HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The lockout thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Bandit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Uh Bandit what is the deal dude? This is the 2nd time I have seen you say ALL business men are crooked. You realize how convoluted a view like that is right? I think it's hard to properly have a reasonable evaluation or discussion about these issues if you are going into it already saying one side of it are crooked, evil, and cheaters. Can't do it at all.
No, you're right, it's not fair for me to say that they are all crooked, but you can certainly bet that some of them are. Even our own owner had some shady dealings with Qwest and it's bankruptcy. I just don't understand why some of you feel like you have to be able to "sympathize" or "relate" to these guys to understand their position? Just like the kid who did nothing but walk into a McDonalds and fill out an application shouldn't get paid as much as someone with a 4 year degree and 10 years of experience, the "average joe" shouldn't expect to get paid millions the same as someone who is the best in the world at what they do. It doesn't mean the guy with the degree can't understand why the kid at McDonlads doesn't want to be whipped with a stick if he doesn't make fries fast enough, and vice versa. Take the pay scale out of it, it just isn't relevant to the issue at hand.

Put another way: Some of you have nothing but venom and hatred towards millionaire players because you "can't relate" to them but you have no problem with the billionaire owners because you somehow CAN relate tho them? The hell...?

The only thing I can come up with is that the reason it's easy to hate the players is because they're the only ones speaking out in the media. The owners don't (and won't) have anything to say because they don't really give a ****, this is just a drop in the bucket for them, yet somehow it's easier to take their side?

That's the part I just don't get.

Old
10-01-2012, 05:37 AM
damacles1156

delete pls

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-01-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old
10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Put another way: Some of you have nothing but venom and hatred towards millionaire players because you "can't relate" to them but you have no problem with the billionaire owners because you somehow CAN relate tho them? The hell...?
It's not that I can relate to the either side.
To me, it's about what is fair.

The players are guaranteed to make money.
Why should their employers expect to make less, even lose money?

Why should the players get a greater piece of the revenue pie than the owners?

Every other NA professional team-sports league with a cap divides revenue 50-50 or better in favor of the owners.
Why should the NHL/NHLPA agreement be any different?

Old
10-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince2012 View Post

Every other NA professional team-sports league with a cap divides revenue 50-50 or better in favor of the owners.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Good post

Old
10-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:

Right on the nose my friend.

Old
10-01-2012, 10:44 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Bottom line for me: No employees should get anything close to 57% of revenue from the people that own the business. Yes, I'm aware of the argument that it really isn't 57%, and I don't care, because even if it is approaching 50% it would still be out of bounds.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Bandit

Quote:

Fair point, but how many other pro sports have had salary rollbacks two CBA's in a row (honestly asking here, I don't know)? It was my impression that the revenue sharing model was designed to offset the fact that they were getting their salaries cut, and now they're trying to cut them again. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel "sorry" for the players, but certainly don't feel sorry for the owners either.

At the end of the day, we're the ones losing out, and the last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of time arguing with my fellow Kings fans about how rich rich people are going to be.

After all, we're still Stanley Cup champs, I love you all.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Fair point, but how many other pro sports have had salary rollbacks two CBA's in a row (honestly asking here, I don't know)? It was my impression that the revenue sharing model was designed to offset the fact that they were getting their salaries cut, and now they're trying to cut them again. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel "sorry" for the players, but certainly don't feel sorry for the owners either.

At the end of the day, we're the ones losing out, and the last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of time arguing with my fellow Kings fans about how rich rich people are going to be.

bring it in, bring it in... group hug.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Can you feel the love this morning?

Bandit doesn't have a case of the Mondays!

Old
10-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
bring it in, bring it in... group hug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Can you feel the love this morning?

Bandit doesn't have a case of the Mondays!
Quote:

you guys....

Old
10-01-2012, 12:42 PM
SLang

Quote:
Just about the only thing that takes the sting out of the lockout.....for now.

I must say, though, sucks to not be seeing that banner raised in a few days, but I suppose it will happen, someday.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:32 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
"I would say that it's good we're talking," Steve Fehr said, referring to the past three days of meetings. "It is true that we could have done this last week or the week before or the week before that, but it's a lot better than doing it three weeks from now. So, I think it's some progress and hopefully it will continue."
Considering all of the preseason has been canceled and the regular season is scheduled to start in about two weeks it's really not "good we're talking" and that it's jsut starting now, you tool...
So sick and tired of this already. Just get a deal done and get on the ice.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Kings4thecup

[QUOTE=Bandit;54694749]Fair point, but how many other pro sports have had salary rollbacks two CBA's in a row (honestly asking here, I don't know)? It was my impression that the revenue sharing model was designed to offset the fact that they were getting their salaries cut, and now they're trying to cut them again. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel "sorry" for the players, but certainly don't feel sorry for the owners either.

At the end of the day, we're the ones losing out, and the last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of time arguing with my fellow Kings fans about how rich rich people are going to be./QUOTE]

I think that's why most of "favor the owners." It's not that we can relate to them, or want to see them make more money. It's that we know that they will win in the end, and if the players would just try to negotiate on the same page as the owners, the players will still earn a beautiful salary at 50% of league revenue. They were rolled back last time, but their collective salaries still rose to a significantly more valuable situation than they had before the last lockout. Most likely that happens again, if they would just get to the table and hammer out a deal.

If the players countered the owners last offer 3 weeks ago with say a 7 year deal that starts at 53% and goes to 50% over the length of the contract, I think we would be preparing for a Stanley Cup defense right now.

That's just my view on the owners/players situation, though, and I may be wrong.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:23 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
If the players countered the owners last offer 3 weeks ago with say a 7 year deal that starts at 53% and goes to 50% over the length of the contract, I think we would be preparing for a Stanley Cup defense right now.
I don't think you are off-base with this view.

I'm sure the PA would be right in asking for more revenue sharing from the league with such a proposal, and other issues like length of contract, etc. could be hammered out if they were negotiating toward getting it done.

Would you feel like the owners would be sticking it to the players with a deal like that?

Old
10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

I'm sure the PA would be right in asking for more revenue sharing from the league with such a proposal, and other issues like length of contract, etc. could be hammered out if they were negotiating toward getting it done.

Would you feel like the owners would be sticking it to the players with a deal like that?
No, not even a little bit.

Old
10-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:

No, I think the players would still be getting the better of it. Much like last time, the revenue will continue to increase if they don't prolong the delay, and the salary cap would probably be at or above the current salary cap by the end.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
No, I think the players would still be getting the better of it. Much like last time, the revenue will continue to increase if they don't prolong the delay, and the salary cap would probably be at or above the current salary cap by the end.
in agreement here.

yes the owners want to pull money back, but we know and the players SHOULD know this won't last. the last go around with this bs was to promote financial responsibility and look what happened. the owners and their GMs drove up contracts to record levels.

the fact that Bettman publicly announces record profits and growth and then turns around to say they are losing money has to this point been the league's biggest mistake. makes it damn hard for the fans and the PA to believe a word they say.

players salaries will still scale upwards, just not at the level they are today. in the end the PA has to remember they don't own the teams and they are employees. even if the players themselves are what the fans pay to see, not the owners.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

NHLPA continues to anger and baffle me. League pretty much says it's open to movement and that the NHLPA should counter-propose something.

NHLPA says no.

**** these guys.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:04 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
NHLPA continues to anger and baffle me. League pretty much says it's open to movement and that the NHLPA should counter-propose something.

NHLPA says no.

**** these guys.
"This isn't a ping pong match."
- Steve Fehr

Um yeah, go f yourself Steve.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
This is the kind of **** that is pissing me the **** off from the players.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBottaNHL/st...12375552393216

**** you players. Stop being *****es.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
"This isn't a ping pong match."
- Steve Fehr

Um yeah, go f yourself Steve.
Donald Fehr.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

If the lockout ends, any chance we get the Canucks or the Sharks on Banner Night? Those would be my preferred opponents.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Donald Fehr.
There is a Steve Fehr as well.

Old
10-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
If the lockout ends, any chance we get the Canucks or the Sharks on Banner Night? Those would be my preferred opponents.
Good idea, it would be a silver lining to whenever this lockout ends.

I would like to see vanc, since there usually seems to be more vanc fans at Staples than SJ fans.

But either of those teams team would be a better exclamation point to start the season than the NYR.

Phx would also be nice

Old
10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
after the latest cba talk news, I am thinking it could be the Quebec dela Fluers
or the Seatle Oilers.

Old
10-02-2012, 04:51 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

Quote:

NHLPA says no.

**** these guys.
Concur.

Closed Thread