HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Devils prospect swap

Old
09-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Personally, I'd like to keep Merril, Gelinas, Scarlett, and Severson.

Severson looks like he could be an outstanding pick, the WHL produces solid defensemen like it's nobodies business. He has the raw upside to be a guy like Keith or Weber.

Urbom could be a nice Coburn-esque player, maybe not as good but similar style. Burlon could be like another Andy Greene, but I am personally not too high on either one.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I hesitate to consider trades based on HF rating. There is wide variation between individual writers on the grades they give their team's prospects, and so the ratings aren't nearly reliable enough to accurately determine a prospect's value.
That's like saying player X is just as good as player Y because they make the same amount of money.

You can't really put too much value in those types of things, to be honest.

I like the Urbom trade with Chicago posted earlier, but I don't know why CHI would do that lol.

Last edited by Zippy316: 09-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old
09-12-2012, 06:29 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

The Devils and Wings may not be good trading partners in roster players, but I could definitely see a NJ defenseman prospect swap with a DET forward prospect.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 07:13 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddabombs View Post
To Tampa Bay:
Eric Gelinas
5th rounder 2013

To New Jersey:
Cory Conacher

Just blind firing at this point, thoughts?
I do this. CC is legit.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
So it goes.

Quick rundown on these guys? Offensive, defensive defensemen?

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Quick rundown on these guys? Offensive, defensive defensemen?
Merrill - Two Way
Urbom - Not 100% sure
Gelinas - Offensive
Scarlett - Offensive
Severson - Two Way

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
To add to that:

Merrill: plays a solid positional game, great skater, excellent puck distributor in the offensive zone
Urbom: likes to play physical, decent shot, very mobile, loves having the puck on his stick, can be caught out of position when he goes for a big hit
Gelinas: very large player with ability to play physical and nasty, skates well for a big man, very good shot from the PP point, needs to work a bit on his defence
Scarlett: smallish player, needs to build up his size, very slick puck mover, good skater, eats minutes for a weak team in the WHL
Burlon: strong defensively, good on the boards, good first pass, two-way minded defenceman
Severson: don't know as much about him because he's a recent draftee, but he is reputed to be fairly solid at everything, and doesn't stand out too much in any one area, a kind of jack of all trades

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 10:22 PM
hlaverty06

Urbom's a big guy who will fight (he is a Swede) and has some nice offensive skill.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 10:52 PM
ssk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
To add to that:

Merrill: plays a solid positional game, great skater, excellent puck distributor in the offensive zone
Urbom: likes to play physical, decent shot, very mobile, loves having the puck on his stick, can be caught out of position when he goes for a big hit
Gelinas: very large player with ability to play physical and nasty, skates well for a big man, very good shot from the PP point, needs to work a bit on his defence
Scarlett: smallish player, needs to build up his size, very slick puck mover, good skater, eats minutes for a weak team in the WHL
Burlon: strong defensively, good on the boards, good first pass, two-way minded defenceman
Severson: don't know as much about him because he's a recent draftee, but he is reputed to be fairly solid at everything, and doesn't stand out too much in any one area, a kind of jack of all trades
you nailed each player right on.

ssk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Billdo

vCash: 50
In order of most likely to be moved I'd have to say 1. Urbom 2.Burlon 3.Gelinas 4. Scarlett 5. Severson 6.Merrill with 1 being most likely and 6 basically being not moved at all unless overpayment. I've always liked Urbom and Gelinas, but if they can be moved for forwards, the other prospects in our D pool SHOULD be well enough along to step in when Tallinder, Greene, Volch are all finishing up their contracts.

Billdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:40 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

We don't have a ton of Urbom highlights, but this one is my favorite. If he could get is defensive game in check, he could be a very good NHL D man. Smooth skater with a lot of size.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 09:10 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I have no idea why Merrill is tagged as a untouchable by the majority of our fanbase. He's a "ok" looking prospect but he isn't a can't miss prospect IMO.

I'd package him with a roster player for a top 6 forward. We've been loading up on blueliners threw the draft for the past couple of years and we have a bunch of good looking prospects, so it's not like we'd be losing a key prospect while leaving a huge hole on our depth chart.

I honestly think that Gelinas has the biggest upside out of the entire bunch. With Larsson also in the shuffle and all the current players who are under contract for the next couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone get moved for immediate help on offense.

To me, there's no "untouchables" when you can improve your team when making a move.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
hes better than an OK prospect.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 09:48 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
hes better than an OK prospect.
He's not a can't miss, top pairing d-men... that's my point. Larsson is, Merrill isn't.

Moving Merrill wouldn't hurt us as much as some would think if we can land a young and solid top #6 forward.

With that said, he's far from being untouchable IMO.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 732DevilsFan View Post
In order of most likely to be moved I'd have to say 1. Urbom 2.Burlon 3.Gelinas 4. Scarlett 5. Severson 6.Merrill with 1 being most likely and 6 basically being not moved at all unless overpayment. I've always liked Urbom and Gelinas, but if they can be moved for forwards, the other prospects in our D pool SHOULD be well enough along to step in when Tallinder, Greene, Volch are all finishing up their contracts.
I agree, at least a couple of these guys will be moved, because if we hang onto them all, a couple will bust solely due to the logjam, and we won't get the best value out of those assets. Urbom is definitely the most likely to be considered expendable by Devils management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
He's not a can't miss, top pairing d-men... that's my point. Larsson is, Merrill isn't.

Moving Merrill wouldn't hurt us as much as some would think if we can land a young and solid top #6 forward.

He's not untouchable, but I think he is unlikely to be moved. Lou is definitely high on him, and thinks he will be an impact defenceman in the near future. His coach at Michigan compares him to Lidstrom in his style of play. I'd rather see how he adjusts to the professional game before dumping him.

His value also won't be as high as it should because other teams are wary of his personal issues and won't want to take him. Therefore he is worth more to the Devils than he is to any other team. Guys like that don't get traded.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Zippy316

Quote:

No one says he isn't a cant-miss.

But what we do know is he has the ability to max out as a top-pairing guy and if anything, he becomes a 4/5 two-way defensemen.

He is also our best defensive prospect right now.

Depending on the forward, Merrill would have to be the one that goes as he has the most value, but I think everyone on here will agree that they don't want to see him go.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:24 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:

He is a top pairing defensive prospect. He isn't a "can't miss" bluechipper like a Dougie Hamilton, but in a prospect pool that sorely lacks top end skill he's by far the most talented one that we have. This is a franchise that's had great success developing young defensemen, we aren't going to ship out an excellent prospect unless it's in a deal for a top player.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote