Notices

Kane's upcoming contract

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 10:23 AM
mondo3

vCash: 571
Kane's upcoming contract

There's been a lot of talk about Enstrom's negotiation, but not as much about Kane. I believe some people think we should sign him for 2 years, similar to Bogosian's deal. However, I think Bogosian was signed to that term as management wasn't sure how he was going to develop (which isn't really the case for Kane who has been improving steadily each year). Should we be signing him with a long term deal to eat up some of his UFA years? What do you think should be the length and $ of his new deal? I could easily see him being offered an UFA contract similar to the Parise deal.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:33 AM
tntkid

vCash: 500
Kane needs to be signed for a minimum of 2 years for at least 4 million a season.

He may be a 50 goal scorer with the right line mates.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Aries56

What's the rule on RFA's and when they become UFA's? When's he turn into a UFA instead of an RFA?

I would say if he signs a shorter contract, make it until his last year as an RFA. That way you don't lose him to the market for nothing.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:43 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries56 View Post
What's the rule on RFA's and when they become UFA's? When's he turn into a UFA instead of an RFA?

I would say if he signs a shorter contract, make it until his last year as an RFA. That way you don't lose him to the market for nothing.
Kane has 4 years remaining as a RFA. After 7 seasons (or age 27) a player can become a UFA. The Jets need to either sign Kane for a 2 year show me what you can do contract (similar to Bogo) or at least 7 years to use up at least 3 years UFA. IMO if it is a 2 year contract expect in the 3.5 - 4 M range. If it is long term it will easily be north of 5 M. per year. I am hoping it is a 2 year contract, as there still appears to be a few too many question marks with Kane to make the long term commitment.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:25 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

The comparables are there ....Kane was drafted with the 4th over all pick Matt Duchene drafted 3rd over all in the same year and had a better 1st 2 seasons in the Nhl followed by a down year in 2011 just signed a show me contract of 2yrs at 3.5 million per year. John Travares had a much better start (last 3 years than Kane) and was drafted 1st overall. He signed " a" I believe in you contract" @ 6 yr 5.5 mill per year.

I believe in Kane and I think we should sign him to the exact contract Tavaras signed. If he keeps progressing and wants out at 25 yrs of age at the end of his RFA time we can make a inside deal with him now that after 3 years we will trade him...... with 3 yrs remaining on his contract we will still be able to gain an excellent return 4 him at that time.

Evander Kane = 6 Years @ 5.5 cap hit

Old
07-08-2012, 01:18 PM
puck stoppa

He should get 2 years at 5 million per and then when he gets 40 goals we can pay him a lot more. He had 30 goals last season and he played the first 12 games of the year with really crappy linemates. He also didn't get a lot of PP time compared to the top line. I think that if him and Burmi play together and play big minutes they will have monster seasons. Put them with Olli and let them giver!

Old
07-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Skidooboy

Been wondering when this thread would pop up.

I worry Kane want out to the big city rockstar lifestyle he was rummored to live in ATL.

I think in thier rush to develop a fan base they put kane in the NHL to early and he never had to ride a bus or lug a bag.

I don't know if he will want to commit to Winnipeg. If we can sign him and he is indeed happy(sound bites aren't always accurate) here I should think we lock him up for 5-7 years at around 5.25 mill/yr.

If he wants out, then let him take an offer and get the picks, don't tie up cash for a 2 yr deal with a possibly discontented player. It would be poison in the room.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
I hate long term contracts. Unless you are signing Crosby (pre concussion) or Lidstrom I just think they are too risky and they sometimes lead to complacency by the player.

Kane is very promising and he may well score 50 if he can work on some of the aspects of this game. However, to be sure he does, and to protect the Jets from risk I think the sensible thing is to give him a 2 year deal, something like what Jokinen got.

07-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Tintin's Ghost

We really need to re-sign Kane and do what it takes to keep him here long-term. Attitude or not, he is an all-world talent. 21 years old and 30 goal scorer and bigger forwards like him take a longer time to develop all the nuances to their game. I don't think TNSE can afford to not re-sign him. I would not mind to see the Jets offer long-term "I believe in you" type of contract with slight overpay but that's just my 2 pennies. I could understand if Chevy lets him walk if he gets offer-sheeted by a non-contender team for enough to bring us back consecutive first round picks (a la Burke offer-sheeting Kessel) but you can't plan for that to happen.

Old
07-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Crazed Fan

4.5 for Jokinen = how much $$ for Kane?
im gonna guess 4 years at 4 million per.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
hockeylife9

I say we give him 5 years at 25m, starting at 4 or 4.5 and work his way up.

Old
07-08-2012, 05:46 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

HE DOES not have arbitration rights this year 4+ million on a two way deal is too much............. 3.5 on a two year and he signs long term like Tavaras then an average of 5.5mill over 6 yrs.......
You cannot give him 4 + or 5+ mill on a 2 year contract, as there has to be an incentive to sign long term......The incetive is 1) more $ but giving up 2 UFA years 2) long term protects him against a carear ending injury Monetary wise...

signing his first contract after his ELC... all the power is with the Team ... if he wants to sign for big bucks he is going to have to give up term.......

Old
07-08-2012, 06:03 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
HE DOES not have arbitration rights this year 4+ million on a two way deal is too much............. 3.5 on a two year and he signs long term like Tavaras then an average of 5.5mill over 6 yrs.......
You cannot give him 4 + or 5+ mill on a 2 year contract, as there has to be an incentive to sign long term......The incetive is 1) more $ but giving up 2 UFA years 2) long term protects him against a carear ending injury Monetary wise...

signing his first contract after his ELC... all the power is with the Team ... if he wants to sign for big bucks he is going to have to give up term.......

Agree......

He gets moderate money unless he is signing away UFA years....thats the way we gotta work it!!

If Evander's camp wants big bucks we want his prime time years not an early twenty year old who looks like he is going to be the real deal!

Old
07-08-2012, 06:11 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed Fan View Post
4.5 for Jokinen = how much $$ for Kane?
im gonna guess 4 years at 4 million per.
A 4 year contract is the worse possible term. You have just given up all control as you set Kane loose the first year he is eligible for UFA. I would do one of these

Old
07-08-2012, 06:24 PM
TroubaFan1

3 years 11 million

Old
07-08-2012, 06:29 PM
thed00d

I'd use Matt Duchene as a benchmark at $3.5M, but I think Kane will get more being a 30 goal scorer at such a young age. My guess is that he likely will see $13M/3 years.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:47 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

I see Kane easily making over 5 mil per season. Just look at the prices GM's have been paying this off season.

Very interested to see what Semin gets on the market.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimToTheMoon View Post
I see Kane easily making over 5 mil per season. Just look at the prices GM's have been paying this off season.

Very interested to see what Semin gets on the market.
What UFA's get is completely irrelevant for Kane. Looking at what Jokinen got makes no sense (which I see some people have done above). Kane should sign for 2 years at 7-7.5 million. No more. Leaves 2 years RFA status, gives Kane arbitration rights that he will likely want and the right price for him. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Personnally I hope Chevy is tossing his name around in trade talks. If we can get a solid return for him (maybe something like B. Schenn + Simmonds + high draft pick/top prospect or something) I would take it. If the deals are not that good, fine I got no problem keeping a legitmate top 6 winger with grit at only 20 years old. But that's just me, I'd be completely open to trading Kane, I don't think he has the upside that many people do.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 07-08-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old
07-08-2012, 09:05 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
What UFA's get is completely irrelevant for Kane. Looking at what Jokinen got makes no sense (which I see some people have done above). Kane should sign for 2 years at 7-7.5 million. No more. Leaves 2 years RFA status, gives Kane arbitration rights that he will likely want and the right price for him. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Personnally I hope Chevy is tossing his name around in trade talks. If we can get a solid return for him (maybe something like B. Schenn + Simmonds + high draft pick/top prospect or something) I would take it. If the deals are not that good, fine I got no problem keeping a legitmate top 6 winger with grit at only 20 years old. But that's just me, I'd be completely open to trading Kane, I don't think he has the upside that many people do.
Yup this is spot on with where I line up. 2 year deal to keep the costs down and keep 2 years of RFA status unused. if Evander grows on and off the ice and the future looks bright 2 years from now then he will cash in big time on his next contract.

I would also like to float him around to see what we might fetch as well. I would have no problem keeping Evander for 2 more seasons to see how it plays out but the deal you referenced B Schenn + Simmonds + draft pick would be hard to turn away from.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:36 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I hope we trade him and get alot out of it

Old
07-09-2012, 01:02 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 769
I personally would like to see him signed to a long term deal ASAP. I'd over pay to have him locked up for 6 years. I think in reality he'll get 7.5mm over 2 years. I'm a Kane fan and supporter, but even I have my doubts about whether he wants to be here long term. Granted, I'm basing that off pure gut feel.

Old
07-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Scheifele55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
There's been a lot of talk about Enstrom's negotiation, but not as much about Kane. I believe some people think we should sign him for 2 years, similar to Bogosian's deal. However, I think Bogosian was signed to that term as management wasn't sure how he was going to develop (which isn't really the case for Kane who has been improving steadily each year). Should we be signing him with a long term deal to eat up some of his UFA years? What do you think should be the length and $ of his new deal? I could easily see him being offered an UFA contract similar to the Parise deal.
If Winnipeg can't resign him to a long term deal they need to consider trading him. Him signing a long-term deal or atleast willingness to discuss one shows loyalty to the organization. If he just wants to sign until UFA then we should move him for prospects and restock the cupboard. Winnipeg has to have one of the worst farm systems in the NHL prospect wise and moving Kovalchuk for very little along with poor drafting in the past hurt us immensely

Old
07-09-2012, 01:47 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post

I think this is on the money regarding Kane. The Jets will want to put Kane on something like a two year deal to renegotiate safely with two RFA years left, or go for a big long term deal (6+) that begins eating significantly into his UFA years.

Old
07-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Tdoe42

We wait till the New CBA... All these factors could change in 2 months

Old
07-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Crazed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
A 4 year contract is the worse possible term. You have just given up all control as you set Kane loose the first year he is eligible for UFA. I would do one of these
Good thing im not GM. I wouldnt know how to live with myself if i did that.

The years i wasnt too sure of, was more interested in trying to figure out the price. Kane should be the top paid forward on the team, but because he is RFA i am not too sure how this translates.

I paid zero attention to most of the ins and outs of contract talk for the past 15 years, still learning.

Closed Thread