HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The lockout thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2012, 12:48 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
There is NFW the Kings lost money last year. NFW. Perfect example of why the owner's can't be trusted re: accounting.
Maybe they should have had a few more playoff home games instead of the quick work they made of each series.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Maybe they should have had a few more playoff home games instead of the quick work they made of each series.
Nicely played!

Old
09-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
lol - true

think about it, though - 1 finals game alone (there were 3) 18,000 seats at an average price of ~$250 a pop. That's $4.5 million alone for ONE game, not counting parking, concessions and merchandise.

3 Finals games + 6 other home playoff games. Revenue for those has to easily be in the $40M range. That's what, 2/3 of their payroll costs for the entire year right there? This is all above and beyond all of their other revenues for the entire year.

Like I said, NFW they lost money this year.

Old
09-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Master Yoda
Master Deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Oh, so the NHL union members will just take the job of some lower level schmuck player, whether he's union or not... and chances are the minor league player needs the money a lot more than the NHL player.

Nice!
This is what I find most disturbing. How these guys demand "NO SALARY CUTS" yet they go and make a fraction of their NHL salaries and take a job away from someone who probably really needs it and depends on that money.

The only way I find this acceptable is if they take a portion of their pay and give it to the player who they took the jobs from. That would be the honorable thing to do... but then again, seeing how this lockout is going, I would be surprised if they did.

Old
09-20-2012, 07:36 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
lol - true

think about it, though - 1 finals game alone (there were 3) 18,000 seats at an average price of ~$250 a pop. That's $4.5 million alone for ONE game, not counting parking, concessions and merchandise.

3 Finals games + 6 other home playoff games. Revenue for those has to easily be in the $40M range. That's what, 2/3 of their payroll costs for the entire year right there? This is all above and beyond all of their other revenues for the entire year.

Not really, players like Mike Richards make more than their cap hit per year.

I believe Mike made close to seven million this season(and will make 8.4m next). Cap hit does not = real pay grade.

so the Kings entire payroll (just players) is closer to 80 million. That does not include, All the expenses of running the Franchise.

I bet it's closer to 125 million(all expenses) to run the Kings every year, total(NOW, not the suck years). Taxes are in excess of 10 million easy (Thank you California). A large portion of that cost, is player salary. Hence the Lockout.

NHL owners have to spend a good portion of cash to compete for a CUP. The NHL does not have a monster TV deal, to help offset that cost.

Last edited by damacles1156: 09-20-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old
09-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
lol - true

I think you're really overestimating how much the Kings made off of playoff tickets. Brokers jacked up the price incredibly high, but with the 10-game plan we paid $95 for our Final tickets.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I think you're really overestimating how much the Kings made off of playoff tickets. Brokers jacked up the price incredibly high, but with the 10-game plan we paid $95 for our Final tickets.
Yeah, and I saw a lot of regulars there too, in my section and the section next to me. Cost of Final ticket per game? $50.

First round was $23, second was $28, and third was $35. Kings screwed themselves. I would have gladly paid more. I was astonished at how cheap they were.

09-20-2012, 09:01 PM
KingLB

Quote:
lol - true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I'd like to add on to this.

A. What Chazz said.
B. The Kings do not own all the parking lots.
C. Kings do not get all the revenue from playoff games, infact I think playoff revenues are what fund revenue sharing.
D. Players get a playoffs share on top of regular salary.
E. You still have expenses during playoffs its not all straight revenues.
F. Merch not bought at team LA is shared throughout the league.
G. Parades cost money

Old
09-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post

A. What Chazz said.
C. Kings do not get all the revenue from playoff games, infact I think playoff revenues are what fund revenue sharing.
G. Parades cost money
I'm not so sure about that one. I thought I heard over the last few years that the NHL playoffs are not "extra" salary for the players. I don't think there is a "winners and losers share," like there is in baseball & football.

Geez, now I feel somewhat guilty at the Staples Rally that the Kings concessions stands sold all their food that day for half price.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I believe the players get bonuses that are negotiated in their contracts, which is usually a small percentage of what they earn during the regular season, and also they get money to share amongst the team from the NHL and not the owners, which are small, set amounts:

All teams losing in the first round receive $50,000 to be split among the players

All teams losing in the 2nd round receive $100,000 to be split among the players

Both teams losing in the 3rd round receive $200,000 to be split among the players

The loser of the Stanley Cup Final receives $500,000 to be split among the players

The winner of the Stanley Cup receives $1,000,000 to be split among the players.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
09-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:

A. What Chazz said.
G. Parades cost money
Players do not earn any salary during the playoffs. Players are paid from the beginning of training camp to the end of the regular season, but yes they do get a playoff share.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Have to admire the sense of urgency from both sides. Tomorrow will be a week where no formal negotiations have taken place. This is what happens when you pit two stubborn bullheaded lawyers against one another. They engage in the world's longest staring contest until one of them blinks. Don't expect to hear a peep from either of them until October.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:53 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:

A. What Chazz said.
G. Parades cost money
This had to kill them this year... When I flew out for the Finals my intention was to bring my Simmonds jersey to wear to a game and then pick up a white jersey for the second game. I get there and there is no Kopitar, no Brown, no Quick, no Richards, no Doughty, no Carter... The only jerseys they had were Williams and Gagne and I wasn't buying either of those. I was shocked at how terrible the selection was and how they could not have any of the other players. I know at Excel here in town you can walk in and they have about 30 jerseys for ever player on the team in any style and discouted older player jerseys. I understand there are 3 teams they have to cater to at Staples but man they had to be losing big time money not having anything in stock.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:27 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

What happens with Bob Miller if this thing goes all season?

Old
09-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
What happens with Bob Miller if this thing goes all season?
What do you mean?

Old
09-21-2012, 06:04 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Listening to some stuff and it sounds like the players are willing to go as low as 52%.

Old
09-21-2012, 06:21 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
What do you mean?
Isn't he looking to retire soon?

Old
09-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Listening to some stuff and it sounds like the players are willing to go as low as 52%.
Where'd you hear that?

Old
09-21-2012, 08:02 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Where'd you hear that?
In the MOD only CBA news thread on the podcast with the Mathieu Schneider interview.

But i'm sure that 52% is with caveats of unrealistic financial growth.

Old
09-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Jim Fox seems confident that things will be worked out relatively soon:

Old
09-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

The NHLPA twitter feed is a ****ing joke.

All they constantly do is post awful conjecture and quotes from players twitter feeds and insult the league and its owners.

They piss me the **** off. Just handle this **** like adults you whiney babies. God it wouldn't be half is bad if the NHLPA wasn't playing victim all the ****ing time and acting as if the Managers are on a level with Stalin.

Old
09-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Old
09-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

lolChelsea

does anyone have a list of where all Kings guys are playing?

Old
09-23-2012, 08:06 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
lolChelsea

does anyone have a list of where all Kings guys are playing?
I think the only ones known are:

Kopitar: Mora (2nd tier Swedish league)
Voynov: Manchester
Loki: Severstal Cherepovets (KHL)
Nolan: Manchester

Old
09-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

I had to UrbanD NFW.

Yes, sw1tch, the reighning FA Cup and CL champions and currently on top of the PL. LOL

Closed Thread