HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Adrian Aucoin and his weird 1998-1999 Season

Old
09-13-2012, 01:39 PM
blamebettman*

vCash: 500
Adrian Aucoin and his weird 1998-1999 Season

I just don't get this. Height of the dead puck era. Hockey is basically rugby on ice.

Here is Aucoin, relatively uknown defenseman scoring 23 goals in 82 games...with only 11 assists? You almost never see a defenseman put more goals than helpers...unless it's one of those total no offense guys who might luck into 3 goals a year and 2 assists. He basically put up a poor mans Wendel Clark type season

In 1999 40 points from a defenseman was a lot. 23 goals is an 80's total and off the charts.

I see a lot were on the power play. But if this guy is blasting it so much from the point, wouldn't that lead to more deflection goals and assists?

Did he play a chunk of the season at wing?

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Aucoin didn't have to worry much about playing defense back then. The Canucks were one of the worst teams in the league that season, allowing the 3rd most amount of goals. That was the season where Bure held out and demanded a trade (and didn't get it till the later half of the season). Aucoin had free reign and ended up being the 2nd highest goal scorer on the Canucks that year. He was also a -14. I'd consider that season an outlier for Aucoin. He never came close to matching those numbers again.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

23 goals, 3 at ES, 2 SH and 18 with the man advantage.

As I recall the Vancouver PP that year, at least by the end of the season, was basically feeding the puck to Aucoin and letting him blast away. With a 13% scoring percentage, an inordinate number of them got through, which increased his goals and decreased his assists (from deflections and rebounds).

Very much a fluky performance, his career scoring % is 6%, with a lot of PP time for his career, which is much more typical for a defenceman. The next season he had 10G-14A, with an 8% scoring percentage, which makes more sense.

As for playing forward, scoring points on 34% of the goals he was on the ice for, and playing almost 24 minutes per game with only 34 points for the season, both scream defenceman. It's possible he played a bit of forward, but not enough to make a real difference.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
I just don't get this. Height of the dead puck era. Hockey is basically rugby on ice.

Here is Aucoin, relatively uknown defenseman scoring 23 goals in 82 games...with only 11 assists? You almost never see a defenseman put more goals than helpers...unless it's one of those total no offense guys who might luck into 3 goals a year and 2 assists. He basically put up a poor mans Wendel Clark type season

In 1999 40 points from a defenseman was a lot. 23 goals is an 80's total and off the charts.

I see a lot were on the power play. But if this guy is blasting it so much from the point, wouldn't that lead to more deflection goals and assists?

Did he play a chunk of the season at wing?
Aucoin was always known for his heavy shot, in 98-99 he just happened to get lucky and score on 13.2% of his shots. His career average is 5.9% and next best season is 8.3%. Gonchar scored 21 in 53 games that season as well with only 10 assists and an 11.7% shooting percentage. So basically he got lucky and a lot of his shots had eyes for the net, nothing special of new.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 02:52 PM
jkrx

Breakdown of his goals

vs. bottom-10 teams: 11 goals, 8 PP, 2 EV and 1 SH. MTL were the favorite opponent (4 goals)

vs playoff teams: 12 goals, 10 PP, 1 EV, 1 SH, favorite opponent: the AVS (3 goals)

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Johnny Engine

The strangest thing is, if he did nothing at all but shoot from the point, you would think that more tips and rebounds would get past the DPE goalies than his actual shots.

I wonder how many assists he got that season by passing the puck. Any?

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:21 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
The strangest thing is, if he did nothing at all but shoot from the point, you would think that more tips and rebounds would get past the DPE goalies than his actual shots.
I'm looking at the roster for that year and other than 32 games of Bertuzzi, I don't see anyone who makes a living out of standing in front of the net.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 03:22 PM
blamebettman*

It's almost like Rick Nash...I mean how the hell did he score 40+ with like 16 assists?

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 04:53 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

it doesn't answer your question but that was ohlund's offensive peak. he had his eye injury at the beginning of the next season. with bure, who had been the trigger man on the point, out of the lineup, aucoin got that role with ohlund on the other point, and naslund, messier, and muckalt up front. bill muckalt was the front of the net guy, i believe.

i don't remember that year well (no bure, heart of the keensier era-- i paid much less attention to the canucks than usual), but the emergence of naslund as a second shooting option that year seems to have opened up time and space for aucoin to get his shot through.

and people forget now, but ohlund showed a lot of offensive vision before the eye injury in his third season. not saying he would have anywhere near as good as potvin, but that's the type of all round player he would have been. 25 minutes a game from the moment he stepped into the league.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote