HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): The "Ruf"fled Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Schneider to retire.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Old
01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Why have the Phillies habitually been one of the cheapest in the entire league for spending in scouting, draft slot signings and international signings over the past 5 seasons?

Why have they habitually vowed to not cross the luxury tax line that Selig drew in the sand?

Why did Amaro not break the bank on the Uptons, Hamilton or any other number of FAs this past offseason?

The organization recognizes that their recent run as the "Yankees of the NL" is coming to a close, it'll help the average bandwagon fan to accept it as well sooner than later.
Except its not. They might not be as good in the next couple years, but they're about to make a **** ton of money. As long as they're good enough to keep drawing a decent crowd they'll be able to spend at least the same amount of money as they are now.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:09 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Sad, I liked him. Wanted him to get a ring.

01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
So is anyone else kind of hoping to see Ryan Howard's name down the road as one of the 11 out of 20 players not released in the Miami report this morning?

Anything to get out of that contract...
No. Not even close. One of the best players in franchise history and one of the key pieces that helped this team not only end its playoff-less streak, but also it's world series streak and MVPless streak? C'mon man.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Except its not. They might not be as good in the next couple years, but they're about to make a **** ton of money. As long as they're good enough to keep drawing a decent crowd they'll be able to spend at least the same amount of money as they are now.
This is correct. Based on TV viewership over the last several years, early projections have the Phillies signing the or one of the most lucrative TV contracts in sports franchise history. Let that sink in.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:00 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This is correct. Based on TV viewership over the last several years, early projections have the Phillies signing the or one of the most lucrative TV contracts in sports franchise history. Let that sink in.
I hope they get YES Network type deal.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
To me that's utterly mind-boggling. This team has been so mediocre, or worse, for most of my life that for them to get a massive deal like that seems impossible. I'm not complaining. I just hope they use that money WISELY.

I'm not sure Ruben is the sort to be able to do that, based on his moves so far (very NOT happy with the deal for Michael Young, since he doesn't even qualify as garbage at this point in time).

Old
02-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
To me that's utterly mind-boggling. This team has been so mediocre, or worse, for most of my life that for them to get a massive deal like that seems impossible. I'm not complaining. I just hope they use that money WISELY.
It is mind-boggling which is why I said it the way that I did. The Phillies were the among the most watched broadcast of any sporting team in any league over the last 5+ years. That is incredible. If the Phillies play their cards correctly with this contract, there's no reason why they can't maintain and carry a 200+ million dollar a year salary and still be more profitable than they have been over the last several years.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-02-1...cal-tv-ratings

Quote:
The Phillies’ payday is coming soon as their deal with Comcast expires after the 2015 season (the Rangers deal does not kick in until 2015). The Phillies led MLB in local television ratings in 2011, averaging a 9.7 on Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia. Ratings have increased for nine consecutive seasons and Philadelphia is the fourth biggest TV market in the U.S. The local rights fee for Phillies’ broadcasts was $25 million last year. The new deal will likely be three to four times that level. Yes, the Phillies can afford Cole Hamels.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbade...r-144-million/

Old
02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
CootaRoo

The new TV contract isn't going to fetch even close to what the Dodgers just got (early reports speculate 3.5-4 billion) - so while it will be a ton of money, it won't be THAT much relative to the rest of the league once the rest of the teams get their deals finalized (top 10, but not top 5 I'd reckon - likely behind NYY, LAD, LAA, NYM, TOR, TEX at least to name a few off the top of my head). You also still have the pesky fact that the organization always follows Selig's mandates and refuses to go over the luxury tax threshold because the commish doesn't want teams to do so.

I'm not saying we're going to go back to being paupers, but we won't (either) be the princes that the more naive are expecting - particuliarly with a middle of the road production 1B making 25M/year for the majority of this decade.

Old
02-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
The new TV contract isn't going to fetch even close to what the Dodgers just got (early reports speculate 3.5-4 billion) - so while it will be a ton of money, it won't be THAT much relative to the rest of the league once the rest of the teams get their deals finalized (top 10, but not top 5 I'd reckon - likely behind NYY, LAD, LAA, NYM, TOR, TEX at least to name a few off the top of my head). You also still have the pesky fact that the organization always follows Selig's mandates and refuses to go over the luxury tax threshold because the commish doesn't want teams to do so.

I'm not saying we're going to go back to being paupers, but we won't (either) be the princes that the more naive are expecting - particuliarly with a middle of the road production 1B making 25M/year for the majority of this decade.
Where do you get the impression that the Phillies would get less than the Dodgers? Do you have some source for this or is it just being pulled out of the air?

I know you love your statistics, so here we go!

Philadelphia is the 4th biggest media market and the Phillies themselves have often drawn higher ratings than the top 3 markets. Last season, the Phillies saw a dramatic decline in viewership and fell from #1 in 2011 to a tie with Detroit for #3 in 2012.

The Dodgers aren't in the top 5 and haven't been for years. In fact, the Dodgers in 2012 improved their ratings by 70% to reach a rating of 1.94 (like 23rd I believe in MLB). The Phillies saw a dramatic 38.6% dip in ratings and fell to 5.61 (7th in MLB).

I think you are seriously underestimating the Phillies next contract given how poor their current one is.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:49 PM
BringBackStevens

Money is one thing but having competant management is far more important. Rube is looking a lot more incompetant than competant at this point

Old
02-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Have they made the playoffs yet?

02-01-2013, 05:56 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Where do you get the impression that the Phillies would get less than the Dodgers? Do you have some source for this or is it just being pulled out of the air?

---

I think you are seriously underestimating the Phillies next contract given how poor their current one is.
The Dodgers drummed up a bidding war between companies. The Phillies only have Comcast in the area willing to pay them.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:36 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
A new thread has been opened.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1340409

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-02-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Closed Thread