HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NBA owner Cuban talks about "fixing" NHL CBA

Old
12-13-2012, 11:46 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
NBA owner Cuban talks about "fixing" NHL CBA

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-bost...77&feedID=3944

Quote:
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, ... has gone on record saying he voted against the NBA's current CBA.

For that reason, he doesn't cringe when he sees NHL owners trying to find a CBA that's going to really work this time around.

"No, actually, [I don't cringe]," Cuban said. "I think they're smart. You got to fix the problem. I cringed like with what we did. But if you don't fix the problems, they escalate, so they didn't fix them the last time, and they should have. So you see where they are now.

"When you have all your southern franchises basically sucking wind, there's a message there that you have to fix it. I mean, you have two different worlds; the north and the south. It's kind of like the civil war right now going on, and it's got to be fixed. So, yeah I'd cringe more as a hockey fan. I'd cringe more if they don't fix it. Just like the last one, it's only been like seven years right? But I even wrote a blog back then that they should have fixed it, and they didn't."
"I don't know all the particulars, but whatever it is they gotta fix, they gotta fix it," Cuban said. "And if a market like the [Dallas] Stars can't survive with whatever they do, they should be embarrassed, because this is your chance to fix this."

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:52 AM
TrillMike

I absolutely hate the NBA, but I really like Cuban. I was really excited looking back to last year when all the rumors of Cuban being involved with purchasing the Stars. You can't deny the guy's passion for winning. I'm happy with Gaglardi though.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Crease

Harsh words, but I don't disagree with any of it. The NHL would be better off with owners like Cuban. All sports would be, IMO.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Ishad

It's a nice sentiment, but exactly how would the owner's proposal "fix" the two worlds he talked about?

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Certainly repeats himself a lot. And if he doesn't know "all the particulars", and just says, "but whatever it is they gotta fix, they gotta fix it," then how the hell does he know if what the League is doing is going to "fix it" or not. Of course everyone says that the problem needs to be fixed, but Cuban doesn't appear to have any ideas about how to go about doing that.

The best thing I got out of that is that 'big deal that the NBA resolved its CBA differences and didn't lose much of the Season, if they didn't fix their problems then there's still not much upside.'

Last edited by MoreOrr: 12-13-2012 at 03:29 PM.
MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

My response on this from earlyer:

Quote:
Really, Mark Cuban? Did you really listen to what the other guy had to say while the NBA Players were locked out? You know? That same lockout you wanted to have last season? That same lockout that led to the NBAPA starting to decertify when the owners weren't really willing to listen to what the "other guy"(players) had to say?
Seeing that Mark Cuban could have been an onwer of an NHL team in the past and his role in the last round of CBA talks, I doubt he would do anything differently than what the other NHL owners are doing now.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Certainly repeats himself a lot. And if he doesn't know "all the particulars", and just says, "but whatever it is they gotta fix it, they gotta fix it," then how the hell does he know if what the League is doing is going to "fix it" or not. Of course everyone says that the problem needs to be fixed, but Cuban doesn't appear to have any ideas about how to going about doing that.
His point isn't in the details, it's in the sentiment. He's admitting that the CBA that the NBA signed isnt one he feels will fix the league's problems. From that perspective alone, he's saying that he isn't bothered with the idea of owners holding out to fix the problems they have with their current system. That doesn't mean that he agrees or needs to know how the NHL is fixing their problems with their demands, he's just saying that if the owners feel that their demands are what's necessary for the health of the league, then the owners should hold their ground.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:42 PM
scotchex

Ah, it's the Oscar Rogers solution. Fix it!!!
Step 1. Identify the problem
Step 2. Fix it!!!

Why didn't anybody else think of that? Hey guys, I got an idea, maybe we should Fix It!!

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:51 PM
ScottyBowman

He really added nothing.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Model62

"Something's broken, and where I come from, if something's broken, you fix it. So they better fix this. 'Cause it's broken. Like I blogged about it last time."

Model62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:13 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

He's someone who gets it. There was no excuses since the owners had the players in the fetal position after cancelling the season. It was there chance to fix it, and they didn't get it done.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 07:17 PM
HockeyShack

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He's someone who gets it. There was no excuses since the owners had the players in the fetal position after cancelling the season. It was there chance to fix it, and they didn't get it done.
Why do people keep saying this? People who think like you do seem to think the Owners were able to get whatever they wanted, that they didn't have to negotiate at all. The Owners had a hard enough time just getting a CAP. It cost them a full Season to get that far. It may take a few more tweaks each time until they get it as close to perfect as possible.

HockeyShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyShack View Post
Why do people keep saying this? People who think like you do seem to think the Owners were able to get whatever they wanted, that they didn't have to negotiate at all. The Owners had a hard enough time just getting a CAP. It cost them a full Season to get that far. It may take a few more tweaks each time until they get it as close to perfect as possible.
They not only got a cap, but got it at a number they wanted (less than they were offering when the season was cancelled), and has the union blown up into 1,000 pieces. They wrote the CBA and had the players sign it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:46 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
They not only got a cap, but got it at a number they wanted (less than they were offering when the season was cancelled), and has the union blown up into 1,000 pieces. They wrote the CBA and had the players sign it.
So you're admitting the owners are clueless if they can't get it right.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Cubans remarks are uninformed.
He says the owners are smart.

Yet nothing the owners is doing "fixes" the problem. And everyone who is paying attention knows it.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Ziostilon

Isn't he basically saying, remove the Dallas Stars from my market so I have one less competition

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:41 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Certainly repeats himself a lot. And if he doesn't know "all the particulars", and just says, "but whatever it is they gotta fix, they gotta fix it," then how the hell does he know if what the League is doing is going to "fix it" or not. Of course everyone says that the problem needs to be fixed, but Cuban doesn't appear to have any ideas about how to go about doing that.

The best thing I got out of that is that 'big deal that the NBA resolved its CBA differences and didn't lose much of the Season, if they didn't fix their problems then there's still not much upside.'
What don't you understand. if its gotta be fixed than you gotta fix it because if you don't fix it whatever it is than it won't get fixed.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Noldo

Quote:
One question regarding this viewpoint... If we agree that the League had all power to write the last (now expired) CBA, what should they do if that system (no longer?) works? Live with it? I just can't understand the sentiment that since the League had upper hand last time, they are not allowed to complain. The CBA has a duration for a reason. The history of the deal has no importance here, what matters is (i) whether there are problems with the current economic situation of the League (something that I found highly difficult to contest in the light of available information, despite possible inaccurasies in Forbes numbers) amd (ii) whether the changes the League is trying to pursue would fix the situation (highly debtable, but solutions that could seem better would also be way harder to NHLPA so if they are fighting that much to prevent these proposal, dreaming of a different solution could be completely out of touch with any reality)

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:14 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Cubans remarks are uninformed.
He says the owners are smart.

Yet nothing the owners is doing "fixes" the problem. And everyone who is paying attention knows it.
What's the problem?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:33 AM
irishtemper

I thought he was just saying there is a problem that will compound if it is not fixed now....that problem is "half of the teams, the southern ones, are all sucking wind." So yeah I think Cuban does get it, sometimes you just have to ****ing give up and leave PHX, FLA, and other bad markets....really how does Florida have two hockey teams?

irishtemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
So you're admitting the owners are clueless if they can't get it right.
Or are you saying the owners completely had their way with the players last time and the players were completely incapable of negotiating? How can you slam the players like that?

They had it so good, they wanted to keep playing under the old deal.

Scheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheme View Post
Or are you saying the owners completely had their way with the players last time and the players were completely incapable of negotiating? How can you slam the players like that?

They had it so good, they wanted to keep playing under the old deal.
It was the lesser of two evils. For example you use to work 5 days a week, you now have to work 6. Your employer states the new deal is you not only have to work 6 days a week but they will be 10 hour days. You say screw that we're staying at 6, 8 hour days because you know there is noway in hell you're going back to 5.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 05:56 PM
stingo

Fix it.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Fix it.
Oh really? Is that what we should do?... thank god for Mark Cuban!

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Choralone

What he's really arguing for - without coming out and saying it - is greater revenue sharing. In the NBA, that could put a smaller-market team like his on par with the Lakers. Instead, the new NBA CBA made the soft salary cap a little harder by making the luxury tax more onerous. But the only revenue shared is national and international TV and licensing, whereas teams like the Lakers make money hand-over fist in local broadcasting, ticket sales, and sponsorships, and can still blow past the salary cap and give themselves a huge competitive advantage.

So I think he's basically making the same argument for the NHL - it needs more revenue sharing to put the haves on par with the have-nots - and that's why he highlighted the North vs South split.

Last edited by Choralone: 12-15-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote