HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-24-2013, 10:16 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
I agree, but in terms of this draft you have 3 legitimate franchise players in different positions.

C in Mack

Wing in Drouin

D in Jones

You are literally set down the middle and D prospects like i mentioned before.

So just because Jones could be a little better on our top 4 than Siemens you're going draft him over Drouin who could be a pereniall 70-90 point offensive winger for Duchene or O'Reilly?

I personally think the Avs set themselves up for drafting Wingers this year by spending a great deal of drafts on Centers, Dmen and Goalies in past drafts.
Not to mention that Mackinnon could be transitioned to the Wing once he gets to the NHL as well. (Though I will say that scouting and watching Prospects is not my forte)

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
03-24-2013, 11:04 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
You really never heard of Berard? With his eye injury and steroid scandal, he has been in the news a lot.
Yeah I don't think he would've been HOF candidate, but definitely would've been an All-Star defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I'm a strong believer in never trying to fix a hole in your team through the draft. Always go for best player available. Nothing else.
I totally agree and with Jones you get the best player available and fixing a glaring hole.

I still can't believe Panthers are debating between all three forwards.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:39 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Yeah I don't think he would've been HOF candidate, but definitely would've been an All-Star defenseman.

I totally agree and with Jones you get the best player available and fixing a glaring hole.

I still can't believe Panthers are debating between all three forwards.
I'm not a scout or talent evaluator so here is where I have concerns. Does he fix the glaring hole on defense?
-he's RH, which should not matter much, but some coaches really seem to put emphasis on that
-Does his playing style complement EJ or do we end up with 2 really good RH defensmen on our top 2 pairings while still having a hole next to EJ.
-How long til he is ready for top pairing minutes

Old
03-24-2013, 11:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I'm not a scout or talent evaluator so here is where I have concerns. Does he fix the glaring hole on defense?
-he's RH, which should not matter much, but some coaches really seem to put emphasis on that
Even though quality does beat quantity, I am a bigger fan of depth amongst defensemen compared to quality. The best thing about Jones is he adds depth plus quality to the back end. If we do ending up drafting him I would definitely keep him on the right side,

Barrie/Elliott - EJ
Hejda - Jones
Barrie/Elliott - Depth

Barrie or Elliott has gotta move to the left, IMO.

Quote:
-Does his playing style complement EJ or do we end up with 2 really good RH defensmen on our top 2 pairings while still having a hole next to EJ.
Hybrid between EJ and Myers without the physical game. As I said above, I would keep him on right side, but every coach is different. Jones definietly has the potential to play on the left. Even though he is great 5v5, his skills shine on the PP and will be the most effective.

-How long til he is ready for top pairing minutes[/QUOTE]

Top 4 defenseman out of the draft, don't know how much he will improve after his rookie season.

His only problem are,
1) He tends to do too much with the puck, which makes his decision making at times iffy (makes through coaching and experience).
2) Tends to watch the puck at times in the defensive zone. (again comes with coaching and experience)

He will always have an occasional turnover because he makes risky passes, because that is his game. But you will like 99% of the rest of his game to overcome those mistakes.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:55 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Even though quality does beat quantity, I am a bigger fan of depth amongst defensemen compared to quality. The best thing about Jones is he adds depth plus quality to the back end. If we do ending up drafting him I would definitely keep him on the right side,

Barrie/Elliott - EJ
Hejda - Jones
Barrie/Elliott - Depth

Barrie or Elliott has gotta move to the left, IMO.

Hybrid between EJ and Myers without the physical game. As I said above, I would keep him on right side, but every coach is different. Jones definietly has the potential to play on the left. Even though he is great 5v5, his skills shine on the PP and will be the most effective.

-How long til he is ready for top pairing minutes

Top 4 defenseman out of the draft, don't know how much he will improve after his rookie season.

His only problem are,
1) He tends to do too much with the puck, which makes his decision making at times iffy (makes through coaching and experience).
2) Tends to watch the puck at times in the defensive zone. (again comes with coaching and experience)

He will always have an occasional turnover because he makes risky passes, because that is his game. But you will like 99% of the rest of his game to overcome those mistakes.
Thanks. Think I'm still on the Drouin/MacKinnon train, but won't be too upset with Jones.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:27 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Thanks. Think I'm still on the Drouin/MacKinnon train, but won't be too upset with Jones.
I totally agree that we should debate between all four players (Barkov should be added to the discussion), but I do hate the people who haven't watched a single game of Jones and just use defensemen history to conduct their opinion of wanting Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov over Jones.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:38 AM
avsfan89

vCash: 500
without Jones, our future top 6 d would be:

Barrie - EJ
Siemens - Elliot
Beaupre - Hejda (if he stays)

Now, with Jones that makes Elliot or Barrie play bottom pairing minutes which I think is counter productive to their potential.

You pick Drouin or Mack (if he shifts to wing) and you keep that top 6 d core I think would be a better roster than the one with jones:

Drouin - Duchene - PAP
Landeskog - O'Reilly - (either FA or winger from trade involving Stastny)

If Stastny is traded for a top 4 dman anyways instead of a top 6 winger, then Jones becomes redundant. It's all about Wing position IMO this year.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
without Jones, our future top 6 d would be:

Barrie - EJ
Siemens - Elliot
Beaupre - Hejda (if he stays)

Now, with Jones that makes Elliot or Barrie play bottom pairing minutes which I think is counter productive to their potential.
If that's our future D core, I really hope we get Jones. Barrie/Elliott's potential isn't anywhere close to Jones'. You don't pass up on a guy who could be a franchise defenseman because you already have Barrie/Elliott on the team. If Barrie/Elliott can't play bottom pairing minutes then trade one of them, preferably Elliott.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:52 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 281
Quote:
I want to fix the D too but I feel it's closer to being fixable than our Wing position. We have: Siemens, Elliot and Barrie coming up with a possible incoming top 4 dman through a Stastny/O'Reilly Trade.

We still have no finishing wingers. So I would def take Drouin even at 1st overall.
i disagree, one or both of Hishon and Sgar will eventually get moved to wing if we keep the other 3 center men together.
our defense is the worst in the NHL and the biggest hole on the team.
Jones would instantly fix parts of that. then you add in Siemens, a more mature Barrie and Elliot and that cures a lot of ills.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:59 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Any good power forwards this draft. Been wanting one of those since stew left

Old
03-25-2013, 02:26 AM
Rrabb1t

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Valeri Nichushkin.

He's perhaps not a power forward in the traditional meaning of it as I don't think he fights, but the guy is nigh impossible to stop when he's driving to the net. Huge frame, huge reach and really powerful skating.

Avs won't even consider him because of deep rooted organisational bias though.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:16 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

Quote:
does landeskog not fit the bill?

Old
03-25-2013, 07:25 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
I'd like Jacob De la Rose on second round.. just have to get one from somewhere. May not have top6 upside, though.

Old
03-25-2013, 09:21 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

If Jones is there, you take him. I know some want the big scorer up front to play on one of our wings, but the D is a friggin' joke and could badly use a franchise potential defenseman. We just have to bank on Landeskog producing, Downie bouncing back healthy, Ginner continuing to grow, Sgarbossa/Hishon potentially providing a scoring option, Parenteau goodness, etc. The D needs a horse.

Sacco and our D's motto - Smoke Meth for Seth

Old
03-25-2013, 09:30 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
If Jones is there, you take him. I know some want the big scorer up front to play on one of our wings, but the D is a friggin' joke and could badly use a franchise potential defenseman. We just have to bank on Landeskog producing, Downie bouncing back healthy, Ginner continuing to grow, Sgarbossa/Hishon potentially providing a scoring option, Parenteau goodness, etc. The D needs a horse.

Sacco and our D's motto - Smoke Meth for Seth
100% agree. Plus there will be some good scorers that may fall to the 2nd round, and IMO good scoring forwards are much easier to find Nic Petan might fall to the 2nd round in this draft (I think he will be in the early 20s, but there have been crazier happenings than a 10 spot drop).

Old
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I'd like Jacob De la Rose on second round.. just have to get one from somewhere. May not have top6 upside, though.
Oh god no IMO. Very overrated. We can surely find an equally physical canadian player with better hands.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:07 AM
InjuredChoker

^^^^

Not at late to mid second, where the pick would probably be, maybe. Though maybe some team like MTL could trade Calgary's second that they have or whatever.

Anyway, maybe/likely you've seen him more than I have. Just liked from what I saw, granted from limited viewings.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
tucker3434

Assuming all the stars align, and we end up drafting Jones, we shouldn't be counting on him to be our immediate fix. We can't expect an 18 year old to shut down the best players in the world right off the bat. We will absolutely need a #1 guy to be on the left side of Johnson. We can bring Jones along slowly in the 2nd or 3rd d pairing.

I can understand the argument for Drouin here. As Avsfan89 said, putting Drouin on a line with Duchene and PAP, then trading Stastny for defense makes this a very good team next year. That's a playoff team. I just don't think you can pass on a guy like Jones who could be a franchise defender for a decade. Those are pretty hard to come by.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:24 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Ideally the Avs want to be picking 3rd. Reason being is because there are 3 players who have separated from the rest Drouin, Jones, MacKinnon. By picking 3rd the decision gets made for you, because the other 2 teams pick the other 2 and you're still left with a top end player. Much like the Matt Duchene draft. There is no scrutiny like we should have picked Jones over Mackinnon or Drouin over Jones because you got what was left of the big 3.

There is a lot of pressure if you have the #1 pick, often time unless there is a Sidney Crosby type player the #1 pick isn't the best player in the draft.

My top 10 right now in terms of who I'd like the Avs to take:

1. Drouin
2. MacKinnon
3. Jones
4. Barkov
5. Nichushkin
6. Monahan
7. Lindholm
8. Nurse
9. Shinkaruk
10. Pulock

As you can see I much prefer us to go offense over defense, history shows that offense seems to be a much safer pick early in drafts.
I agree with the players in your list, for the most part, but the statement I bolded is quite bold. Every team ranks players differently and I can assure you not every team has those three guys as their top three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Assuming all the stars align, and we end up drafting Jones, we shouldn't be counting on him to be our immediate fix. We can't expect an 18 year old to shut down the best players in the world right off the bat. We will absolutely need a #1 guy to be on the left side of Johnson. We can bring Jones along slowly in the 2nd or 3rd d pairing.

I can understand the argument for Drouin here. As Avsfan89 said, putting Drouin on a line with Duchene and PAP, then trading Stastny for defense makes this a very good team next year. That's a playoff team. I just don't think you can pass on a guy like Jones who could be a franchise defender for a decade. Those are pretty hard to come by.
I'm not suggesting that Jones is going to step in immediately and be a key shutdown guy and play in every situation, but he would absolutely be an upgrade on our 2nd D pairing on the right side. That's how good he already is.

Yes, it would be ideal if he was left handed, but having him and Johnson on your top 4 is a hell of a place to start. Ideally I would pair him with Hejda, a guy who has arguably been our best defenceman this season.

That obviously doesn't fix the hole on our left side with Johnson. But, you can only fix one problem at a time and forcing Jones to play the left side wouldn't be the answer.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:28 AM
The Shermanator
Regular Sized Rudy

Tough spot for management for sure. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Hopefully we stay in the basement though.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:22 AM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Quote:
Adam Erne.

But unless we get another pick in the 8-13 range, or he falls to the 2nd round (he won't) then there's no hope of getting him.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Yeah de la Rose is pretty raw, but as a 2nd rounder I would be very happy to select him.

The player I hope falls to the 2nd round is Hartman, omfg it would be amazing to get him.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I hope we take Dillon Heatherington in the 2nd.

A big, two way left handed D that could be an ideal fit in our top 4 in the future.

Siemens-Johnson
Heatherington-Jones
Barrie-Elliott

Wow.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:49 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I hope we take Dillon Heatherington in the 2nd.

A big, two way left handed D that could be an ideal fit in our top 4 in the future.

Siemens-Johnson
Heatherington-Jones
Barrie-Elliott

Wow.
I really do like Heatherington, but not as a top 5 selection in the 2nd round. If that is the case, I would rather trade down and get two 2nd rounders, but there is going to be some really good players at the start of the 2nd plus the players who will drop out of the 1st round as well so I think we should hope he falls to the 3rd round.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

If Hartman fell to the 2nd, we would be absolutely stupid not to draft him. Somebody like the Flyers will take him though.

I like the Heatherington idea (moreso in the 3rd). I wish we could find a good offensive LD though. We seem to be very heavy on the right side in that area, with absolutely nothing on the left.

Closed Thread