HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Chicago signs Rozsival 1y/2m

Old
09-11-2012, 04:04 PM
doublejack

vCash: 500
Chicago signs Rozsival 1y/2m

Right handed, steady stay-at-home D who is borderline 2nd/3rd pairing and played 19ish minutes a night last season for the Yotes. Did pretty well for what he was asked to do.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nhl/s...les/57749668/1

Meanwhile...

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Rzombo4 prez

That is a kick in the nuts

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:44 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Yeah not real happy about this series of events. He was the guy I really wanted as the vet d-man. Actually cheaper and less term than I thought he would get. Wonder how his knee is after the Brown hit. Hope Kenny shot in the 40's on the back nine

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:48 PM
fimoknete

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Meanwhile...

what else is new? we better get used to that.

rozsival would have been a nice addition and a true development from now.
actually i wouldnt mind to see kenny only golfing and somebody else doing the business in detroit.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 04:58 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Who cares, there won't be any nhl hockey for a calender year anyways

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Why the heck did they sign him? They don't need them, they already have seven defensemen. In any case... Screw you Holland. COME ON. You can't pay Rozsival 2 million a year? What the heck is going on?!

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
meh, not a huge deal. Between him, Kubina and CC I don't really care.

09-11-2012, 06:54 PM
InjuredChoker

This offseason just keeps getting better and better.

This isn't a kick in the nuts but I'd have liked Rozsival at that term. Even little higher.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 06:57 PM
jroc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Why the heck did they sign him? They don't need them, they already have seven defensemen. In any case... Screw you Holland. COME ON. You can't pay Rozsival 2 million a year? What the heck is going on?!
Because thyve apparently been shopping Kjalmarrson and/or Leddy all summer trying to add another weapon upfront.

Signing a competent vet makes someone expendable and wont leave a gaping hole in their lineup when someones sent packing.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Melbourne Ice
Happy Happy Happy!

Send a message via Yahoo to Melbourne Ice
Rozsival at one year, 2 mill would have been a good fallback to CC turning down 2 years at 2.7 mill.

Melbourne Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Sadekuuro

Ugh. We couldn't have paid that pittance for veteran help?

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Would've like to get him but oh well. Probably just gonna sign CarloCo or Kubina.

And I'm off before this turns into another flame Holland thread...

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Claypool

Maybe he wanted to sign in Chicago?

Claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:22 PM
crashman

vCash: 1376
I'd have been fine with $3m+ on a 1 year deal for Rozsival. I honestly doubt Holland is going to find any better way to spend the cap space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Maybe he wanted to sign in Chicago?
That's very possible, but when you consider the fact that the Wings have 6 defenseman signed and are in need of a top 4 defenseman, so he was pretty much guaranteed a decent amount of IT...

and Chicago now has 8 d-men signed...he must have REALLY wanted to play in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Would've like to get him but oh well. Probably just gonna sign CarloCo or Kubina.

And I'm off before this turns into another flame Holland thread...
In this case, I think the flaming is pretty well deserved. It's been an dreadful off-season.

Last edited by crashman: 09-11-2012 at 07:32 PM.
crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 07:57 PM
P U L L H A R D
#shewenttoharvard

vCash: 420
I've tried to keep an even keel on this offseason, but my lord ... getting pretty tired of Holland and friends happy fun time reunion featuring your favourite old cast off Swedish role players. The D is paper thin and Roszi would've been so helpful. Damn.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
I wonder who Chicago dumps?

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:24 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I wonder who Chicago dumps?
If he is over 50, Holland will aggressively pursue him.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:42 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
meh, not a huge deal. Between him, Kubina and CC I don't really care.
I do care. In fact I'm frankly befuddled by Holland on this one. Why in the world did her pursue CC and not Rozsival? For one because Rozsival agreed to a better term and cap hit than CC evidently will. The second reason is CC being left handed and the only righty on D at present is White. Finally, CC is not the stay at home type that we really need, he is more of a pmd. CC averaged 16 seconds a game SH last season, while Rozsival logged almost 2 minutes a night. So what gives? Has he gone senile and still thinking he needs to replace Rafalski? Maybe he doesn't like White? Or maybe he forgot that Lidstrom used to kill penalties and not just man the point on the PP.

Kubina is a year older than Rozsival, but otherwise I suppose would suit our needs. Like Rozsival he is right handed and logged about 19 minutes a game (2 SH), but he is also bigger and hits more. I would rather have the more mobile Rozsival, especially considering I expected him to be far more expensive, but whatever.

I'm really hoping we get Kubina at this point. He is basically the last option on the market to provide the depth we so desperately need. Ideally we would get a top pairing guy, but since that won't happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
This offseason just keeps getting better and better.

This isn't a kick in the nuts but I'd have liked Rozsival at that term. Even little higher.
No kidding. Dude had a cap hit of 5M last season, so he signs a one year flier for 2M? That's a bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
I'd have been fine with $3m+ on a 1 year deal for Rozsival. I honestly doubt Holland is going to find any better way to spend the cap space.

That's very possible, but when you consider the fact that the Wings have 6 defenseman signed and are in need of a top 4 defenseman, so he was pretty much guaranteed a decent amount of IT...

and Chicago now has 8 d-men signed...he must have REALLY wanted to play in Chicago.

Agreed on your first point. We have money to burn, and even if the cap is lowered substantially will still have plenty of room and nothing to spend it on. So we should have been in the bidding on this.

As to your second point, the rumor is that Chicago out bid the Rags for Rozsival. I do not think the city or opportunity had much of anything to do with it, I believe it was all about $$$. That being the case, Detroit had the capability to come in and win this bidding war, handily I will add.

This is not directed at any poster specifically, but I can't see how anyone is happy with our GM right now. He has failed miserably at his job this summer, as he did last summer, and as he did during the past couple of seasons. This team is getting worse and worse as he sits on his laurels and recycles the same tired players. I'm out for a while. Lockout or no lockout, my interest in the Wings is waning because of our do-nothing, useless GM.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Animus

Is Rozsival even okay from getting that knee to knee check in the playoffs last year??

Animus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Here we go again. Every second rate signing turns into a Holland bash fest.

Rozsival is an insurance option, not a difference maker. That's it.

And it's kind of weird to see how many people are in the "play the kids" camp, yet when the Hawks sign an injured, slow 34-year-old, suddenly we need more old dudes in the room.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 09:18 AM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
You say this as if he has made a first rate signing or trade in the past couple years. The problem is a lot deeper than any second rate signing.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 10:00 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Is Rozsival even okay from getting that knee to knee check in the playoffs last year??
I hope that is the reason why we didn't sign him; he's not healthy. That's the only way I can get this. Or Rozsival hates Wings just so bad.

Kubina.. I think he's done. He was bad in Tampa and bad in Philadelphia and sometimes absolutely atrocious.

But there aren't really many other options here.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I hope that is the reason why we didn't sign him; he's not healthy. That's the only way I can get this. Or Rozsival hates Wings just so bad.

Kubina.. I think he's done. He was bad in Tampa and bad in Philadelphia and sometimes absolutely atrocious.

But there aren't really many other options here.
Considering he played 65 games two years ago and just 54 games last year, any questions about Rozsival's health are fair. Of course, CC's not exactly the epitome of health, either.

Quote:
I do care. In fact I'm frankly befuddled by Holland on this one. Why in the world did her pursue CC and not Rozsival? For one because Rozsival agreed to a better term and cap hit than CC evidently will. The second reason is CC being left handed and the only righty on D at present is White. Finally, CC is not the stay at home type that we really need, he is more of a pmd. CC averaged 16 seconds a game SH last season, while Rozsival logged almost 2 minutes a night. So what gives? Has he gone senile and still thinking he needs to replace Rafalski? Maybe he doesn't like White? Or maybe he forgot that Lidstrom used to kill penalties and not just man the point on the PP.

Kubina is a year older than Rozsival, but otherwise I suppose would suit our needs. Like Rozsival he is right handed and logged about 19 minutes a game (2 SH), but he is also bigger and hits more. I would rather have the more mobile Rozsival, especially considering I expected him to be far more expensive, but whatever.

I'm really hoping we get Kubina at this point. He is basically the last option on the market to provide the depth we so desperately need. Ideally we would get a top pairing guy, but since that won't happen...
Lidstrom also didn't take any PK time in the playoffs, and we brought Quincey in who has experience eating PK minutes. If we look at running Kronwall, Ericsson and Q out there for two minutes a piece, at least, that shouldn't leave a gob of PK time to eat unless the league goes penalty happy again. At that point, I think I'd rather look at it as a good opportunity to force their hands a bit and push Smith/Kindl into some more IT.

With the UFA D currently on the market, I'm just not a big fan of any of them and don't view any of them being awfully better than the other. All of them are stop gaps and depth at this point. I think waiting to see if anything shakes loose with a new CBA is a fine move, and if not just sign whoever's left to give us some vet depth.

With the rumored push for CC, it was before labor negotiations started. As the CBA talks have gotten muddied, the Wings have gotten quieter. The big news the other day was Emmerton switching numbers to 25.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
You say this as if he has made a first rate signing or trade in the past couple years. The problem is a lot deeper than any second rate signing.
It's my feeling that the lack of movement from the Wings is what's causing this kind of overreaction to the signing of an oft injured 34-year-old on the downside of his career.

While the finger pointing over the Suter situation was ridiculous, at least not getting Suter was an ACTUAL problem.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post

Rozsival is an insurance option, not a difference maker. That's it.

And it's kind of weird to see how many people are in the "play the kids" camp, yet when the Hawks sign an injured, slow 34-year-old, suddenly we need more old dudes in the room.
Yep. Rozsival sucks. Many people here don't realize that he's a shadow of the player he was even three seasons ago.

Quote:
No kidding. Dude had a cap hit of 5M last season, so he signs a one year flier for 2M? That's a bargain.
That reasoning makes no sense. Rozsival's cap hit was so high for two reasons: one, he was a pretty good defenseman when he signed his last contract; and two, his last contract was a Glen Sather special (i.e. the usual type of overpayment doled out by that general manager). Now Rozsival is a mediocre defenseman who is questionable in his own end, poor in the offensive zone (which is where his prime talent use to lie), and very bad at skating. $2m is perhaps more than he's worth.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote