HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

EOJHL Regular Season Underway

Old
03-04-2013, 07:31 AM
bdevil19

vCash: 500
Renfrew/ Perth

Just a couple of thoughts.
Why does this league not use the 2 man ref system. I know it is a added expense but would cut down alot of the BS and bring some creditabilty to the league.

Perth's problems are more than just not being disciplined. They dont break out properly with forwards waiting for the long pass and most of them forget to back check. They gave up so many odd man rushes you cannot blame the goalie or the D.
If they dont start playing like a team this series will be over very soon. The big guns for Perth have not been present like Renfrew's big guns. Give Renfrew credit though they have come together as a team and are playing well.

bdevil19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:48 AM
HawksFanForever

Do you remember MacKenzie Weegar D 55 8 29 37 +47 50 2 he played with Winchester Hawks for a year.Come to think of it there have been three defenseman that have played with Aaron Dickerson those three years and two of them are playing major junior with a third that will play there.I would say that the Winchester Hawks is the place to play if you want to me noticed and to move up the ladder.

HawksFanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:51 AM
HawksFanForever

I have asked that same question and the answer I got is that is costs too much but I agree with you that it would make the games better. For whatever reason there have been allot of badly done games by Refs and I have seen them in person from the bench.I know these men give everything they have but I do see allot of PRIDE get in their way. It seems to be all about the refereeing and not the games.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:03 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
Do you remember MacKenzie Weegar D 55 8 29 37 +47 50 2 he played with Winchester Hawks for a year.Come to think of it there have been three defenseman that have played with Aaron Dickerson those three years and two of them are playing major junior with a third that will play there.I would say that the Winchester Hawks is the place to play if you want to me noticed and to move up the ladder.
Yes. He went from the Nepean Raiders to Halifax.

Dickenson couldn't cut it in Jr.A.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Weegar played a season with the Nepean Raiders before moving on to the Q, did not go directly from Jr B. Yes, Guy did make the move from Jr B to Major Junior but I think he was the only one to do it directly off of the Hawks. Adam Beveridge has had a good first season in Jr B but I do not see him as being the same caliber as either Guy or Weegar, but if he does make the jump I wish him the best of luck, he has not exactly stood out in his games with Pembroke this season. I would not get too excited, there is a long way to go from being "watched" by a Major Junior team to actually making the team.

Ottawa Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:18 AM
2pp

Quote:
With all do respect, I think you are talking apples and oranges here. MacKenzie Weegar had a great year with Winchester the year he played there but also keep in mind that he played a full year up with the Nepean Raiders Jr. A club scoring 50pts along the way helping Nepean make it all the way to the Fred Page Cup Final last year. Adam Beveridge had a decent year with Winchester this past year but is still unproven even at the CCHL level let alone the Q.

2pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
HawksFanForever

That is not what I said as he was the one that taught all three of them.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:22 AM
HawksFanForever

Not excites just stating some facts and how well Winchester Hawks is bringing on these sixteen year olds and giving them a chance. This league is only going to get better and is being noticed in a huge way.The Hawks get allot of scouts at their arena now.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:25 AM
HawksFanForever

It is so odd that nobody seems to want to give this organization any credit at all.All they have done is take on sixteen year old hockey players and let them play against older hockey players and improve on their skills.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:29 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
It is so odd that nobody seems to want to give this organization any credit at all.All they have done is take on sixteen year old hockey players and let them play against older hockey players and improve on their skills.
Not to be picky but Beveridge is 17. He played Major Midget last season.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:32 AM
HawksFanForever

He was 16 when he came to the hawks and turned 17 and he will play at a higher level for sure.He has the size,speed,great shot and his defense will improve

Old
03-04-2013, 09:39 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
He was 16 when he came to the hawks and turned 17 and he will play at a higher level for sure.He has the size,speed,great shot and his defense will improve
Again I'm being picky but Adam was 17 when he started with the Hawks. I know him and his father personally and he's a great kid. What helped him is that he had a huge growth spurt in the past year and a half. I'd be surprised to see him make Major Junior next year though. Hopefully he has a solid year with Pembroke.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:46 AM
HawksFanForever

He will attend the Mooseheads camp this coming season

Old
03-04-2013, 10:12 AM
2pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by keon1967 View Post
4-0 aeros in athens
Can someone please tell me how the MacLean kid (#23) from Athens was able to play in game 1 against Gan when he had 26 minutes in penalties including a M26: Checking to the head (10min), GM30: Game Misconduct Major Penalty (10min), 5 min Cross Checking and a 2 min Check to the head all at 4:22 in the second period in Game 7 against Brockville? So basically 27 minutes in penalties all at the 4:22 mark in the second and yet he is still able to play in game 1 in the Rideau final.

Last edited by 2pp: 03-04-2013 at 10:50 AM.
2pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:16 AM
HawksFanForever

You raise a great and important question as to the penalties he received he should have not played in that first game.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:20 AM
upinarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdevil19 View Post
Just a couple of thoughts.
Why does this league not use the 2 man ref system. I know it is a added expense but would cut down alot of the BS and bring some creditabilty to the league.

Perth's problems are more than just not being disciplined. They dont break out properly with forwards waiting for the long pass and most of them forget to back check. They gave up so many odd man rushes you cannot blame the goalie or the D.
If they dont start playing like a team this series will be over very soon. The big guns for Perth have not been present like Renfrew's big guns. Give Renfrew credit though they have come together as a team and are playing well.
I take it you have not watched too many CCHL games. The two man system is not required. Referees put the blame on each other for "none calls". Favorite answer to being questioned was "it wasn't my call, it was the other guys". Not only that but after every call they usually have a conference at centre ice to make sure they are on the same page. Just make the call and drop the puck. All this on top of $400 or $500 a night for referees. I suggest the jungle stays with one referee. Get rid of instigator and inciting an opponent rules. Let the kids police themselves to some extent. There is a reason the Cornwall River Kings get 2500 fans and the Colts get 500.

upinarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Again I'm being picky but Adam was 17 when he started with the Hawks. I know him and his father personally and he's a great kid. What helped him is that he had a huge growth spurt in the past year and a half. I'd be surprised to see him make Major Junior next year though. Hopefully he has a solid year with Pembroke.
If the guys who are eligible to return, do, he will have a tough time making Pembroke's team next year.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:30 AM
HawksFanForever

I totally agree with what you said here

Old
03-04-2013, 12:14 PM
longballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
I think one of five minute penalties against Perth was for that cheap shot that #22 of Perth did against Renfrew's #25. Some guy in the NHL (Philly) just got four games for a similar hit against Lindin from the Sens. I agree, I am not sure why the other Renfrew guy who went after # 22 did not get anything. I can only think that by looking at the game sheet, they did not consider it to be a fight. Can't explain the rest. #17 of Perth looked stupid after his fight, raising his arms in the air. Even the Perth coaching staff were raising their arms making them look just as bad.

Ref was brutal for sure, but brutal both ways.
On that play at the beginning of the second period perth received 3 fighting penalties and renfrew only got 2 which is hard to figure out since there were three guys from both teams fighting and the guy that #17 beat up didnt receive a fighting major which is hard to believe... after a terrible first period by perth they needed a spark and that seemed like the opportunity in the game perth could use on after scoring and starting the second period off all over renfrew... as an overager i think #17 was just trying to get his team going and rasing his arms is only to get the perth fans into the game in their opponents barn

longballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:40 PM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pp View Post
Can someone please tell me how the MacLean kid (#23) from Athens was able to play in game 1 against Gan when he had 26 minutes in penalties including a M26: Checking to the head (10min), GM30: Game Misconduct Major Penalty (10min), 5 min Cross Checking and a 2 min Check to the head all at 4:22 in the second period in Game 7 against Brockville? So basically 27 minutes in penalties all at the 4:22 mark in the second and yet he is still able to play in game 1 in the Rideau final.
The simple reason is that not one of those penalties is a suspendable offence.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:36 PM
hurricane11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pp View Post
Ya i was wondering that too. I was at game 7 and the Brockville player left a lot of blood on the ice. At Sundays game a Brockville representative said that the player received 15 stitches and needs 3 teeth removed and the coach requested that the league investigate and Shorey ruled that its not suspendable.

hurricane11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:15 AM
sens64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane11 View Post
Ya i was wondering that too. I was at game 7 and the Brockville player left a lot of blood on the ice. At Sundays game a Brockville representative said that the player received 15 stitches and needs 3 teeth removed and the coach requested that the league investigate and Shorey ruled that its not suspendable.
It was a crosscheck to the face (below the visor), well after the whistle. Should have been a multi-game suspension IMHO.

sens64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:39 PM
KL14

Integrity Issue Again

The suspensions in the NHL and OHL are more severe than anything you would see in the "jungle". It is sad statement that players' overall safety is it risk due to the people running the league not having the guts to make the tough decisions. Speaks volumes as to the leadership of those making (or in most cases not making) the tough decisions.

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:54 PM
HawksFanForever

Simple fact is that Shorey needs to go

Old
03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
HawksFanForever

You are so correct so why not get rid of these men who have know backbone and bring in some folks that are not afraid to make these calls. It is only going to get worse and It is really bad now. Does someone have to Die for these people to wake up.