HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The lockout thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Scottkmlps

vCash: 500
Obviously, they'll be some negotiations on other aspects of this proposal like the UFA age/years of service, but if the NHLPA turns down the 50/50 split part of the proposal....whoah boy, will they ever receive fan backlash. It won't be pretty.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:49 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Obviously, they'll be some negotiations on other aspects of this proposal like the UFA age/years of service, but if the NHLPA turns down the 50/50 split part of the proposal....whoah boy, will they ever receive fan backlash. It won't be pretty.
That's exactly why I think this will get done, probably not this deal, but this financial structure.

Things like what you mentioned can and will be negotiated, but I have hard time seeing this not getting done by the 26th or 27th.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:52 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
minnesota and new jersey lol if this happens
You do realize the Kings have a few of these deals as well....

Old
10-17-2012, 12:00 AM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
You do realize the Kings have a few of these deals as well....
not really, i see richards quick with maybe the exeption of carter playing out their contracts.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Quattro

$70.2M to $59.9M is a HUGE drop in one year - can't see the players agreeing to that - Actually there's quite a few OWNERS who might have a problem with that - lol

Old
10-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
$70.2M to $59.9M is a HUGE drop in one year - can't see the players agreeing to that - Actually there's quite a few OWNERS who might have a problem with that - lol
The agreement allows 70 million cap for the first year. If revenues stay flat, the players will lose in escrow. But teams will be able to operate.

I imagine the counter offer from the PA will be something like 55-53x(length of agreement). This will lessen the impact from the first year, but based on this concession I think that no matter what the cap will be 70 million this season.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:11 AM
onlyalad

Quote:
UFAs next year are going to hate it. Also i see a few albatross contracts going to the AHL or being bought out. I dont think "injured" takes them off the books.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:35 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
not really, i see richards quick with maybe the exeption of carter playing out their contracts.
Well according to McKenzie; "Sorry I lied. Important note on back-diving contracts (BDC). If player traded, then later in deal retires, original club on hook for cap hit"

So does that mean technically, Philly is on the hook for their deals since they're the ones who SIGNED them to those deals and not the Kings?

Old
10-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
Well according to McKenzie; "Sorry I lied. Important note on back-diving contracts (BDC). If player traded, then later in deal retires, original club on hook for cap hit"

So does that mean technically, Philly is on the hook for their deals since they're the ones who SIGNED them to those deals and not the Kings?
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Any existing deal in excess of 5 yrs would carry cap hit in every year of contract, even if player were to retire with year(s) left.

In other words, the benefit clubs thought they were getting by reducing AAV with back-diving deals/bogus end yrs would be reduced/negated.

Sorry I lied. Important note on back-diving contracts (BDC). If player traded, then later in deal retires, original club on hook for cap hit

That is how I understood it as well. Not only would they be on the hook for Bryzgalov and Pronger but they would also be on the hook for Richards and Carter if those two retired early. Heck, I am trying to find out if they would also be on the hook for Weber because they created that contract he signed.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post

Any existing deal in excess of 5 yrs would carry cap hit in every year of contract, even if player were to retire with year(s) left.

In other words, the benefit clubs thought they were getting by reducing AAV with back-diving deals/bogus end yrs would be reduced/negated.

Sorry I lied. Important note on back-diving contracts (BDC). If player traded, then later in deal retires, original club on hook for cap hit

That is how I understood it as well. Not only would they be on the hook for Bryzgalov and Pronger but they would also be on the hook for Richards and Carter if those two retired early. Heck, I am trying to find out if they would also be on the hook for Weber because they created that contract he signed.
That would be epically hilarious if that clause is allowed in the new CBA.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
That would be epically hilarious if that clause is allowed in the new CBA.
Why wouldn't it be? It protects the owners from themselves in terms of too lavish of spending and cap circumvention. It would pretty much all but stop those long term deals with incredibly low pro-rated AAVs in the final years.

I think that's really what the players were asking for all along, for the owners to be more responsible with their spending.

In all honesty I think there was some internal dissension among the GM's. There is too big a gap between the haves and the have-nots.

Full proposal got released this morning actually. This is an interesting move.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=643572

Old
10-17-2012, 09:28 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
There is 0% of the players agreeing to that. Fehr hates salary caps in every form, and the league is asking him to have the cap reduced leaving a lot of teams having to cut trade players? Not happening.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Don Fehr's letter to the players, reaction from the offer.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=407542

The fact that the players want to take zero pay-cuts is....frustrating to say the least. I hope they actually negotiate off this and don't just turn it down.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:46 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Don Fehr's letter to the players, reaction from the offer.

The fact that the players want to take zero pay-cuts is....frustrating to say the least. I hope they actually negotiate off this and don't just turn it down.
The NHLPA is going to have to go on the offensive rather than just reject this offer. They will look like fools and the fans will turn on them.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:06 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Owners were smart. They made the 50/50 in bright lights so now the players have no choice but to accept that aspect. Good for them and good for expiditing negotiations.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:09 AM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post

This should not be the case because the trading club knowingly picked up the established contract. They should then assume all responsibility in my mind.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:24 AM
no name

"The Players' Share is reduced to 50 per cent from 57 per cent immediately -- this season. This is a reduction in the share of 12.3 per cent. On last year's revenue numbers, this would mean that players' salaries would be cut by about $231 million."

This is Fehr intentionaly misleading people. He is carefully wording this to his players and media making it look like the Players will actually be walking away from 12% due to the 7% negotiated split loss and stacking the 5% revenue bump last year. The problem is that that 5% has already been dished out with the bump in salary cap. The players will not be asked to give that money back since there are no roll backs.

The NHL owners will not be dropping the salary cap since this will create unthinkable issues on their own teams. No rollbacks, no salary cap drops makes this statement completely false and an attempt to go on an offensive sort of speak. Not a good start.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Kings4thecup

The league's offer seems more than fair, and should be a great basis for a NHLPA counter-offer, but from Fehr's response, I'm not convinced he(the players) feel the same way. We'll see if the players come back with anything promising, but I'm not too convinced of that.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:20 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

THis...

Quote:
"The Players' Share is reduced to 50 per cent from 57 per cent immediately -- this season. This is a reduction in the share of 12.3 per cent. On last year's revenue numbers, this would mean that players' salaries would be cut by about $231 million."
And yet this...

Quote:
Players are willing to take reduced share going forward so that the NHL can grow out of whatever problems some franchises face.
Consider also the quotes about the "Make Whole" section, and Fehr's comments on record revenues and I think it's pretty clear he nitpicking finding the samllest things to complain about.

Seriously screw Fehr. I wouldn't be shocked to see the players sign this and then simply go on strike in the playoffs or some other ridiculousness. Both Bettman and Fehr need to go.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Why wouldn't it be? It protects the owners from themselves in terms of too lavish of spending and cap circumvention. It would pretty much all but stop those long term deals with incredibly low pro-rated AAVs in the final years.

I think that's really what the players were asking for all along, for the owners to be more responsible with their spending.

In all honesty I think there was some internal dissension among the GM's. There is too big a gap between the haves and the have-nots.

Full proposal got released this morning actually. This is an interesting move.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=643572
I 100% I agree. My comment was aimed at the fact that Richards and Carter bring us a Cup, but the flyers will be stuck with their cap hit if they retire early. Not to mention Bryzgalov and potentially Weber depending how they determine the issue of offer sheets in this instance.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

So much for the optimism I felt yesterday.

Pathetic.

10-17-2012, 12:06 PM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Pathetic.

Breathe. We will have hockey by Nov. 2.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Pathetic.

We won't know until the NHLPA gives their counter proposal. Media rhetoric doesn't mean anything at this point, it's just a negotiating tactic. Fehr wants the owners to think they they aren't close so that they can try and get more from the owners before voting.

If most of this proposal from the owners ends up in the "final" offer to save the 82 game season, I expect the NHLPA to hold a league-wide vote.

The NHLPA has to be very careful with their counter offer or they will lose the PR war and the owners will have the backing of the majority of fans to lock them out for another full season.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:34 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

I BELIEVE , OH LORD I BELIEVE ....that we will have hockey nov 2

Old
10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

I don't think so, but you never know.

I rather see a banner raising at night, personally.

Closed Thread