HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

NHL Lockout Pool

Old
11-06-2012, 08:51 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
and when did Saugus's word become law? No offense Saugus.
Well the last lockout was had a season cancellation on February 16. Figure that was because it was no longer financially sound to have the season. I don't know if that date will fluctuate to January or further out based on the current revenue stream, although I wouldn't put January out of the picture for a cancellation announcement.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:20 AM
CerebralGenesis

Last time a lockout ended January, it ended up going quite well if I recall correctly.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
None taken. I think you should all be glad my word is not law.

Quote:
Last time a lockout ended January, it ended up going quite well if I recall correctly.
Some of the clowns in that main board thread about shortened season Cups would differ. However, they are, as I said, clowns.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:15 AM
CerebralGenesis

I'll take every shortened season Stanley Cup and they can all debate it after the parade. Considering the frequency of lockouts, those are some superb odds and ratios.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Yeah we won the 95 Cup. What were we supposed to do roll over? Someone had to win it that year! The Rangers backed into the playoffs that year in 8th, upset the top seed Quebec Nordiques in their last season before moving to Colorado, and then got rolled over by the Flyers I think in the second round?

I was thinking about that 95 Cup run the other day. We actually floundered going down the stretch I think. We also started out the season worse than 10/11. By worse I'm just talking the first 5 games worse. I said I thought we could win the Cup that season going into it, and so did many members of the media. As the year went on though I didn't think we were Cup material. I had less faith in that team, than last years team before the playoffs started. What a run it was.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post

Some of the clowns in that main board thread about shortened season Cups would differ. However, they are, as I said, clowns.
Bet the fans of whichever team wins the cup in a shortened season will never have a problem with the amount of games played that year. For now, we're the only group that can say that. But if we have a season this year, I bet any one of the other 29 fan bases would no longer have a problem with it. Although... to make things neater and prevent anyone from being a hypocrite, maybe the Devils should just win the cup this year if its another shortened season

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:43 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Like i said in that main board thread, if you want an * near 1995, then get ready to write a ******** more.

The 1940 Rangers played 12 playoff games and won the Cup. Played.

It was equal footing for all teams that season as it will be this season. No need for *s.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Every cup pre expansion would get an * since a 6 team league is a bit absurd compared to todays standards as well

As far as I am concerned you win the cup by going thru the most brutal playoff in sports you deserve credit no matter how many regular season games there are

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
People will look for any reason to try to mitigate championships.

I've heard, in regards to the NY Giants, that the Super Bowl 46 shouldn't count because a 9-7 team shouldn't be allowed in the playoffs, and that our win over the Falcons was our "First playoff win in 12 years" because he wasn't counting the "fluky luck" 07 championship.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I think the Devils may have won the Cup in 04/05 shortened season or not. Healthy Stevens who was supposed to be back, and not retire. Niedermayer, healthy Rafalski. Elias coming off a big year, guys fresh, but not rusty from not sitting for a year. Parise probably would have started in the NHL that year or at least eventually got there before years end.

The only question mark was coaching. Pat Burns wouldn't have returned as he was fighting cancer which was announced right after the 03/04 season ended. Larry sucked as a coach in 05/06 after the lockout ended, and he would have been the head coach that season. Though we wouldn't have had Malakhov, and Mcgillis getting top minutes. They weren't signed until Summer 05 when it ended. That would have been a big plus to have Stevens/Niedermayer over those two. Even if Big Bird was the coach.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I think the Devils may have won the Cup in 04/05 shortened season or not. Healthy Stevens who was supposed to be back, and not retire. Niedermayer, healthy Rafalski. Elias coming off a big year, guys fresh, but not rusty from not sitting for a year. Parise probably would have started in the NHL that year or at least eventually got there before years end.
The hypothetical 2004-05 season is tough to gauge due to the variables. Unlike this past offseason, most free agents that didn't bother to sign a contract during the summer of 2004. Teams/players/agents knew that there were some major changes forthcoming. Only a few guys like John Madden and Brian Rolston signed multiyear deals that offseason.

Devils had a team option on Jan Hrdina. Wouldn't have been surprised to see Parise make the team, but we all saw how he struggled out of the gate as a center in 2005-06. I'm not sure how big of a difference maker he would have been in 2004-05.

Elias-Gomez-Gionta
Friesen-Hrdina-Langenbrunner
Pandolfo-Madden-Marshall
Brylin-Parise?-Kozlov

Stevens-Rafalski
White-Niedermayer
Hale/Albelin-Martin

Brodeur-Clemmensen?

The other variable if what the cap would have been that year. Vaguely recall that the initial cap offer was something like 45 million. May have still needed to trim somebody like Friesen.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I think we signed Matvichuk that Summer in 04 didn't we? As long as POS Tallackson wasn't on the team. I think trimming Friesen would have been cool. Maybe not as easy with an extra year on the contract.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I think we signed Matvichuk that Summer in 04 didn't we? As long as POS Tallackson wasn't on the team. I think trimming Friesen would have been cool. Maybe not as easy with an extra year on the contract.
Forgot that Matvichuk signed in '04. Memory is failing me and thought he was part of the McGillis/Malakhov wave of free agents.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Forgot that Matvichuk signed in '04. Memory is failing me and thought he was part of the McGillis/Malakhov wave of free agents.
Nah Mogilny was part of that wave!

We did have Alex Brooks, and Sean Brown. One of them was the flavor of the week bottom minute defenseman in 05/06, and the other in 06/07. Think they filled in for injuries. Both looked good for the first week, and then were nightmares!

Old
11-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Brodeur

Just for giggles, I think we could have kept the band together for one more run assuming that the NHLPA had agreed to a 45 million dollar cap to save the 2004-05 season along with a 24% rollback. Then again, they counter-offered with the 24% rollback instead of the cap. In the end, they gave up the rollback and started with a 39 million dollar cap for 2005-06.

Without a rollback, we probably would have had some issues. Without rollback, we were somewhere around 56 million heading into 2004-05.

Rollback (~43 million):
Elias (4.18)-Gomez (2.2)-Gionta (.627)
Friesen (2.28)-Parise(.703)-Langenbrunner (1.65)
Pandolfo (.836)-Madden (3.04)-Marshall (.76)
Brylin (1.52)-Kozlov (1.748)-?

Stevens (~5.32)-Rafalski (2.35)
White (1.71)-Niedermayer (5.32)
Matvichuk (1.37)-Martin (.5)

Brodeur (~5.3)-Clemmensen (.45)

Without rollback (~56 million):

Elias (5.5)-Gomez (2.9)-Gionta (.825)
Friesen (3)-Parise (.925)-Langenbrunner (2.2)
Pandolfo (1.1)-Madden (4)-Marshall (1)
Brylin (2)-Kozlov (2.3)-?

Stevens (~7)-Rafalski (3.1)
White (2.25)-Niedermayer (7)
Matvichuk (1.8)-Martin (.66)

Brodeur (~7)-Clemmensen (.45)

Trimming 11 million off the latter roster might have been a tall order, unless they granted a one year grace period. You could trim the fat with Kozlov/Friesen, but that would have only gotten us halfway there.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:10 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Since he holds close to 100,000 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Agreed. Otherwise, I'd probably not even be allowed to post here anymore.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Scott04

Its obvious whats going on here. The NHL and the PA have been meeting trying to decide what to get me for my birthday (on Nov. 19). That's what they're negotiating. And I think they realized I want hockey back (or with an official return date planned) as my present this year. No worries everyone. Just going according to plan. I'll act surprised, so don't spoil it for them that I know (or else they won't give me my present).

Old
11-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

My B-day is the 17th, Scott. It's a shared present. Maybe.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
My B-day is the 17th, Scott. It's a shared present. Maybe.
Only if settled by the 18th. Any time after that, yours has passed and it is closer to mine, and therefore my present. If its before your birthday, its still shared, as its obvious they were too excited to wait and announce it. What can I say, I'm selfish

Old
11-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Only if settled by the 18th. Any time after that, yours has passed and it is closer to mine, and therefore my present. If its before your birthday, its still shared, as its obvious they were too excited to wait and announce it. What can I say, I'm selfish
No, it's miiiiiine!

Old
11-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Its obvious whats going on here. The NHL and the PA have been meeting trying to decide what to get me for my birthday (on Nov. 19). That's what they're negotiating. And I think they realized I want hockey back (or with an official return date planned) as my present this year. No worries everyone. Just going according to plan. I'll act surprised, so don't spoil it for them that I know (or else they won't give me my present).
Pfft, my birthday is September 16th. I've gotten a lockout twice as a birthday present.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

That's the worst. I'd rather get coal for Christmas

Old
11-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Pfft, my birthday is September 16th. I've gotten a lockout twice as a birthday present.
I have a friend who was born on September 15th. I have told him that I blame him when the NHL locks out. Studies* show its his fault.

*I blamed him.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:36 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post