HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Jones was average in the group stage but was very good in the final two games, from what I saw.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
The better question is what WJC were you watching?

Jones was a beast the entire time. Smart decisions, fantastic skating, and a really good shot.
Beast the guy was terrible defensively, the most glaring error was his soft ass play on Nichuskin. He was solid offensively but defensive garbage. As for Freudian said he did get better but in no way was he a beast.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

vCash: 500
I'm really starting to want Drouin and Mac. Jones would be great but I want that high end offensive talent. Guy's who have a great shot at being PPG players in the NHL. Team has enough character, two way play and grit or whatever. We need top end talent. We need another Duchene, or even somebody who has the potential to be better.

Don't get me wrong I'd be thrilled with Jones. I haven't seen alot of him so feel free to rip me for my next comment but feels like there's always this great defensive prospect and they never meet full expectations. Hedman, Larsson, Johnson etc. All very good players but not as good as they were suppose to be, feels like that happens with defensemen more than forwards because it's harder to project them long term.

I'd rather move Staz for an established player on the back end and try and make some improvements on the back end via FA + continuing to develop Elliot, Barrie, Duncan.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
Beast the guy was terrible defensively, the most glaring error was his soft ass play on Nichuskin. He was solid offensively but defensive garbage. As for Freudian said he did get better but in no way was he a beast.
Holy crap talk about overreaction, D2M.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Holy crap talk about overreaction, D2M.
You're talking to the guy who compared him lollebda in a wjc game. I tried to pull up that thread but couldn't find it, anyone remember what thread we used to discuss the wjc this year?

In honesty, I think people are going overboard with his height and skating ability.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:12 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
You're talking to the guy who compared him lollebda in a wjc game. I tried to pull up that thread but couldn't find it, anyone remember what thread we used to discuss the wjc this year?

In honesty, I think people are going overboard with his height and skating ability.

I can say the same thing about Drouin stickhandling through a bunch of Latvian or Saint John players.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post

I can say the same thing about Drouin stickhandling through a bunch of Latvian or Saint John players.
You could but you'd be wrong.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:57 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

I had to look up what I voted for. Its either age, or the taxation the poor play has had on my brain.

Wonder how many people would change their answers in the poll after this season.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
What WJC were you watching?
The ones where Jones was very strong on his skates, offensively authoritative and defensively adapted well? I said he had initial jitters, his first couple games he was timid and looked unsure of himself against the better skilled competition. But he eventually settled down and was very confident in himself and made some impressive plays, especially in the medal rounds.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I had to look up what I voted for. Its either age, or the taxation the poor play has had on my brain.

Wonder how many people would change their answers in the poll after this season.
The genius who made the thread doesn't even have the right answer as an option. BPA every time.

love you SEPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
The ones where Jones was very strong on his skates, offensively authoritative and defensively adapted well? I said he had initial jitters, his first couple games he was timid and looked unsure of himself against the better skilled competition. But he eventually settled down and was very confident in himself and made some impressive plays, especially in the medal rounds.
I disagree.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Lindholm definitely has a lot to like but a lot of those highlights make me wary that with less time and space in the NHL, he might hold on to the puck too long in the corner and behind the net and would get closed off fairly easily. Some of those dipsy doodle moves at the blueline are barely working in the SEL too, and that scares me in terms of knee or concussion type injuries in the NHL.

He could vary well adjust, but it was just something that caught my attention a little more than with other prospects.

As much as Drouin likes to make dipsy doodle fancy plays too, he seems to be much more aware of his surroundings, and is more elusive. Also makes a lot of quick heads up little passes in tight.
You are worried about Lindholm but bring up Drouin? You do realize that those dipsy doodle fancy plays come against Q level Ds with linemates named Mackinnon and Frk? After Drouin tries the fancy stuff and an NHL D takes him out lets hope he doesn't become the Laflamme character in Goon 2. Lindholm plays against men every game. Sure he has more space but the style of play is much more NHL like than the Q. Both are amazing talents no matter and should adjust to the NHL.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:50 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
You have to take Seth Jones if he's available when we pick IMO. Don't see a case for anyone else.
Are you saying that Seth Jones is unequivocally smarter than Drouin or Lindholm? Just looking to start a healthy debate.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
I disagree.
I'll take this under advisement?

Old
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
Are you saying that Seth Jones is unequivocally smarter than Drouin or Lindholm? Just looking to start a healthy debate.
Seth Jones is just that far ahead of the others, and he fills a big organizational need. Many scouts say that Jones could play in the NHL now at a decent level. I'm a big fan of Mac, and past him really like Drouin as a top 3 pick. They are all great, but Jones is the best pick for the Avs.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:05 PM
fcbarcelona

Can you give me some examples of his hockey IQ surpassing every player in the draft?

Old
03-28-2013, 10:21 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Can you give me some examples of his hockey IQ surpassing every player in the draft?
I don't think his hockey IQ is the highest of all the players in the draft, but it is top 10. Break down a few game tapes and you will see it. Why you draft Jones is his overall ability, he is the best player and fills the biggest organizational need.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:31 PM
fcbarcelona

He's a smart defenseman. But, I never saw him as being dominantly defensively so far. Tough to do at WJHC anyway. But, organizational needs are hardly relevant when drafting. Drafting good players is important. It's less risky to draft a forward high than a defenseman. Defenseman are really tough to cultivate. Goalies too. The Avs also have a better track record drafting forwards. In any event, I think Drouin's intelligence is among the best and hockey IQ is what matters most. I don't think you can say that Jones is the clear cut choice. As well,knowing the Aalanche, I would bet they have Drouin ranked number 1.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:40 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
He's a smart defenseman. But, I never saw him as being dominantly defensively so far. Tough to do at WJHC anyway. But, organizational needs are hardly relevant when drafting. Drafting good players is important. It's less risky to draft a forward high than a defenseman. Defenseman are really tough to cultivate. Goalies too. The Avs also have a better track record drafting forwards. In any event, I think Drouin's intelligence is among the best and hockey IQ is what matters most. I don't think you can say that Jones is the clear cut choice. As well,knowing the Aalanche, I would bet they have Drouin ranked number 1.
If hockey IQ is your highest quality, Lazar is your guy... a late 1st early 2nd pick.

Jones is the best player in the draft and I stand by that 100%.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
You are worried about Lindholm but bring up Drouin? You do realize that those dipsy doodle fancy plays come against Q level Ds with linemates named Mackinnon and Frk? After Drouin tries the fancy stuff and an NHL D takes him out lets hope he doesn't become the Laflamme character in Goon 2. Lindholm plays against men every game. Sure he has more space but the style of play is much more NHL like than the Q. Both are amazing talents no matter and should adjust to the NHL.
I'd be a little worried about Drouin too, no doubt.

Lindholm makes those dance around the D stepping up on you at the blueline plays all the time that leave your knee exposed, and he's barely getting away unscathed in the SEL sometimes. Also as I mentioned he tries to hold onto the puck a long time down low and hold off the contact instead of passing to the open man, but NHL defenseman will just close on you and play the body on his hands to turn the puck over.

Obviously he's not the first to have to probably adjust his game, or ratchet up the speed to make it work, but that was the impression I got. Not saying he can't adjust, but just that I think he will have to.

Drouin on the other hand makes a lot of little plays in close at low speed. What he'll have to worry about is plays being broken up easily with the stick from NHL caliber defenseman, or being placed on his keister by a D playing the body instead of the puck.

Like I mentioned though, he has an elusive quality to him that not too many players in the NHL have, and there's a chance he might be able to make some of the same plays work. Similar to Jeff Skinner and Pat Kane IMO.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:44 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Not a chance...

Knowing the Avs, they probably have Drouin ranked at the lower end of the top 5.

Drouin is all about offense and flashy plays. The Avs have shown recently to stay away from guys like that, and to pick 2 way character guys.

Jones is #1 on the Avs list, because he is #1 on everyones list. After that, it is anybodys guess, and there really isn't a right or wrong answer.

But, for #1 there is a right answer, and its Seth Jones.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:46 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post

How do you think he projects? defensemen really do seem tough to project long term. Also going into next season with the way the Avalanche are defensively how do you think he'd fair? .. Avalanche probably end up ruining him by throwing him into this mess

So many skilled forwards this draft that just feel alot safer.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:50 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverNATION View Post
How do you think he projects? defensemen really do seem tough to project long term. Also going into next season with the way the Avalanche are defensively how do you think he'd fair? .. Avalanche probably end up ruining him by throwing him into this mess

So many skilled forwards this draft that just feel alot safer.
As most people do, high end #1D. Next year could play 18-20 minutes and look solid doing it. Would QB the 2nd PP.

Forwards are always safer. Safe isn't always the best pick.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I think a #1 defenseman is a more pressing need than a #1 scoring winger, though not by much. We'll be addressing a big need regardless if we draft in the top 5.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:31 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I think a #1 defenseman is a more pressing need than a #1 scoring winger, though not by much. We'll be addressing a big need regardless if we draft in the top 5.
Yes , all they have to do is draft the best player available, regardless of the position he's playing .

Old
03-28-2013, 11:33 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
If hockey IQ is your highest quality, Lazar is your guy... a late 1st early 2nd pick.

Within reason, hockey IQ is every scouts top quality. I'll never forget being grilled by a Jets amateur scout about this.

Closed Thread