HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings offseason thread part #uncertainty #lockout #sorrow #:(

Old
09-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Wings offseason thread part #uncertainty #lockout #sorrow #:(

Carry on.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:34 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Already canceled my cable. Hockey was the only reason I had it. I should probably cancel after the cup every season and take advantage of new customer discounts every october

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:35 AM
InGusWeTrust
hockey.tk

vCash: 542
Anyone know anything about the Plymouth whalers? Worth following them for the remainder of
Lockout?

InGusWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:27 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltatross View Post
Anyone know anything about the Plymouth whalers? Worth following them for the remainder of
Lockout?
I think so yeah. They have some good players.

Noesen, Rakell, Wilson, JT Miller. 2013 draftee Ryan Hartman.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:08 AM
cjm502
#FireHolland

I think we should make a thread with a list of where all the Wings are playing this offseason. I get this idea since I see Datsyuk just signed with Ak Bars Kazan.

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Shoalzie

Today doesn't feel any different than yesterday...the lockout will sink in if this goes into October and there isn't hockey when there should be.

I hate to say it but we've had too much practice with this sort of thing. Baseball is exciting right now and football (and soccer) are in full swing. Hate to break it to you, NHL...but I'll get over it. The AHL should be fun to follow in the mean time and there's always college...it'll be enough to scratch any hockey itch.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Today doesn't feel any different than yesterday...the lockout will sink in if this goes into October and there isn't hockey when there should be.

I hate to say it but we've had too much practice with this sort of thing. Baseball is exciting right now and football (and soccer) are in full swing. Hate to break it to you, NHL...but I'll get over it. The AHL should be fun to follow in the mean time and there's always college...it'll be enough to scratch any hockey itch.
Maybe for casual hockey fans.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
Something that would be extremely cool is if FSD would strike a deal with the Griffins for the meantime and play the Grand Rapids games on FSD+ at the very least, maybe some on FSD. I'd love to be able to watch AHL games, especially considering how strong the talent is currently in Detroit's system...

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:55 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
"Celebrated" the impending lockout by watching the 17 & under USA team play last evening in Orchard Lake, MI. Babcock was there sitting with Red Berenson and Draper I saw walk in. It felt cool to share the game with them in this tiny arena, to just kick back and enjoy some hockey.

It hurts to get so obsessed about the upcoming season only to have it delayed (hopefully not cancelled). Thanks to this forum I am so much more prepared emotionally than several folks I know who haven't been following closely. We'll keep an eye for how our guys are doing on other teams. I think the Griffins opening night is the 6th, would be awesome to get up there for some games!

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post

You definitely can't label me as casual but at the same time, I'm not going to climb the walls waiting for them to reach a new contract. It's almost becoming routine...every half dozen years, we get a labor stoppage. It's sickening to say that this is just par for the course with us and this league. When they reach an agreement, you can pretty much start the countdown clock to the next lockout.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
You definitely can't label me as casual but at the same time, I'm not going to climb the walls waiting for them to reach a new contract. It's almost becoming routine...every half dozen years, we get a labor stoppage. It's sickening to say that this is just par for the course with us and this league. When they reach an agreement, you can pretty much start the countdown clock to the next lockout.
Still, how can you say that AHL and college hockey will be enough for you?

Old
09-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
I grew up on college hockey. It was my first love and I'll have no problem enjoying the game this year.

Is it more fun watching the BEST players in the world? Yeah. But hockey is great no matter what. Sometimes the sloppy nature of college hockey leads to some exciting plays you'll never, or rarely, see in the NHL anyway.

I also find it interesting you call AHL and college hockey fans casual. That's weird. Guys who stick with those sports are actually some of the most dedicated, since they get far less coverage and media exposure, you have to work to keep up with it. AHL season ticket holders, and college, are some of the most rabid hockey fans in the world, I'd wager.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I grew up on college hockey. It was my first love and I'll have no problem enjoying the game this year.

Is it more fun watching the BEST players in the world? Yeah. But hockey is great no matter what. Sometimes the sloppy nature of college hockey leads to some exciting plays you'll never, or rarely, see in the NHL anyway.

I also find it interesting you call AHL and college hockey fans casual. That's weird. Guys who stick with those sports are actually some of the most dedicated, since they get far less coverage and media exposure, you have to work to keep up with it. AHL season ticket holders, and college, are some of the most rabid hockey fans in the world, I'd wager.
I'm not calling the people who watch AHL and college hockey casual. I said that towards people who will be satisfied with just those two. I'm not trying to knock those leagues or the people who follow them at all.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
I'm not calling the people who watch AHL and college hockey casual. I said that towards people who will be satisfied with just those two. I'm not trying to knock those leagues or the people who follow them at all.
What's wrong with being happy with just those that makes you casual? Following 2 leagues would be pretty time consuming after work, family, and life stuff. That seems like a respectable commitment?

Everybody wants NHL hockey. That's why we are here, on an NHL forum. But I still think the most casual hockey fans in the world only follow NHL teams. It takes a real commitment to the game to love the minor leagues as you watch the best players graduate or move on to the next level over and over.

Somebody likes something different than you. Who cares? They aren't casual, they are different.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
What's wrong with being happy with just those that makes you casual? Following 2 leagues would be pretty time consuming after work, family, and life stuff. That seems like a respectable commitment?

Everybody wants NHL hockey. That's why we are here, on an NHL forum. But I still think the most casual hockey fans in the world only follow NHL teams. It takes a real commitment to the game to love the minor leagues as you watch the best players graduate or move on to the next level over and over.

Somebody likes something different than you. Who cares? They aren't casual, they are different.
Again, I'm not insulting people who watch AHL and college hockey (I watch them myself, not as much as I'd like to though). I just don't see how that can completely satisfy you. Wouldn't you take all three if you had the choice instead of just two?

Old
09-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
I just don't see how that can completely satisfy you.
You don't get it, but that doesn't mean they are casual. And you can't say "I don't mean to be insulting" but then call devoted hockey fans casual.

"No disrespect, but you're fat. What? I said no disrespect!"

We're all hockey fans. That's all there is to it.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
You don't get it, but that doesn't mean they are casual. And you can't say "I don't mean to be insulting" but then call devoted hockey fans casual.

"No disrespect, but you're fat. What? I said no disrespect!"

We're all hockey fans. That's all there is to it.
Alright, fair enough. I didn't mean all that but looking back at it I can see why this started. My bad.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:

When you add the other sports...we've (unfortunately) had other winters without the NHL. If they've never had a work stoppage before, I'd be more shocked at not having NHL. As I said, we've dealt with this before. The players and owners have a survival tactic...fans have to figure out how to not lose their mind and not let them win. If you're too reliant on the NHL...you're hopeless because this inevitably going to happen again (and again). You have to figure out how to deal with a work stoppage because we've had practice.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

I'm most likely late to the party, but in case you missed it, here's the article about Datsyuk signing with AK Bars Kazan for the duration of the lockout.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....yuk_signs.html

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:43 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
I think the NHL being gone is worse for the casual fan. I mean to be honest I will sit and watch Jarnkrok's team play online with the audio off to watch him play. I like watching major junior hockey, European hockey, NCAA hockey and AHL hockey. Hockey is hockey, while it hurts that the best version is out die-hard fans that watch the sport because they love the sport on top of just their NHL team will find their hockey during the lockout.

There is an adjustment period, I remember being kind of a snob the first couple AHL games I went to. But pretty soon you adjust expectations and you appreciate what you're watching.

I would also like to point out I think Hockey probably has some of the lowest numbers of casual fans of any sport. People either seem all in or not at all. I know there are the bandwagon and other element, but I think by in large a lot of hockey fans are all the way committed really in a way I don't know is part of every other sport. It is why the NHLPA and NHL all expects us back with no damage.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltatross View Post
Lockout?
Plymouth will have a great team. 2nd in the West last year, should be top 3 if not #1 this year imo.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:05 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Casual hockey fans will likely no longer be hockey fans at all. At least this year.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

/rant on

I canceled Center Ice today and I will not be picking it back up when/if the season resumes. It pains me, as an out-of-towner who relies on CI to watch the Wings, but I will no longer support this league. No more merchandise. No more attending games. I'll watch the Wings when they are on national TV, and I will closely follow them online, but I'm done giving the NHL my money. I forgave them for the first lockout. And the second. But this is strike 3. Screw 'em. Eventually, principles creep into the equation. I don't see it happening, but I hope the league folds. I remain a rabid fan of the sport, but I guess I'm now a casual fan of the NHL

/rant off

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:20 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I canceled Center Ice today and I will not be picking it back up when/if the season resumes. It pains me, as an out-of-towner who relies on CI to watch the Wings, but I will no longer support this league. No more merchandise. No more attending games. I'll watch the Wings when they are on national TV, and I will closely follow them online, but I'm done giving the NHL my money. I forgave them for the first lockout. And the second. But this is strike 3. Screw 'em. I don't see it happening, but I hope the league folds. I remain a rabid fan of the sport, but I guess I'm now a casual fan of the NHL
You do realize that the lockout is a result of the players' refusal to negotiate with Bettman for a full year? That the NHLPA hired a new director who basically specializes in work stoppages?

But screw the NHL.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
/rant on

I canceled Center Ice today and I will not be picking it back up when/if the season resumes. It pains me, as an out-of-towner who relies on CI to watch the Wings, but I will no longer support this league. No more merchandise. No more attending games. I'll watch the Wings when they are on national TV, and I will closely follow them online, but I'm done giving the NHL my money. I forgave them for the first lockout. And the second. But this is strike 3. Screw 'em. Eventually, principles creep into the equation. I don't see it happening, but I hope the league folds. I remain a rabid fan of the sport, but I guess I'm now a casual fan of the NHL

/rant off
I want to do the same thing, but I can't. And you'll be back. Maybe not if the Wings have a crappy season, but if they're good? You'll be ordering it immediately.

Not that you're a fair weather fan by any stretch, but a good season can heal almost all wounds.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote