HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 01:15 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
I live in NS and watch him alot. Never seen him play like Phil Kessel, how many games have you watched? I do agree that if Drouin is around than we should pick him I was just saying I would have no concerns with drafting him.
Between 10-13 times not including WJCs.

I absolutely have NO concerns on drafting MacKinnon, considering we already have playmakers and 2-way players so he can focus strictly on the offensive side of the game, but he will definitely struggle on a team like Columbus, Buffalo (lack playmakers), Calgary, or Nashville who do not have a strong offensive cores.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:46 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Since you all convinced me on drafting over trading (mostly convinced anyway, still would not mind 3 very good players over 1 great one) here's my new hope.

Jones, Druin, or MacKinnon would be fine.
If those 3 are gone, definitely look to move down a few spots and acquire more assets (2nds, prospects, etc) or trade completely for a LHD to pair w/ EJ

Outside of Jones, I'd rather see them use the 1st on a FW

Old
03-21-2013, 02:01 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
it wasn't just the Avs. ROR was expected to be a first rounder in his draft year but most. much like with Stastny they were some folks who were stunned he fell to the 2nd.

and we Avs fans were thrilled about him falling and considered him to be a 2nd first rounder. though i doubt any of us thought he'd break camp with the big club as a rookie.
I don't think most expected ROR to be a first rounder. He fell to about where I thought he would go (the 25-35 range is where I had him pegged), but he was in the upper 30s low 40s for most scouting services (hell ROR was 39th in central scoutings final north american rankings). It was far more surprising that Elliott fell to where he did. He was really expected to be in the early to mid 20s.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:11 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I don't think most expected ROR to be a first rounder. He fell to about where I thought he would go (the 25-35 range is where I had him pegged), but he was in the upper 30s low 40s for most scouting services (hell ROR was 39th in central scoutings final north american rankings). It was far more surprising that Elliott fell to where he did. He was really expected to be in the early to mid 20s.
ROR was 27th in McKenzie's final ranking. Elliott wasn't in the top 30.

Pierre had Elliott at 22. No ROR in top 30. Button had neither in top 30.

Button did re-draft in 2011.. Neither of them was there (Duchene was 1st though).

Old
03-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
But some guy on twitter said that Jones is the next Lidstrom.
That doesn't make sense, Jones is merican. He should be compared to pronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't think that's the right comparable. He's closer to a mix between EJ and Doughty in my opinion rather than a guy like Lidstrom.
es.
The legend continues. ... I hear he's a mix of Bourque and Stevens with Nediermayer's skating ability.

The best part of this thread is someone sayibg Jones floor is EJ.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Since you all convinced me on drafting over trading (mostly convinced anyway, still would not mind 3 very good players over 1 great one) here's my new hope.

Jones, Druin, or MacKinnon would be fine.
If those 3 are gone, definitely look to move down a few spots and acquire more assets (2nds, prospects, etc) or trade completely for a LHD to pair w/ EJ

Outside of Jones, I'd rather see them use the 1st on a FW
I can agree to that. If Our 1st isn't Top 3 I'd be ok with moving it.

For example our pick is 5th overall, CBJ's own pick is 11th overall.

5th overall + 65th overall for 11th Overall + Moore/Erixon/Savard.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I can agree to that. If Our 1st isn't Top 3 I'd be ok with moving it.

For example our pick is 5th overall, CBJ's own pick is 11th overall.

5th overall + 65th overall for 11th Overall + Moore/Erixon/Savard.
Yeah, no. 5th overall is going to be Lindholm, Swedes have been saying he's playing better as a junior than Backstrom was. 5th for 11th, 15th and 41st perhaps.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:45 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

1-6/7 (depending on Nichuskin) is very good in this draft then it starts falling off. If we have #8-14, I'm okay with trading down or using it to get a good young player. Kulikov + 2nd sort of trade (just throwing it out there without thinking much of value). If we pick 1-7 I want to keep the pick and grab one of those players.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:51 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
1-6/7 (depending on Nichuskin) is very good in this draft then it starts falling off. If we have #8-14, I'm okay with trading down or using it to get a good young player. Kulikov + 2nd sort of trade (just throwing it out there without thinking much of value). If we pick 1-7 I want to keep the pick and grab one of those players.
Jones
Drouin
Mac
Barkov
Lindholm
Monahan
Nichuskin

Assuming it's those seven? I'd personally add Shinkaruk there. He could be really dynamic on Duchene's wing.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:04 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Jones
Drouin
Mac
Barkov
Lindholm
Monahan
Nichuskin

Assuming it's those seven? I'd personally add Shinkaruk there. He could be really dynamic on Duchene's wing.
Yep those are the 7. IMO any one of those 7 could step in with in 2 seasons and make a very significant impact on the team. They could either make Stastny fully expendable, give us an elite wing to pair with our centers, or give us another future top pairing defensemen.

I don't mind Shinkaruk at all as a prospect, I just think he is a step behind those 7. Same with Nurse, Pulock, Erne, etc. I just don't see really high potential in him. Fringe 1st wing, that is probably better on the 2nd is where I see him in the future. There are a number of those sorts of players behind him and they could be picked up with a 15 or so. All but one of the top 7 have legitimate top line/pairing potential. Monahan is the only question, but he should become an elite 2 way #2C.

Still, if we end up using our pick in the 8-14 range, we will be very happy with the prospect we pick up.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Jones
Drouin
Mac
Barkov
Lindholm
Monahan
Nichuskin

Yeah if Shinkaruk is there around 9th to 12th that would be a sick pick up besides Erne.

IDK Henchman I would LOVE to draft Nurse, Morrissey, or Erne as well.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Yeah if Shinkaruk is there around 9th to 12th that would be a sick pick up besides Erne.

I ageee... All I am saying is that if we are in the 8-14 range I wouldn't be opposed to looking at a trade. I'd probably still pick because getting something like a Kulikov + would be a pipedream. But a pick in the 1-7 range should not be traded.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:23 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Yep those are the 7. IMO any one of those 7 could step in with in 2 seasons and make a very significant impact on the team. They could either make Stastny fully expendable, give us an elite wing to pair with our centers, or give us another future top pairing defensemen.

I don't mind Shinkaruk at all as a prospect, I just think he is a step behind those 7. Same with Nurse, Pulock, Erne, etc. I just don't see really high potential in him. Fringe 1st wing, that is probably better on the 2nd is where I see him in the future. There are a number of those sorts of players behind him and they could be picked up with a 15 or so. All but one of the top 7 have legitimate top line/pairing potential. Monahan is the only question, but he should become an elite 2 way #2C.

Still, if we end up using our pick in the 8-14 range, we will be very happy with the prospect we pick up.
I agree. Though Nichushkin has contract with Traktor until 2015 offseason, his play in KHL has convinced me that he's very close to ready. It might be good for him to stay there, though.

Lindholm should probably stay in SEL for one more year. He played wing this past year. Next year at C, then bring the kid over. The same as Bäcks did.

Barkov is ready imo for NHL next year, Mac is too. Haven't seen Monahan and Jones enough.

I do think Barkov has to do some adjusting next year, though. It's different game in FEL. He is good enough for roster spot but I don't see 60+ point season or something like that. I think Mac (and possibly Drouin) will have better rookie season. Or potential to have better rookie season, you never know how coach uses these kids, injuries etc.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Tralfamadore
Back down to earth

Is there any particular reason for Shinkaruk's decrease in point production and +/- this year with Medicine Hat?

Old
03-21-2013, 09:31 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Buffalo, Washington and Florida wins tonight are great. Those bottom teams in the East must start picking up some point. Otherwise we won't get a top 3 pick regardless if we finish 15th in the west.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BON IVER View Post
Is there any particular reason for Shinkaruk's decrease in point production and +/- this year with Medicine Hat?
His goal scoring has gone down but his assists are up. He has absolutely no support this year and has made undrafted/overagers look really good and bigger scorers than normal. He had a lot of goals off of Etem and his shots/passes. Despite losing a few big names, he has still produced outstanding numbers as a one man offense. That's why numbers are hard to go off of as he's done great things and has seen himself slide in the draft rankings anyways.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:52 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
His goal scoring has gone down but his assists are up. He has absolutely no support this year and has made undrafted/overagers look really good and bigger scorers than normal. He had a lot of goals off of Etem and his shots/passes. Despite losing a few big names, he has still produced outstanding numbers as a one man offense. That's why numbers are hard to go off of as he's done great things and has seen himself slide in the draft rankings anyways.
Mistake.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:50 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Buffalo, Washington and Florida wins tonight are great. Those bottom teams in the East must start picking up some point. Otherwise we won't get a top 3 pick regardless if we finish 15th in the west.
And back down to 2nd overall we go. Go Tank Go!

Old
03-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

As someone not too familiar with Nurse's game, why all the love I've seen him get on on this board? He seems like at best he'll be in Siemens' mold. Why does this team need another one of those in the 8-15 range? I'd rather take a shot at a talented forward.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:59 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BON IVER View Post
Team wasn't as good. Didn't have Emerson Etem on his line.

Watched Shinkaruk live tonight in game one of the WHL playoffs. Scored a sick backhand goal on a breakaway. Goal comes at about :37 seconds of this video

http://saskatoonblades.com/video/ind...d35307d9291660

He'll make a nice top 12 pick. And yes, that's my voice in part of the highlight pack.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:20 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Team wasn't as good. Didn't have Emerson Etem on his line.

Watched Shinkaruk live tonight in game one of the WHL playoffs. Scored a sick backhand goal on a breakaway. Goal comes at about :37 seconds of this video

http://saskatoonblades.com/video/ind...d35307d9291660

He'll make a nice top 12 pick. And yes, that's my voice in part of the highlight pack.
Just wondering, what's your personal top 15 draft order?

Old
03-22-2013, 02:58 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
And back down to 2nd overall we go. Go Tank Go!
when we win we don't get anywhere, when we lose, we still don't get anywhere

Old
03-22-2013, 03:13 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
I don't expect Florida to pass anyone in the standings, but as an Avalanche fan I only hope that somehow - someway - Colorado is able to draft Seth Jones and he clicks around the same time as Duncan Siemens.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:27 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I don't expect Florida to pass anyone in the standings, but as an Avalanche fan I only hope that somehow - someway - Colorado is able to draft Seth Jones and he clicks around the same time as Duncan Siemens.
next year

Old
03-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
As someone not too familiar with Nurse's game, why all the love I've seen him get on on this board? He seems like at best he'll be in Siemens' mold. Why does this team need another one of those in the 8-15 range? I'd rather take a shot at a talented forward.
Well with very few Ds in the top 10, he is going to stand out...especially to a team who drafts based on need. Nurse has the ability to play a much more offensive game than you are expecting. He has the flare, size and overall package of a star D. At worst he gets to the NHL and follows the way Foote did things and move towards mostly being a shutdown D but he has the tools to make an impact at both ends.

Closed Thread