HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL Live / OKC Barons

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2012, 12:15 PM
  #26
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BlueChip01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,958
vCash: 500
It's as much as the NHL package? That's insane. I would have got it otherwise.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:18 PM
  #27
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
It's as much as the NHL package? That's insane. I would have got it otherwise.
Yup, it's always been pricey. Probably because there are a lot less people ordering it so expenses get spread around a lot smaller group of people.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:13 PM
  #28
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yup, I did the same. I told them that if it'd be billed that I wanted to cancel and they cancelled it, so I assume that was their master plan.
Guys...

What was the support email address for NHL gamecenter?

When I click on the "email us" link on their website, the resultant page does not show up.

I want to cancel mine too [soapbox/] (while throwing in the obligatory "streaming rights should not be blacked out by television broadcast rights... these are different services and different markets") [/soapbox]

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:16 PM
  #29
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yup, it's always been pricey. Probably because there are a lot less people ordering it so expenses get spread around a lot smaller group of people.
I wonder if HockeyStreams can find a way? Might be a good year to put some money their way if they can get AHL and then switch back to NHL once the lockout is over (here's hoping).

Maybe if we don't go back to NHL.com/gamecenter, and instead put our money elsewhere, we might actually convince the NHL to (see above soapbox comment).

Nah... they'd probably just sue the buhjeezus out of Hockeystreams

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:22 PM
  #30
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Guys...

What was the support email address for NHL gamecenter?

When I click on the "email us" link on their website, the resultant page does not show up.

I want to cancel mine too [soapbox/] (while throwing in the obligatory "streaming rights should not be blacked out by television broadcast rights... these are different services and different markets") [/soapbox]
http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/help.htm

I emailed them and they replied promptly (same day), you could call them if you prefer.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:24 PM
  #31
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Thanks for the heads up odh.
I sent them an email this morning and received a prompt reply.
So anyone else in this situation I suggest you send the email or it appears you will be automatically billed.
Email addy?

I couldn't use the click-through link on their website to cancel.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
  #32
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
I expect the attendance in OKC to be much improved this year. Not only by having a top team, but having legitimate NHL stars on the rosters. The people of OKC may not realize it at the moment, but word will spread once these guys hit the ice. I imagine that their AHL heroics will wind up on some mainstream sportscasts and garner some attention to the team and city.

As far as the online stream, I hope the Oilers have anticipated this lockout and planned to splurge on a little better video coverage for the fans. Oiler fans especially like to follow the minor league prospects and investing a little bit in the online streaming could help sell the product at that level.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:37 PM
  #33
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Guys...

What was the support email address for NHL gamecenter?

When I click on the "email us" link on their website, the resultant page does not show up.

I want to cancel mine too [soapbox/] (while throwing in the obligatory "streaming rights should not be blacked out by television broadcast rights... these are different services and different markets") [/soapbox]
If you're getting blacked out, you could try a service like Unblock-US.
http://unblock-us.com/

I have it to route my Netflix through the states. But it has the additional benefit of making your device look like its in the states, which solves some local blackout issues. Also you can get Hulu, and any us website that blocks content to Canada, like how Southpark has all their episodes for free on their website.

Its an extra $5 a month though, so it depends on how much you would use it if it would be worth it for you.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:24 PM
  #34
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
OKC had the fifth-lowest attendance in the entire AHL last year with mid-3000's/game, if RNH and Eberle can't bump that above 5000 then I will be shaking my head.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:18 PM
  #35
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
If you're getting blacked out, you could try a service like Unblock-US.
http://unblock-us.com/

I have it to route my Netflix through the states. But it has the additional benefit of making your device look like its in the states, which solves some local blackout issues. Also you can get Hulu, and any us website that blocks content to Canada, like how Southpark has all their episodes for free on their website.

Its an extra $5 a month though, so it depends on how much you would use it if it would be worth it for you.
I have another program that does the same thing but its free, although you could pay for a better version. Always just used it on sites like Hulu.

If I did this for my netflix I could get the american movies instead of the limited canadian selection?

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:49 PM
  #36
Baronsfan
Registered User
 
Baronsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
OKC had the fifth-lowest attendance in the entire AHL last year with mid-3000's/game, if RNH and Eberle can't bump that above 5000 then I will be shaking my head.
You might as well start stretching and getting your neck limber then. If you think that much more other than the collective unit of 3,700 that attended last yr know who Jordan Eberle, and Nugent Hopkins are, because I doubt they do.

Most of this city is too busy salivating over Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

They are expecting an upward trend this yr after making some changes in the marketing and ticket sales department, they've supposedly been working hard and incorporating some much needed changes, so while I could see them upping the average, it won't be by 2k/game.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:50 PM
  #37
Ranfordrocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
tsn and sportsnet may fight over the games in ahl with empty tv slots they need to fill.enough nhl'rs in ahl.

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:53 AM
  #38
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
I have another program that does the same thing but its free, although you could pay for a better version. Always just used it on sites like Hulu.

If I did this for my netflix I could get the american movies instead of the limited canadian selection?
That's the idea. Its pretty easy, on their website, once you're configured, you can just select from a drop down list of what country's Netflix you want. You can switch back and forth from Canada, US, UK, Ireland, Mexico and Brazil I think. Its pretty slick. And the bandwidth is good. I pay for Shaw Extreme 50 Mb, so I don't want it bottle-necked. That's where the 5 bucks a month comes in. Seeing as how I don't really watch cable anymore, its worth it.

Also if you don't want to pay for Netflix or a VPN service, you could look into setting up Navi-X on your game console or Boxee Box, Apple TV or whatever. That has every movie and TV show ever, for free. But its more unreliable. Sometimes it works awesome, sometimes it doesn't. But its free, so you can't complain.

http://code.google.com/p/navi-x/

Sorry for the off topic-ness of this post.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 12:48 AM
  #39
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
You might as well start stretching and getting your neck limber then. If you think that much more other than the collective unit of 3,700 that attended last yr know who Jordan Eberle, and Nugent Hopkins are, because I doubt they do.

Most of this city is too busy salivating over Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

They are expecting an upward trend this yr after making some changes in the marketing and ticket sales department, they've supposedly been working hard and incorporating some much needed changes, so while I could see them upping the average, it won't be by 2k/game.
Yeah, honestly, I shouldn't really speak because I really know nothing about the market. It's more just that I am unhappy that we won't be able to see these unbelievable talents playing and developing before our eyes. It's just that if we can't see I'm hoping that someone is there to see it and take advantage of a rare opportunity to watch literally world-class players dominate.

I'm a huge basketball fan and I can only imagine that stranglehold the Thunder have on the city right now. It's actually sort of funny, I've always thought/hoped Edmonton could become the OKC Thunder of the NHL - getting our franchise players and core through high draft picks and developing together. I know OKC is one of the smallest markets in the NBA just like Edmonton is in the NHL but loves their basketball regardless. It's just too bad for us that Sam Presti seems to operate on a different wavelength than a guy like Tambellini.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 07:06 AM
  #40
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,631
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
You might as well start stretching and getting your neck limber then. If you think that much more other than the collective unit of 3,700 that attended last yr know who Jordan Eberle, and Nugent Hopkins are, because I doubt they do.

Most of this city is too busy salivating over Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

They are expecting an upward trend this yr after making some changes in the marketing and ticket sales department, they've supposedly been working hard and incorporating some much needed changes, so while I could see them upping the average, it won't be by 2k/game.
That's too bad, considering we probably get close to 2000 people at Millenium place for our development camp.

EDIT:

Gawd..I just did a quick search for Oklahoma newspapers and online news. Koko doesn't even have the Barons listed under the sports section, and a quick look at other sports sections in OKC looked like everything centered around Basketball and College football. Didn't see anything on the Barons anywhere.

I guess if I searched hard enough, I could find something.

Found a tidbit on new ice for the Barons at NewsOK. Maybe the Barons fans should start emailing the news guys telling them to put some stuff up on Ebs, Nuge, Schultz....hell....anything.


Last edited by Dorian2: 09-19-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 08:16 AM
  #41
Baronsfan
Registered User
 
Baronsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
That's too bad, considering we probably get close to 2000 people at Millenium place for our development camp.

EDIT:

Gawd..I just did a quick search for Oklahoma newspapers and online news. Koko doesn't even have the Barons listed under the sports section, and a quick look at other sports sections in OKC looked like everything centered around Basketball and College football. Didn't see anything on the Barons anywhere.

I guess if I searched hard enough, I could find something.

Found a tidbit on new ice for the Barons at NewsOK. Maybe the Barons fans should start emailing the news guys telling them to put some stuff up on Ebs, Nuge, Schultz....hell....anything.
That's one of the major obstacles here. It's unfortunate that the Barons' season overlaps with arguably the most exciting team in the NBA, and one of, if not the most storied football program in the nation. The local newscast are the same way, usually won't even have a clip of the game, or any highlight. Just the occasional "And in AHL hockey the Barons beat the Houston Aeros 3-2 tonight, and we will be back for more after this commercial break."

NewsOk is a joke, and many of us Barons fans don't even bother reading it. They don't even have a writer covered for the Barons, so you're lucky if you get anything out of it.

It's a struggle of being in a non hockey market, but ultimately it's up to the Barons to change the landscape. They will never get the media attention the Thunder/OU Sooners/OSU Cowboys get, but that's not to say that if they don't get more people to games that it won't atleast improve.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 07:52 PM
  #42
sherryb
Registered User
 
sherryb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
ahl live

some info on ahl live, very expensive compared to nhl gamecenter. The feed is SD, and usually taken off the jumbotron. At some arenas you will not get replays, or have a clock visible on screen so you don't know how much time is left, and the audio is a radio feed. My advice would be to buy a couple of games for 6.99 each before buying a season package. Be warned if you think watching an ahl live game is like watching a nhl gamecenter game you will be sorely disappointed. Here is the link to the ahl live website http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/

sherryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 11:24 AM
  #43
oilersrule14
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
That's too bad, considering we probably get close to 2000 people at Millenium place for our development camp.
You're not very good at estimating crowd size There's no way the numbers there were in the 1000's.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 10:12 PM
  #44
5cupstandard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
Will 630 ched be doing radio broadcasts?

5cupstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.