HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bulldogs sign Stefan Chaput, Daultan Leveille and Olivier Fortier

Old
09-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

vCash: 500
Bulldogs sign Stefan Chaput, Daultan Leveille and Olivier Fortier

Quote:
Montreal Canadiens Executive Vice President and General Manager Marc Bergevin announced today that the Hamilton Bulldogs have signed Stefan Chaput, Olivier Fortier and Daultan Leveille to one-year, two-way American Hockey League / ECHL contracts for the 2012-2013 season. As per club policy, financial terms of the agreements were not disclosed.
http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/pres...?article_id=49

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Dan Kramer ‏@DailyCanadiens
Leveille, a 5'11" center, was actually a 1st round pick of the Atlanta Thrashers (29th overall) back in 2008. College career went nowhere.

Dan Kramer ‏@DailyCanadiens
Chaput, 24, has played for 4 different #AHL teams since 2009-10. 6'0" forward, 2006 Carolina 5th rounder. #Habs

And we should all be familiar with Fortier.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
yoteshot

Leveille is freaking fast. That's all there is though.

yoteshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Calder Cup, baby!!!

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Et le But

Great news for Wheeling.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
ThaDevilGirl

It's good for when the NHL comes back.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Roulin

I wonder if this is a ripple effect from the probability of locked out NHL'ers going overseas? Especially Fortier, seems like he would have been better off (more money, better conditions) starting a European career, rather than going back to the AHL.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Whether there's an NHL season, or not, 2 of these 3 should be in the ECHL at least.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Whether there's an NHL season, or not, 2 of these 3 should be in the ECHL at least.
I'm guessing Lefebvre and Berger get sent down, plus Leveille?

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 02:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Not sure why they signed Leveille, he really struggled in his Senior year but perhaps it will work out for him in the ECHL. Would rather they keep an eye on either of Chelios's kids who were his teammates at Michigan St last year.

I don't know the story on Stephane Chaput last year but I liked him when he was with Lewiston and should be a good depth guy to have around.

Nice to see Fortier back for depth as well.

Still would like to see a veteran D added.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:09 PM
MXD

Fortier would be an ideal 4th line C or something. And, who knows, he might offered an Habs contract afterwards -- it's not like an NHL team will offer him one at this point.

Chaput : Interesting depth.

Leveillé : I don't get it.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I wonder if this is a ripple effect from the probability of locked out NHL'ers going overseas? Especially Fortier, seems like he would have been better off (more money, better conditions) starting a European career, rather than going back to the AHL.
I wonder what's up with Massé. He finally became a serviceable AHLer last year. LNAH for him?

It's funny because Yannick Riendeau, Sébastien Piché, Matthew Pistilli and Cédric Lalonde-McNicoll are still UFAs. Those guys were the Q overagers that we needed to signed according to Normand Flynn and Gaston Therrien back in 2009.

Fortunately we won "le derby Danny Massé"...

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
I wonder what's up with Massé. He finally became a serviceable AHLer last year. LNAH for him?

It's funny because Yannick Riendeau, Sébastien Piché, Matthew Pistilli and Cédric Lalonde-McNicoll are still UFAs. Those guys were the Q overagers that we needed to signed according to Normand Flynn and Gaston Therrien back in 2009.

Personally I would have rather they signed Massé to an AHL contract then Fortier, as I thought Massé played better last year but with a lockout could mean guys on the bubble in the AHL will be pushed to the ECHL or will have to look overseas for jobs.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:53 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Personally I would have rather they signed Massé to an AHL contract then Fortier, as I thought Massé played better last year but with a lockout could mean guys on the bubble in the AHL will be pushed to the ECHL or will have to look overseas for jobs.
The thing is --- Fortier has a shot, albeit a really remote one, to be of some use to the Habs in the future. Massé doesn't.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post

Masse is sitting out a year and will play for McGill starting in Sept 2013.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Maybe it's to continue our collection of guys with french names who don't speak french?

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Fortier would be an ideal 4th line C or something. And, who knows, he might offered an Habs contract afterwards -- it's not like an NHL team will offer him one at this point.

Chaput : Interesting depth.

His former agent is now the president of the Bulldogs. Makes it easier to "get".

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:00 PM
HABitual Fan

These are really disappointing signings compared to what other teams have done. If we want to see the team have a fighting chance they need to surround the rookies with some solid veterans. Hamilton lacks the top-end youth from the NHL the other organizations have sent down, and the veteran presence other teams have. With an NHL lock-out I would imagine the free-agents still out there would love to get a paycheck since they are not good enough to find spots in the European leagues with all the NHLers signing there.

M Darche
D Jancevski
J Cheechoo
D Moore
A Brunette
T Kostopoulos

As a comparison the Marlies have got Aucoin, Zigomanis,Ranger, Hamilton, Koska and Fraser as veterans while Hamilton has St. Denis and Hagel. As it is now Hamilton is the youngest team in the AHL according to Elite Prospects.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/teams_...eID=8&sort=age

here are the current AHL rosters to compare to

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...php?leagueid=8

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:21 PM
franck50

Both McNicoll and Massé are going to play for McGill in 2013....they gonna sit out a year for that

PS : McGill is going to be a major contender for the CIS title in 2013

franck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:25 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by franck50 View Post
Both McNicoll and Massé are going to play for McGill in 2013....they gonna sit out a year for that

PS : McGill is going to be a major contender for the CIS title in 2013
Time for a repeat!

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I like Chaput's signing. Was always a fan of him, yet knowing his limitations as well. Fortier, well, they know him, know what he can do. I guess that's fine with me.

Leveille is quite intriguing. First, this is why the draft day "winners" and "losers" are just a game, nothing else. Yet, will always have fun playing it, but people should chill in saying that you never know who really win 'cause you don't know that draft day. I know. We know. But Leveille was seen as a potential steal prior to the draft if he would have been chosen in the 2nd round and some were still calling him a darkhorse even if he was chosen in the 1st. But then reality kicks in and you just can't like a kid who has seen such a regression in his game from the 1st to the last year in College. I guess he's worth a shot with all the promises some had in him. You do wonder what kind of role Dudley played in this since he was in the Thrashers organization.

The only think that this makes me believe is that we will be more present in the Wheeling organization.....

My main problem though with not necessary those signings, but the look of the team in general is that there are not a lot of veterans who can lead the way. I know, you don't want those to take the rookies icetime, yet, I believe that you need a good mix so that your youngsters do learn in a winning atmosphere.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I like Chaput's signing. Was always a fan of him, yet knowing his limitations as well. Fortier, well, they know him, know what he can do. I guess that's fine with me.

Leveille is quite intriguing. First, this is why the draft day "winners" and "losers" are just a game, nothing else. Yet, will always have fun playing it, but people should chill in saying that you never know who really win 'cause you don't know that draft day. I know. We know. But Leveille was seen as a potential steal prior to the draft if he would have been chosen in the 2nd round and some were still calling him a darkhorse even if he was chosen in the 1st. But then reality kicks in and you just can't like a kid who has seen such a regression in his game from the 1st to the last year in College. I guess he's worth a shot with all the promises some had in him. You do wonder what kind of role Dudley played in this since he was in the Thrashers organization.

The only think that this makes me believe is that we will be more present in the Wheeling organization.....

My main problem though with not necessary those signings, but the look of the team in general is that there are not a lot of veterans who can lead the way. I know, you don't want those to take the rookies icetime, yet, I believe that you need a good mix so that your youngsters do learn in a winning atmosphere.
Duds was with the Hawks when Leveille was drafted. I was with McKeen's at the time...we ranked him at the end of the second round..lots of speed but he was a really skinny kid who was afraid of his own shadow playing in a league
(OJHL) where you had to do a lot of projecting. I thought Atlanta was rather ballsy (and frankly a little nutty) to pick another potential bust with a first rounder after drafting players like Bourret - what that club needed was surefire future NHL talent, not reaches with issues to overcome.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Duds was with the Hawks when Leveille was drafted. I was with McKeen's at the time...we ranked him at the end of the second round..lots of speed but he was a really skinny kid who was afraid of his own shadow playing in a league
(OJHL) where you had to do a lot of projecting. I thought Atlanta was rather ballsy (and frankly a little nutty) to pick another potential bust with a first rounder after drafting players like Bourret - what that club needed was surefire future NHL talent, not reaches with issues to overcome.
I know Dudley didn't draft him but didn't he came on board in 2009 and after so he might have had a chance to see or hear about Daultan? Just trying to see the correlation here and why we'd be interested in him.

As far as the draft himself, well you were right. I didn't have him in the 1st either. But the kid was not going to pass the 2nd round. Yet, I do remember his name as a possible darkhorse. The fun part of the prospect evaluation.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:32 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Maybe it's to continue our collection of guys with french names who don't speak french?
Does he?

"Son of Fernand and Laurie Leveille" and eliteprospects has him as Leveillé, I doubt they do that for fun.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
Does he?

"Son of Fernand and Laurie Leveille" and eliteprospects has him as Leveillé, I doubt they do that for fun.
No chance he's french with a father named Fernand. Can't get more british than that

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote