HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Canadians (NWL/short season A ball) repeat as champions

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
EDIT: ...and those places aren't necessarily that far away. I cringe every time I hear kids here (GTA) saying "Dude, that's so gay!" as though it were perfectly acceptable to use that as a pejorative. This may be nothing more than that kind of thoughtless ignorance, but that doesn't mean it should be tolerated.

Who cares. Any gay person that seriously gets offended over hearing something like that and knowing it has nothing to do with being gay is just way too sensitive.

Also this sensitivity training thing.... What the hell? The world is getting wayyyy too sensitive as it is.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:44 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

enough of the ethics/sensitivity debate. We're going beyond the confines of this as a baseball issue. If you want to talk about it more, use PMs or head over to the political board.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
Sometimes I use Twitter: @Nemesis_HF
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
09-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
regarding Ichrio, that's a put-on so he doesn't have to deal with the media as much. From what I've heard, he speaks a lot better English than he pretends to.

And for some reason, there are a few players from Cuba or other latin communities that either can't or don't learn English. Hell, Vlad Guerrero didn't ever speak English in his major league career.
I guess Vladdy would have been a better example.

they just hide it from us lol

Old
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Yep it was awesome.
This team has LOTS of talent but there seems to be a major lack of leadership and disclipline amongst the coachs or management. If you make major mistakes who cares, its all about having fun and there will hardly any punishment thus leading for players continuing to do the same dumb stuff time after time.

Zaun is going to get major heat for that segment today but he was basically on point with everything he was saying.
It's sad that he may get in trouble, because he doesn't deserve to for his honesty. If he's telling it like it is and you don't like it, then tough **** as far as I'm concerned.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:53 PM
DatsyukianDeke*
Dangle Dangle

AA magically got disconnected in the heat of the conversation, then went onto another call... I was dying to hear his responses to Brunt and McCowan. McCowan basically called him out, good for him. I'm wondering the response he will get from the fans at Rogers center.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:56 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
AA magically got disconnected in the heat of the conversation, then went onto another call... I was dying to hear his responses to Brunt and McCowan. McCowan basically called him out, good for him. I'm wondering the response he will get from the fans at Rogers center.
So was I. Whether I agree or disagree with McCown, if he disagrees with a situation, he's not afraid to tell you and ask the tough question. It's too bad we couldn't see the end of that interview there.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
canucksfan

So I take it Bob and Zaun were interviewing AA?

Anyone have a link to it?

Old
09-18-2012, 06:14 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Zaun link is at the top

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/on_demand/

Old
09-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Ohio Jones
Game on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Who cares. Any gay person that seriously gets offended over hearing something like that and knowing it has nothing to do with being gay is just way too sensitive.

Also this sensitivity training thing.... What the hell? The world is getting wayyyy too sensitive as it is.
That's just the thing... It DOES have EVERYTHING to do with being gay. It's telling people that something "gay" is bad. When you say it, you may not be thinking "homosexual", but you DO mean "worthy of scorn and ridicule". And when you're a young person trying to come to terms with your sexual identity, being surrounded by messages that being "gay" is a sign of weakness or sickness can be hugely destructive. How many kids have to kill themselves before people wake up to this stuff?

Words absolutely do have that kind of power, and if you can't recognize that, it sounds like you'd be a prime candidate for some of that "sensitivity training thing" yourself.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Ohio Jones
Game on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
enough of the ethics/sensitivity debate. We're going beyond the confines of this as a baseball issue. If you want to talk about it more, use PMs or head over to the political board.
Sorry Nem, read this after responding to the above poster. I'll leave well enough alone - obviously not making any headway with some people anyway.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:32 PM
canucksfan

I am loving this Zaun interview. Bang on.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:40 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
I am loving this Zaun interview. Bang on.
Like I said earlier I dont like Zaun much but this was a great interview.

Old
09-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Donny Bomby
Bunch of Bangerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Sorry Nem, read this after responding to the above poster. I'll leave well enough alone - obviously not making any headway with some people anyway.
Same could be said about you bud. I dont understand why this subject is now off limits though. There has been no name calling, no "fighting" but an actual conversation about the topic. It's a major talking point around the league right now, and about the Jays yet we're not allowed to talk about it? Come on now... this is blue jays discussion isnt it?

Old
09-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Same could be said about you bud. I dont understand why this subject is now off limits though. There has been no name calling, no "fighting" but an actual conversation about the topic. It's a major talking point around the league right now, and about the Jays yet we're not allowed to talk about it? Come on now... this is blue jays discussion isnt it?
Except that's not what he said. What he said is if you want to talk about it, take it to this board:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fo...play.php?f=160

Old
09-18-2012, 06:54 PM
TMLeafer
Rebuilding

I didn't realize Escobar was so jacked. Looks smaller on the field.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Just watched the press conference.....

All I have to say is....good thing Hechivarria is already on the roster. Yunel won't survive the next home stand.

Loading up PTS to hear Zauny!

Old
09-18-2012, 07:44 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Like I said earlier I dont like Zaun much but this was a great interview.
He speaks his mind which I love. Don't agree with him any a few issues, mainly prospects, but he was right here. Lawrie is a perfect example. Makes two idiotic base running plays in the same day and he responds by saying "That's the way I play." I have no problem with people making mistakes but I do have a problem with people not learning from them.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Donny Bomby
Bunch of Bangerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Except that's not what he said. What he said is if you want to talk about it, take it to this board:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fo...play.php?f=160
But that's not Blue Jays discussion, smart guy. If I wanted to argue with a bunch of people who care what political side you are rather than even listening to your argument then I would frequent there often. Here there is rational discussion. Over there is a bunch of name calling, political insults (which are hilarious) and just no discussion. It's a shame there can't be any sort of discussion in here for a length of time.

Plus there's no thread made on it currently.. I sure as hell aren't starting it. It's Blue Jay Discussion, nothing political about it.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:53 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
If you actually read my post, I specifically said that the debate about sensitivity or ethics were moving beyond the scope of the baseball issue, and should be talked about elsewhere.

If you want to talk about Escobar's suspension, fine. If you want to voice your opinion in support/opposition to what he did, the reaction by the team/league, fine. If you want to discuss his future with the team in light of this, fine. If you want to discuss how all of this relates back to the Blue Jays and baseball in general, that's fine. But this debate about how sensitive modern culture is or the ethics is wandering too far off topic and will basically end up hijacking the discussion and lead to insults (there's a reason that the Politics board the way it is)

And off-topic discussion is contained in the site rules.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:27 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
He speaks his mind which I love. Don't agree with him any a few issues, mainly prospects, but he was right here. Lawrie is a perfect example. Makes two idiotic base running plays in the same day and he responds by saying "That's the way I play." I have no problem with people making mistakes but I do have a problem with people not learning from them.
Zaun was on point with this whole interview. He finally had 20 minutes to tell it like it is, with Blue Jays Central for 30 mins before the game he can't put a lot of thoughts together. From coaching staff helping Sierra with flip shades, Lawrie and his base running, with AA not being a baseball guy and accountability lacking in the organization it was a terrific interview.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:34 PM
ryno23

If this doesn't scream to AA to bring n veteran leadership on the field and some who manages the team

There is no way you allow a player to use themselves to promote say something that he organization doesn't approve of

Farrell should have been all over this and if Yunel is writing stuff on this strips then he should know each time he does so he knows what is going on. If he did then he would have never made it out of the clubhouse.

I think Farrell has given up on the season and is probably figuring out a way to Boston

Yunel has no respec for the team or origanization , whether it's a slur or not he put his image before the team. You don't see Jeter using his face for personal stand or jokes

Be a pro and play like a pro and we know from his ATL days Yunel has problems with that.

Hopefully his hasn't lost his trade value

Old
09-18-2012, 08:37 PM
theaub
34-38-61-10-13-15

Veteran leadership like...Omar Vizquel!

You know, the guy who knows Spanish and has played in the league for 25 years and should probably like "hey bro, how about you don't take the field with a word on your face that could be perceived as a homosexual slur?"

In conclusion, veteran leadership on the field is excessively overrated.

e: Farrell is pretty useless though. If we could get anything for him from Boston I'm good with that.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:48 PM
MsWoof

The Zaun interview/rant was fabulous

However, I still have questions. Why did he write the slur on the strips and who was it directed to? Why didn't someone in the clubhouse tell him to get them off his face? All I hear is that he was a problem with Atlanta and he's a problem in Toronto so I have to wonder if players wanted him to get in trouble so they didn't tell him to remove the strips.

Then again, the umps would have seen it, the coaches and manager also would have seen it so what gives? I think there is more going on behind the scenes. And 3 games is a complete joke.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:21 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
If this doesn't scream to AA to bring n veteran leadership on the field and some who manages the team

There is no way you allow a player to use themselves to promote say something that he organization doesn't approve of

Farrell should have been all over this and if Yunel is writing stuff on this strips then he should know each time he does so he knows what is going on. If he did then he would have never made it out of the clubhouse.

I think Farrell has given up on the season and is probably figuring out a way to Boston

Yunel has no respec for the team or origanization , whether it's a slur or not he put his image before the team. You don't see Jeter using his face for personal stand or jokes

Be a pro and play like a pro and we know from his ATL days Yunel has problems with that.

Hopefully his hasn't lost his trade value
Pretty much every reason why Atlanta traded him has come true here. That is what Zaun basically said. His value has to have lowered because of this.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:09 PM
TootooTrain
Bangers

via @ShiDavidi
Ozzie Guillen on Escobar: In my house we call that word every 20 seconds. Ive got three kids. For us its like `Whats up bro? Whats up dude?'

Ozzie Guillen: It's how you say it and to who you say it. But that's our country. We have to respect this country.

Closed Thread