HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Edmonton rejects Oiler [Arena] bid for more taxpayer dollars

Old
09-24-2012, 09:32 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
And if Edmonton loses the team they aren't going to get one back as long as there isn't a long term arena solution.
If Edmonton loses the team the NHL just drops another notch this time below the WNBA. The NHL makes money in about 10 cities and Edmonton is one of them the league is becoming a gong show with Bettman playing the part of "Chuck' Barris" better than he could himself!

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Arcadia View Post
i was going to write this news item off as pure posturing by Katz but it got me thinking of when the Jets left Winnipeg and the posturing that occured in the years before they actually did leave. i reckon nothings impossible. or is it anything is possible?

this kind of posturing is always a worry. It's starts out as posturing to pressure an arena deal, then the new location makes a great offer which sows a few seeds, owner goes back and get rebuffed and gets angry and suddenly those seeds start to grow. What starts out as a shakedown ends up more serious.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Is this guy a credible media guy in Philly? Cause to me he sounds like he has no idea what he's actually talking about and is going on a completely unnecesary rant that has nothing to do with anything on the arena.

Maybe an attempt at some attention? lol...
He sounds like a typical ignorant, arrogant SOB. I like what he implied about Saskatoon too. Sad that there are still morons like that in the media.

And what's with Gretzky going? Lost some respect for him.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King of Arcadia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Yeah, but mario was a prospective buyer was he not?
Is gretz buying into oilers then?
i went on a trip with my parents to BC when I was a kid but I sure wasn't looking to buy the Canucks. I think Gretz was just looking for something to do and thought a road trip would be fun.

King of Arcadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...L%7CEDM%7Chome

Oilers issue statement
Quote:
The following statement is attributable to Bob Black, Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena Corporation, Katz Group:

"I can confirm that Daryl Katz, Patrick LaForge, Kevin Lowe and others from the Oilers leadership group are in Seattle for meetings and to attend the Seahawks game.

We remain committed to working with City Administration to achieve a deal commensurate with what Winnipeg and Pittsburgh have done to sustain the NHL in those small markets. If we can achieve such a deal, the Oilers will remain in Edmonton and we can get on with the important work of developing the new arena and investing in the continued revitalization of Edmonton's downtown core.

Nonetheless, and as the City of Edmonton is aware, the Katz Group has been listening to proposals from a number of potential NHL markets for some time. After more than four years of trying to secure an arena deal and with less than 24 months remaining on the Oilers' lease at Rexall Place, this is only prudent and should come as no surprise.

We are extremely grateful to Oilers' fans for their patience and loyalty as we work through this process towards what we sincerely hope will be a long and successful future for the Oilers in Edmonton. We have no further comment on the status of our discussions with other markets at this time."

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:37 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Arcadia View Post
i went on a trip with my parents to BC when I was a kid but I sure wasn't looking to buy the Canucks. I think Gretz was just looking for something to do and thought a road trip would be fun.
Oh god
You missed the point

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
He sounds like a typical ignorant, arrogant SOB. I like what he implied about Saskatoon too. Sad that there are still morons like that in the media.

And what's with Gretzky going? Lost some respect for him.
We've talked about this before.

Frankly the NHLPA silence is deafening.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Kloparren
Hth

I was a kid when Quebec moved but I wonder if the first news about possible relocation was met like this considering the fact that that team was almost as passionate as Edm. I'm guessing the tickets weren't as overpriced but people probably did not believe the team would move when it happened (and from what I know, it wasn't over an arena so different situation but you get the point).

Anyways, greedy people like Katz are the same guys who are part of the owner's group currently taking part in the new CBA....no wonder this **** happens. Either keep playing in your current arena till you have the fund to build a new one or bite down, build the new one, bear the costs for the short-term and then see a bigger profit than now with the revenue from the new arena.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sad Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If the Oilers move before Phoenix I'm done with hockey. A team that actually has a high ticket price and rabid fanbase could be on the verge of relocation, while the NHL does everything they can do to keep another team in a city where fans won't even go to games despite one of the lowest ticket prices in the league is absolutely ridiculous.
I don't follow the game as much as I use to. With all the crap with Phoenix and the slow move to change the game it's just not as appealing to this Canadian fan.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:41 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
They're holding a gun to the fans' and city's head. Total and complete lack of class.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Sad Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
We've talked about this before.

Frankly the NHLPA silence is deafening.
I have lost a lot of respect for the Canadian members of the NHLPA.

Old
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
As much as we can discuss this, there is no doubt in my mind (and probably many others) that the Oilers will not move. The NHL has already learned from this when Winnipeg left for Phoenix, and later came back.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King of Arcadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Oh god
You missed the point
did I? thought I nailed it.

Old
mikelvl

vCash: 487
The fact that Phoenix will have a team while Edmonton doesn't makes me want to puke.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Sad Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
They're holding a gun to the fans' and city's head. Total and complete lack of class.
And with Wayne going, it's more of a slap. I hope his fear of flying on the trip back....nahh I won't say it.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
gstommylee

Edmonton has 2 years to get that arena deal done before the lease expires. There is no guarantees that Sodo arena will be built. Environmental impact review could kill the Sodo proposal. Today's approval by Seattle as well the approval by King county starts the process but until there is shovel to ground there is a chance it might not happen.

gstommylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 09:47 PM
King of Arcadia

has Wayne got any sacks on Rodgers?

Old
09-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Melrose Munch

Listen Up

The NHL does not care about PR or anything like that. If they did, There would be no lockout, and Jim would own a team in Hamilton.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post
I have lost a lot of respect for the Canadian members of the NHLPA.
They don't care at all. How many times was it rumored they were complaning about small canadian markets? At least Lebron was honest.

They love the NY, Boston, Philly, DC, LA, Chicago lights like any or the no pressure of Miami and LA. It's what it is. It because like how Canada can't keep their entertainment talent in the country.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
As much as we can discuss this, there is no doubt in my mind (and probably many others) that the Oilers will not move. The NHL has already learned from this when Winnipeg left for Phoenix, and later came back.
That to vet ownership groups?

Old
09-24-2012, 09:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Why doesn't the NHL help the Oilers build an arena? After all the money they've sunk into Phoenix, what's a few more million?

09-24-2012, 10:01 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
What exactly has the NHL learned from Phoenix, 16 years in the desert and 16 straight years of losses, 3 years without ownership, no ownership possibility without massive subsidization of team losses. If anything the NHL has proven once again to be a real SLOW learner.

Old
09-24-2012, 10:02 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
It'd be interesting to see if Bettman would fight for Edmonton the way's he's fought for Phoenix. I don't know the answer to that, but he's already stated emphatically the Oilers won't stay without a new arena, so looks like he's getting cutthroat, too. He stabbed Winnipeg in the back when they still had a shot at working things out in '95. I don't think he learned much from that if he's now spewing threats at another great hockey market.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Sad Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Why doesn't the NHL help the Oilers build an arena? After all the money they've sunk into Phoenix, what's a few more million?
Other teams can get millions in revenue sharing and their fans pay next to nothing for tickets. Meanwhile Edmonton pays into RS.

Nice little system they have and the ****ing players association wants more ****ing money going to those poor teams. What a ****ing joke!!

Old
09-24-2012, 10:08 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
It'd be interesting to see if Bettman would fight for Edmonton the way's he's fought for Phoenix. I don't know the answer to that, but he's already stated emphatically the Oilers won't stay without a new arena, so looks like he's getting cutthroat, too. He stabbed Winnipeg in the back when they still had a shot at working things out in '95. I don't think he learned much from that if he's now spewing threats at another great hockey market.
Bettman's true colour's (color's) starting to show, 11 teams below Edmonton in attendance last season, probably a handful above that discount tickets yet fights for teams in southern US markets that can't even give tickets away.