HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Kane's upcoming contract

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2012, 10:23 AM
  #1
mondo3
Registered User
 
mondo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 861
vCash: 571
Kane's upcoming contract

There's been a lot of talk about Enstrom's negotiation, but not as much about Kane. I believe some people think we should sign him for 2 years, similar to Bogosian's deal. However, I think Bogosian was signed to that term as management wasn't sure how he was going to develop (which isn't really the case for Kane who has been improving steadily each year). Should we be signing him with a long term deal to eat up some of his UFA years? What do you think should be the length and $ of his new deal? I could easily see him being offered an UFA contract similar to the Parise deal.

mondo3 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 10:33 AM
  #2
tntkid
Registered User
 
tntkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
Kane needs to be signed for a minimum of 2 years for at least 4 million a season.

He may be a 50 goal scorer with the right line mates.

tntkid is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 10:37 AM
  #3
Aries56
Registered User
 
Aries56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
What's the rule on RFA's and when they become UFA's? When's he turn into a UFA instead of an RFA?

I would say if he signs a shorter contract, make it until his last year as an RFA. That way you don't lose him to the market for nothing.

Aries56 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 10:43 AM
  #4
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries56 View Post
What's the rule on RFA's and when they become UFA's? When's he turn into a UFA instead of an RFA?

I would say if he signs a shorter contract, make it until his last year as an RFA. That way you don't lose him to the market for nothing.
Kane has 4 years remaining as a RFA. After 7 seasons (or age 27) a player can become a UFA. The Jets need to either sign Kane for a 2 year show me what you can do contract (similar to Bogo) or at least 7 years to use up at least 3 years UFA. IMO if it is a 2 year contract expect in the 3.5 - 4 M range. If it is long term it will easily be north of 5 M. per year. I am hoping it is a 2 year contract, as there still appears to be a few too many question marks with Kane to make the long term commitment.

KingBogo is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 11:25 AM
  #5
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
The comparables are there ....Kane was drafted with the 4th over all pick Matt Duchene drafted 3rd over all in the same year and had a better 1st 2 seasons in the Nhl followed by a down year in 2011 just signed a show me contract of 2yrs at 3.5 million per year. John Travares had a much better start (last 3 years than Kane) and was drafted 1st overall. He signed " a" I believe in you contract" @ 6 yr 5.5 mill per year.

I believe in Kane and I think we should sign him to the exact contract Tavaras signed. If he keeps progressing and wants out at 25 yrs of age at the end of his RFA time we can make a inside deal with him now that after 3 years we will trade him...... with 3 yrs remaining on his contract we will still be able to gain an excellent return 4 him at that time.

Evander Kane = 6 Years @ 5.5 cap hit

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 01:18 PM
  #6
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,739
vCash: 500
He should get 2 years at 5 million per and then when he gets 40 goals we can pay him a lot more. He had 30 goals last season and he played the first 12 games of the year with really crappy linemates. He also didn't get a lot of PP time compared to the top line. I think that if him and Burmi play together and play big minutes they will have monster seasons. Put them with Olli and let them giver!

puck stoppa is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 02:32 PM
  #7
Skidooboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Been wondering when this thread would pop up.

I worry Kane want out to the big city rockstar lifestyle he was rummored to live in ATL.

I think in thier rush to develop a fan base they put kane in the NHL to early and he never had to ride a bus or lug a bag.

I don't know if he will want to commit to Winnipeg. If we can sign him and he is indeed happy(sound bites aren't always accurate) here I should think we lock him up for 5-7 years at around 5.25 mill/yr.

If he wants out, then let him take an offer and get the picks, don't tie up cash for a 2 yr deal with a possibly discontented player. It would be poison in the room.

Skidooboy is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
  #8
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 50
I hate long term contracts. Unless you are signing Crosby (pre concussion) or Lidstrom I just think they are too risky and they sometimes lead to complacency by the player.

Kane is very promising and he may well score 50 if he can work on some of the aspects of this game. However, to be sure he does, and to protect the Jets from risk I think the sensible thing is to give him a 2 year deal, something like what Jokinen got.

__________________
The farts have just started and thankfully the boyfriend has already headed home. -LadyJet
Jet is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 02:52 PM
  #9
Tintin's Ghost
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,118
vCash: 500
We really need to re-sign Kane and do what it takes to keep him here long-term. Attitude or not, he is an all-world talent. 21 years old and 30 goal scorer and bigger forwards like him take a longer time to develop all the nuances to their game. I don't think TNSE can afford to not re-sign him. I would not mind to see the Jets offer long-term "I believe in you" type of contract with slight overpay but that's just my 2 pennies. I could understand if Chevy lets him walk if he gets offer-sheeted by a non-contender team for enough to bring us back consecutive first round picks (a la Burke offer-sheeting Kessel) but you can't plan for that to happen.

Tintin's Ghost is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 03:34 PM
  #10
Crazed Fan
Registered User
 
Crazed Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
4.5 for Jokinen = how much $$ for Kane?
im gonna guess 4 years at 4 million per.

Crazed Fan is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
  #11
hockeylife9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
I say we give him 5 years at 25m, starting at 4 or 4.5 and work his way up.

hockeylife9 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 05:46 PM
  #12
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17
Registered User
 
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
HE DOES not have arbitration rights this year 4+ million on a two way deal is too much............. 3.5 on a two year and he signs long term like Tavaras then an average of 5.5mill over 6 yrs.......
You cannot give him 4 + or 5+ mill on a 2 year contract, as there has to be an incentive to sign long term......The incetive is 1) more $ but giving up 2 UFA years 2) long term protects him against a carear ending injury Monetary wise...

signing his first contract after his ELC... all the power is with the Team ... if he wants to sign for big bucks he is going to have to give up term.......

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 06:03 PM
  #13
SCP Guy
Registered User
 
SCP Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Peg
Country: Portugal
Posts: 1,902
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
HE DOES not have arbitration rights this year 4+ million on a two way deal is too much............. 3.5 on a two year and he signs long term like Tavaras then an average of 5.5mill over 6 yrs.......
You cannot give him 4 + or 5+ mill on a 2 year contract, as there has to be an incentive to sign long term......The incetive is 1) more $ but giving up 2 UFA years 2) long term protects him against a carear ending injury Monetary wise...

signing his first contract after his ELC... all the power is with the Team ... if he wants to sign for big bucks he is going to have to give up term.......

Agree......

He gets moderate money unless he is signing away UFA years....thats the way we gotta work it!!

If Evander's camp wants big bucks we want his prime time years not an early twenty year old who looks like he is going to be the real deal!

SCP Guy is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 06:11 PM
  #14
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Fan View Post
4.5 for Jokinen = how much $$ for Kane?
im gonna guess 4 years at 4 million per.
A 4 year contract is the worse possible term. You have just given up all control as you set Kane loose the first year he is eligible for UFA. I would do one of these

KingBogo is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 06:24 PM
  #15
TroubaFan1
Registered User
 
TroubaFan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
3 years 11 million

TroubaFan1 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 06:29 PM
  #16
thed00d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
I'd use Matt Duchene as a benchmark at $3.5M, but I think Kane will get more being a 30 goal scorer at such a young age. My guess is that he likely will see $13M/3 years.

thed00d is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 07:47 PM
  #17
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG
 
SwimToTheMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
I see Kane easily making over 5 mil per season. Just look at the prices GM's have been paying this off season.

Very interested to see what Semin gets on the market.

SwimToTheMoon is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 07:55 PM
  #18
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
I see Kane easily making over 5 mil per season. Just look at the prices GM's have been paying this off season.

Very interested to see what Semin gets on the market.
What UFA's get is completely irrelevant for Kane. Looking at what Jokinen got makes no sense (which I see some people have done above). Kane should sign for 2 years at 7-7.5 million. No more. Leaves 2 years RFA status, gives Kane arbitration rights that he will likely want and the right price for him. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Personnally I hope Chevy is tossing his name around in trade talks. If we can get a solid return for him (maybe something like B. Schenn + Simmonds + high draft pick/top prospect or something) I would take it. If the deals are not that good, fine I got no problem keeping a legitmate top 6 winger with grit at only 20 years old. But that's just me, I'd be completely open to trading Kane, I don't think he has the upside that many people do.

__________________



Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 07-08-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Holden Caulfield is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 09:05 PM
  #19
ps241
Drunken rant!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,396
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
What UFA's get is completely irrelevant for Kane. Looking at what Jokinen got makes no sense (which I see some people have done above). Kane should sign for 2 years at 7-7.5 million. No more. Leaves 2 years RFA status, gives Kane arbitration rights that he will likely want and the right price for him. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Personnally I hope Chevy is tossing his name around in trade talks. If we can get a solid return for him (maybe something like B. Schenn + Simmonds + high draft pick/top prospect or something) I would take it. If the deals are not that good, fine I got no problem keeping a legitmate top 6 winger with grit at only 20 years old. But that's just me, I'd be completely open to trading Kane, I don't think he has the upside that many people do.
Yup this is spot on with where I line up. 2 year deal to keep the costs down and keep 2 years of RFA status unused. if Evander grows on and off the ice and the future looks bright 2 years from now then he will cash in big time on his next contract.

I would also like to float him around to see what we might fetch as well. I would have no problem keeping Evander for 2 more seasons to see how it plays out but the deal you referenced B Schenn + Simmonds + draft pick would be hard to turn away from.

ps241 is online now  
Old
07-08-2012, 11:36 PM
  #20
KingJet*
Welcome Back
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
I hope we trade him and get alot out of it

KingJet* is offline  
Old
07-09-2012, 01:02 AM
  #21
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,107
vCash: 769
I personally would like to see him signed to a long term deal ASAP. I'd over pay to have him locked up for 6 years. I think in reality he'll get 7.5mm over 2 years. I'm a Kane fan and supporter, but even I have my doubts about whether he wants to be here long term. Granted, I'm basing that off pure gut feel.

wpgsilver is offline  
Old
07-09-2012, 01:12 AM
  #22
Scheifele55
Registered User
 
Scheifele55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
There's been a lot of talk about Enstrom's negotiation, but not as much about Kane. I believe some people think we should sign him for 2 years, similar to Bogosian's deal. However, I think Bogosian was signed to that term as management wasn't sure how he was going to develop (which isn't really the case for Kane who has been improving steadily each year). Should we be signing him with a long term deal to eat up some of his UFA years? What do you think should be the length and $ of his new deal? I could easily see him being offered an UFA contract similar to the Parise deal.
If Winnipeg can't resign him to a long term deal they need to consider trading him. Him signing a long-term deal or atleast willingness to discuss one shows loyalty to the organization. If he just wants to sign until UFA then we should move him for prospects and restock the cupboard. Winnipeg has to have one of the worst farm systems in the NHL prospect wise and moving Kovalchuk for very little along with poor drafting in the past hurt us immensely

Scheifele55 is offline  
Old
07-09-2012, 01:47 AM
  #23
PostmanPat1919
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
HE DOES not have arbitration rights this year 4+ million on a two way deal is too much............. 3.5 on a two year and he signs long term like Tavaras then an average of 5.5mill over 6 yrs.......
You cannot give him 4 + or 5+ mill on a 2 year contract, as there has to be an incentive to sign long term......The incetive is 1) more $ but giving up 2 UFA years 2) long term protects him against a carear ending injury Monetary wise...

signing his first contract after his ELC... all the power is with the Team ... if he wants to sign for big bucks he is going to have to give up term.......
I think this is on the money regarding Kane. The Jets will want to put Kane on something like a two year deal to renegotiate safely with two RFA years left, or go for a big long term deal (6+) that begins eating significantly into his UFA years.

PostmanPat1919 is offline  
Old
07-09-2012, 05:56 AM
  #24
Tdoe42
Registered User
 
Tdoe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
We wait till the New CBA... All these factors could change in 2 months

Tdoe42 is offline  
Old
07-09-2012, 07:57 AM
  #25
Crazed Fan
Registered User
 
Crazed Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
A 4 year contract is the worse possible term. You have just given up all control as you set Kane loose the first year he is eligible for UFA. I would do one of these
Good thing im not GM. I wouldnt know how to live with myself if i did that.

The years i wasnt too sure of, was more interested in trying to figure out the price. Kane should be the top paid forward on the team, but because he is RFA i am not too sure how this translates.

I paid zero attention to most of the ins and outs of contract talk for the past 15 years, still learning.

Crazed Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.