HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 05:22 PM
steelcityassault

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
How is Beau Bennett doing in his first pro season? Is he having any difficulties adjusting?
Needs to get a lot quicker, and a lot stronger. Gets knocked off of the puck with ease, doesn't have that "polish" or finish yet either

Old
11-05-2012, 05:42 PM
JTG

Yet in 9 games he has 5 points.

I honestly haven't noticed Bennett as being as bad as you have been making him sound.

That WBS team sucks, to be quite honest, and had it not been for Zatkoff, I really don't think they would have won a game.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Zlobin playing in the Subway Super Series starting tonight, so anyone north of the border can watch it on Sportsnet.

Grigorenko playing too. I expect to be frustrated after the game.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Jacob

it's on the NHL network too.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:29 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Zlobin playing in the Subway Super Series starting tonight, so anyone north of the border can watch it on Sportsnet.

Grigorenko playing too. I expect to be frustrated after the game.
Early in the game but so far, Mackinnon isn't how he's been described to me at all. His skating looked strange to me, but he def has wheels. Also had some awkward moments with the puck. Still very early obviously.

Yakupov made a beautiful pass a bit ago.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:31 PM
deakka

Zatkoff has been great yeah. But the bigest thing that needs to happen in WBS is the "veterans" have to step it up a notch. The youngsters are doing what you can expect tbh. but guys like Peters and Smith arent doing enough yet. IT feels like the last couple of years the veterans have been more productive. And since penguins mostly draft D the veteran forwards really need to produce more.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:34 PM
JTG

Zlobin to Grigorenko

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN!

Old
11-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Jacob

Zlobin with a nice pass to Grigorenko on a 2-on-1.

don't see anything wrong with Zlobin's skating. Didn't we hear that somewhere?

Old
11-05-2012, 06:40 PM
JTG

Zlobin can dish it.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:43 PM
JTG

MacKinnon got some serious wheels on him. Real powerful stride.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:47 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
MacKinnon got some serious wheels on him. Real powerful stride.
Yeah he seems to have settled in. That last shift I finally said, "okay now I get." He was a bit sloppy early on but it looks to have been nerves.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Hanowski will be out till at least Christmas.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Hanowski will be out till at least Christmas.
Rasberries. Was hoping for something sooner than that.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes C Addle View Post
Rasberries. Was hoping for something sooner than that.
So were we and unfortunately we are done with Mankato so we can't take care of the jackbag who decided to run him after he lit them up for 2 in the first period.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:56 PM
hctopcheds11

Really wish we would've taken Grigs.

Also, If Yakupov can learn to limit his turnovers he is going to be sick. He's really slick out there.

Really like Jonathen Huberdeau's game as well. Just solid, wins a lot of battles and seems to always make the right plays. You can clearly see why Mackinnon has a lot of hype around him. He's electric but I haven't loved his game tonight. One shift he looks excellent and the next he is playing sloppy. Still you can see the talent and he's gonna be a good one.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Really wish we would've taken Grigs.
He's certainly making it look like we made a big mistake passing him over, no offense to Pouliot. His shot is just lethal, and he can get it off with zero prep. Nice hand-eye and hands in tight too.

Would've been so nice to have a legitimate scoring threat who can create offense on his own in the pipeline...especially one that doesn't need considerable development time. You can tell he's NHL-ready right out of the box.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:16 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He's certainly making it look like we made a big mistake passing him over, no offense to Pouliot. His shot is just lethal, and he can get it off with zero prep. Nice hand-eye and hands in tight too.

Would've been so nice to have a legitimate scoring threat who can create offense on his own in the pipeline...especially one that doesn't need considerable development time. You can tell he's NHL-ready right out of the box.
Yeah he's almost like a smoother/more handsy and less physical James Neal. Can't think of a great comparison for him. His wrister really reminds me of Neal's though.

But he's got serious stick skill. He's the type of guy who could've made an impact maybe next season. He's that skilled.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Sivek

But if Pouliot develops, he can be traded for a Grigorenko-like player.

When the Staal trade was made, I wanted Grigorenko to be the pick because I guarantee that's the only time of the Sid-Geno era they will have a top ten pick and not only that, they had a top ten pick with an elite player available. The Pens could of drafted an elite playmaker but instead took a small offensive defenseman. I'm not hating on Pouliot, but when you're a team in championship mode and have the ability to draft another potential franchise player, you take that chance and pass on a guy like Pouliot.

I know people don't want to think about it, but there's going to come a time when Sid/Geno are going to start to decline a bit and it would've been extremely helpful to have a guy with elite talent ready to help pick up the slack. When you're picking 8th and a top-2 talent player is available, you take that chance, especially when you're organization is good shape like the Pens and a miss there isn't going to kill you. I mean they had 2 1st round picks, take a chance on a star player and you still have the other 1st-rounder. I just have the feeling it's a pick that's going to bite the team in the future unless Pouliot becomes a really good, not just good d-man. Ugh, it makes me mad just thinking about it. You had 2 1st rounders Shero, take a chance on the effing super-talented player there. It's not like Pouliot is downside-free, he's a small defenseman who is going to be great offensively to make it as a top-4 d-man in the NHL. I hope Pouliot does well but just thinking of the situation angers me a bit. My family was at the draft too and I was so pumped when Grigorenko was there and the trade was announced, I thought for sure they'd roll the dice because of the 2 1st rounders.

Man, I like the Staal trade now but I would effing love the Staal trade if was a Grigorenko, Dumoulin & Sutter package. That's insane quality there.

Last edited by Sivek: 11-05-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old
11-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post

When the Staal trade was made, I wanted Grigorenko to be the pick because I guarantee that's the only time of the Sid-Geno era they will have a top ten pick and not only that, they had a top ten pick with an elite player available. The Pens could of drafted an elite playmaker but instead took a small offensive defenseman. I'm not hating on Pouliot, but when you're a team in championship mode and have the ability to draft another potential franchise player, you take that chance and pass on a guy like Pouliot.

I know people don't want to think about it, but there's going to come a time when Sid/Geno are either going to start to decline a bit and it would've been extremely helpful to have a guy with elite talent ready to help pick up the slack. When you're pick 8th and a top-2 talent player is available, you take that chance, especially when you're organization is good shape like the Pens and a miss there isn't going to kill you. I mean they had 2 1st round picks, take a chance on a star player and you still have the other 1st-rounder. I just have the feeling it's a pick that's going to bite the team in the future unless Pouliot becomes a really good, not just good d-man.

Man, I like the Staal trade now but I would effing love the Staal trade if was a Grigorenko, Dumoulin & Sutter package. That's insane quality there.
We miss drafting that dynamic talent whenever we have the opportunity (and it's not a total tap-in)...Staal over Toews, Pouliot over Grigorenko. I'm not sure if that's a by-product of Shero working under Poile's tutelage or what, but we seem to prefer the safest, most familiar option possible even when drafting top 10 ought to net us an immensely skilled, high-ceiling player.

Our staff is high-end forward talent averse at the draft, for some reason. I don't know if they figure they just have to tread water with Sid and Geno in the organization, but it's getting a bit tiresome.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:51 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Yeah...

Pouliot is going to have to do a lot in my eyes to justify us picking him. It may not be fair to him, but it is what it is.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Quote:

I know people don't want to think about it, but there's going to come a time when Sid/Geno are going to start to decline a bit and it would've been extremely helpful to have a guy with elite talent ready to help pick up the slack. When you're picking 8th and a top-2 talent player is available, you take that chance, especially when you're organization is good shape like the Pens and a miss there isn't going to kill you. I mean they had 2 1st round picks, take a chance on a star player and you still have the other 1st-rounder. I just have the feeling it's a pick that's going to bite the team in the future unless Pouliot becomes a really good, not just good d-man. Ugh, it makes me mad just thinking about it. You had 2 1st rounders Shero, take a chance on the effing super-talented player there. It's not like Pouliot is downside-free, he's a small defenseman who is going to be great offensively to make it as a top-4 d-man in the NHL. I hope Pouliot does well but just thinking of the situation angers me a bit. My family was at the draft too and I was so pumped when Grigorenko was there and the trade was announced, I thought for sure they'd roll the dice because of the 2 1st rounders.
Very nicely put. I'm not trying to hate on Pouliot either, but watching Grigorenko...the kid sure looks polished. And you're right, it would've been nice to infuse another top tier forward that could help support the 2 headed monster because sadly there's a shelf life on that excellence.

Bottom line we don't know how it'll all play out, but Grigorenko sure looks to be a player, lets hope DP will too.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I'll just wait and see how they do in the NHL before I start jumping to conclusions.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I'll just wait and see how they do in the NHL before I start jumping to conclusions.
This.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Pretty much this. Everyone jumps on the hype-wagon and hold on even tighter after they watch a game. It's funny how people say we should have picked Grigs over DP. I'm sorry, but you're foolish to make a statement like that until it all pans out.

I was at my sisters wedding and told my girlfriend not to tell me who we picked (I already had the idea we'd trade Staal-it was evident-and the 8th would be included). Sure when I saw later that night the name D. Pouliot, I for sure said "wtf? Another D?!" But I don't follow the WHL a lot and knew very little about him.

Point is...I have a feeling a lot of us haven't seen DP a lot and only base our opinions on things we read on the Internet. Fact is, it's just writers and a few scouts putting in their input. If the Pens believed that the available D-men, specifically DP, were better than FF or Grigs then so be it.

My personal opinion is that they were targeting DP hard. He was projected to go 14-20 and teams ahead of them would be looking for a player like him. So they went off the board. Puck moving d-men with huge upside > an inconsistent, character questioning center and a winger that most people don't really know much about.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Pretty much this. Everyone jumps on the hype-wagon and hold on even tighter after they watch a game. It's funny how people say we should have picked Grigs over DP. I'm sorry, but you're foolish to make a statement like that until it all pans out.

I was at my sisters wedding and told my girlfriend not to tell me who we picked (I already had the idea we'd trade Staal-it was evident-and the 8th would be included). Sure when I saw later that night the name D. Pouliot, I for sure said "wtf? Another D?!" But I don't follow the WHL a lot and knew very little about him.

Point is...I have a feeling a lot of us haven't seen DP a lot and only base our opinions on things we read on the Internet. Fact is, it's just writers and a few scouts putting in their input. If the Pens believed that the available D-men, specifically DP, were better than FF or Grigs then so be it.

My personal opinion is that they were targeting DP hard. He was projected to go 14-20 and teams ahead of them would be looking for a player like him. So they went off the board. Puck moving d-men with huge upside > an inconsistent, character questioning center and a winger that most people don't really know much about.
Great post.

Just a side note, I would say Shero and the pens scouting staff had a pretty good idea of what they were getting with pouliot, being that they were following morrow and the winter hawks for the past couple seasons.

Closed Thread