HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Burgs

vCash: 500
Anton Zlobin on hat trick watch right now as the Foreurs are up 6-1 on the Sea Dogs with 15 mins left. His teammate Anthony Mantha already scored a natural hat trick with 3 consecutive goals over a 2:54 span.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:01 PM
EatonBabies
Bylsma Blows!

Rust and Archibald are playing against each other right now of NBCS.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:02 PM

Sounds like Patrick Killeen came to play tonight. Didn't see it but listening on the radio and he made a ridiculous save on a 2 on 0 on the rebound.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Anton Zlobin on hat trick watch right now as the Foreurs are up 6-1 on the Sea Dogs with 15 mins left. His teammate Anthony Mantha already scored a natural hat trick with 3 consecutive goals over a 2:54 span.
I can't believe St. John's isn't like 2-9. Seems like every game I see a score with them they're getting blown out. I think Halifax beat them 11-1 recently and outshot them 50-10 in the game.

7-1 now, though no Zlobin goal.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Sivek

Just turned the Notre Dame/UNO game on and immediately see Notre Dame score. Rust was on the ice during the goal though I don't think he got a point. A bit after that, hopeful Pens prospect Andrej Sustr blasted a shot to cut the lead to 3-2.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:07 PM
EatonBabies
Bylsma Blows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Just turned the Notre Dame/UNO game and immediately see Notre Dame score. Rust was on the ice during the goal though I don't think he got a point. A bit after that, hopeful Pens prospect Andrej Sustr blasted a shot to cut the lead to 3-2.
Yeah I'm not sure if Rust got a point. But he made a nice defensive play picking up an open guy in front of the net right before he got the puck. Then got the puck out of the zone right before they goal.

After watching these games, I'd probably take Rust over Archibald.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:13 PM
wej20

Teddy Blue has picked up an assist in his First Regular Season game, still some time in the 2nd period left.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:17 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Just turned the Notre Dame/UNO game on and immediately see Notre Dame score. Rust was on the ice during the goal though I don't think he got a point. A bit after that, hopeful Pens prospect Andrej Sustr blasted a shot to cut the lead to 3-2.
That was a nice one, I tuned in about 5 minutes before he crushed that.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Sivek

Pouliot with 2 assists so far in the 1st period.

Murray stopped 31 of 33 in a 3-2 OT victory.

Old
10-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
Nailers open up tonight in Cincinnati. Killeen in goal, Uher and Kuhnhackl both in the lineup.

McNeill is scratched (apparently got dinged up in practice this week)
Oh God.

He's gonna light the ECHL on fire. It's crazy that both he and Uher are down there. I understand WBS is stacked, but still insane.

Old
10-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Wheeling lost 3-2 in a shootout tonight.

Kuhnhackl was a +1 with 3 shots.

Uher was even also with 3 shots and was stopped in the shootout.

Killeen stopped 28 of 30.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:18 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 774
MSU ties AL-Huntsville 2-2, Teddy picked up an assist.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:34 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Well, I don't know. If the Pens are putting so much stock in interviews/personality/familiarity that they're overlooking better players, then their BPA philosophy needs some serious retooling.

Character should always be a consideration, but we need to bear in mind that the all-time saviour of the franchise refused to put on our jersey when drafted, and had a pretty poor work ethic for his first few years.
That's a very delicate song and dance though when talking about taking guys with issues. With Grigorenko, I don't think of the best case scenario...I think of the worst, and with guys like him, we've seen the worst. Zherdev immediately comes to mind. Probably a top 10 skill set in this league, but a 10 cent head, no work ethic, and questionable character. Semin also comes to mind, as does Filatov, Radulov, Kabanov.

Now you can completely question the philosophy, and I don't necessarily disagree that outside of some very major concerns that we shouldn't have taken Grigorenko (as I would have much rather had him over Forsberg). Kids grow up and mature...things change. You hope that with the kid under the organizations thumb that he'd develop properly. A skill like him is definitely needs.

As for a guy like Forsberg...his lack of statistics in the SEL was a concern for me. And I wanted Dumba...so my hopes were smashed a pick early.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
That's a very delicate song and dance though when talking about taking guys with issues. With Grigorenko, I don't think of the best case scenario...I think of the worst, and with guys like him, we've seen the worst. Zherdev immediately comes to mind. Probably a top 10 skill set in this league, but a 10 cent head, no work ethic, and questionable character. Semin also comes to mind, as does Filatov, Radulov, Kabanov.

Now you can completely question the philosophy, and I don't necessarily disagree that outside of some very major concerns that we shouldn't have taken Grigorenko (as I would have much rather had him over Forsberg). Kids grow up and mature...things change. You hope that with the kid under the organizations thumb that he'd develop properly. A skill like him is definitely needs.

As for a guy like Forsberg...his lack of statistics in the SEL was a concern for me. And I wanted Dumba...so my hopes were smashed a pick early.
The book on Filatov was that he was a sure thing...as far as his demeanor went, anyway. He had a great attitude and interviewed very well. Turned out to be wrong, but that was the general feeling when he was drafted.

I don't want the Pens to ignore character by any means. But you can miss out on a lot of high-end players and end up with a mediocre team filled with boy scouts if you make an 18 year old's attitude/work ethic your #1 concern.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:09 AM
JTG

Quote:
The book on Filatov was that he was a sure thing...as far as his demeanor went, anyway. He had a great attitude and interviewed very well. Turned out to be wrong, but that was the general feeling when he was drafted.

I don't want the Pens to ignore character by any means. But you can miss out on a lot of high-end players and end up with a mediocre team filled with boy scouts if you make an 18 year old's attitude/work ethic your #1 concern.
Depends what view point you have. I'm of the opinion that an attitude can be masked but not changed...especially when it comes to work ethic. I think that's an inherent characteristic. You either have a workman's mentality, or you don't.

I'm by no means a draft guru, but from the research I did...I wouldn't have probably felt comfortable taking Grigorenko with that pick we used on Pouliot (then again, I'm not real comfortable with Pouliot there either). Now if Grigorenko was taken with our 1st rounder, I would have been doing back flips and singing Shero's praises in the street.

I still sort of think with that pick from Carolina, it was a better move to trade back and flood the cupboard a little more with some top 60 talent. Shero didn't have that luxury though. He had 120 seconds to make a deal...an impossible feat.

I wouldn't have complained if we took Grigorenko, but I'm not real heart broken either as I can really see him going either way.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Depends what view point you have. I'm of the opinion that an attitude can be masked but not changed...especially when it comes to work ethic. I think that's an inherent characteristic. You either have a workman's mentality, or you don't.
I guess that's where we differ. What's your take on Mario's progression and development? I think that's a prime example of what we're talking about.

Quote:
I wouldn't have complained if we took Grigorenko, but I'm not real heart broken either as I can really see him going either way.
I defer to the Pens' staff and the BPA philosophy, and I actually like Pouliot, but they'd better be damn sure about their choice if they're bypassing top 5 talents to go off the board with a #8 pick.

I just don't want to be treading water with our high picks when we could be acquiring a gamebreaker (especially since we're not likely to see any more top 10 picks for awhile). Last year we saw the kind of impact a recent #8 pick can have on the fortunes of a playoff team...if they put a premium on skill.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
I defer to the Pens' staff and the BPA philosophy, and I actually like Pouliot, but they'd better be damn sure about their choice if they're bypassing top 5 talents to go off the board with a #8 pick
Two words for me - Devon and Setoguchi - come to mind when seeing that statement. We'll see how things develop moving forward.

Old
10-14-2012, 01:02 PM
JTG

Quote:
I guess that's where we differ. What's your take on Mario's progression and development? I think that's a prime example of what we're talking about.

I defer to the Pens' staff and the BPA philosophy, and I actually like Pouliot, but they'd better be damn sure about their choice if they're bypassing top 5 talents to go off the board with a #8 pick.

I just don't want to be treading water with our high picks when we could be acquiring a gamebreaker (especially since we're not likely to see any more top 10 picks for awhile). Last year we saw the kind of impact a recent #8 pick can have on the fortunes of a playoff team...if they put a premium on skill.
I think Mario was one of the greatest players to ever play the game. I wouldn't anoint Grigorenko such a talent coming out of Junior.

And Mario never really changed. He's was never a gym guy, and he was the reason behind those country club locker rooms that were always spoken of. He was just that damn good where his natural ability allowed him to do what he did. It wasn't some insane work ethic like Crosby has.

Old
10-14-2012, 01:16 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:

The only positive I can think of should the season be lost due to the lockout is that there'll be another draft lottery that would allow all of the teams a chance to get a better draft ranking... "A La Crosby."

Wouldn't be amazing if we'd win the lottery once again and we unite Crosby and Nathan McKinnon...

If the season is lost, we may see another Top 10 draft choice much sooner than you think and in a stronger draft to boot.

Old
10-14-2012, 01:18 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops View Post
Two words for me - Devon and Setoguchi - come to mind when seeing that statement. We'll see how things develop moving forward.
Management got a really good and long look @ Pouliot last season since they were keeping a close eye on Morrow throughout the season. They must know something others don't. So far, Pouliot is having an een better season than last year with added responsibility since he doesn't have Joe Morrow as a D partner to rely on.

Old
10-14-2012, 01:19 PM
JTG

I really don't want another high pick via lockout lottery. This place would be even more unreadable.

Old
10-14-2012, 01:19 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops View Post
That name haunts me.... I still see him as the perfect cheap alternative winger for Crosby.

Old
10-14-2012, 01:21 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
I really don't want another high pick via lockout lottery. This place would be even more unreadable.
I see Shero stepping up to the podium to draft Seth Jones 1st Overall and we'll see armagedon on HF Boards. LOL

The 3rd year in a row that a Portland Winterhawk D is draft by the Pens 1st pick in the draft... and the 1000th consecutive D drafted by the Pens. LOL

Old
10-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
I think Mario was one of the greatest players to ever play the game. I wouldn't anoint Grigorenko such a talent coming out of Junior.
Neither would I. Mario's just the most convenient, well-known example I could think of to illustrate my point.

Quote:
And Mario never really changed. He's was never a gym guy, and he was the reason behind those country club locker rooms that were always spoken of. He was just that damn good where his natural ability allowed him to do what he did. It wasn't some insane work ethic like Crosby has.
I guess we just disagree. In my opinion, Mario came into the league an entitled brat who refused to put on his team's jersey at the draft or join his team's table, in what Red Fisher called "a tasteless demonstration of bad manners unmatched by anything I have ever witnessed at events of this kind".

Mario's experience playing in the Canada Cup taught him a lot about the focus and preparation necessary to become a winner at the highest level, and he concedes as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
The only positive I can think of should the season be lost due to the lockout is that there'll be another draft lottery that would allow all of the teams a chance to get a better draft ranking... "A La Crosby."

Wouldn't be amazing if we'd win the lottery once again and we unite Crosby and Nathan McKinnon...

If the season is lost, we may see another Top 10 draft choice much sooner than you think and in a stronger draft to boot.
Nice thought, but I don't want to have to rely on a lottery pick every time we need to inject some talent into the forward pipeline.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:16 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Quote:
Nice thought, but I don't want to have to rely on a lottery pick every time we need to inject some talent into the forward pipeline.
Amen.

Has anyone watched any of Kitchner's games yet? I know Marcantuoni has been held pointless but does he look like himself at all? His draft videos made him look like an Ovechkin-like explosive player and I hope that doesn't go away because of his recent injuries.

Closed Thread