HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Canadians (NWL/short season A ball) repeat as champions

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Officially two years for Buffalo, fwiw

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...r_tor&c_id=tor
Supposedly, Ottawa is supposed to get a AAA team in 2013 or 2014, so might be that's why it's so short.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Terrence
Homeless

Yunel presser starts in 5 minutes. Here's a link:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/liv...ss_conference/

Old
09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Everlong
-

Escobar suspended 3 games, beginning tonight.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post

Weak.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:29 PM
ryno23

I don't buy the prank conspiracy theory. Even if a teammate did that you would think once the player applied the strips under his eyes Yunel would have gone to a mirror to make sure they are positioned correctly and look good. I know when I used them we had a mirror in the equipment bag to make sure they were on properly plus to me Yunel is a pretty boy and cares more about his looks than his play.

Also how many players saw that and never questioned it or got him to remove it once they found out what it meant. That screams lack of leadership and that has been evident for the whole season. Sure Jose is a leader by default but you saw him earlier this season showing up umps and that is not leadership and you saw it replay in Brett Lawrie's display of helmet tossing.

Don't even get me started on Farrell about his leadership skills.

This team needed a couple of veterans like they did when Scott Rolen, Carlos Delgado was here an pro's pro.

I have said it before this fiasco. Yunel is all about style than substance and the fact a pro manager like Bobby Cox who is one of the greats could not stand him means he has a problem playing the game the right way. Cox had some style guys like Fernadez, Moseby but they all played the game the right way.

I hope his value has not been diminished as I hope AA would have moved him for a legit starter but now who knows now.

3 games is very weak. Just seems like a small pittance to put a racial slur out there. At least the NHL crackdown on Avery when he said something and that wasn't even that bad.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Also how many players saw that
Probably not many to be honest.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Just an add, he (or the Jays?) will be donating the lost salary to the You Can Play organization. Not sure how much exactly that is.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:38 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Just an add, he (or the Jays?) will be donating the lost salary to the You Can Play organization. Not sure how much exactly that is.
If he makes $5 mil per year I'd guess its around $30K or so.

Also the press conference brings forth nothing that isn't surprising. Baseball players aren't intelligent etc...

e: I suck at math; its 30k * 3 games so $90k

Last edited by theaub: 09-18-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old
Everlong
-

Farrel "Yunel applies messages often on his eye-black so nobody really paid any attention to it in the dugout" (not an exact quote, my summary)

Edit: Hard to decipher the reasoning behind using those words exactly. The translation is pretty rough, but he keeps replying "It was just a joke, I didn't mean to offend anyone in the gay community. I embarrassed myself and the BJ organization, and accept my suspension" Etc, etc.

Old
MsWoof

Did he say why he did it and who he was talking about?

Old
09-18-2012, 03:39 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Did he say why he did it and who he was talking about?
Common term used in clubhouse among Latin players, term has no meaning etc

Typical stuff; most people don't write it on their face though

Old
09-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Common term used in clubhouse among Latin players, term has no meaning etc

Typical stuff; most people don't write it on their face though
Specifically, the meaning put toward it by those translating it wasn't the meaning he was intending to use.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:41 PM
RayzorIsDull

This press conference isn't helping at all. It portrays Yunel, teammates and latin american ball players in a poor light.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Paris in Flames

I've heard from others that the word has a double, less offensive term (well, I guess it depends on your definition of offensive). I just don't know how much I buy it.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
This press conference isn't helping at all. It portrays Yunel, teammates and latin american ball players in a poor light.
This really isn't surprising though. Pro baseball players, especially Latin Americans are generally poorly educated. When you get signed out of an academy at 16 or spend your whole life playing ball to try to escape Cuba there isn't a lot of time to learn social norms or be educated.

Some of them (like Jose) did go through the American university system and I mean there's a world of difference. The guy doesn't even know English yet and he's been in the majors for seven years...

Old
09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
I've heard from others that the word has a double, less offensive term (well, I guess it depends on your definition of offensive). I just don't know how much I buy it.
From what I gather, it's similar to the use of the word "gay" to refer to something that's undesirable. A lot of times the speaker legitimately doesn't see it as homophobic or questionable, but those understanding the context and the harm phrases like those can create can only see it as homophobic or questionable.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captn View Post
I would be wary because he's old and just had a season ending injury this year. No way I would sign him to a multi year deal. A 1 year discounted deal is an option.
I think everyone would be wary, including Anthopolous and the Jays. But assuming they'd do their due diligence with regard to his health, I think it's an offer worth extending.

Let's be clear: it's not like I'd expect him to play 162 games. Without doubt he'd miss some games. But to have that experience, and that bat, in this lineup for large parts of the season without taking up a defensive position would be well worth it. There's likely to be a bit of a drop-off in production (although we haven't really seen it yet), but even with a modest drop-off Ortiz would still project enormously well playing at Rogers Centre and batting in between Bautista and Encarnacion.

And signing him would not use any of the assets Anthopolous has at his disposal to acquire pitching help.

I get that the Jays would have serious competition to sign him, including the Red Sox themselves. I'm not in any way counting it as a done deal. We don't know for certain that Ortiz would want to come here, any more than we know that the Jays would be interested. Just saying that on paper there certainly appears to be good reason to explore it.

By the way, the comments from Yunel at the press conference so far are pretty lame. It's a word without a meaning? REALLY?

If I was advising Yunel, I'd have told him to voluntarily donate an additional 3 games' pay to those causes on his own initiative to underscore that he understands the seriousness of the issue, and that he wants to be part of the solution to discrimination and defamation in sports and in life.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:49 PM
ryno23

For those who are not watching the presser. Farrell looks tired and beat. Looks like this season has aged him 15 years.

Looks like a man just about to say screw it and I am done.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:52 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
This really isn't surprising though. Pro baseball players, especially Latin Americans are generally poorly educated. When you get signed out of an academy at 16 or spend your whole life playing ball to try to escape Cuba there isn't a lot of time to learn social norms or be educated.

Some of them (like Jose) did go through the American university system and I mean there's a world of difference. The guy doesn't even know English yet and he's been in the majors for seven years...
I agree that some players are poorly educated. I believe I saw a stat that said only 7% of MLB players have some type of post high school diploma or degree. Not that surprising I guess maybe I would have thought it might be around 15-20% but 7% is really low.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Why doesn't Luis just translate everything?

Old
09-18-2012, 03:54 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
For those who are not watching the presser. Farrell looks tired and beat. Looks like this season has aged him 15 years.

Maybe we can swap him for Valentine

Old
09-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:

They probably just got finished with practice, along with having to prepare for a presser on a very sensitive issue. I'd look exhausted too.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Paris in Flames

Quote:
They probably just got finished with practice, along with having to prepare for a presser on a very sensitive issue. I'd look exhausted too.
I wouldn't rule out him aging 15 years this season though. It's been pretty ridiculous.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:05 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
To have that on the field, in the bigs, in front of thousands live + television viewers is pretty bad. The majority of us have pretty much stated that it was probably a joke in the clubhouse or even a prank. However I've personally never seen this happen in the bigs and a suspension doesn't seem outlandish for such a thing.
Well the D-Backs called Kelly Johnson gay pretty much by making him walk out to Its Raining Men. Thats hardly anything innocent and no one outraged at it. Not saying its the same but you get the idea

People get bent out of shape at the word. Not defending him, its rather baffling that he put it on but I wouldn't call him stupid or anything like people are saying around here. Seems like straight people are taking more offence to it than gays lol

Old
09-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers

Quote:
Also how many players saw that and never questioned it or got him to remove it once they found out what it meant. That screams lack of leadership and that has been evident for the whole season. Sure Jose is a leader by default but you saw him earlier this season showing up umps and that is not leadership and you saw it replay in Brett Lawrie's display of helmet tossing.

I have said it before this fiasco. Yunel is all about style than substance and the fact a pro manager like Bobby Cox who is one of the greats could not stand him means he has a problem playing the game the right way. Cox had some style guys like Fernadez, Moseby but they all played the game the right way.

I hope his value has not been diminished as I hope AA would have moved him for a legit starter but now who knows now.

3 games is very weak. Just seems like a small pittance to put a racial slur out there. At least the NHL crackdown on Avery when he said something and that wasn't even that bad.
Lack of leadership? You're reaching here. If someone told him to take it off and he didnt? Is that lack of leadership or a man choosing to do as he pleases? I'm sure it was a joke. You know, something that all the boys laughed about, creating you know, a friendly, joking environment rather than a strict, dismal one it could be with the situation the team is in right now. You're looking way too far into this. Because Escobar didn't get along with Cox he's now less of a player? I guess since Rasmus didn't get along with TLR so is he? And Lawrie...? That's a joke.

Quote:

Weak.
What's weak about it? Oh no he said a bad word... ban him for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
So you'd rather buy the media reports that try to sensationalize everything over the person who had it written on his face? Oh, Toronto.

Quote:
From what I gather, it's similar to the use of the word "gay" to refer to something that's undesirable. A lot of times the speaker legitimately doesn't see it as homophobic or questionable, but those understanding the context and the harm phrases like those can create can only see it as homophobic or questionable.
Exactly.

Closed Thread