Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjero View Post
Any word on Burmi?? I thought he would just be out a couple games. I'm starting to worry!
He's gone back to Russia for the holidays. The earliest he will be back is after xmas.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Any word on Burmi?? I thought he would just be out a couple games. I'm starting to worry!
Still in Winnipeg, I believe.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

vCash: 1814
ahh okay *phew* so nothing serious with his injury? Was it his shoulder or..?

Old
12-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfchef View Post
Looks Like Burmi is off to russia. Figured something was up when he went to winnipeg

http://instagram.com/p/S7nKyjueUa/
It appears this has been taken down. It did have a picture of the Ufa logo and comments from Burmi stating he was heading home. I really can't say what is going on.

Quote:
ahh okay *phew* so nothing serious with his injury? Was it his shoulder or..?
Unfortunately, there is no info on the injury as of right now. I doubt the Jets staff would have released him to go home had it been a serious injury. (Unless it's so serious he just needs to rest). Hard to say.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:26 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
It appears this has been taken down. It did have a picture of the Ufa logo and comments from Burmi stating he was heading home. I really can't say what is going on.

Unfortunately, there is no info on the injury as of right now. I doubt the Jets staff would have released him to go home had it been a serious injury. (Unless it's so serious he just needs to rest). Hard to say.
Yeah, it's kinda weird - he recently posted pics of himself in Winnipeg, but those could have been taken at any time during his medical stay here.

I feel kinda creepy speculating, TBH.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:

One of the writers at AIH questioned Burmi's agent about the pics.
He said that the account was fake...
Few hours later they were down

.... Conspiracy theories start now

Old
12-16-2012, 11:06 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
One of the writers at AIH questioned Burmi's agent about the pics.
He said that the account was fake...
Few hours later they were down

.... Conspiracy theories start now
Yeah, that's a fake account.

Old
12-17-2012, 04:21 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/...ars/in/3535223

Old
12-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
That was the first thing I thought when I saw the Instagram post. Then I checked his Facebook account which I know is legit and the exact same picture was posted.

Oops! I think something strange is going on here.

12-17-2012, 12:34 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
So long as he's worked it out with the upper brass and thinks he can develop his game better with the Ak-Bars, I don't have any problems with him playing out the rest of the lockout there. Would be kind of crappy to have that be the first 'official' release of the info, though. I don't want to see him bolt there just because he can.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:57 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
That was the first thing I thought when I saw the Instagram post. Then I checked his Facebook account which I know is legit and the exact same picture was posted.

Oops! I think something strange is going on here.
Ugh: I hate how smiley's can't convey enough meaning - the wink was to denote that I DO think that's truly Burmi's account.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Ugh: I hate how smiley's can't convey enough meaning - the wink was to denote that I DO think that's truly Burmi's account.
Oh yeah I got that... was just supporting your post.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:55 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
I was checking out the division standings earlier today and, surprise surprise, the IceCaps are last in their division. What strikes me as annoying is that the top place team has more goals against than the IceCaps do, and Pasquale has a .924 SV%, which is far from being the worst in the division. What kills it is, of course, having the lowest GF in the division. I hope they get it turned around quickly.

Old
12-18-2012, 07:31 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Note they are only 5 points out of first in the division, and while they are 11th are only one point out of eighth in the east. Recently there are good signs on the scoring front.

Don't forget they will be on Sportsnet the next two Fridays.

Also don't forget, the Caps are playing against teams with as many as seven NHL players, the Caps have no one that played significant NHL minutes last season.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:53 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Haha

I tweeted this:

"B4 last week Maxwell, Burmi, Telegin, O'Neill, Arsene, Whitmore, Gagnon & Chiarot put up 260 shots, but only 6 goals. #badluck"

To @garylawless and he read it to coach McCambrige on the air.

Coach choked on "luck" like it was a bad word. He said he was aware of low shooting % though.

Coach also raved about Burmistrov. Essentially blamed his line mates for the lack of production.

Old
12-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Haha

I tweeted this:

"B4 last week Maxwell, Burmi, Telegin, O'Neill, Arsene, Whitmore, Gagnon & Chiarot put up 260 shots, but only 6 goals. #badluck"

Coach choked on "luck" like it was a bad word. He said he was aware of low shooting % though.

Coach also raved about Burmistrov. Essentially blamed his line mates for the lack of production.
Ya, heard that. Sounded like he was trying too hard to quiet the Burmi watch back in the Peg.

Also was talking about guys not being too 'driven' (my word, not his) during the lockout as there wasn't as much to play for. Lawless said that would change if/when the NHL is playing or canceled (mostly canceled), as guys would then know where they would be for the rest of the year and better produce while they are there.

TBH, that says a bit about the 'character' of some of the guys if they aren't giving it their all in the AHL, regardless if the NHLPA is locked out or not. Seemed to single out Machacek and Klingberg the most with that comment (after hearing other comments later).

Old
12-18-2012, 09:03 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Haha

I tweeted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Ya, heard that. Sounded like he was trying too hard to quiet the Burmi watch back in the Peg.

Also was talking about guys not being too 'driven' (my word, not his) during the lockout as there wasn't as much to play for. Lawless said that would change if/when the NHL is playing or canceled (mostly canceled), as guys would then know where they would be for the rest of the year and better produce while they are there.

TBH, that says a bit about the 'character' of some of the guys if they aren't giving it their all in the AHL, regardless if the NHLPA is locked out or not. Seemed to single out Machacek and Klingberg the most with that comment (after hearing other comments later).
Yea coach said "Klinger" (his words not mine ) needed to be more consistant. coach shot really strait saying some times he would battle for the puck next day he would tip toe into the corner. Coach said if he wanted to be a bottom 6 player in the NHL he was gong to have to be tougher to play against "even if it wasn't in his nature" (ouch). Not a good review.

Was more positive about Telegin when asked and said "he has NHL level speed and an NHL level shot but he was really raw when he arrived this year. Said he liked to play more of a rover roll and he just needs time to learn the game and become a pro. coach said when (not if) he gets a shot with the Jets he needs to play like coach Noel will want him to play or he will get sent back the next day. sounds like Ivan has all the tools but just needs time to grow and learn.

yea on Burmi the coach couldn't have been more positive about his skill and attitude. The quote was he would have to tare Alex off the ice after practice to get him on the bus and that he loved being on the ice all the time and said he was a great teammate. IMHO he wasn't just saying it he was legitimately enthusiastic when the subject of Burmi came up.

I jumped out of my vehicle to go to Safeway just as Macho came up so I missed it.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Now I'm not saying that is neccessarily "smart" but it's reasonable and I can't blame those, particularly Machacek. Machacek has done EVERYTHING he possibly can at the AHL level and even showed he belonged in NHL late last season(no matter those advanced stats, he looked GREAT on the 4th line for more than pts late in WPG). Now after years of being stuck in AHL he has finally earned and should have gotten his NHL roster spot...and the league gets locked out. You work your whole life for ONE chance, and it is stolen from you from factors outside your control...and you are expected to go back to your ****** dayjob (let's face it, that's what it is for minor leaguers, making ~60K with crazy travel, living wherever they put you, etc) and be 100% ok? C'mon, this is shattering for these guys. Not to mention Klingberg moved halfway across the world for this, now to have no chance to advance and more money + prestige waiting for you at home? I'd be supremely upset as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Was more positive about Telegin when asked and said "he has NHL level speed and an NHL level shot but he was really raw when he arrived this year. Said he liked to play more of a rover roll and he just needs time to learn the game and become a pro. coach said when (not if) he gets a shot with the Jets he needs to play like coach Noel will want him to play or he will get sent back the next day. sounds like Ivan has all the tools but just needs time to grow and learn.
Which is why I will cheer the day Noel gets fired. He does not recognize talent, it's all too much about "buying in". Now that is important obviously, but there is a point where you have let the players play. They can play the system while being creative and creating plays. Sometimes as a coach you can't control everything, and Noel does not understand that, and instantly assumes any young guy is garbage/can't buy in if he works hard and plays even the tiniest bit outside the system. Look at Machacek. He got called up in February...and was solid in his first couple games in VERY limited minutes, then on a Sunday afternoon the Jets stroll into Montreal and lay an egg...except Machacek who works his ass off, is all over the ice, shooting, hitting making plays, best player on the ice for the Jets...his reward? A one-way ticket to St. John's. . Noel is not the coach for the Jets moving forward, IMO.

Old
12-18-2012, 09:43 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Consistency has been the main criticism of Klingberg for a while now, not sure his issues are lockout specific.

It seems that Gary can put words in a person's mouth. He has long hypothesized that motivation is an issue for some, and he has a tendency to ask for confirmation in a forceful way.

I don't really buy motivation as the problem. Bad luck, increased strength of opposition, coming down after overachieving, simply not being that good... Those are likely factors IMO.

I suppose motivation could be an issue for the likes of Postma, Burmi,RNH, Hall, etc. but by accounts it isn't. Any marginal player who sluffs off is dumb dumb dumb.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:

Which is why I will cheer the day Noel gets fired. He does not recognize talent, it's all too much about "buying in". Now that is important obviously, but there is a point where you have let the players play. They can play the system while being creative and creating plays. Sometimes as a coach you can't control everything, and Noel does not understand that, and instantly assumes any young guy is garbage/can't buy in if he works hard and plays even the tiniest bit outside the system. Look at Machacek. He got called up in February...and was solid in his first couple games in VERY limited minutes, then on a Sunday afternoon the Jets stroll into Montreal and lay an egg...except Machacek who works his ass off, is all over the ice, shooting, hitting making plays, best player on the ice for the Jets...his reward? A one-way ticket to St. John's. . Noel is not the coach for the Jets moving forward, IMO.
I'm in full agreement on Noel. Not a fan of his coaching style at all. We're probably stuck with him for a while though. I'm trying to think of a time that TNSE ever fired a coach - hasn't everyone graduated to the NHL? Was someone fired back in the IHL days? Is there some better league Noel can go from here?

Old
12-18-2012, 10:15 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Now I'm not saying that is neccessarily "smart" but it's reasonable and I can't blame those, particularly Machacek. Machacek has done EVERYTHING he possibly can at the AHL level and even showed he belonged in NHL late last season(no matter those advanced stats, he looked GREAT on the 4th line for more than pts late in WPG). Now after years of being stuck in AHL he has finally earned and should have gotten his NHL roster spot...and the league gets locked out. You work your whole life for ONE chance, and it is stolen from you from factors outside your control...and you are expected to go back to your ****** dayjob (let's face it, that's what it is for minor leaguers, making ~60K with crazy travel, living wherever they put you, etc) and be 100% ok? C'mon, this is shattering for these guys. Not to mention Klingberg moved halfway across the world for this, now to have no chance to advance and more money + prestige waiting for you at home? I'd be supremely upset as well...

I don't think your criticisms of Noel are fair. He got way more out of this group than they got in Atlanta. The offense stayed about the same, but the team did a way better job of preventing both shots and goals.

Burmistrov improved, Bogosian improved, Kane improved, Wheeler broke out and they all did it within his system.

Who cares how he handled Machacek (besides Machacek). Machacek is a 4th liner and he was on a 2-way deal. Fehr and Thorburn were on NHL only deals.

Plus both Chevy and Noel were clear that call ups were a GM matter. If you wanna blame anyone for the handling of Machacek, blame Chevy.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
I don't think your criticisms of Noel are fair. He got way more out of this group than they got in Atlanta. The offense stayed about the same, but the team did a way better job of preventing both shots and goals.

Burmistrov improved, Bogosian improved, Kane improved, Wheeler broke out and they all did it within his system.

Who cares how he handled Machacek (besides Machacek). Machacek is a 4th liner and he was on a 2-way deal. Fehr and Thorburn were on NHL only deals.

Plus both Chevy and Noel were clear that call ups were a GM matter. If you wanna blame anyone for the handling of Machacek, blame Chevy.
Really? All I see is 84pts versus 80pts. 2 more wins versus all the improvement of the above mentioned players. At the end of the day, wins is all that matters.

As for player improvement, Burmistrov improved marginally, IMO. He was a talent in his rookie year as well in both ends of the rink, his offensive improvement was marginal. Bogosian, well had a personal feud with the past head coach, I'd argue he'd have improved with any new HC, nevermind the fact that his best season was still probably his rookie year, pre leg breaking. Kane was trending up before Noel, he would have done regardless, IMO. Wheeler actually did just as good under Ramsay, the argument is that the icetime not the coach made Wheeler improve.

I don't think Noel had much hand in any of that. Noel does have his strengths. I think he is very good at getting the most out of marginal players. His playing of Timmy Stapleton was spectacular, the little guy was used in all the right situations, he was very effective under Noel. That is what Noel is good at, getting the most out of marginal players. But his use of Klingberg, Machacek, Kulda, Postma, even Burmistrov at times showed a complete lack of understanding how to bring youngsters into the league. Now these not star young players, but he completely misused ALL of them, IMO, in favour of guys like Flood, Jaffray, Gagnon, etc. He likes his useless minor league veterans, that's what he is good at maximizing the value of marginal players, not developing young players.

Depth is where a team is made. The LA Kings won the Cup because they brought in a coach who knew how to deal with Voynov, King, Lewis, Nolan, Loktionov.

If you think Noel has zero say in the call-ups, well I don't know what to say. Noel had almost daily meetings with Chevy, IMO. He would have had a huge say who is on the big club, IMO. Chevy is not operating in a vacuum, he takes all input. That being said, I do have my own issues with Chevy, that's for sure

Old
12-19-2012, 01:33 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Really? All I see is 84pts versus 80pts. 2 more wins versus all the improvement of the above mentioned players. At the end of the day, wins is all that matters.

As for player improvement, Burmistrov improved marginally, IMO. He was a talent in his rookie year as well in both ends of the rink, his offensive improvement was marginal. Bogosian, well had a personal feud with the past head coach, I'd argue he'd have improved with any new HC, nevermind the fact that his best season was still probably his rookie year, pre leg breaking. Kane was trending up before Noel, he would have done regardless, IMO. Wheeler actually did just as good under Ramsay, the argument is that the icetime not the coach made Wheeler improve.

I don't think Noel had much hand in any of that. Noel does have his strengths. I think he is very good at getting the most out of marginal players. His playing of Timmy Stapleton was spectacular, the little guy was used in all the right situations, he was very effective under Noel. That is what Noel is good at, getting the most out of marginal players. But his use of Klingberg, Machacek, Kulda, Postma, even Burmistrov at times showed a complete lack of understanding how to bring youngsters into the league. Now these not star young players, but he completely misused ALL of them, IMO, in favour of guys like Flood, Jaffray, Gagnon, etc. He likes his useless minor league veterans, that's what he is good at maximizing the value of marginal players, not developing young players.

Depth is where a team is made. The LA Kings won the Cup because they brought in a coach who knew how to deal with Voynov, King, Lewis, Nolan, Loktionov.

If you think Noel has zero say in the call-ups, well I don't know what to say. Noel had almost daily meetings with Chevy, IMO. He would have had a huge say who is on the big club, IMO. Chevy is not operating in a vacuum, he takes all input. That being said, I do have my own issues Chevy, that's for sure
you and your kings....

TBH, I'm not sure that he's the right guy for the job either, but the next season will be very telling if he is or isn't. I don't think we have to worry about TNSE not firing him if they don't get the results they want.

I'm kind of with Holden on this one, this upcoming season...I want the playoffs or I want to see a head on a platter.

As of right now, I'm not even sure who would be a good fit to replace him. I was always a big fan of Guy Carboneau when he coached in Montreal. i think the best coach for the team vision, if you will, would be Carlyle. Unfortunately...he's otherwise engaged.

Hey...

I hear that Ron Wilson is looking for a job

Old
12-19-2012, 03:10 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

If you think Noel has zero say in the call-ups, well I don't know what to say. Noel had almost daily meetings with Chevy, IMO. He would have had a huge say who is on the big club, IMO. Chevy is not operating in a vacuum, he takes all input. That being said, I do have my own issues with Chevy, that's for sure
Meh... I see both sides...
To beat more teams (ie: get more points) you have to outscore your opponents... how do you do that: score more goals and get scored on less...

* they had a goalie that played worse than the year before but still improved as a team (that's not bad)
* interesting you mention icetime for Wheeler, but then you mention Kane was always trending upwards. Kane actually scored goals and points at a lower rate per icetime his second season than the first... but was getting 4 more mins per a game of 5v5 time (plus PP time)... now in his 3rd season Kane is scoring over 2.4pts for every 60mins of icetime at even strength and his goal scoring is among the tops
*speaking of Wheeler, his pts per icetime was actually larger this last year than his Bos years.. his goal scoring dipped a teeny bit
* Burmistrov meanwhile improved his goalscoring per min by 40% and assists by 20%.. which is a larger jump than Kane or Bogosian did in their sophmore years
* Bogosian will be impossible to tell the truth... coaching relationship could be the cause or the effect
* with the whole Mach and adv stats thing... it's not like these are really twisted things... he was scoring at a faster rate than Neal, Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kopitar, etc. Do you really think that's the true Mach? Sure he made a difference in the games he played, we all agree there, but who knows with what-ifs and butterfly-effects
*looking at how everyone performed with particular players, he was pushing for the most effective lines/pairings when injuries weren't a problem

But, Noel is definitely not without his faults IMHO,
*keeping Flood up to sit in the press box? just throw him through wavers... you sent other better players through...
*Jones over Kulda or Postma... yeesh
*Stuart-Byfuglien
*not trying Cormier more... his scoring wasn't there, but for a youngster he was quite effective at shutting down tough matchups
*Stuart-Byfuglien... it had to be said twice...

with the pieces he had I think he did well... not saying someone else couldn't have done better... but he wasn't bad at all...
I agree with Sully... next season is the real test, when he has pieces (if we still have depth like we were supposed to in 2012-2013 )

Last edited by garret9: 12-19-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old
12-19-2012, 03:28 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

Yes, the result was two more wins, but the sizable reduction in goals against despite Pav crapping the bed is a major sign of growth IMO.

I really don't have a problem with how any of the youngsters were handled outside of maybe Flood / Kulda, and I don't think this was really a Noel issue.

Not sure how you want the others handled. Machacek was a marginal player on a 2-way deal and none of the others did anything to merit a look.

Noel was asked point blank if he:
A) knew who would be called up
B) had a say in it
He said that Chevy made the call and sent him the player who at that moment was excelling in St. John's. Chevy, McCambrige and Zinger all echoed those sentiments at various times.

Sure, Noel has some say in the kind of team he wants, but he didn't have the ability to send Fehr or Thorburn and their 1 way deal to the rock.

My issues with Noel would be:

GST sucked ducks and got worked, but the net results for the team (shots against / goals against) were positive.

GST members on the top PK unit.

Using Randy Jones down the stretch. (indefensible)

I also wanted Kulda over Jones or Flood, but I highly doubt the coach had any say in that matter.

Blame Chevy!

EDIT

Welly should have taken more draws too. He is better than Burmistrov and Antropov.

Last edited by truck: 12-19-2012 at 03:41 AM.
Closed Thread