HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Do some people blame Mats Sundin for Brendan Shanahan not making the Hall of Fame?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-11-2012, 08:14 PM
  #1
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,975
vCash: 500
Do some people blame Mats Sundin for Brendan Shanahan not making the Hall of Fame?

A couple of months ago after the Hockey Hall of Fame announced the players going in this year I got the sense on here that some people blamed Mats Sundin for Brendan Shanahan not getting in on his first chance. Now my question is why does no one blame Adma Oates or Pavel Bure? Either of them could have waited at least 1 more year or does Sundin get blammed because he got in the first chance he could and Shanahan didn't. I don't include Joe Sakic because everyone agreed he was making it the first chance he was eligable.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:18 PM
  #2
VerySuperFamous
Registered User
 
VerySuperFamous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,160
vCash: 500
Bure and Oates waited longer probably

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:19 PM
  #3
Paris in Flames
Registered User
 
Paris in Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,445
vCash: 500
It doesn't really matter. He's going to get in. Shouldn't matter when.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:25 PM
  #4
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,204
vCash: 1937
I'm going to write him a stern letter.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
  #5
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,456
vCash: 500
Personally, I blame Mats Sundin for basically everything bad in my life

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
  #6
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,666
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Personally, I blame Mats Sundin for basically everything bad in my life
This. Some people say "damnit, Murphy" at mild inconveniences. I say "damnit, Sundin!"

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:57 PM
  #7
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Personally, I blame Mats Sundin for basically everything bad in my life
Remember that time that dog you cared about ran away? Wasn't Mats that time. IT WAS ME!

No, no one blames Sundin for Shanaban not getting in.

__________________
Shoot me a PM with your concerns. Also, come visit us in the Science Forum!
Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:57 PM
  #8
NaiveLeafsFan
Registered User
 
NaiveLeafsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ajax, UofT
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Personally, I blame Mats Sundin for basically everything bad in my life
Can't tell if serious, or a Leafs fan

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:00 PM
  #9
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
sundin shouldnt have been a first ballot hall of famer


Last edited by hyster110: 09-12-2012 at 07:11 AM.
hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:02 PM
  #10
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,639
vCash: 305
Sundin was better than Shanahan, so...

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
  #11
EDDIE20*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
sundin isnt a first ballot hall of famer
Neither is Shanahan apparently.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
  #12
Incognito
Registered User
 
Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
sundin isnt a first ballot hall of famer
It is actually a fact that Sundin is indeed a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:11 PM
  #13
Elever
Hth
 
Elever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
I blame the ridiculous exclusivity of the HOF and the 4 per yr rule. Dave Andrechyuk for example should be in the HOF and even he isn't.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:15 PM
  #14
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,204
vCash: 1937

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:16 PM
  #15
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I blame the ridiculous exclusivity of the HOF and the 4 per yr rule. Dave Andrechyuk for example should be in the HOF and even he isn't.
And that one year they took 2 ladies? Remember that?

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:22 PM
  #16
The Head Crusher
Moderator
 
The Head Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,384
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
A couple of months ago after the Hockey Hall of Fame announced the players going in this year I got the sense on here that some people blamed Mats Sundin for Brendan Shanahan not getting in on his first chance. Now my question is why does no one blame Adma Oates or Pavel Bure? Either of them could have waited at least 1 more year or does Sundin get blammed because he got in the first chance he could and Shanahan didn't. I don't include Joe Sakic because everyone agreed he was making it the first chance he was eligable.
Its because he is a Leaf to be honest. Many people though Sundin received extra votes that he probably didn't deserve just because of this fact.

__________________
The Head Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:26 PM
  #17
The Head Crusher
Moderator
 
The Head Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,384
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
And that one year they took 2 ladies? Remember that?
There is nothing wrong with that. Players like Granato and James helped to grow women's hockey to where it is today

The Head Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
  #18
TheGoldenJet
Registered User
 
TheGoldenJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Sundin was better than Shanahan, so...
I agree with this notion.

TheGoldenJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:30 PM
  #19
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,378
vCash: 500
It's Shanny's fault for not playing in Toronto.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
  #20
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
There is nothing wrong with that. Players like Granato and James helped to grow women's hockey to where it is today
Women's hockey has no diversity. They dominated in a sport that really only has two good teams. There were plenty of male players overlooked because of that.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:25 PM
  #21
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Its because he is a Leaf to be honest. Many people though Sundin received extra votes that he probably didn't deserve just because of this fact.
Doug Gilmour was also one of the most popular Maple Leafs players and he didn't get into the Hall of Fame on his 1st ballot. So that's why I don't believe your logic that Sundin got in based on the team he played for.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:29 PM
  #22
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,639
vCash: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Doug Gilmour was also one of the most popular Maple Leafs players and he didn't get into the Hall of Fame on his 1st ballot. So that's why I don't believe your logic that Sundin got in based on the team he played for.
Sundin got in because it was a weak year. No offense, I think Sundin was a great player and Hall of Fame worthy, but if he had to compete with a guy like Forsberg, Sundin would still be waiting imo. That said, Sundin undeniably deserves to go in over Shanny first.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:31 PM
  #23
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,657
vCash: 500
quite simply: yes. Sundin had the weakest case of those who made it this year, so he was and will continue to be blamed for shanahan not making it. In terms of optics, the inherent leafs bias (note the number of HOF voters with some connection to the franchise) in HOF voting does not help dispel the blame here.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
  #24
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
quite simply: yes. Sundin had the weakest case of those who made it this year, so he was and will continue to be blamed for shanahan not making it. In terms of optics, the inherent leafs bias (note the number of HOF voters with some connection to the franchise) in HOF voting does not help dispel the blame here.
Mats Sundin career stats: 564 Goals, 785 Assists, 1349 Points.

Pavel Bure career stats: 437 Goals, 342 Assists, 779 Points.

Based on those numbers Sundin deserved to be ahead of Pavel Bure. So if you ask me Bure is the one who should have not made it and he is the reason Shanhan didn't. So Bure should get the blame instead of Sundin.

Finally like I said before if there was Leafs bias then Doug Gilmour would have got in on his 1st ballot so that statement is false.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 11:48 PM
  #25
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,639
vCash: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Mats Sundin career stats: 564 Goals, 785 Assists, 1349 Points.

Pavel Bure career stats: 437 Goals, 342 Assists, 779 Points.

Adam Oates career stats: 341 Goals, 1079 Assists, 1420 Points.

Based on those numbers Sundin deserved to be ahead of Pavel Bure, so if you ask me Bure is the one who should have not made it, so he is the reason Shanhan didn't and Bure should get the blame instead of Sundin.
See, this is where I disagree. So far, Bure is the ONLY player to have won the Rocket three times. Obviously, someone like Stamkos or Ovechkin may win another or more, but that's something to consider. All Shanahan has is a Clancy, which is more indicative of personality and composure than skill as a player.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.