HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

TotalOne replaced with Nexus via Bauer warranty, unintended trade up?

Old
09-04-2012, 04:10 PM
RalphWiggum

vCash: 500
TotalOne replaced with Nexus via Bauer warranty, unintended trade up?

So I broke a TotalOne (LH, P88, 102 flex) the other week, and Bauer was nice enough to replace it even though it was out of warranty by a couple of weeks. My replacement came today and they sent me a Nexus 1000 instead (curious they didn't send me a TotalOne NXG).

I just took it out of the box and stickhandled around a little bit with a baseball and wow does it feel different than the TO. I know there are some inherent differences with the sticks and I've met only one person that's used the Nexus, in fact they made the same switch from the TO, and they gave the Nexus positive reviews.

I get to test it out tomorrow night on the ice and I'm pretty pumped to see how it performs.

I'm wondering if this is an inadvertent trade up going to the Nexus from the TO.

And if anyone has experience between Nexus and TO whether I should cut the Nexus the same length as I cut my TO given the same curve/lie/flex? In other words would the different kick points between the two sticks alter where I'd cut the shaft?

RalphWiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 04:22 PM
AIREAYE

Makes sense to me. They wouldn't send you an NXG because it isn't released yet and they are out of the original T1.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 04:35 PM
RalphWiggum

Yeah, I'm not upset that they didn't send me the same stick back and I suppose you're right that if the NXG hasn't been released they aren't going to send it, I was more wondering if anyone thinks I ended up with a better stick as a result of this exchange?

Now I've followed the threads about sticks a bit the past couple of days and I agree with the general consensus that there are no "better sticks" it all comes down to personal preference. However, I've seen there are also people here that have strong opinions on the differences between various models and product lines of a given manufacturer, so I'm just looking to get some feedback from those that have tried both sticks.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
jsykes

It's a different stick of the same general quality, weight and performance. It's not better or worse, just different.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:21 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

TotalOne, APX, and Nexus are the same quality, just preferance.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep, it's all preference. Everyone RAVED about the One95, yet I had two of them and could never feel comfortable. I LOVED my X:60. I'm curious about the Nexus 1000, but don't have any money.

It's pretty common for companies to replace discontinued sticks with different models (equivalent). I've even heard some TPS sticks were replaced with Sherwood when they were bought out.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 10:55 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I had the TO and I move to the Nexus 1000, b/c I wanted to try something that had a quicker release as I was going to be playing forward again.

I really like the stick and it has pretty much played as advertised. In close shots really pop off this stick and my snap shot has really improved. The TO was/is better for wrist shots that you have time to load up on. Slap shots seem to be about the same with maybe a slight edge going to the TO.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 11:17 AM
RalphWiggum

So I was fortunately able to use the Nexus yesterday afternoon at stick and puck session before my game later that night.

I went with it uncut to S&P and it was definitely a bouncier feel than the T1, similar to the X60 I had last year. It took a while to find exactly where the kick point was but once I found it the puck snapped beautifully off the blade.

Cut it down to the same length as my T1 for my game and that took some of the bounciness out of it. It definitely flings the pucks with snapshots and zips quick passes better than the T1 but I give the T1 a better edge in providing a heavier feeling shot.

The only drawback is that I got the clear version and as opposed to the T1 which has the tacspiral texture down most of the shaft the Nexus is a very slick texture and i would consider getting the grip version if I get another one.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphWiggum View Post
The only drawback is that I got the clear version and as opposed to the T1 which has the tacspiral texture down most of the shaft the Nexus is a very slick texture and i would consider getting the grip version if I get another one.
A little bit of light sandpapering could fix that up for you by removing some of the shine.

Either that, or throwing a little bit of tape around the shaft to add some grip.

Old
09-06-2012, 02:55 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
A little bit of light sandpapering could fix that up for you by removing some of the shine.

Either that, or throwing a little bit of tape around the shaft to add some grip.
unlike the t1, the clear version of the nexus has a matte finish so sandpapering won't accomplish anything.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
unlike the t1, the clear version of the nexus has a matte finish so sandpapering won't accomplish anything.
How about that, thanks!

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 04:30 PM
wreckless

how long is the warrenty on a t1?

wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 04:33 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
how long is the warrenty on a t1?
Same as most other sticks; 30 days from purchase, not 30 days from first use.

Old
09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
factsarefacts

nexus was supposed to be similar feel to easton flex. IIRC.

factsarefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 08:47 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphWiggum View Post
So I was fortunately able to use the Nexus yesterday afternoon at stick and puck session before my game later that night.

I went with it uncut to S&P and it was definitely a bouncier feel than the T1, similar to the X60 I had last year. It took a while to find exactly where the kick point was but once I found it the puck snapped beautifully off the blade.

Cut it down to the same length as my T1 for my game and that took some of the bounciness out of it. It definitely flings the pucks with snapshots and zips quick passes better than the T1 but I give the T1 a better edge in providing a heavier feeling shot.

use a grip stick!

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:00 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsarefacts View Post
nexus was supposed to be similar feel to easton flex. IIRC.
Nope, very different.