HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why people from USA can't appreciate hockey

Old
09-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
Too many Caucasians. Once there are more minorities the sport will become more popular.
Unfortunate truth.
And unfortunately its also an expensive sport put your kid into.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
Unfortunate truth.
And unfortunately its also an expensive sport put your kid into.
Here in NJ it was too expensive for my Single Mother to afford. Almost $2k to step on the ice, and that's not factoring in any potential travel expenses. Like most kids around here that didn't go to a school that had its own rink/team, I learned how to play in Tennis Courts w/inline skates.

All the rich suburban kids played Ice. They were the Hawks. Me and my friends, we were District 12 with no Gordon Bombay and nowhere to play. Lucky Cake-eaters!

Devilshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFlyHigh View Post
From what I see, Hockey doesn't translate well for you because you have to pay for it. lol am I correct? Hockey is more exciting than Baseball, most of the time its quiet, like watching billiards (pool) or golf.

Football, I kinda like, but the reason its number one is because of so many commercials, so many stops, so many whistles, I refer to it as the "stop and play" sport. But I still follow it only because of my local football team. Soccer's field is too big for any action to happen every minute, if youre watching really good teams, it could go on without any score, the most boring part is the draw. Basketball isnt really an option. So yea Hockey is the way to go.
Or Curling.

Football is #1 because of gambling.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Pantherfan12

People in the US love hockey just fine.. Football just happens to be in the US what Hockey is in Canada, doesn't mean it's right or wrong, it's just the popular sport. I live in S.Fla and love hockey. I used to play street hockey,roller hockey, and Ice hockey but it's definately different then Northern states. Our local Ice rink closed down after the roof was blown off during the 06 Hurricane,so the next rink is about 30 mins away. We don't have ice that freezes in our backyards during the winter, which I would love, but we just don't. We American's don't hate hockey or have a lesser passion for the sport, it's just a different cercumstance. I am sure if you came to S.Fla, you'll see the hockey movement down here is definately growing, and we do have some Floridians who are actually making it to college hockey, as well as minors and possibly NHL.

I have a question to ask the creator of this thread.

Why do you hate hockey in Southern States? Why is it when I see a Canadian team come to town to play the Panthers, they all talk trash about hockey down here?? Wouldn't you want your favorite sport to become as popular in the US as it is in Canada (which is already may be )

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:07 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Or Curling.

Football is #1 because of gambling.
And the MNF disaster made it necessary to appease those gamblers. Throw in FF and it's pretty easty to see why football is so huge. Nice, neat weekend schedule and all.

True story, BC's provincially run sports lottery refunded any losing bets on that game because of that call.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 07:10 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
We don't have ice that freezes in our backyards during the winter, which I would love, but we just don't.
Ever been in Saskatchewan in January? I bet you'd take that wish back Mr South Florida.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote