HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Crosby's Injury Clarification...

Old
11-24-2012, 04:26 PM
JackFr

vCash: 500
Crosby's Injury Clarification...

I'm a huge Crosby and Penguins fan, but I never delved too deep with this in the hope that he was just 100% and performing great.

So we know for sure that Crosby got a concussion at the Winter Classic, right? Did he also suffer a vertebrae injury on that hit? Is there a chance that he only got a neck injury and it was severe and mistreated?

On January 7th he gets hit from behind by Hedman. Was this another concussion? A vertebrae injury? Exacerbating the first concussion or the first vertebrae injury?

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Dangles78

No one on this board will be able to give you an answer. It's all speculation/conspiracies/medical theories that don't really matter at this point.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

They talked about them, and eventually shot it down on the vertebrae being a cause of his symptoms saying he didn't have one cracked at all.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 05:42 PM
SidTheKid8787

There are a few facts though to guide you.

He did have one confirmed concussion.
He did have a veterbrae injury that healed over the course of his rehab for the concussion.

As for when the veterbrae injury occured, thats up for debate.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:02 PM
spizzle420

and then what about the kreijci elbow, where he missed more months?

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Sivek

Don't think we'll ever know the truth, but if I had to speculate, I'd say he suffered the concussion and vertebrae injury during the WC but played the next game because he didn't completely disclose the injury or didn't really feel the effects of it until the Hedman hit.

I remember the TB game seeming kind of strange for Crosby since they were absolutely dominating TB, up like 5-0 in the 1st and eventually got it up to 7-0 or 8-0 and he seemed to have a really quiet game despite his team just destroying TB and Crosby being on the best tear of his career. I'm guessing he was feeling out of it a bit and was trying to play through it or hadn't yet completely felt the symptoms (TB game was 4 days after WC, it's possible he felt groggy after the WC but it subsided in the days between games and he didn't push himself physical much until the next game).

Once he received the Hedman hit, it probably exacerbated how he was feeling. I don't think he suffered a second concussion but for the first time was like "Man, I feel like complete ****". I'm guessing the concussion symptoms eventual went away, the reason why he was able to come back and play in some games in Nov. & Dec. but the vertebrae issue went unchecked and was the main cause of the subsequent problems. Crosby's recovery seemed to take a big step forward once the vertebrate problem was identified, making it my lead speculation that he suffered the initial concussion and vertebrae injury at the same time, recovered from the concussion but had re-occurring problems because of the undiagnosed vertebrate injury, which had symptoms that were easily misunderstood to be stemming from a concussion instead of the neck problems.

That's my theory on the whole fiasco, take it for what it's worth, not much.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

He had one concussion that they claim happened on the Hedman hit but others like Keith Primeau have speculated that the hit at the winter classic could have been the source of his problems and maybe the Hedman hit just exacerbated his symptoms.

He also had a weird deep tissue injury that has been linked to concussion symptoms in the past with other people but they don't know if it was causing his symptoms because he did actually have a severe concussion, not just the deep tissue injury.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Feline leukemia.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:08 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Nobody will ever really know, it's best not to think about it IMO.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:50 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Nobody will ever really know, it's best not to think about it IMO.
You are an affront to science

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

From everything I've gathered, I feel like he may have had a more serious neck injury than people understood at the time, and that said injury was what caused such a long delay vs. a concussion-only situation. As to how the neck injury happened, I'd say 70% Hedman, 30% stupid habit of whipping his head back at various times in his career, which might've weakened tissues in that area or made him more susceptible than he would've been otherwise. But I'm 0% doctor so that's all conjecture.

To me the way things panned out suggests it was more than just a concussion that caused his symptoms and problem and the duration of the problem. Let's hope his neck is stronger now and that he never again whips his head back to draw a penalty because Sid is human and humans do stupid things sometimes, and that is really ****ing stupid.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Til the End of Time

it really makes no sense at all. best not to think about it and pray its all in the past.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:26 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

I don't think he understood how injured he was on the first one. The Hedman hit was from behind, but perfectly routine. Probably, could've gooned him up a bit. Kicked his ash or whatever. I don't think the Kreijci elbow putting him out really surprised anyone.

The blindside hit is clearly what did the most harm.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Parise9Crosby87

it was all steckel i think he got one in the wc and hedman just made it worst

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:10 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
It's been confirmed that he had second impact syndrome after the Hedman hit. He was confirmed dead after the game, but the league kept it a secret to avoid the PR ramifications. He was secretly replaced by a lookalike, Matt Duchene's cousin Cletus Duchene.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:18 AM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
It's been confirmed that he had second impact syndrome after the Hedman hit.
Yeah...I had more than a few lols when people were suggesting that. Thanks for reminding me.

canadianguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:51 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

People are getting uptight about this pretty easily.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote