everybody," Ford said.

Ford was expected to testify Thursday. But according to Coun. Doug Ford, the mayor informed the court he would be unable to attend and it was approved.

"From what I understand, the judge approved all this," he said.

"He supports youth athletics. He's committed, he's passionate about helping kids."

It is not clear whether the judge knew the quarterfinal game was behind the mayor's absence.
http://www.680news.com/news/local/ar...s-championship

Good thing that court resources were idle, eh?

Old
11-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Wetcoaster

And Hizzoner Rob Ford was well and truly kicked around the courtroom by the lawyer for George Foulidis, the owner of Tuggs Inc., which operates the Boardwalk Pub in the Beach.

Ford's initial defence was that he never used the word corrupt or corruption and that he was misquoted by the newspaper.

Unfortunately for him a former editor at the newspaper had an audio file of the interview, produced it and when it was played in court on Friday - Ford's defence was shredded. And the audio record:
“If Tuggs isn’t, then I don’t know what is,’’ Ford told the Toronto Sun’s editorial board.

“I can’t accuse anyone or I can’t pinpoint it, but why do we have to go in-camera on the Tuggs deal?

“These in-camera meetings, there’s more corruption and skullduggery going on in there than I’ve ever seen in my life.”
On the stand Friday he was backed into a corner and forced to admit he had no evidence beyond tips from anonymous callers and a personal hunch when he singled out a controversial 20-year restaurant deal with the city as “an example of corruption and skulduggery.”

And as he floundered away under questioning:
In questioning from Brian Shiller, the lawyer for Mr. Foulidis, the mayor said he had no proof that the sole-source deal was corrupt, but said he was one of many who were suspicious. At one point he described councillors as “going snake” in a closed session to discuss the contract as a sign that something was wrong. “Some of them were losing their mind to get this deal through,” he said.

“Something was going on. I don’t know what it is. I can’t pinpoint it,” he said. “It’s hard to catch them in the act. It’s hard to prove it.”

To that, Mr. Shiller asked, “If you don’t know who is being corrupt and you don’t know how they are being corrupt, how do you know there is corruption?”

“It smells that way. It just looks that way,” Mr. Ford responded. He later added: “Over the last five years or before we signed this deal there was a lot of innuendos, there were a lot of councillors talking about it. I got a lot of phone calls from people. I talked to a lot of people. They called me about the deal. It just didn’t smell right. It just didn’t pass the test in my personal opinion.”
Later in the day, Mr. Shiller questioned the mayor on his remarks during a radio interview in the weeks leading up to the meeting with the editorial board. In that case, he noted, Mr. Ford was asked if there was money paid under the table in connection with the Tuggs deal, and he responded that he believed there was.

Under questioning, Mr. Ford said he had no evidence to support that belief. “Did I see someone get a brown envelope of cash, no,” he said.

Instead, Mr. Ford said a number of people called him to tell him something was not right with the deal and that money was being exchanged. Asked why he did nothing with the allegations, Mr. Ford said they were made by people who wanted to remain anonymous.

“I don’t know who they are,” he said. “They are calling from pay phones, they are calling from blocked numbers.”

At one point Mr. Ford said he would like the police to investigate the deal, but later said he had never called them on the matter.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle5373364/#

And after being evasive for hours and wrestling with counsel for the plaintiff, Siller went for the pin. “My question is … when you say, “and if Tuggs isn’t, I don’t know what is”, what (you’re) saying is, if Tuggs isn’t an example of corruption and skullduggery, I don’t know what is?”

There were objections from Ford’s lawyer but Superior Court Justice John Macdonald allowed the question.

Ford: “I’m going to repeat myself the best I can to explain and answer you. Here, I don’t agree with how the Tuggs deal was done and I used the word, when they don’t follow the process, and when staff recommends a (request for proposal) and you ignore it, I call that skullduggery and corruption, that’s the answer.”

And then Hizzoner went completely off-script and likely induced a near heart attack for his own lawyer with wild claims. He began blithering on about money exchanging hands, under the table, and “dirty deals,” talk of it from anonymous callers, all the while sinking deeper into the muck.

Counsel for the plaintiff must have thought he struck a goldmine because once all the blithering ended and Hizzoner was asked to back up his claims with evidence or some proof - his response was “I can’t prove it, no.”

Rob Ford... his own lawyer's worst nightmare.

Old
11-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Old
11-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Hizzoner triumphant as his high school football team Don Bosco Eagles beat their rivals Senator O'Connor Blues 26-14 in the Toronto's Catholic league senior football game at Esther Shiner Stadium.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/city...c-championship

In the Catholic senior football league which team does God favour?
Did he spike opposing players in the end-zone in celebration?

Old
11-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Wetcoaster

For those having problems sorting out all the various complaints against Hizzoner a helpful guide - A History of Formal Complaints Against Rob Ford (details at the linked article):
http://torontoist.com/2012/11/a-hist...inst-rob-ford/
  • Boardwalk Pub Libel Suit (ongoing - final arguments)
  • Toronto Star (Integrity Investigation Request)
  • Improper Donations (Integrity Investigation)
  • Failure to Account for Office Spending (Integrity Investigation Request)
  • Election Finance Compliance Audit
  • Improper Use of Office Phone Number (Integrity Investigation Request)
  • Medical Officer of Health (Integrity Investigation Request)
  • Conflict of Interest Suit (Note decision pending and this could cost Hizzoner his job as Mayor)
  • Improper Use of City Resources (Integrity Investigation Request)
  • Compromising the Civic-Appointments Process (Ombudsman’s Report)

And a graphic aid:

Closed Thread