HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I thought someone said he was an Avs fan? Looks like a Blackhawks fan.
There were pictures circling of him in an Avs jersey with friends when he was younger, and it was the Avs winning the cup that turned him 100% into a hockey fan. Im pretty sure he was an Avs fan(He also might be wearing his Portland Winterhawks jersey in the video).

Anyway, after watching Lindholms highlight video, and then watching a Forsberg highlight video.... Wow, as a close a similarity to Forsberg from any player I have seen.

If the Avs pick ends up as 3rd overall, and Drouin and Jones are taken 1/2, I would love to see the Avs make a deal with whoever is 4th or 5th and trade down to that pick, then take Lindholm with it. Hell I wouldn't even mind using the 3rd on Lindholm.

If we could get say the 5th + 35th from whatever team that is for the 3rd, I would do it.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:38 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Good video Pierce.

Small sample size as it is just the WJC, but just look at his ability. What you notice in this vid besides skating is his passing and high IQ. BUT the most underrated part is he gets ALL his shots through.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:40 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

This draft is looking pretty sick, the top 5-7 is amazing. Being a hockey db stat analyst.... you can just see the difference in years past. There's literally one great forward from each of the big hockey countries. You guys are talking a lot about Lindholm but how about the guys from Finland and the big Russian.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:43 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Just look at the play @ 2:48

Old
03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Foppa2118

The thing that stands out the most to me in Jones is obviously his shot, but also his ability to put himself into good positions for passes, and his mobility along the blueline to find an opening when it's not there. These are not strong traits for EJ, and I think due to his golf cart injury, Jones is a better skater both laterally and in a straight line.

I think there could be an adjustment for him defensively at the next level, but he seems to have good awareness and has the fundamentals down pretty well, to go along with the size and reach to help him out.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
This draft is looking pretty sick, the top 5-7 is amazing. Being a hockey db stat analyst.... you can just see the difference in years past. There's literally one great forward from each of the big hockey countries. You guys are talking a lot about Lindholm but how about the guys from Finland and the big Russian.
Yea, there really is a lot of good solid talent in the first 10 picks even.

Although, watching Barkov just then, I wasn't as impressed with him as I was Jones, Drouin, and Lindholm. He seems to be a hell of a goal scorer, and uses his size pretty well, but Im not sure he would have the high end potential the other 3 I mentioned have.

Jones, Drouin, and Lindholm all have elite HOF potential IMO, Barkov looks like he could be a good #1C, but not elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Good video Pierce.

Small sample size as it is just the WJC, but just look at his ability. What you notice in this vid besides skating is his passing and high IQ. BUT the most underrated part is he gets ALL his shots through.

Yea I saw that video to. I was gonna watch that one after but I got side tracked by Forsberg, Lindholm, and Barkov haha.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:21 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

Thinking about it Mackinnon seems like the guy we would target. Two-way character kind of guy, I hope the team goes outside the box and gets the flashy player though.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Nice looking mother.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Good video Pierce.

wow I want this guy. He would be perfect for us. Looks like Rob Blake to me.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

I wouldn't mind Seth Jones...

But I want a high-impact Forward.

This Drouin or Mackinnon guy. Someone who will be putting the puck in the net.

I personally think that Siemens took great strides this year, and can be someone to help our Defensive Corps as soon as next year (more likely the year after)

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
Old
03-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Cullen Bohannon

We have a ton of guys that can put pucks in the net.

The problem is, their confidence gets deflate when they guys on the back end can't prevent goals being scored on them.

Thus, we need a severe improvement on D, and not only is Jones the best player in the draft, he's the best fit for the team as well.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:16 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
We have a ton of guys that can put pucks in the net.

The problem is, their confidence gets deflate when they guys on the back end can't prevent goals being scored on them.

Thus, we need a severe improvement on D, and not only is Jones the best player in the draft, he's the best fit for the team as well.
We have depth scorers, a lot of people who can pot between 15-25 goals, which is nice, no doubt, but I think that we have the tools on Defense, as soon as next year, no reason to shore up some of the Wing depth (because Jones appears to have regressed BIG TIME)

Old
03-28-2013, 05:19 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

The only downside, and I mean only downside of taking Jones is that he typically plays the right side. One of Barrie, EJ, or Jones would have to adapt to the left. It can be done though (as long as Sacco is gone anyway).

I like the high end forward skill available with the other picks, but I don't really see the extreme need for them.

Right now the Avs have:

25-35g: Duchene, Landeskog
20-25g: PAP, Stastny
15-25g: McGinn, ROR, Downie, Jones (when he isn't drunk)

Beyond them you have Mitchell and Palushaj who could be included in the 15-25 group, but I need to see more consistency. Also, Sgarbossa has a hell of a shot if he ever decides to use it, he could develop into a 20g guy eventually.

Also, for the 2nd round pick you should be able to get a guy who can score some goals. There is enough forward depth that you can probably find a top6 potential forward with the 30-35th pick.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

With how good the Top 5-7 is in this draft(Hell the Top 10 is good) I would be ok with getting any of the top ranked 5. However personally this would be my list, and its probably a little different then the normal.

1. Jones
2. Lindholm
3. Drouin
4. Mackinnon
5. Shinkaruk

I just love how good Lindholm looks. IMO he looks more composed and smarter with the puck then Drouin does, both guys are of the flashy type, but I think Lindholm uses his frame to protect the puck better then Drouin, and from what I have read Lindholm is also a solid 2 way guy.

But again, with a Pick at say #3. You cant really go wrong with anyone there, so long as its a concensus Top 7 or so guy.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:35 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Is that highlight pack actually the first time people are seeing what Seth Jones brings? Man oh man. Glad people are finally catching on but jeeze.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:42 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Is that highlight pack actually the first time people are seeing what Seth Jones brings? Man oh man. Glad people are finally catching on but jeeze.
I know right?!

Old
03-28-2013, 05:43 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Gotta love youtube scouting.

That highlight pack probably isn't even Jones' best. He is a simply outstanding defensemen. IMO he is more impressive when you watch him in person and see all the little things he does up close.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Lonewolfe2015

I watched all of the WJC and Jones really impressed me. Aside from his initial jitters, he handled his role very well on both the defensive end and offensively. I like his mobility combined with size, he makes me think of Siemens with the type of offensive game I wish Duncan could develop.

With that said, Drouin also impressed me a lot. If we land either of them then we've gotten a very nice consolation prize for living through such a dreadful season.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:47 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Gotta love youtube scouting.

That highlight pack probably isn't even Jones' best. He is a simply outstanding defensemen. IMO he is more impressive when you watch him in person and see all the little things he does up close.

Better than using #1 overall history for defensemen and making a judgement on Jones on that.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I've seen Jones play a nice bit as well, mostly from the WJC's.

I always knew he was good, I am still skeptical of taking a Dman 1st overall.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I'm pretty sure most people at this point have seen Jones' highlight vids. As well as Drouin and a lot of others.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

You have to take Seth Jones if he's available when we pick IMO. Don't see a case for anyone else.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I watched all of the WJC and Jones really impressed me. Aside from his initial jitters, he handled his role very well on both the defensive end and offensively. I like his mobility combined with size, he makes me think of Siemens with the type of offensive game I wish Duncan could develop.

With that said, Drouin also impressed me a lot. If we land either of them then we've gotten a very nice consolation prize for living through such a dreadful season.
Its not so bad when you consider this nightmare was only half a season instead of the full 82. Im full fledge on the tank and I want Jones but damn Drouin such a sexy pick

Old
03-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

What WJC were you watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
You have to take Seth Jones if he's available when we pick IMO. Don't see a case for anyone else.
There's definitely a case for Drouin and even Nathan.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
What WJC were you watching?

The better question is what WJC were you watching?

Jones was a beast the entire time. Smart decisions, fantastic skating, and a really good shot.

Closed Thread