HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Amen.

Has anyone watched any of Kitchner's games yet? I know Marcantuoni has been held pointless but does he look like himself at all? His draft videos made him look like an Ovechkin-like explosive player and I hope that doesn't go away because of his recent injuries.
Kitchener played today and Marcantuoni was pointless again and a minus 3. Stats aren't everything but I can't imagine how anyone can't be anything but extremely disappointed in his play so far. It's hard as hell to play in juniors as a talented player and not gain a single point in a month.

Old
10-14-2012, 04:37 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Neither would I. Mario's just the most convenient, well-known example I could think of to illustrate my point.

I guess we just disagree. In my opinion, Mario came into the league an entitled brat who refused to put on his team's jersey at the draft or join his team's table, in what Red Fisher called "a tasteless demonstration of bad manners unmatched by anything I have ever witnessed at events of this kind".

Mario's experience playing in the Canada Cup taught him a lot about the focus and preparation necessary to become a winner at the highest level, and he concedes as much.

Nice thought, but I don't want to have to rely on a lottery pick every time we need to inject some talent into the forward pipeline.
I can't exactly remember how that went down, because I wasn't born and I haven't heard the story enough. Wasn't Mario instructed by his agents to do that?

I do know recently, Mario addressed that as one of the biggest regrets he has.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:01 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 50
I might have the chance to interview Teddy this week...do any of you have questions you might want to ask him?

Old
10-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Jacob

Ask him how much he benches/squats.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I can't exactly remember how that went down, because I wasn't born and I haven't heard the story enough. Wasn't Mario instructed by his agents to do that?

I do know recently, Mario addressed that as one of the biggest regrets he has.
Yep, he was. But you can excuse almost any player's actions with the "agent's advice" catch-all. The fact is that he refused to join the Pens' table, put on the Pens' jersey, or even shake Eddie Johnston's hand, and then said in the following press conference that he did so because "Pittsburgh doesn't want me bad enough".

It was a brat move, pure and simple. Thankfully, Mario matured and later apologized for his embarrassing actions.

We also know that Lemieux didn't prepare or focus the way an elite athlete should until he played in the Canada Cup and saw firsthand how the older, established stars conducted themselves.

Mario never had a Crosby-esque work ethic (few do), but he made huge changes in both his attitude and focus from draft day to Cup-winning legend.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Ask him how much he benches/squats.

What ya bench?

Old
10-14-2012, 07:30 PM
wej20

Looks like Sean Maguire's going to be back up on Boston U and not the starter.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:15 PM
clefty
What?

No he's not, Jack Parker is splitting his starters.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:16 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
No he's not, Jack Parker is splitting his starters.
Thanks for the info.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
But dude... if everything goes completely right with Pouliot's development, then one day we may actually have a possibility to trade him for a winger!

Of course we have no idea who this winger will be or if the one we want will be on a team that needs a defenseman like Pouliot. But still we MAY someday at least have that chance.
Actually, the more likely scenario is that Pouliot will make a more experienced player on the NHL roster expendable, who could then be traded for a worthwhile player, while Pouliot replaces the player that was traded. Just like Letang and Goligoski made Whitney expendable.

For that matter, even if they don't end up resulting in trades, simply replacing a more expensive veteran with a talented player on an entry-level contract at a position that has been demanding a premium in cap space is worthwhile on its own. Or do we really want to have Shero have to go out and do another Martin/Michalek free agent signing for the blueline?

Old
10-15-2012, 07:08 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
Actually, the more likely scenario is that Pouliot will make a more experienced player on the NHL roster expendable, who could then be traded for a worthwhile player, while Pouliot replaces the player that was traded. Just like Letang and Goligoski made Whitney expendable.

For that matter, even if they don't end up resulting in trades, simply replacing a more expensive veteran with a talented player on an entry-level contract at a position that has been demanding a premium in cap space is worthwhile on its own. Or do we really want to have Shero have to go out and do another Martin/Michalek free agent signing for the blueline?
Have you seen our blueline depth?

Old
10-15-2012, 08:18 AM
JTG

If Pouliot develops, I could definitely see him being used as a value piece of trade fodder. A team will overpay for a guy who can push the offense from the back end, and we have guys coming who have the ability to do that who will be in the NHL well before DP.

I'll be closely following what happens with Ellis from Nashville. Very, very similar players.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:49 PM
steelcityassault

WB/S highlights from game 1 vs Bingo

Old
10-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Get To Our Game

Matt Murray makes 37/38 saves and is named 1st star of the game in a 3-1 Greyhounds victory.

So far in the season his stats are: 7W, 3L, .911 SV%, 3.48 GAA. He's facing 39.1 shots/60 minutes.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:19 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
WB/S highlights from game 1 vs Bingo

WBS has 3 games in 3 days this weekend. With only one week of NHL training camp proposed who will be the players called up? They will only make one cut so i'm sure the call up list will be short.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:12 AM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
WBS has 3 games in 3 days this weekend. With only one week of NHL training camp proposed who will be the players called up? They will only make one cut so i'm sure the call up list will be short.
Tangradi, Strait and Bortuzzo will make the team as they are on separate AHL contracts.

Aside from that I'd say maybe Benn Ferriero and Simon Despres

Old
10-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Sivek

Bryan Rust scored ND's only goal in a 3-1 loss to Minnesota-Duluth. He has two points in 3 games so far and certainly seems to be playing better this year. He just may make something out of himself yet.

Zlobin had a goal and assist in a 3-2 loss. Now at 7+5=12 through 11 games.

Murray gave up 5 goals on 35 shots in a 5-3 loss.

Old
10-19-2012, 03:43 AM
Malke

A bit late with my so called report on Sundqvist, I saw him play 2 weeks ago.

He is pretty big & strong with good passing game. Average skating.

He had a couple of good shot opportunities, was 1+2 that game.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:04 AM
deakka

Too bad Murray had an off game, hes been playing well lately and games like that drags down the stats But i said it before, his team is giving up like 40 shots/game, that wont make it in the long run. They need to tighten up defensively or his stats wont be good (not that stats are everything, but still nice for bragging rights )

Old
10-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Bryan Rust scored ND's only goal in a 3-1 loss to Minnesota-Duluth. He has two points in 3 games so far and certainly seems to be playing better this year. He just may make something out of himself yet.
It's that all-important junior year. Hope he makes the most of it. It seems like he's playing on their top line, so that's certainly encouraging.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Shyguy

Oscar Sundqvist has had a good start on his season, 17 pts (9+8) in 13 games.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
It's that all-important junior year. Hope he makes the most of it. It seems like he's playing on their top line, so that's certainly encouraging.
It didn't look like Rust was playing on the first-line last week. Actually I think he was on the third. But him and his line were really clicking and got more and more ice-time as the games progressed. Rust looked really good though, played a solid all-around game and created lots of scoring chances himself and his teammates. He should have definitely have had a few more points.

Archibald looked good too. He was just flying and all over the ice. He was pretty much playing like a pesky, annoying gnat all game. He'll be interesting to see what he becomes if he can add more size and punch to his game, while keeping his speed.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Oh, I saw he was playing with Tynan, so I just assumed that was the top line.

Old
10-19-2012, 03:07 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

vCash: 50
Just got ahold of MSU's line chart for tonight. Teddy once again centers the third line with Brett Knowles on his left and Johnny McInnis on his right while Pittsburgh native Dylan Margonari steps into his MSU debut centering the second line between Jean-Paul LaFontaine (Nephew of Pat) and the captain Eriah Hayes. Full reports on Teddy and Dylan later tonight.

If you're interested in following along, watch here: http://www.americaonesports.com/upco...q=v&value=wcha. Or, for free, you can follow @MHWeekend (How I'll be Tweeting) or @puckato (Shane Frederick, Mavs beat writer for the Mankato Free Press).

Last edited by puckguy11: 10-19-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old
10-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckguy11 View Post
Just got ahold of MSU's line chart for tonight. Teddy once again centers the third line with Brett Knowles on his left and Johnny McInnis on his right while Pittsburgh native Dylan Margonari steps into his MSU debut centering the second line between Jean-Paul LaFontaine (Nephew of Pat) and the captain Eriah Hayes. Full reports on Teddy and Dylan later tonight.

If you're interested in following along, watch here: http://www.americaonesports.com/upco...q=v&value=wcha. Or, for free, you can follow @MHWeekend (How I'll be Tweeting) or @puckato (Shane Frederick, Mavs beat writer for the Mankato Free Press).
Thanks for the information. It's really appreciated since finding first-hand accounts of players can be rather hard for a lot of guys and fans end up just following box scores and regurgitated information that may not be all that reliable.

London (Maata & Harrington) on NHL Network vs. Erie right now

Last edited by Sivek: 10-19-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Closed Thread