HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

vCash: 500
Marcantuoni doesn't have to destroy the OHL right away or anything, but it'd be nice if he could get a point sometime this year. If only to help justify his premature #15 ranking on our most recent prospect list.

Also, just boxscore watching...we could've had Grigorenko with our first pick, eh?

Old
10-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Rust looked pretty good. Fast, physical, protected the puck well, had 3 great scoring chances that just missed each time, and had a primary assist as he made a wrap around and Tyann popped in a rebound.

Him and his line look really good all night and brought a lot of energy, hits and scoring chances. Hopefully they keep it up all season.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

Bryan Rust got an assist on the only goal of the game. wrapped around the net and Tynan knocked it in on the rebound. and also i think he had a big blocked shot on the PK.

ND really dominated.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Hanowski had a goal and assist in a 3-5 loss against UNH.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:47 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Marcantuoni doesn't have to destroy the OHL right away or anything, but it'd be nice if he could get a point sometime this year. If only to help justify his premature #15 ranking on our most recent prospect list.

Also, just boxscore watching...we could've had Grigorenko with our first pick, eh?
But dude... if everything goes completely right with Pouliot's development, then one day we may actually have a possibility to trade him for a winger!

Of course we have no idea who this winger will be or if the one we want will be on a team that needs a defenseman like Pouliot. But still we MAY someday at least have that chance.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
But dude... if everything goes completely right with Pouliot's development, then one day we may actually have a possibility to trade him for a winger!

Of course we have no idea who this winger will be or if the one we want will be on a team that needs a defenseman like Pouliot. But still we MAY someday at least have that chance.
I know one team that could use a defensemen with Pouliot's skillset - the Pens

Old
10-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:

I stand by the BPA theory. But you'd better be sure when you're picking off the board and there's consensus top 5 talent still available. Especially since the Pens gave up such a huge piece to get the #8 overall, and don't project to have many opportunities to select early in the 1st round.

The jury's still out, obviously, but I think the reputation of the Pens' scouting staff will take a huge hit if either Pouliot falters, or either Grigorenko or Forsberg go supernova.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Jacob

Forsberg won't make us regret taking Pouliot.

Grigorenko might, but its important to remember that the reason the Pens and many other teams passed on him wasn't because of a lack of talent or upside- it was because of questions about his attitude and work ethic. If you wanna discuss whether the Pens put too much stock in that sort of thing on draft day, or whether Grigorenko's criticisms are even based in reality, that's kind of a separate discussion. Just something to remember 3, 5 years from now when we're looking at the '12 draft in hindsight.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:37 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:

Old
10-13-2012, 12:11 AM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
Teddy got 2 SOG's but went pointless tonight in MSU's 4-1 over Alabama Huntsville in what was UAH's biggest crowd ever.

Old
10-13-2012, 02:23 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
Teddy got 2 SOG's but went pointless tonight in MSU's 4-1 over Alabama Huntsville in what was UAH's biggest crowd ever.
How was teddy looking overall?

Old
10-13-2012, 03:29 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Pouliot had 1g and 1a yesterday night. A total of 8pts in 10 gms (4g and& 4a).

No clue how his overall game was since I didn't watch the game.

Old
10-13-2012, 05:10 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Hanowski had a goal and assist in a 3-5 loss against UNH.
His goal was SH and his assist was on the PP.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:55 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post

Grigorenko might, but its important to remember that the reason the Pens and many other teams passed on him wasn't because of a lack of talent or upside- it was because of questions about his attitude and work ethic. If you wanna discuss whether the Pens put too much stock in that sort of thing on draft day, or whether Grigorenko's criticisms are even based in reality, that's kind of a separate discussion. Just something to remember 3, 5 years from now when we're looking at the '12 draft in hindsight.
I'd be perfectly happy eating crow if Pouliot turns out to be a great player for us. I'm just skeptical of that happening. Especially with our yearly struggle to find highly skilled cheap wingers to play with the two best players in the world.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Burgs

Just saw something funny: Daultan Leveille, the center the Thrashers drafted with our 1st round pick from the Hossa Dupuis trade, has been reassigned to Wheeling. Winnipeg rather took the 59th overall as compensation, and Montreal's AHL team Hamilton signed him as a free agent.

Last edited by Burgs: 10-13-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old
10-13-2012, 08:13 AM
wej20

Dupuis is worth more than the whole package we gave up combined.

Old
10-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Dupuis is worth more than the whole package we gave up combined.
Psh, Christensen is a goal scoring machine in the KHL so far.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post

Well, I don't know. If the Pens are putting so much stock in interviews/personality/familiarity that they're overlooking better players, then their BPA philosophy needs some serious retooling.

Character should always be a consideration, but we need to bear in mind that the all-time saviour of the franchise refused to put on our jersey when drafted, and had a pretty poor work ethic for his first few years.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
I'd be perfectly happy eating crow if Pouliot turns out to be a great player for us. I'm just skeptical of that happening. Especially with our yearly struggle to find highly skilled cheap wingers to play with the two best players in the world.
Letang, Morrow is more than enough when they're backed up with so much talent that they really didn't need to pick, Pouliot, and they were in the position to gamble on a forward with already gaining Domoulin in the trade. They also gained a center in, Sutter.

Grigorenko would have been nice, but the position is filled, leaving, Forsberg as my likely choice. Heck, maybe they trade Pouliot for someone and Forsberg.

He could be damaged goods soon enough with how the Caps are progressing.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Well, I don't know. If the Pens are putting so much stock in interviews/personality/familiarity that they're overlooking better players, then their BPA philosophy needs some serious retooling.

Character should always be a consideration, but we need to bear in mind that the all-time saviour of the franchise refused to put on our jersey when drafted, and had a pretty poor work ethic for his first few years.
I agree.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Letang, Morrow is more than enough when they're backed up with so much talent that they really didn't need to pick, Pouliot, and they were in the position to gamble on a forward with already gaining Domoulin in the trade. They also gained a center in, Sutter.

Grigorenko would have been nice, but the position is filled, leaving, Forsberg as my likely choice. Heck, maybe they trade Pouliot for someone and Forsberg.

He could be damaged goods soon enough with how the Caps are progressing.
I completely agree. We were in a perfect position to go for a guy many people had in the top 3, but instead went for a guy many people had outside the top 15. Then we had another first that could have been used on a dman in a draft deep with them. that pick has really been the only move by Shero that I've been critical of so far though

Old
10-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

If only they had found a way to leverage all of their blueline talent in the past into top six wingers.. Oh wait...

This franchise has not shown the ability to develop top six fwds in the last uh... 15 years?

They are good at developing blueline talent and now they have the deepest crop in the league. So let other teams develop the wingers, while you farm the most coveted assets around.

I'm willing to bet Shero finds a way to use these riches to better his team over the coming years.

Just a hunch I have.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:41 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
If only they had found a way to leverage all of their blueline talent in the past into top six wingers.. Oh wait...

This franchise has not shown the ability to develop top six fwds in the last uh... 15 years?

They are good at developing blueline talent and now they have the deepest crop in the league. So let other teams develop the wingers, while you farm the most coveted assets around.

I'm willing to bet Shero finds a way to use these riches to better his team over the coming years.

Just a hunch I have.
Did I ever say that it wouldn't happen? No. I said that if everything goes right then all you have is a chance to do it though which is 100% accurate. Nothing is a given when trading players. I'd rather have the forward depth in our system than go out searching for somebody, and the players that are available might not be exactly what we want. That's the nature of trading.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Did I ever say that it wouldn't happen? No. I said that if everything goes right then all you have is a chance to do it though which is 100% accurate. Nothing is a given when trading players. I'd rather have the forward depth in our system than go out searching for somebody, and the players that are available might not be exactly what we want. That's the nature of trading.
Trading allows you to land a guy you want and a majority of the time, you know what you are getting. Drafting is all about luck and development.

I'll take my chances on finding "the right guy" after he is developed and proven, than drafting a guy and hoping the Pens brass will finally learn after 15 years how to develop wingers.

Not to mention Shero is now farming a stable full of the most highly coveted players by GMs around the league.

I'm willing to bet Shero uses some of his blueline prospects to land a legit NHL winger, long before a guy like BB is ready to make a meaningful contribution to this team.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:11 PM

Nailers open up tonight in Cincinnati. Killeen in goal, Uher and Kuhnhackl both in the lineup.

McNeill is scratched (apparently got dinged up in practice this week)

Closed Thread