HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I really do like Heatherington, but not as a top 5 selection in the 2nd round. If that is the case, I would rather trade down and get two 2nd rounders, but there is going to be some really good players at the start of the 2nd plus the players who will drop out of the 1st round as well so I think we should hope he falls to the 3rd round.
Everyone rates players differently, maybe we can net a later 2nd rounder with a deadline deal and take someone like Theodore in the early 2nd and Heatherington later in the 2nd.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
i would really love for Burakovsky or Lehkonen to fall out of the first and into our hands in the 2nd. not likely to happen but man alive, if we netted Jones,Drouin or Mac in the first and followed it up with one of those two in the 2nd it would be epic.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Our prospect pool has the potential to really take some big strides this draft.

Drouin/Mack/Jones as well as our 2nd(basically another late 1st) and potentially another couple late 2nds and we could really add some good pieces to the pool.

Plus a healthy Hishon. We could end up with a middle of the pack prospect pool after this draft.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Plus a healthy Hishon. We could end up with a middle of the pack prospect pool after this draft.
Only on HF do the Avs have a weak pool. It's a joke we're so low actually. Fans voted us #3 or 4 after we drafted Landeskog, since he graduated we fell to bottom 2-3? Nah, just poor coverage of our team on here.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:01 PM
avsfan09

If we do draft Jones:

Siemens-Johnson
Hejda-Jones
Wilson-Barrie
SOB

Defence issues solved. We could still use another top four but I would be happy with that.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Only on HF do the Avs have a weak pool. It's a joke we're so low actually. Fans voted us #3 or 4 after we drafted Landeskog, since he graduated we fell to bottom 2-3? Nah, just poor coverage of our team on here.
I don't think were even in the Top 20 right now honestly.

We don't have any true blue chipper prospects.

Barrie, Elliott, Siemens, Sgarbossa, Pickard are all good prospects who should all eventually be NHL players, but none of them are true blue chippers.

After that we have Aittokallio, Gaunce, Beaupre, Heard just to name a few who are ok, but will likely never be anything more then depth guys in the NHL.

I don't think we have a very good prospect pool right now honestly. Its not necessarily a really bad thing because our team is so young with really good young NHL players. But when it comes to prospects, I don't think were very good at all right now.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:17 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
I don't think were even in the Top 20 right now honestly.

We don't have any true blue chipper prospects.

Barrie, Elliott, Siemens, Sgarbossa, Pickard are all good prospects who should all eventually be NHL players, but none of them are true blue chippers.

After that we have Aittokallio, Gaunce, Beaupre, Heard just to name a few who are ok, but will likely never be anything more then depth guys in the NHL.

I don't think we have a very good prospect pool right now honestly. Its not necessarily a really bad thing because our team is so young with really good young NHL players. But when it comes to prospects, I don't think were very good at all right now.
I'll disagree on Barrie and Elliott, but beyond that all of our blue chippers are in the NHL. We have ROR, Duchene, and Landeskog who are all 22 or younger and have high end potential. Varly is young for a goalie and has elite potential.

The one area that the Avs could really use a blue chip prospect is defense. A top pairing potential D is the one big thing we are missing. It would be nice to have a RW with that potential but it really isn't needed at this point with PAP, Jones, and Downie here (should be a top 3 target in the draft IMO).

Looking at this team through the view of 25 or younger makes it look a lot different than just looking at prospects:

McGinn-Duchene- Meurs
Landeskog-ROR-Palushaj
Hishon (converted)-Sgarbossa-Walker
Olver-Malone-_________

Siemens-EJ
Beaupre-Barrie
Gaunce-Elliott

Varly
Pickard
Aitto

So looking at it that way we need a RW to pan out at a top 6 level at some point. We need a top 4 LD. We don't really need centers. LW looks good if Hishon can pan out. Bottom 4 D looks pretty good (considering 1-2 spots will always be an older player).

Old
03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I'll disagree on Barrie and Elliott, but beyond that all of our blue chippers are in the NHL. We have ROR, Duchene, and Landeskog who are all 22 or younger and have high end potential. Varly is young for a goalie and has elite potential.

The one area that the Avs could really use a blue chip prospect is defense. A top pairing potential D is the one big thing we are missing. It would be nice to have a RW with that potential but it really isn't needed at this point with PAP, Jones, and Downie here (should be a top 3 target in the draft IMO).

Looking at this team through the view of 25 or younger makes it look a lot different than just looking at prospects:

McGinn-Duchene- Meurs
Landeskog-ROR-Palushaj
Hishon (converted)-Sgarbossa-Walker
Olver-Malone-_________

Siemens-EJ
Beaupre-Barrie
Gaunce-Elliott

Varly
Pickard
Aitto

So looking at it that way we need a RW to pan out at a top 6 level at some point. We need a top 4 LD. We don't really need centers. LW looks good if Hishon can pan out. Bottom 4 D looks pretty good (considering 1-2 spots will always be an older player).
Downie?

Old
03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Downie?
Has less than two more weeks before he is 26. I'm one of the bigger Downie fans on here and I would hope you could count him on that list, but he will have to play well next season to get another contract IMO.

Old
03-25-2013, 06:18 PM
avsfan89

Why are we counting on McGinn to be a top 6 forward? He has done nothing but hit posts and squander a chance to really excel in this role. He needs to earn it back by outperforming his playing minutes. So I want him on the 3rd line.

If we:

1) Draft Jones, then Stastny HAS to go for a winger. Perry and Semin off the table now so it'll be even harder to give up drafting Drouin.

2) Draft Drouin, then Stastny HAS to go for a top 4 dman. This is what I prefer because the Wing market is getting slimmer and slimmer. Horton is the only guy that's of top 6 material now that Perry and Semin are signed long term.

Drouin - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
McGinn - Mitchell - Palushaj
McCleod - Olver - Kobasew

(dman from stas trade) - EJ
Barrie - Hejda
Siemens - Elliot

I'd LOVE to see this roster next year.

Old
03-25-2013, 08:06 PM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
Why are we counting on McGinn to be a top 6 forward? He has done nothing but hit posts and squander a chance to really excel in this role. He needs to earn it back by outperforming his playing minutes. So I want him on the 3rd line.

If we:

1) Draft Jones, then Stastny HAS to go for a winger. Perry and Semin off the table now so it'll be even harder to give up drafting Drouin.

2) Draft Drouin, then Stastny HAS to go for a top 4 dman. This is what I prefer because the Wing market is getting slimmer and slimmer. Horton is the only guy that's of top 6 material now that Perry and Semin are signed long term.

Drouin - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
McGinn - Mitchell - Palushaj
McCleod - Olver - Kobasew

(dman from stas trade) - EJ
Barrie - Hejda
Siemens - Elliot

I'd LOVE to see this roster next year.
Only other option I'd like to see tried before any trade is Stastny moving to Dutch and PAP's LW. Should get lots of puck possession out of that line.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:52 AM
fcbarcelona

I've done some scouting on my own. I must admit, I'm not exactly a professional at it. Especially when YouTube is my source. But, I would take Drouin any day over Jones or Mackinnon. All three players are smart and skilled. Jones and Mackinnon are more physically gifted than Drouin. But, Drouin thinks the game at a pace that is far above others. I would compare his IQ to Crosby. I also don't see his size being an issue. He's got good low center of gravity and routinely outwits defenders with his intelligence. He's also quite fast as well. I don't know how everyone else feels about Drouin. But, I am strongly rotting for The Avalanche to draft him. Am I being way off base here?

Old
03-26-2013, 01:15 AM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
I've done some scouting on my own. I must admit, I'm not exactly a professional at it. Especially when YouTube is my source. But, I would take Drouin any day over Jones or Mackinnon. All three players are smart and skilled. Jones and Mackinnon are more physically gifted than Drouin. But, Drouin thinks the game at a pace that is far above others. I would compare his IQ to Crosby. I also don't see his size being an issue. He's got good low center of gravity and routinely outwits defenders with his intelligence. He's also quite fast as well. I don't know how everyone else feels about Drouin. But, I am strongly rotting for The Avalanche to draft him. Am I being way off base here?
No, Drouin is my pick as well. That said, I really wish there was a way to get both Jones and Drouin.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Well Youtube scouting is never a good idea, I'll say that much. You are underrating Jones and the impact he will have on whatever team drafts him because Jones' effectiveness can't be captured in Youtube highlights. Although from the first time I saw Drouin I thought he was something special.. he just has that "it" factor that is really rare. I would take him over Mackinnon but Jones might be too hard to pass up.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:27 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
Well Youtube scouting is never a good idea, I'll say that much. You are underrating Jones and the impact he will have on whatever team drafts him because Jones' effectiveness can't be captured in Youtube highlights. Although from the first time I saw Drouin I thought he was something special.. he just has that "it" factor that is really rare. I would take him over Mackinnon but Jones might be too hard to pass up.
Seth Jones is special no doubt. I did get a chance to watch him play in the WJHC. He definitely is a smart hockey with the physical tools to dominate. I doubt he will not live up to his potential. But, intelligence is the most important attribute I look for and Drouin's intelligence stands out. Watching his highlights is like watching Neo dodge bullets. He thinks the game faster than most people can even follow.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:34 AM
Hans Landaskog

What it boils down to is, Drouin would be more entertaining to watch.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:37 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
What it boils down to is, Drouin would be more entertaining to watch.
Entertainment is not important to me. Winning is. I doubt many people who watch hockey casually were as fascinated by Lidstrom's puck awareness as I was. I will take intelligence in any form that comes at me and Drouin is an intelligent and crafty hockey player.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:39 AM
Hans Landaskog

Oh, I'm not suggesting that Drouin would give us any less chance of winning as Jones, just that of the two Drouin also has this wow factor that can fill the seats.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:40 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Oh, I'm not suggesting that Drouin would give us any less chance of winning as Jones, just that of the two Drouin also has this wow factor that can fill the seats.
Drouin would make fans in Denver forget about Forsberg.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:42 AM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far, Forsberg won't be forgotten any time soon.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:44 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far, Forsberg won't be forgotten any time soon.
I'm speaking figuratively of course. I loved Forsberg as much as anyone here.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:51 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
Quote:
People really like to over hype prospects. I like the kids game and think he's the right choice for the avs, said it for awhile now but he is not Crosby/foppa, jones is not the new pronger and Mackinnon is not Sakic. This is not directed at you Super joe.

Old
03-26-2013, 02:23 AM
finds71

I was at the Broncos game tonight in Swift Current. Colorado scouts were there including Richard Pracey. I saw them talking a lot with an anaheim scout. Just tought you guys would like to know.

By the way it was a great game Laurikainen really stood on his head and they beat Calgary in OT.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:45 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Weds game vs Calgary could solidify the tank. A win and were probably not looking at a top 3 pick. A loss however would give us good odds at one of the big three.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Freudian
wild card, *****es

Hartman seems like a player Avs might like, but it's doubtful he drops to the second round.

Closed Thread