HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frolov?

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2005, 11:05 AM
JohnnyRyall

vCash: 500
Frolov?

Just curious ... what do people around here think about the future of Alex Frolov? I'm not really a Kings fan myself, but he strikes me as something special ... Is he going to be an offensive monster, or what? Thanks.

Old
01-11-2005, 11:13 AM
palffytofrovlov

Nobody around here likes Frolov....

Just Kidding I think he has a lot of talent and I believe he will be the monster the Kings need. I think he will score between 30 to 40 goals with about 40 assists a year....

Old
01-11-2005, 12:36 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

wow, if that happens, he'd be the leading scorer of the league. i think he'll more likely settle around the 60-70 point region in his career and will be a good 2 way player. potential to be a solid first liner.

Old
01-11-2005, 01:29 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Frolov is very strong on the puck, has great vision and is a team player. He also always seems to have this huge grin. He really loves to play hockey. Funny thing thou.... he needs to get away from that wrap around....

Old
01-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Frolov is going to rule the world. Goalies won't even try to stop his shots, knowing he is going to score anyway. He will win the Art Ross, Richard and scoring title next year and then he will move on to win the baseball triple crown for the Dodgers.
(I have always wanted to post something crazy like this)

Old
01-11-2005, 04:23 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Frolov is going to rule the world. Goalies won't even try to stop his shots, knowing he is going to score anyway. He will win the Art Ross, Richard and scoring title next year and then he will move on to win the baseball triple crown for the Dodgers.
(I have always wanted to post something crazy like this)
It's only crazy because you forgot to add he would win the Vezina too!

Old
01-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
It's only crazy because you forgot to add he would win the Vezina too!

How could I have forgotten?!

Old
01-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Frolov is God

Old
01-11-2005, 07:50 PM
palffytofrovlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Frolov is God
I agree and I dont think 70 to 80 pts a year is something we should expect from him. He has the talent.

Old
01-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Venom_17

He could get 70-80 easy if he gets someone good to play with. If he had the right center I think he could be a top 10-15 scorer in the league.

Old
01-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
He will be atleast a point per game player...

Old
01-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Yashin-esque in his glory years without the mental problems of course.

Old
01-12-2005, 02:50 AM
willie

I think I have generally been seen as a 'detractor' of Frolov in the past, when I was taking a more cautious outlook towards Frolov's upside. But now I'm sold, he's going to be a star. His play in the RSL (and, to a lesser degree, the World Cup) coupled with his play of last year have me sold that this is the best player the Kings have drafted since Rob Blake. And he might be better.

Frolov is now one of only 3 players averaging a ppg in the RSL averaging a PPG, with Jagr being one of the others. (and he just might win the scoring title) That is a remarkable feat for such a defensive league. Now I'm just basing this on stats and a little word of mouth, but that it impressive any way you slice it. (especially when you realize he is already the best defensive forward on the team) I think you just might be undershooting his point totals by saying he would score 65 points if there was an NHL season and he hasn't even reached his prime. Hell, he could very well average a PPG in the right situation already. (Conroy & Palffy wouldn't be a bad a trio...) Memo to Dave Taylor: Come on, we still want Ziggy. If you're going to sign Conroy, pay up the money and keep a premier winger in Ziggy, particularly since his price will go down when the CBA is resolved.

Now I don't think he is ever going to be right at the top of the scoring races** but I can't see any reason why he wont consistently be in the 10-20 range. (and his ppg average would depend on whether scoring trends in the NHL change) And he is going to be dominant at controlling the puck. I really think Frolov has more talent than Jason Allison at holding on to the puck but Allison just had more strength and the bigger ass. (not that Allison isn't highly skilled, I just think Frolov's puck controlling abilities are that good) I remember in the WJC, when defenseman like Bouwmeester, Hamhuis & Schultz were literally helpless to take him off the puck for seemingly minutes at a time. He just completely dominated against the best 19 year old defenseman in all of Canada. And, in his first year he demonstrated that ability against NHL calibre defenseman and continued to improve in his second. When he is fully bulked up, he is going to be incredibly difficult to handle for any defenseman to handle.

Also, based on the amazing strides he made as a defensive player last year, I really genuinely believe that he should be a Selke candidate in the future. He's got that long reach, is a good a skater, and he has the brains and work ethic to be a top defensive forward. That ability, coupled with his blossoming offensive ability, clearly make him the franchise player in LA. He's quiet (kind of like Bosh, which isn't a bad comparison for those who like basketball) but he's got the talent to be a big time player.

As for actual point figures, I figure he'll clock in at 70-80 a year, depending again on whether scoring goes up or not. (while being an invaluable all around forward)

** - I threw these in because Frolov could possibly be a top-10 scorer if he happened to get paired with an absolute offensive superstar ala Sidney Crosby.

Old
01-12-2005, 03:32 AM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
I think I have generally been seen as a 'detractor' of Frolov in the past, when I was taking a more cautious outlook towards Frolov's upside. But now I'm sold, he's going to be a star. His play in the RSL (and, to a lesser degree, the World Cup) coupled with his play of last year have me sold that this is the best player the Kings have drafted since Rob Blake. And he might be better.

Frolov is now one of only 3 players averaging a ppg in the RSL averaging a PPG, with Jagr being one of the others. (and he just might win the scoring title) That is a remarkable feat for such a defensive league. Now I'm just basing this on stats and a little word of mouth, but that it impressive any way you slice it. (especially when you realize he is already the best defensive forward on the team) I think you just might be undershooting his point totals by saying he would score 65 points if there was an NHL season and he hasn't even reached his prime. Hell, he could very well average a PPG in the right situation already. (Conroy & Palffy wouldn't be a bad a trio...) Memo to Dave Taylor: Come on, we still want Ziggy. If you're going to sign Conroy, pay up the money and keep a premier winger in Ziggy, particularly since his price will go down when the CBA is resolved.

Now I don't think he is ever going to be right at the top of the scoring races** but I can't see any reason why he wont consistently be in the 10-20 range. (and his ppg average would depend on whether scoring trends in the NHL change) And he is going to be dominant at controlling the puck. I really think Frolov has more talent than Jason Allison at holding on to the puck but Allison just had more strength and the bigger ass. (not that Allison isn't highly skilled, I just think Frolov's puck controlling abilities are that good) I remember in the WJC, when defenseman like Bouwmeester, Hamhuis & Schultz were literally helpless to take him off the puck for seemingly minutes at a time. He just completely dominated against the best 19 year old defenseman in all of Canada. And, in his first year he demonstrated that ability against NHL calibre defenseman and continued to improve in his second. When he is fully bulked up, he is going to be incredibly difficult to handle for any defenseman to handle.

Also, based on the amazing strides he made as a defensive player last year, I really genuinely believe that he should be a Selke candidate in the future. He's got that long reach, is a good a skater, and he has the brains and work ethic to be a top defensive forward. That ability, coupled with his blossoming offensive ability, clearly make him the franchise player in LA. He's quiet (kind of like Bosh, which isn't a bad comparison for those who like basketball) but he's got the talent to be a big time player.

As for actual point figures, I figure he'll clock in at 70-80 a year, depending again on whether scoring goes up or not. (while being an invaluable all around forward)

** - I threw these in because Frolov could possibly be a top-10 scorer if he happened to get paired with an absolute offensive superstar ala Sidney Crosby.
I completely agree with you Willie. Just put Alex on a line with a good center, and he'll produce.

When last season I met with him in LA, I was also impressed with his kindness, I talked a bit with him at El Segundo and when I told him I made the trip from Italy just to watch the Kings, he couldn't believe it. A great guy, really...not like soccer players here, who are arrogant ba$t@rds.

Cough cough...Andy Murray, put him on the PP sometimes...maybe it could be a good idea.

Last edited by Albi: 01-13-2005 at 04:50 AM.
Old
01-12-2005, 12:58 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

frolov is good, but lets be cautious before we're calling him a future star. he may be sitting on a mountain full of potential, but he still has a lot of growing to do. out of all our young kids, though, frolov defiantley has the most potential.

Old
01-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Can you explain something to me KPD? How come out of all the Kings players and prospects, Anson Carter is the only one you have had faith in?

Frolov- Not that great
Brown-Probalby a third liner
Tambellini-Why isn't he putting up more points
Boyle-Wasted pick

Anson Carter.....He's going to score 25-30 for us.

Something is wrong here.

01-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Albi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Can you explain something to me KPD? How come out of all the Kings players and prospects, Anson Carter is the only one you have had faith in?

Frolov- Not that great
Boyle-Wasted pick

Something is wrong here.
Yeah...Carter!

Old
01-12-2005, 04:12 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire

Frolov- Not that great
Boyle-Wasted pick

Something is wrong here.
reason being is that unlike most people, i dont think potential translates into "all likelihood". on this board (meaning hfboard members), eveyrone keeps throwing around potential and stardom for prospects like it's guaranteed. for some reason, people expect their players to always reach their max potential, i think that is a ridiculous notion. im more convinced by proven results then that of the hopeful.

frolov has immense potential, he can be a star but has a lot of work to do before he reaches that point. by star, i also mean more then just a 1st liner, im thinking of someone who can actually carry a team.

carter has already proven he can put up numbers on the board, one bad year doesn't mean he's not capable of bouncing back. that's the reason why i think he has it in him still and worthy of being resigned. this matches my feelings with ronning when we let him go.

as for brown, i'v ebeen a huge brown advocate, i don't know where u get anything negative about brown from me. poitns or not, this guy produces in the intangibles and gives the team somethign that every team needs, heart. i don't care if this guy becomes a 2nd liner or reserve forward, i want him on our team. projections though? i think he'll be a very solid second liner and border line first liner, but again, don't matter much to me, i just want players like him on our team.

boyle, i already made my point and don't need to reiterate the millionth time. i think we coulda got mroe value period. if he does well in 6 years time, that's great, but why not get someone who could feed us a bit sooner. i do understand the argument that i think kingspawn (don't remember) gave, so pickin a project might not that be a bad idea after all. but i still hold we coulda traded down for someone like boyle.

tambellini, i dont really recall talking about him much, i think he'll do well for us. in fact, i think the only time i remember asking about him was when i asked how he was doing and someone posted that he was doing well, so i don't really worry much about him. size concerns me a little, but has a strong lineage, so if they can do it, so can he.

so forgive me if i don't overrate our prospects and think we should be a bit more groudned when projecting our prospects. i actually think kingsjohn and dfa do a very good job ranking them and probably give mroe weight to their opinions more then anyone. if im wrong, so be it, but it'll take more then a lot of points in the AHL or NCAA to convince me a prospect is legit.

Old
01-12-2005, 04:26 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
carter has already proven he can put up numbers on the board, one bad year doesn't mean he's not capable of bouncing back. that's the reason why i think he has it in him still and worthy of being resigned. this matches my feelings with ronning when we let him go.
This is the way that I feel about him too. He has proven himself to score. And I've said this in defense to Belanger, and in defense to Anson Carter. ONE BAD YEAR DOES NOT MAKE YOU A BAD PLAYER. But this is beside the point.

I agree with you in some of the prospects talk. Not all of our prospects are going to pan out the way that we want them too. Like Lehoux. I'm still not sold hes gonna be a future regular, but some how one good season in the AHL makes him good. ONE GOOD YEAR DOESN'T MEAN YOU ARE GURANTEED TO BE GOOD THE NEXT.

(Hence why the L.A. Dodgers let Adrian Beltre go.)

Old
01-12-2005, 04:26 PM
KoopsKings

Carter is a clown, I was so pumped when the kings acquired him... but with cammeleri coming around and his amazing chemistry with Aulin(who was traded for carter) im disappointed in that trade. Carter was brought in to get us to the playoffs. I made the trip down to california and was fortunate to stay right near there practice facility. You guys probly know the deal, you get to watch the practices, then meet them and get autographs when they are going the their cars, it was quite an experiance, but anyway, Carter newly acquired did a poor job winning over the fans. Not only did he dog it on the ice, but he didnt sign autographs for fans, he just walked by on his cellphone. At least Andy murray noticed him dogging and he was a healthy scratch for a couple of the games. I dont want any big wheels like that on the kings. He was quite an expensive and disappointing acquisition.

Old
01-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
frolov has immense potential, he can be a star but has a lot of work to do before he reaches that point. by star, i also mean more then just a 1st liner, im thinking of someone who can actually carry a team.
There is not a single player in the NHL who can actually "carry" a team. There will be guys who will win you some games with great performances here and there... but one individual who equates to the entire success of a franchise no longer exists in hockey today. I don't see any single player in the game who can carry the weight of the team's success on his back... carrying a team to the playoffs... winning playoff rounds and carrying a team to a Cup. There are so many factors that play a part in "carrying" a team.
So it appears that you have an unfair expectation that is unreasonable.

Old
01-12-2005, 05:21 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

ur not gettin wat im saying. i am not sayin carry as in win the game for the team but as in being able to pick the team spirits up when their in a slump, be a leader, score when the team is down, be the player that AM absoultey must put out in the last minute of the game, any or all of these qualities are wat stars are made of. please keep in mind that my definition of "carry" doesn't necessarily mean the same as urs when calling my expectations unreasonable.

Old
01-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Venom_17

Carter was EXTREMELY disappointing here, but I hope that he can bounce back. I wouldn't say that he is a clown, or a bad player. If he has a couple more bad seasons, maybe I will re-examine that viewpoint.

Also, I'm not sure Aulin and Cammalleri would have been that successful at the NHL level. Who's to say that it wasn't Boyes that made that line tick? I just think that maybe Cammy and Aulin are too small to play together and be very successful in the league. I can't see them matched up against the Hatchers, Regehrs, Hannans, etc. of the league and thriving. I could be wrong, it's just my opinion.

Old
01-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
ur not gettin wat im saying. i am not sayin carry as in win the game for the team but as in being able to pick the team spirits up when their in a slump, be a leader, score when the team is down, be the player that AM absoultey must put out in the last minute of the game, any or all of these qualities are wat stars are made of. please keep in mind that my definition of "carry" doesn't necessarily mean the same as urs when calling my expectations unreasonable.
Your criteria is asking for a team leader, like a Doug Gilmour or Steve Yzerman. Least that is how I interpret it after reading your list of criteria you attribute to a player who can carry a team.
And by that definition, Frolov will not be that type of player.

Old
01-12-2005, 06:33 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
There is not a single player in the NHL who can actually "carry" a team. There will be guys who will win you some games with great performances here and there... but one individual who equates to the entire success of a franchise no longer exists in hockey today. I don't see any single player in the game who can carry the weight of the team's success on his back... carrying a team to the playoffs... winning playoff rounds and carrying a team to a Cup. There are so many factors that play a part in "carrying" a team.
So it appears that you have an unfair expectation that is unreasonable.
Palffy (IMO) carried the Kings last year until he got hurt. We would have made the playoffs with Palffy last year.
I think Frolov has the ability to be the Kings next Palffy.

Closed Thread