HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Canadians (NWL/short season A ball) repeat as champions

Closed Thread

Old
09-17-2012, 10:20 PM

vCash: 50
This guys a punk, never really liked him but now I just lost all respect. What kind of pro athlete does that? Grow up.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 500
The way the word is thrown around, it's quite possible he's not really homophobic.

That doesn't excuse him straight up being an idiot though.

I was really proud of the whole You Can Play Thing and how the Leafs are at the front of that movement and in general, how tolerant a city Toronto is and then....this.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
The way the word is thrown around, it's quite possible he's not really homophobic.

That doesn't excuse him straight up being an idiot though.

I was really proud of the whole You Can Play Thing and how the Leafs are at the front of that movement and in general, how tolerant a city Toronto is and then....this.
Fortunately, this incident says absolutely nothing negative about Toronto or its fans. The actions of one idiot player (and possibly his idiot friends) are in no way representative of this city.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Cool Beans Man

AA, Escobar, Farrell and Luis Rivera will hold a media conference tomorrow at Yankee Stadium at 12. Should be interesting.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Fortunately, this incident says absolutely nothing negative about Toronto or its fans. The actions of one idiot player (and possibly his idiot friends) are in no way representative of this city.
Oh I know. There's going to be idiots everywhere, it's just disappointing.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Bisons announce the affiliation officially

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/182...ys-Affiliation

Old
09-17-2012, 10:42 PM
chewey
dmitri

I make jokes all the time with my friends and vice versa. However, you keep it in the locker room and don't bring out in public. Its not that you'll offend someone (cause really, I don't give a **** if I offend someone, the world and time doesn't stop because someone, somewhere is offended) but its to show a certain degree of respect for people.

As a professional you should never go out with "that" on your face.

I hope Escobar gets moved, not because of this incident.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Eb
TML

What does Lawrie have to do with Esobars eye black cover?

Old
09-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Don't want to drive this into politics but cases like this show how society as a whole is getting way too sensitive. We shouldn't have to worry that anything we do (Stupid or not) could offend someone. This is a mich bigger deal then it really should be.

I'm sure sure what Yunel would have that anyway, it's obvious an inside joke we don't know. We may see MLB ban words in eye black like the NFL does after this however.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb View Post
What does Lawrie have to do with Esobars eye black cover?
http://torontostandard.com/sports/ho...rtent-gay-icon

Apparently he's become a gay icon.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
AA, Escobar, Farrell and Luis Rivera will hold a media conference tomorrow at Yankee Stadium at 12. Should be interesting.
I've handled crisis media relations for sensitive issues before (corporate takeovers, lender backlash, workplace accidents and so on). I've also written policies for and coached several organizations and their executives on effective PR and crisis managent.

The Jays should have been out in front of this, but it will be very interesting indeed to see how they manage it tomorrow. They'll all be getting thorough instructions and carefully crafted statements tonight and tomorrow morning. I smell a case study!

Old
09-17-2012, 11:12 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Lol, Escobar

Old
09-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
(from that article)
Quote:
It's fitting then that Blue Jays… or the BJs, if you will, are the most sexually transgressive of Toronto’s major league sports teams.
lol, that's a new one.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:29 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
Is Rivera their translator? This should be interesting

Old
09-17-2012, 11:34 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Is Rivera their translator? This should be interesting
More or less. Rivera is a coach for the org but he's been up with the Jays for a while now to help with Yunel, Hech, and anyone else on the team who isn't strong in English.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 32 GP, 12-15-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
09-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Suntouchable13

It must have been a teammate playing a prank on him. Who could he have possibly targeted that message at?

Old
09-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
It must have been a teammate playing a prank on him. Who could he have possibly targeted that message to?
Maybe Lawrie for being a gay icon?

It must be a joke in the clubhouse or something.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Maybe Lawrie for being a gay icon?

It must be a joke in the clubhouse or something.
O yea, true. I forgot about that.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:44 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
It must have been a teammate playing a prank on him. Who could he have possibly targeted that message to?
Definitely a prank. I didn't even play high level ball and people used to do stuff like this to teammates all the time.

And its pretty simple too; you pre-write it on the strips and when the sun randomly comes out (which as someone who was at the game Saturday, it happened two or three times and would've been going right into the eyes of the middle infielders), someone asks for it and the guy who wrote it on there hands it to him. If you're focused on the game you're not exactly going to give a full examination of the strips and once its on you obviously you can't see it.

In a way, I'd figure he was just unlucky; it could've happened to any fielder.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:57 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Don't want to drive this into politics but cases like this show how society as a whole is getting way too sensitive. We shouldn't have to worry that anything we do (Stupid or not) could offend someone. This is a mich bigger deal then it really should be.

I'm sure sure what Yunel would have that anyway, it's obvious an inside joke we don't know. We may see MLB ban words in eye black like the NFL does after this however.
If he had a racial slur instead, it would be equally as bad. You do not understand the whole situation. Kids look up to these guys. What Yunel wrote, is extremely ignorant. In school if they are gay kids, they either aren't open about their sexuality or if they are, they have the potential to be bullied a lot. What Yunel did, adds to the discrimination homosexuals face. He should be forced to apologize and he should be suspended.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. You guys care waaay too much about this situation. I think it's hilarious. Why? Because I'm sure Yunel is smart enough not to do this maliciously, it just serves no purpose for him to do so. I'm assuming it's an inside joke with some on the team, probably a bet that was lost and he had to wear it. You're all blowing this up way too much and this is exactly how reputations start for such petty reasons He wasn't calling the entire gay community (well you know the word), it was used as a joke, and if you really can't take a joke then well... Of course he may get suspended because the Blue Jays, Rogers and the MLB have a "reputation" to hold for all the sensitive sallies around the world, but for you guys to be shaming him for this? My god... all of you please remove yourself from your highhorse. I hope you've never uttered a gay or racial slur...

Words are only random symbols until you put a meaning on those sayings. Case in point: Gay= happy, ******=pile of sticks

:

Old
09-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. You guys care waaay too much about this situation. I think it's hilarious. Why? Because I'm sure Yunel is smart enough not to do this maliciously, it just serves no purpose for him to do so. I'm assuming it's an inside joke with some on the team, probably a bet that was lost and he had to wear it. You're all blowing this up way too much and this is exactly how reputations start for such petty reasons He wasn't calling the entire gay community (well you know the word), it was used as a joke, and if you really can't take a joke then well... Of course he may get suspended because the Blue Jays, Rogers and the MLB have a "reputation" to hold for all the sensitive sallies around the world, but for you guys to be shaming him for this? My god... all of you please remove yourself from your highhorse. I hope you've never uttered a gay or racial slur...

Words are only random symbols until you put a meaning on those sayings. Case in point: Gay= happy, ******=pile of sticks

:
To have that on the field, in the bigs, in front of thousands live + television viewers is pretty bad. The majority of us have pretty much stated that it was probably a joke in the clubhouse or even a prank. However I've personally never seen this happen in the bigs and a suspension doesn't seem outlandish for such a thing.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:15 AM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post

:
If it's not a big deal, I suggest he wear it every game. See how well that works for him.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:21 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

If there was no punishment from the league I don't think anyone else would care if he wore it.

This really is an overblown issue; but that's just the way it is nowadays. He'll give a forced apology, show up at some random community event to support the gay community, probably take a small fine (that will be covered by the clubhouse) and then in a month no one will give a crap.

If he was hitting .300 I bet people wouldn't be running him out of town

Old
09-18-2012, 12:25 AM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
If there was no punishment from the league I don't think anyone else would care if he wore it.

This really is an overblown issue; but that's just the way it is nowadays. He'll give a forced apology, show up at some random community event to support the gay community, probably take a small fine (that will be covered by the clubhouse) and then in a month no one will give a crap.

If he was hitting .300 I bet people wouldn't be running him out of town
How is this an overblown issue? From what I understand the word ****** is highly offensive to the gay community. If he was white, and used the N word, he would be in severe trouble.

I am pretty sure he wasn't thinking. However, he should have to face consequences for his actions. If he continued to do it, then he should be shipped out of town. And I wouldnt care if he was batting .700 and hit 100 HRs.

Closed Thread