HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
The only defensemen drafted 1st overall in the past 30 drafts were Roman Hamrlik, Ed Jovanovski, Bryan Berard, Chris Phillips, and Erik Johnson.

Hamrlik, Jovanovski, and Phillips have all played 1,000+ games in their NHL careers (and counting). Berard's career was marred by a major eye injury. The jury is still out on Johnson.

Of course, none of this has any impact on the upcoming draft. A team is just as likely to draft the next Denis Potvin as they are the next Bryan Berard.
Bouwmeester would have gone 1st overall as well if not for Florida and Columbus deciding to do some dealing. He was the concensus #1 before the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
Heard is the type of player that will be a heart-and-soul guy for a deep playoff push. He'll do all the little things right in a bottom-6 role. He's got the work ethic and drive to improve as a player and will be effective in almost any situation his future NHL coaches will put him in.

Frk is an offensive support player, that doesn't really bring much above average things to the table besides a wicked shot. He either plays top-6 offense role or he's ineffective. Work ethic is a question mark and he's incredibly streaky, as pure goalscorers tend to be.

We've been burned by guys with a ton of talent but limited drive/work ethic before (Wolski, Stewart, Hensick, Arnason, Quincey) so I see why management puts a lot more stock into character, determination and work ethic rather than just pure skill and talent. And I'm 100% okay with that.
I agree with you on the type of player that Heard is and that's all fine and good and you do need those players. However, generally speaking, those kinds of guys (bottom 6) are available on July 1st every single year.

Secondly, I don't agree with you on the fact that Frk 'only' has a wicked shot and not much else. I think he has really good upside and yes, obviously that's as a top 6 forward. He wouldn't be the kind of guy you'd draft to play on your third line. My take on it is that when you can acquire a guy with that kind of upside with a 41st overall pick, you do it even if it's a risk. I've seen Frk play several times and I haven't seen any concerns about his work ethic. I guess, it's possible that I caught him having a 'good' game each time he was out there.

Heard has been able to produce at a PPG+ clip for basically 2 seasons now but had trouble in the AHL as a 20 year old. While that may not be unusual, it's not 'awesome' for a high 2nd rounder by any means, especially for a guy his age. Frk is 2 years younger and could have been the kind of scorer to replace Hejduk, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Damn, I hate the Avs doing so bad, but hopefully this is the last young piece needed before the rebuild is done.

I doubt the Avs will get the choice, but its fun thinking of the strength any of the top three could provide to the Avs.

Landeskog-Drouin-McGinn as the left wingers.

or

Duchene-O'Reilly-Stastny-Mackinnon as the centers.

or

EJ-Jones-Barrie down the right side.
I have a feeling that just like Phil Kessel before him, while MacKinnon will be drafted as a center but he'll eventually find his way as a right winger.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:59 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Over Malkin? Jordan & Eric Staal? Bobby Ryan?

Jones is also being touted by all scouting services and everyone with an opinion as the #1 prospect in this years draft. If Florida does not take him @ #1 then they are doing it based off of needs. Not the scouting reports...

When you compare D taken #1 over all to forwards taken #1 over all it's heavily weighted in the forwards favor.

I'd be really curious as to what Seph's opinion on this is...
that's like comparing apples to oranges.
the job of a defenseman and of a forward are different.
you can be a high scoring forward and play poor D but still live up to expectations.
the job of the D man is realistically to be a lock down defender and score some to not be a liability of the PP.
if they fail at either end and players taken below them score well they will be seen as failing.
it's like taking a OL 1st overall who is a multi time all pro and HOF player, he doesn't put up sexy stats so he will always been seen as inferior to the all pro QB, even though the OL is more important as a foundation due to the protect he provides.

my expectations of a top 10 pick on D is for them to be a elite defender who can shut down the other team's star and give you 20-30 pts on offense. if he gives more than that on offense then great but he's a defenseman for a reason and not a forward. their roles are different.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Oan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
there are 3 players who have separated from the rest Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon.
It really is 4 players, Barkov belongs to that group too, has belonged whole season, but people just seem to forget about him now that Drouin is the newcomer to this "big 4", and because Barkov plays far away in Europe.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Emppu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
It really is 4 players, Barkov belongs to that group too, has belonged whole season, but people just seem to forget about him now that Drouin is the newcomer to this "big 4", and because Barkov plays far away in Europe.
THIS, 100% Agreed

Old
03-24-2013, 03:43 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
that's like comparing apples to oranges.
the job of a defenseman and of a forward are different.
you can be a high scoring forward and play poor D but still live up to expectations.
the job of the D man is realistically to be a lock down defender and score some to not be a liability of the PP.
if they fail at either end and players taken below them score well they will be seen as failing.
it's like taking a OL 1st overall who is a multi time all pro and HOF player, he doesn't put up sexy stats so he will always been seen as inferior to the all pro QB, even though the OL is more important as a foundation due to the protect he provides.

my expectations of a top 10 pick on D is for them to be a elite defender who can shut down the other team's star and give you 20-30 pts on offense. if he gives more than that on offense then great but he's a defenseman for a reason and not a forward. their roles are different.
I agree with this in the end, it's just that all the defenders taken first overall don't seem to have the star power that guys like Stamkos or even Weber/Chara/Karlsson do. However I do think that scouting has gotten a lot better over the years and the class of defense drafted top 5 in the last couple of drafts looks solid. However the only one who's turned into somewhat of a star as of yet is Doughty, but the others are young.

Based off of this I think EJ is very very close to being what you described at the end of your post. EJ isn't Karlsson but EJ will be trusted to be out there in situations Karlsson wouldn't be.

I'm fine with accepting EJ as a two-way defender with great defense and solid offensive (20-30 points not 40-50). Which is why I think we should get him a more offensively minded partner that can play solid defense, but great offense.

I still think Yandle would be perfect, because no he isn't amazing defensively but hes physical and fairly responsible for a defender with his offensive ability. Anyone who has payed attention to Yandle in the playoffs can see that there is another level to his offensive game as well. He has solid offensive numbers in his playoff games. (19P 27GP).

If Stastny is moved at the draft or before, I'd love it to be for Yandle.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:58 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:

I still think Yandle would be perfect, because no he isn't amazing defensively but hes physical and fairly responsible for a defender with his offensive ability. Anyone who has payed attention to Yandle in the playoffs can see that there is another level to his offensive game as well. He has solid offensive numbers in his playoff games. (19P 27GP).

He had 5 points in 7 games against DET in 9-10 and 5 in 4gp in 10-11. While being possibly the worst player on ice. Datsyuk embarrassed himself on almost every shift, he was liability there.

I think he could make nice pairing with EJ but I don't think they'll do it for just Stastny.. Sherman needs to add there, fair amount.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:00 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Not sure how you could have been a fan in 95 without knowing who Berard is. I admittedly was not a fan being too young and living in Florida of all places, but I know who he is. He was on the fast track to becoming an amazing defender before his eye injury.

We should not use past precedent as an excuse for avoiding Jones if scouts do indeed feel he is the BPA. You forget that most of us are not just wanting Jones because of his Avs history or our particular need, but the fact he very well is possibly the BPA in this draft in terms of overall potential.

My list goes sort of like this so far.

Jones
Drouin
MacK
Barkov
Lindholm
Monahan
Erne
Shinkaruk
Nichuskin
Ristolainen
I was learning the game in 95-96 when we won the Cup and living in Washington State, so on top of being new to the game. My favorite team was in another state. I'm 29 now, so I was fairly young as well.

I agree with your list in general, I'd just personally take the best forward in the draft over the best defender. It's just a safer pick... With the fact that we need both it's a tossup as to who the Avs would actually pick.

Drouin is coming into this draft with superstar potential numbers. We lack that offensive superstar winger that we need for our top 6, guys like P. Kane & E. Kane, specifically P. Kane... (Not saying attitude wise but talent wise.) goal scoring wingers.

I think we could fill the #2 spot adequately through free-agency or trade TBH. I don't think we can get that winger through trade or free-agency as easily.

Quote:
Ideally the Avs want to be picking 3rd. Reason being is because there are 3 players who have separated from the rest Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon. By picking 3rd the decision gets made for you, because the other 2 teams pick the other 2 and you're still left with a top end player. Much like the Matt Duchene draft. There is no scrutiny like we should have picked Jones over Mackinnon or Drouin over Jones because you got what was left of the big 3.

There is a lot of pressure if you have the #1 pick, often time unless there is a Sidney Crosby type player the #1 pick isn't the best player in the draft.

My top 10 right now in terms of who I'd like the Avs to take:

1. Drouin
2. MacKinnon
3. Jones
4. Barkov
5. Nichushkin
6. Monahan
7. Lindholm
8. Nurse
9. Shinkaruk
10. Pulock

As you can see I much prefer us to go offense over defense, history shows that offense seems to be a much safer pick early in drafts.
I agree with this, but I'd like to see us draft #2 so that we get to pick between the two that is left over, considering how strong our scouting staff is. However I think I would take Jones over Mackinnon TBH, but Drouin over both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
He had 5 points in 7 games against DET in 9-10 and 5 in 4gp in 10-11. While being possibly the worst player on ice. Datsyuk embarrassed himself on almost every shift, he was liability there.

I think he could make nice pairing with EJ but I don't think they'll do it for just Stastny.. Sherman needs to add there, fair amount.
Stastny + Sgarbossa is what I'd offer if we drafted a forward, as I don't really think Sgarbossa is the best option for a third line center moving forward. And they won't be that interested in Elliott, because they need offense up front. Two offensive pieces would fit their needs perfectly.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 03-24-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old
03-24-2013, 04:15 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
I agree with this in the end, it's just that all the defenders taken first overall don't seem to have the star power that guys like Stamkos or even Weber/Chara/Karlsson do. However I do think that scouting has gotten a lot better over the years and the class of defense drafted top 5 in the last couple of drafts looks solid. However the only one who's turned into somewhat of a star as of yet is Doughty, but the others are young.

Based off of this I think EJ is very very close to being what you described at the end of your post. EJ isn't Karlsson but EJ will be trusted to be out there in situations Karlsson wouldn't be.

I'm fine with accepting EJ as a two-way defender with great defense and solid offensive (20-30 points not 40-50). Which is why I think we should get him a more offensively minded partner that can play solid defense, but great offense.

but realistically, in this day and age of hockey.
short of being a future all-time great at the position,if as a defenseman you're the "star" of your team and the franchise player you're likely not dynamic on defense.
really good offense stats, average to solid on D but not capable of being a shut down guy. granted the offense can make up for that.
this is why i'm not particularly interested in us drafting more smallish D men who can score.
we need fast & physical guys who can help defend, force the other team to get out of their game plan and keep Varly from getting peppered with shots.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Snipe
You really never heard of Berard? With his eye injury and steroid scandal, he has been in the news a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I'd take them over Hall or Seguin. Not that that has anything to do with Jones/Drouin/MacKinnon
You're comparing players at the end of their careers to players that have just started theirs. In 10 years your answer might change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Berard would've been a HHOF candidate if it wasn't for his eye injury, he was that good before it happened.
He was good but not that good imo.

Quote:

My top 10 right now in terms of who I'd like the Avs to take:

1. Drouin
2. MacKinnon
3. Jones
4. Barkov
5. Nichushkin
6. Monahan
7. Lindholm
8. Nurse
9. Shinkaruk
10. Pulock

As you can see I much prefer us to go offense over defense, history shows that offense seems to be a much safer pick early in drafts.
Me and you are always on the same page.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:42 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
You really never heard of Berard? With his eye injury and steroid scandal, he has been in the news a lot.
Nah, and over my 10 year military career I was deployed quite a bit as well. So I missed a lot of stuff, I've been back paying attention to hockey seriously since the season before Sakic retired as well. Before that it was pretty hit or miss as to how close I could follow the NHL.

I'm lucky I got to go to Sakic's retirement game when I finally got the chance to be stationed in Colorado Springs for a few years before getting out.

I haven't seen Berard talked about with the visor debate as of late either, could have just missed it though. I'm house hunting right now.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:58 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Bye Stefan Elliott

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nah, and over my 10 year military career I was deployed quite a bit as well. So I missed a lot of stuff, I've been back paying attention to hockey seriously since the season before Sakic retired as well. Before that it was pretty hit or miss as to how close I could follow the NHL.

I'm lucky I got to go to Sakic's retirement game when I finally got the chance to be stationed in Colorado Springs for a few years before getting out.

I haven't seen Berard talked about with the visor debate as of late either, could have just missed it though. I'm house hunting right now.
it was a pretty big deal, man must have been 10-12 years ago, with talk about them possibly making visors mandatory, i was watching the game when it happened, definitely an eye-sore when a guys leaking blood form the eye.

he was a really good player to , beat jarome iginla for the calder way back 95-96

Old
03-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Rhaego

As long as we get Drouin, Mackinnon or Jones I'll be happy.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway View Post
As long as we get Drouin, Mackinnon or Jones I'll be happy.
Yup. Can't get mad if we land one of them. Kinda hoping we will draft 3rd and just get the one who is left. If we pick 2nd and pick Drouin and then MacKinnon starts putting up points we will never hear the end of it.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:27 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Yup. Can't get mad if we land one of them. Kinda hoping we will draft 3rd and just get the one who is left. If we pick 2nd and pick Drouin and then MacKinnon starts putting up points we will never hear the end of it.
What you don't want another Tavares vs Duchene scenario?

I agree as well about getting one of the three, but we have to come up with something to argue/talk about. Everyone agrees that Sacco needs to be fired, and our defense sucks baIIz.

The to trade or not to trade Stastny has been beaten to death as well.

I think with Drouin/Mack and a coaching change, as well as at least just dumping two of Zannon/O'Byrne/Hunwick, and bringing in one more top 4 D. We could be a playoff team...

Without Sacco nothing changes, but any defender we draft isn't going to have a significant impact on our team for at least a year or two if not more. Jones looks NHL ready but no way is he top 2 defense NHL ready...

I think it comes down to how soon we want to compete/ how patient we want to be, drafting a forward and trading/signing a defender will have a quicker impact. Besides the coaching change of course.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:32 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
What you don't want another Tavares vs Duchene scenario?

I agree as well about getting one of the three, but we have to come up with something to argue/talk about. Everyone agrees that Sacco needs to be fired, and our defense sucks baIIz.

The to trade or not to trade Stastny has been beaten to death as well.

I think with Drouin/Mack and a coaching change, as well as at least just dumping two of Zannon/O'Byrne/Hunwick, and bringing in one more top 4 D. We could be a playoff team...

Without Sacco nothing changes, but any defender we draft isn't going to have a significant impact on our team for at least a year or two if not more. Jones looks NHL ready but no way is he top 2 defense NHL ready...
No I meant another Landeskog vs Huberdeau scenario. "Should have picked.... "
If we have the chance to choose and chooses the guy who puts up least points, it will get UGLY.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:40 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
No I meant another Landeskog vs Huberdeau scenario. "Should have picked.... "
If we have the chance to choose and chooses the guy who puts up least points, it will get UGLY.
Huberdeau vs Landeskog will be interesting but even if Landeskog puts up lesser offensive numbers I don't believe anyone will really blame us.

However I can see why NYI fans are defensive when it involved Tavres and Duchene. Because if Duchene turns out to be the better player as similar as they are, it would be embarrassing.

We will always have Landeskog's complete player tag to back us.

Drouin vs Mackinnon would be more similar to Tavares vs Duchene IMO. Maybe even more intense because they play together, so it brings up that whole 'what is one like without the other' argument, and 'who made who better' as well.

Old
03-24-2013, 06:50 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
... We could be a playoff team...

I think it comes down to how soon we want to compete/ how patient we want to be, drafting a forward and trading/signing a defender will have a quicker impact. Besides the coaching change of course.
I'm impatient, so I'll say again that both those pieces should be attainable with our draft pick. Plus a core piece doesn't leave except of course the potential draft pick. Although if its top 3 I'd be ok taking a fwd.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:45 PM
avsfan89

I hope we just rise to 3rd, and

FLA plus another team take Mackinnon and Jones

then Avs take Drouin.

Avs then trade Stastny+ for top four dman and were set.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:55 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
I hope we just rise to 3rd, and

FLA plus another team take Mackinnon and Jones

then Avs take Drouin.

Avs then trade Stastny+ for top four dman and were set.
i really don't see Drouin lasting past the top 2 picks.
Jones is a near lock for #1 and then it's Mac vs Drouin.
i'd love for us to get either Jones,Drouin or Mac but my preference is Jones to (help)fix the D.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Rrabb1t

Barkov would be an amazing pick at 4th overall. Heck I'd draft him in an instant over RNH or Yakupov. Thing about him is that I don't think he'll leave Finland just yet to play in the NHL. Another year in SM-league will serve him well. The upside is sky high though. Think Getzlaf (- the brainfarts) with a much better shot.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:01 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrabb1t View Post
Barkov would be an amazing pick at 4th overall. Heck I'd draft him in an instant over RNH or Yakupov. Thing about him is that I don't think he'll leave Finland just yet to play in the NHL. Another year in SM-league will serve him well. The upside is sky high though. Think Getzlaf (- the brainfarts) with a much better shot.
even if he had the brain farts of Getzlaf if you can take a guy 4th overall and get 70-90 pts and great two way play out of him then that's a damn good 4th pick.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:03 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
i really don't see Drouin lasting past the top 2 picks.
Jones is a near lock for #1 and then it's Mac vs Drouin.
i'd love for us to get either Jones,Drouin or Mac but my preference is Jones to (help)fix the D.
I want to fix the D too but I feel it's closer to being fixable than our Wing position. We have: Siemens, Elliot and Barrie coming up with a possible incoming top 4 dman through a Stastny/O'Reilly Trade.

We still have no finishing wingers. So I would def take Drouin even at 1st overall.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Zandar

Quote:

Drouin vs Mackinnon would be more similar to Tavares vs Duchene IMO. Maybe even more intense because they play together, so it brings up that whole 'what is one like without the other' argument, and 'who made who better' as well.
You do realize that Mac was putting up 31 goals and 78 points last year while Drouin put up 7 goals and 29 points. While Drouin did play 25 less games, he was not a point per game player while Mac was well over a point per game. Drouin went into the offseason and worked on some of his areas he was needing to improve in to be successful in the Q. Mac just came back and kept being a superstar. Mac has been an elite talent every season he has played while Drouin has had to work and adjust. You know what you are getting with Mac while there is some risks to drafting Drouin. Both are great players but lets be honest...Drouin has a lot to work on to make an impact at the NHL level. Mac could jump in now and put up noticeable points and he is just over a week from being a 2014 draftee. Would someone really pass over Mackinnon for Drouin?

Old
03-24-2013, 10:06 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
I want to fix the D too but I feel it's closer to being fixable than our Wing position. We have: Siemens, Elliot and Barrie coming up with a possible incoming top 4 dman through a Stastny/O'Reilly Trade.

We still have no finishing wingers. So I would def take Drouin even at 1st overall.
I'm a strong believer in never trying to fix a hole in your team through the draft. Always go for best player available. Nothing else.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:12 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
I'm a strong believer in never trying to fix a hole in your team through the draft. Always go for best player available. Nothing else.
I agree, but in terms of this draft you have 3 legitimate franchise players in different positions.

C in Mack

Wing in Drouin

D in Jones

You are literally set down the middle and D prospects like i mentioned before.

So just because Jones could be a little better on our top 4 than Siemens you're going draft him over Drouin who could be a pereniall 70-90 point offensive winger for Duchene or O'Reilly?

I personally think the Avs set themselves up for drafting Wingers this year by spending a great deal of drafts on Centers, Dmen and Goalies in past drafts.

Closed Thread