HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: NHL and GJ, Put Up or Shut Up!

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
His strategy is sound. It's what I would do if I were in his shoes. I just think the media should have been calling him out on it months ago. Too bad they wanted to pile on the Bettman hate ( lazy journalism). I'm actually baffled no media member has interviewed a University professor that teaches negotiations to get a prediction on how this plays itself out. I predicted in the summer that NHLPA wouldn't start offering anything of significance until mid November. I think I'm going to be close with my Jan 1 start date.
I'm baffled by how many hockey fans blindly hate on Bettman, if there is anything wrong with the NHL, it's always Bettman's fault. Not certain rich owners pulling on the strings, no it's all Bettman.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:31 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I'm baffled by how many hockey fans blindly hate on Bettman, if there is anything wrong with the NHL, it's always Bettman's fault. Not certain rich owners pulling on the strings, no it's all Bettman.
It's no different than NBA fans hating David Stern, or MLB fans hating Bud Selig.

They're all figureheads for the owners, and it's easier to lob rotten tomatoes at a single target.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:34 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
It's no different than NBA fans hating David Stern, or MLB fans hating Bud Selig.

They're all figureheads for the owners, and it's easier to lob rotten tomatoes at a single target.
Yeah, you probably know who your owner is, and maybe a couple more on other teams. Too many you don't know so your ignorance leads you to yell at the guy who is the owner's mouthpiece.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss...hf boards is one of the most blissful sites around...take your pick....hate for Bettman, Coyotes, Biznasty, Gretzky, or any random jouneymen Dman like Sean O'Donnell.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:06 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Three work stoppages on his watch is all that needs to be said.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:20 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
That and keeping so many teams south and not as many north I'm sure doesn't help either.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:12 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Except.....

He works for the owners.

He took a league worth a couple hundred million and turned it into a $3.3 billion one.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Sigh

Look!!!

I'm not going to get into a fight about this. I don't like the blind hate or blind support for Gary Bettman. He is not perfect but compared to the other 3 commissioners in the Big 4, he is the most effective.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:39 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So I guess the election is tomorrow. Who ever would've thought we'd get to this point?

So hypothetically speaking, what happens if we end up with a much more fiscally conservative lot, that lean more toward the tea bagging side of things? A council of GWI supporters?

Does the current batch try to make a last ditch effort to cram something though? Emergency basis?

What are the scenarios in which this thing could potentially play out in favor of the Coyotes staying?

Old
11-05-2012, 10:20 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

The best results tomorrow, in terms of helping keep the Coyotes, are...

1. "NO" on Prop. 457...right?
2. Reelection of Joyce Clark...right?
3. Frate's replacement needs to be....who?

Which candidate up to replace Steve Frate is most likely to be most helpful to the Coyotes' chances to remain in Glendale?

Old
11-05-2012, 03:09 PM
goyotes

If the council does not approve the arena management deal with GJ before the new council is sworn in, there is no chance of a deal getting done even if Clark is re-elected (which is unlikely).

If the resolution on the tax increase is defeated, I could see the city manager bringing a deal for the council to vote on as early as next Tuesday. If the resolution passes, I have to believe things are basically done for the CoG and the Coyotes, and the NHL will seek to relocate the team at the start of next year. At this point, I give the Coyotes staying a less than 25% chance. I believe the citizens will pass the resolution out of nothing more than share frustration with the council and city staff following the latest news staff (with council's knowledge) misappropriated nearly $6 million from a reserve fund that wasn't supposed to be tapped for anything but liability judgments.

I think the time for this deal to close has passed. The cards just aren't stacking up very favorably for the Coyotes and Glendale at this point.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
If the council does not approve the arena management deal with GJ before the new council is sworn in, there is no chance of a deal getting done even if Clark is re-elected (which is unlikely).

If the resolution on the tax increase is defeated, I could see the city manager bringing a deal for the council to vote on as early as next Tuesday. If the resolution passes, I have to believe things are basically done for the CoG and the Coyotes, and the NHL will seek to relocate the team at the start of next year. At this point, I give the Coyotes staying a less than 25% chance. I believe the citizens will pass the resolution out of nothing more than share frustration with the council and city staff following the latest news staff (with council's knowledge) misappropriated nearly $6 million from a reserve fund that wasn't supposed to be tapped for anything but liability judgments.

I think the time for this deal to close has passed. The cards just aren't stacking up very favorably for the Coyotes and Glendale at this point.
I agree. I think most of this hinges on the tax increase. If that passes, then I think I am back up to 50/50 on the Coyotes. I can't handle any of this 11th hour nonsense anymore. Hockey can work here but all of this secrecy has turned this into a circus. There is nowhere to move them, that may save them for now. Other than that, I just can't care as much as I used to.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:06 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
The cards just aren't stacking up very favorably for the Coyotes and Glendale at this point.
Have they ever? For every resolution to an existing problem, three new crises emerge almost immediately. It's like you're fighting a brush fire, and every time you start to make progress, some dumb**** wants to go make a campfire and roast some weenies, and before you can say "put down the ****ing matches," you're back to square one.

Edit: And as for the election, I feel bad for the residents.* Regardless of what happens to the team, I hope they elect people who are smart enough to make, if not the best, then the least-worst of a bad situation.

Last edited by MP: 11-05-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Post made no sense after naurutger's (sensible and wholly justified) redaction.
Old
11-05-2012, 04:27 PM
AZcoyotes33

Driving home from work at 3 and Roc said that Joyce Clark is going to be joining their show at 4:30 with breaking coyotes news involving Greg Jamison. They said they just got word as they were mentioning it and that they couldnt elaborate. So I will be tuning in online to hear what the breaking news is and ill share once I hear it.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:34 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcoyotes33 View Post
Driving home from work at 3 and Roc said that Joyce Clark is going to be joining their show at 4:30 with breaking coyotes news involving Greg Jamison. They said they just got word as they were mentioning it and that they couldnt elaborate. So I will be tuning in online to hear what the breaking news is and ill share once I hear it.
Is that the boy crying wolf again? Hmmm. Not sure I believe this crap anymore.

Old
11-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Is that the boy crying wolf again? Hmmm. Not sure I believe this crap anymore.
Worth a few minutes to listen on my drive home.

Last edited by Naurutger: 11-05-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Just more Glendale talk and no word from the media calling out Greg Jamison if he really has the money or not.

Old
11-05-2012, 05:15 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Just more Glendale talk and no word from the media calling out Greg Jamison if he really has the money or not.
They already aired it? Not much breaking info

Old
11-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
They already aired it? Not much breaking info
I'm just talking about with the events been talked about today here and not on the radio.

Old
11-05-2012, 05:57 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcoyotes33 View Post
What did ya hear?

Old
11-05-2012, 06:16 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
According to twitter, Jamison to be in town Wed to "wrap up details." We've gone from 2 weeks to 2 days.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
According to twitter, Jamison to be in town Wed to "wrap up details." We've gone from 2 weeks to 2 days.
Clark said his part could be finished but a vote would not happen until the 27th and more signature watch could happen again after that.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:23 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
I'll believe that after the results tomorrow

Old
11-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Another 2 days to say this will be wrapped up in 2 weeks!!!

This is the last one, Really! I'm Serious! MY ASS!!!!!!!!

Back to other stuff.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:27 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Another 2 days to say this will be wrapped up in 2 weeks!!!

This is the last one, Really! I'm Serious! MY ASS!!!!!!!!

Back to other stuff.
Yup! Typical politicians. Trying to get those last minute votes. Gotta love the timing on all this.

Closed Thread