HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Bay Bone

vCash: 500
Way to much hate for the game going on here.

The game is outstanding.

1. For all you who hate the skating, you may have never actually played at high speeds before. This is the most realistic the game has ever been.

2. "You shouldn't have to slow down to make accurate passes and/or shots"....hmmm again the real game of hockey is not easy and this aspect is true to the sport.

3. "Its too hard to score" "The most random goals happen"... have you watched the NHL and the bounces that happen? Please watch some full game highlights and not just TSN highlights where amazing goals are scored. There are crazy bounces and lucky goals all the time. And as for its too hard to score, well turn it to rookie and practice from there then and try shooting more to get the lucky goals.

4. "The BeAGm trading is awful". Turn it on difficult and just remember that players do go for less then they are "valued" every year. Dont like how you can fleece another GM? Then don't do it, its a simple solution ladies.

5. "The goalies make ridiculous saves and i cant score on cross crease passes" Oh this one urks me. It now takes skill and luck to win games, "gamers" that know the easy ways to score are not winning games anymore, which is absolutely how it should be. Cross crease goals work all the time still, you just need to set them up perfectly...again like a real game of hockey.

All in all...its not perfect, no game is. However, the things people are complaining about are atrocious to say the least. You are playing a video game controlling 1-6 players against a COMPUTER or ANOTHER PERSON AROUND THE WORLD. This in itself is amazing. EA will never make a "perfect" game, they need things to build on each year to sell more. Its a business in the end.

Next time you're playing think of what you are doing and the magnificence of it all.

End rant.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:09 AM
SteelCitySaviour

Send a message via AIM to SteelCitySaviour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
This.... and although we'll all figure it out and master it, the whole "trading block" thing is EA just out thinking themselves. If I want to put Jagr on the trading block, it's a lot easier to choose Jagr, than writing a report on what Im looking to give up and then never receiving an offer for said player.

They needed to take the good things and expand on them. Instead, this is seriously just the same as last year with limited change and nothing of new significance.
you still put players on the block...just go to the right screen

Old
09-13-2012, 08:37 AM
hockeyarena

vCash: 1503
FYI guys if your gm connected app won't connect. Go to the Ps3 store comments about 10 comments down and it's a list of steps of how to fix it. Something about going to origin website and choosing your default persona, then logging out and logging back in of the app.

Worked for me.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Grandpabuzz

Send a message via AIM to Grandpabuzz
Got the game and managed to play 2 games last night.

I used a set of All-star sliders from the slider subsection of the operations sports forum (12 mins, game speed 1, max attributes). Overall the game played really well with those settings.

My first game was Chicago (me) vs. Phoenix. Score ended up being 3-0 Chicago but with shots around 40-21 in favor of Phoenix.

First goal was one of my players dumping the puck in, one of the Phoenix dman gets to it first, but Kane (with his amazing speed) manages to tie the dman at the endboards and then passes the puck to an open Bickell who wrists it top left.

Second goal was Mayers carrying the puck in and waiting until the zone got set up. I later pass it to Carcillo who immediately passes it to Keith at the point who then takes a slapshot and gets it pass Smith.

Third goal was an empty-netter from Brunette.

Overall a pretty fun game.

My second game was a Winter Classic OT thriller with the Pens (me) vs. the Caps. Final score was 4-3 in favor of me after being down 3-1 at the end of the second. Total shots were reasonable 33-32, even though Washington had 18 after the first period.

2 of Washington's goals came on the Powerplay, one of them being a "face-off" win shot by Ovechkin (which was executed way to fast IMO). The other two goals were a point shot by Carlson and a semi-wrap around goal by Carlson.

My goals included a SH goal breakway goal by Cooke, a goal similar to the "dump" goal I scored in the Chicago game by Talbot, a point shot by Orpik (lol) and a wrister in the slot by Dupuis after getting on the PP in OT and intercepting a clearing attempt by WSH.

Overall both games were fun with the sliders I was using. I never felt cheated with the exception of the Ovechkin goal. I will say that the CPU likes to shoot a lot more when entering the zone instead of setting up plays.

Penalties were ok for me. I had 3 total in the CHI game and I think 6-7 in the PIT game. I'll try to get in some more games tonight, but overall I'm pretty impressed this year.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Heisenberg77

Why the hell does every ******* player have Zdeno Chara-powered slapshots and Ovy-powered wristers? Even with sliders lowered it's ridiculous.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I'm glad I don't play Be a GM. Yikes.

EASHL has been fun. There are a bunch of growing pains though. After playing so many games from NHL 09 to 12, it's hard breaking old habits. Cross creases and quick turns are a thing of the past.

Last edited by Indy on the Road: 09-13-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old
09-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafinsider View Post

The game is outstanding.

1. For all you who hate the skating, you may have never actually played at high speeds before. This is the most realistic the game has ever been.

2. "You shouldn't have to slow down to make accurate passes and/or shots"....hmmm again the real game of hockey is not easy and this aspect is true to the sport.

3. "Its too hard to score" "The most random goals happen"... have you watched the NHL and the bounces that happen? Please watch some full game highlights and not just TSN highlights where amazing goals are scored. There are crazy bounces and lucky goals all the time. And as for its too hard to score, well turn it to rookie and practice from there then and try shooting more to get the lucky goals.

4. "The BeAGm trading is awful". Turn it on difficult and just remember that players do go for less then they are "valued" every year. Dont like how you can fleece another GM? Then don't do it, its a simple solution ladies.

5. "The goalies make ridiculous saves and i cant score on cross crease passes" Oh this one urks me. It now takes skill and luck to win games, "gamers" that know the easy ways to score are not winning games anymore, which is absolutely how it should be. Cross crease goals work all the time still, you just need to set them up perfectly...again like a real game of hockey.

All in all...its not perfect, no game is. However, the things people are complaining about are atrocious to say the least. You are playing a video game controlling 1-6 players against a COMPUTER or ANOTHER PERSON AROUND THE WORLD. This in itself is amazing. EA will never make a "perfect" game, they need things to build on each year to sell more. Its a business in the end.

Next time you're playing think of what you are doing and the magnificence of it all.

End rant.

Agreed. I was a huge EA hater because of last year's garbage where cross crease was the only move. I wasn't interested in playing a back and forth of gimme goals. I actually enjoy scoring the goals I do because they feel earned. Stripping the puck on the PK and going in alone without the computer catching up and taking it back is glorious. Had their computer D try to walk out of the zone, was actually able to get in behind him, steal the puck and put it home. Last year the CPU was never letting anything like that happen, it was glued to them. The only unrealistic part is that I did it with Jody Shelley. But when it goes in, I'm loving the feeling of accomplishment. Not just pass across ice and slap it home.

This year is actually like playing hockey again, first time in ages. I'm sure at some point they'll find some cheap glitch goal and exploit the living hell out of it.

My only issues this year are technical ones:

1. When I go into HUT and redeem a pack, it opens, I assign the cards and then it just goes into an endless cycle of "Updating Store Catalog..." Have to quit the game and hope I don't have to open the same pack repeatedly/turn the game off over and over.

2. I bought the Championship Edition. My promised Gold Premium pack and Wayne Gretzky are nowhere to be seen. Like I dropped all the extra money for absolutely nothing.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySaviour View Post
you still put players on the block...just go to the right screen
I know you can make a list of attributes and see what players fall into that category. I guess you could list every attribute that only fits one player but Im not seeing where you can actually choose, for instance, Jagr and have him on the trading block. Under "search list" like I said, I see a list but Im not able to choose anyone.

Maybe Im missing it.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Zeroknowledge*

If you buy NHL for a good GM mode, you fail, I doubt they will ever nail it to be qquite honest. I'm fine with the gameplay this year, thanfully I always play locally with a couple friends, can't stand playing the AI. online is horrendous for PS3 so much lag every game, you'd think my 60MB connection would handle this, GM connected seems like a pain from what I noticed, the menus are a disaster, the lag is horrendous and the sim engine is the longest I've ever witnessed.

I'll wait for the OOTP manager sim that's coming out a couple months from now, that will for sure satisfy my GMing needs.

But yea...I've given up on EA to give uas a solid offline GM mode, they won't even give us a 2 player option or even have a 2nd player play as our opponent, then again with how slow the sims are and the menus it might take a week to sim a 2 player season. Complete flop, once again from an interface and management perspective. The single player gamers once again get the middle finger. Since online is broken I've already downloaded the PS3 copy and sold mine to a friend, I refuse to pay for unstable products, sorry EA.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:

The game is outstanding.

End rant.
Amen to that. This game is actually fun unlike NHL 12! Obviously there's some flaws but they're patch-able. I like how every game is different, plays are actually unpredictable, EASHL teams actually play different and people never go for the same shot and actually try different plays to mix it up. EA Sports with this game is going in the right direction.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpabuzz View Post
Got the game and managed to play 2 games last night.

I used a set of All-star sliders from the slider subsection of the operations sports forum (12 mins, game speed 1, max attributes). Overall the game played really well with those settings.

My first game was Chicago (me) vs. Phoenix. Score ended up being 3-0 Chicago but with shots around 40-21 in favor of Phoenix.

First goal was one of my players dumping the puck in, one of the Phoenix dman gets to it first, but Kane (with his amazing speed) manages to tie the dman at the endboards and then passes the puck to an open Bickell who wrists it top left.

Second goal was Mayers carrying the puck in and waiting until the zone got set up. I later pass it to Carcillo who immediately passes it to Keith at the point who then takes a slapshot and gets it pass Smith.

Third goal was an empty-netter from Brunette.

Overall a pretty fun game.

My second game was a Winter Classic OT thriller with the Pens (me) vs. the Caps. Final score was 4-3 in favor of me after being down 3-1 at the end of the second. Total shots were reasonable 33-32, even though Washington had 18 after the first period.

2 of Washington's goals came on the Powerplay, one of them being a "face-off" win shot by Ovechkin (which was executed way to fast IMO). The other two goals were a point shot by Carlson and a semi-wrap around goal by Carlson.

My goals included a SH goal breakway goal by Cooke, a goal similar to the "dump" goal I scored in the Chicago game by Talbot, a point shot by Orpik (lol) and a wrister in the slot by Dupuis after getting on the PP in OT and intercepting a clearing attempt by WSH.

Overall both games were fun with the sliders I was using. I never felt cheated with the exception of the Ovechkin goal. I will say that the CPU likes to shoot a lot more when entering the zone instead of setting up plays.

Penalties were ok for me. I had 3 total in the CHI game and I think 6-7 in the PIT game. I'll try to get in some more games tonight, but overall I'm pretty impressed this year.
Although I agree with a lot of what you say, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the people who play this game play only the Be a GM mode for the most part. There's nothing really upgraded in the mode. I understand they'll tell you hey we have GM Connected, etc, but really most of people's complaints about GM still exist.

As for the play of the game, I actually quite enjoy it better than 12. There are certain things like the enormously large turns the players do but I'll take that instead of every player skating as well as Gaborik or Helm.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

I have to admit, I had a lot of fun in EASHL last night. We went 5-0. The first game was a thriller 1-0 win, where we shut it down after getting a goal in the first period. We had another thriller which ended in a 1-0 double OT win, and a couple of 4-0 and 5-1 blowouts. Teamwork seems to play a huge role in victories, and hopefully that will always be the case as more people get their legend cards.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Heisenberg77

It's funny to see how far games and gamers have come. I guess I'm getting old at 28, I'm just a simple guy.

I buy the NHL games to *gasp*, play games. Doesn't seem like there are many people left like me.

I've read through 30 pages to see comments and questions on the gameplay and all I see are HUT and GM comments and complaints.

I couldn't care less about contracts, XP points, upgrading, playing online with the horribly slow game settings and awful Manual Passing. I simply pop the game in, play a Season or Playoff Mode with friends (OFFLINE, you know, in the same room as a friend? Crazy idea right???!?), and turn it off. It's a shame that I'm part of a dying breed. Makes me feel old, lol.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:08 AM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkfan77 View Post
Why the hell does every ******* player have Zdeno Chara-powered slapshots and Ovy-powered wristers? Even with sliders lowered it's ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkfan77 View Post
It's funny to see how far games and gamers have come. I guess I'm getting old at 28, I'm just a simple guy.

I buy the NHL games to *gasp*, play games. Doesn't seem like there are many people left like me.

I've read through 30 pages to see comments and questions on the gameplay and all I see are HUT and GM comments and complaints.

I couldn't care less about contracts, XP points, upgrading, playing online with the horribly slow game settings and awful Manual Passing. I simply pop the game in, play a Season or Playoff Mode with friends (OFFLINE, you know, in the same room as a friend? Crazy idea right???!?), and turn it off. It's a shame that I'm part of a dying breed. Makes me feel old, lol.
Right

Old
09-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Can someone tell me why in the hell Nail Yakupov, Ryan Murray, Mikhail Grigorenko, etc aren't property of their respective teams, and why they are eligible for the 2013 draft? How is that overlooked? I love everything else about this game but that is a fundamental aspect that goes unexcused. I can live with not having LA's 1st from the JJ-Carter trade, picks are easy enough to come by in this game, but WTF?

Old
09-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Can someone tell me why in the hell Nail Yakupov, Ryan Murray, Mikhail Grigorenko, etc aren't property of their respective teams, and why they are eligible for the 2013 draft? How is that overlooked? I love everything else about this game but that is a fundamental aspect that goes unexcused. I can live with not having LA's 1st from the JJ-Carter trade, picks are easy enough to come by in this game, but WTF?
You have to have current rosters set.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:

The game is outstanding.

End rant.
This. Amen

Old
09-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:

The game is outstanding.

End rant.
Agreed. I like the game a lot, but they really did screw up simulation in GM mode with player stats and everyone is asking for way too much money. Once that gets patched I will be content.. Can't comment on the terrible trades being better on higher difficulty but I hope you're right.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:31 AM
pspot

ever year they've somehow made BEAGM worse

would be great if they took some coding from the Madden series to overhaul it.
The draft, preseason and trading are so much better in Madden.

Stuff as simple as going from roster to roster looking for a specific position or skill set was taken away a long time ago. now you have to look at one team, back out, go to the next repeat. wtf thats like basic ****

maybe the players are asking for so much because there is a new 'lockout' feature which you get to negotiate a player salary roll back every four years.

anyway i also have been suggesting a commisioner option so if enabled you as the user have to approve all ai to ai trades.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
You have to have current rosters set.
I swear I did that when I started my file...

edit: ****in A. I had to download the god damn roster update that apparently came out a week before the release of the game. Why didn't it come with the game?

Last edited by Ludicrous Speed: 09-13-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old
09-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Sorry but I can't help but think that a lot of these bad trades are probably down to people not setting up there trade block correctly. It's going to be something to do with.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Although I agree with a lot of what you say, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the people who play this game play only the Be a GM mode for the most part. There's nothing really upgraded in the mode. I understand they'll tell you hey we have GM Connected, etc, but really most of people's complaints about GM still exist.

As for the play of the game, I actually quite enjoy it better than 12. There are certain things like the enormously large turns the players do but I'll take that instead of every player skating as well as Gaborik or Helm.
I doubt that. Maybe 1/2 of the people that post here. But not 1/2 of everyone who buys the game.

Most people who buy the NHL series are not like the posters on this forum. They play online, and against friends, and do season mode maybe. EA knows this, so they are not going to waste their time revamping Be A GM Mode, which is pretty decent in and of itself.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
If you don't like CPU trade offers turn them off and just do trades manually and at the deadline and draft. If you don't like fleecing the trade AI add value on your end to make it fair. It's simple.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:54 AM
tfong

I haven't had issues trading like people have mentioned. Dan Cleary and thr CPU offered a 1st round and I traded Hudler, Sammy and a 2nd for Iginla lol. What I find is that CPU doesn't want to trade really I less it's for players on their trade block. I threw zetterberg and Kronwall for Erik Karlsson and got rejected lol.

Thu seriously need to streamline ther code though, it feels like its done by an entry level coder, dimming and load times are unbearable almost.

Old
09-13-2012, 11:00 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:

The game is outstanding.

End rant.
What about skating itself? It doesn't take NHL players three quarters of the rink to turn around.

How about the physical aspect? There are more kronwall like hits in a single game then there would be in a week of games...

What about how the AI seems retarded and that skaters are quite often just standing still?

there's more problems then those in your rants and these aren't just in the BeAGM mode...

Closed Thread