HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
The Ducks and Habs rushed Fowler and Subban onto the NHL team too fast. I don't want the Pens to do that with any of their D prospects. I'd rather see Despres get top-pair minutes in the AHL this year than have him occupy the 3rd pair along Engelland. Either do that or give him top minutes along Letang, but that won't happen. Dumoulin is being glorified right now, he had to make no adjustment from his BC team to the Baby Pens. He isn't as good as Morrow.

On another topic, there's a lot of hate for Bennett on this thread. Why, he is a 1st year player that lost much of last year to injury. He hasn't been a total train wreck in the AHL this year either.
I wouldn't say Subban was rushed. He spent a year dominating the A. He had something like 50 points and almost 20 goals for the Dogs. He was a huge bonehead for the Bulls though. He would literally do a spin o rama at center ice, when he was the last man back (saw him do that several times). He still has a long way to go in his own end, as does Fowler.

Morrow won't be positionally sound for quite some time. It takes years to learn positional play in the NHL (Letang still struggles at times). However, Morrow is exactly what they need to boost their PP and transition game. The Pens also have their weak side blueliner retrieve pucks on dumps, which he excels at with his skating. He also doesn't lack for confidence, so I'm not too worried about him being rushed. Zero doubt he can handle sheltered minutes. But I am cool with him staying down a year.

As for Morrow being better than Dumoulin, I haven't seen enough of Dumoulin to say for certain.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
He's probably referring to the posters that would've preferred to draft Kuznetsov. Much like Pouilot will have a hard time for not being Forsberg/Grigorenko.
I'm not sure how anyone could interpret being a lesser prospect than arguably the best prospect in the world as "hate", but I guess there are some hypersensitive types out there.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:23 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
He's probably referring to the posters that would've preferred to draft Kuznetsov. Much like Pouilot will have a hard time for not being Forsberg/Grigorenko.
2 different positions, and situations.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I'm not sure how anyone could interpret being a lesser prospect than arguably the best prospect in the world as "hate", but I guess there are some hypersensitive types out there.
No, it was people were calling him a bust after 10 games in the AHL. I'm happier with the Bennett pick anyway, I don't get the impression that Kuznetsov has any interest in coming to play in the NHL. He is going to be in Russia for at least 2 more years, and it will probably be longer. I don't think the Pens are comfortable with drafting forwards, since they have only drafted 2, and 1 was a complete bust. What ever happened to Esposito after we traded him? I think he is a free agent right now.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I'll be seeing Clark Seymour play tonight.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I have no idea why, but my friends were heckling the **** out of Seymour. You could tell he was getting annoyed. He barely played in the third period. Before that though, he had a lot of shifts with Koekkoek, or however it is spelled. Played physical against McDavid. He may have assisted on the first goal 13 seconds into the game.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:47 PM
penguins2946*

Bennett had the dirtiest pass to set up Smith on that goal for WBS. That kid has some nasty hands.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Jacob

Yeah but he sucks because someone taken after him in the draft is better.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Sivek

Zlobin with 2 assists today, now on a 13 game point streak.

Murray stopped 39 of 42 in a 3-1 loss the other day. His team is so regularly outshot by a good margin that it's hard to get a grasp on how he is playing. He has 3.90 gaa and a save% of .898. The back-up has a 4.85 gaa and .881 save% as of the ongoing game (down 5-3 and being outsthot 34-13), so I'm guessing SSM is just a really bad defensive team. Murray also has all of the team wins.

The best comparable goalie in the OHL facing a lot of shots and playing on a bad team is Dansk, CLB's second-round pick this year and playing for Erie. Dansk's numbers are almost exactly the same as Murray's. Don't know what to make of all of it. Murray will get the start tomorrow against London and I expect him to face about 50 shots, hopefully Maata is the only one to score on him.

Last edited by Sivek: 11-10-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 09:16 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Zlobin with 2 assists today, now on a 13 game point streak.

Murray stopped 39 of 42 in a 3-1 loss the other day. His team is so regularly outshot by a good margin that it's hard to get a grasp on how he is playing. He has 3.90 gaa and a save% of .898. The back-up has a 4.85 gaa and .873 save%, so I'm guessing SSM is just a really bad defensive team. Murray also has all of the team wins.

The best comparable goalie in the OHL facing a lot of shots and playing on a bad team is Dansk, CLB's second-round pick this year and playing for Erie. Dansk's numbers are almost exactly the same as Murray's. Don't know what to make of all of it. Murray will get the start tomorrow against London and I expect him to face about 50 shots, hopefully Maata is the only one to score on him.
I don't have that high of expectations for Murray, he could turn out to be a decent back-up, but I'm not expecting the world out of him. I've worked with him with my goalie coach a few times, and I have no idea why he was picked that high in the draft. Before the draft, I thought he would be a 5th round pick at the earliest. And it's nice to see Zlobin score a ton, he could easily slide in on Malkin's line whenever he is ready. The only issue with him is the Russian factor, we want him to be like Malkin, not Ovechkin.

Oh yeah, Maatta had a goal tonight

Last edited by penguins2946*: 11-10-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 09:17 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Yeah but he sucks because someone taken after him in the draft is better.
It doesn't matter if someone else is better when that player may not even come over to North America to play.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I agree with Jiggy that Morrow will make a better NHL'er than he will an AHL'er.

Passing on Forsberg wasn't a big deal to me. In my opinion, I don't like the stats he put up in the SEL. I personally expect a bit more from a guy who was as highly touted as he was. The knock on him was that he was struggling playing against men. That's a pretty big knock. If you're a top 10 pick...you shouldn't be struggling to play against men.

I wondered the exact same thing, actually.
I like Forsberg but he needs to get a lot stronger to play his driving game against men. He kind of plays like Iginla when Iggy was the same age. I guess we'll have to see if he has that compete level to change his game around like Iggy did.

I actually liked Girgensons at 8 especially after trading Staal. I think he can be a Backes type player. Only good offensively but one of those players you go to war with.

Love the sense and skill on Grigs but I think his game is at center and moving him to wing would just lessen him. He's not a 3rd line type at all so he's just a bad fit for the Pens. I don't think he has compete level issues at all. He's just a smart skilled player that plays the slow down game.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
No, it was people were calling him a bust after 10 games in the AHL. I'm happier with the Bennett pick anyway, I don't get the impression that Kuznetsov has any interest in coming to play in the NHL. He is going to be in Russia for at least 2 more years, and it will probably be longer. I don't think the Pens are comfortable with drafting forwards, since they have only drafted 2, and 1 was a complete bust. What ever happened to Esposito after we traded him? I think he is a free agent right now.
Where? I can't for the life of me find anything like that in this thread.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if someone else is better when that player may not even come over to North America to play.
That was sarcasm.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Kunitziwa

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I like Forsberg but he needs to get a lot stronger to play his driving game against men. He kind of plays like Iginla when Iggy was the same age. I guess we'll have to see if he has that compete level to change his game around like Iggy did.

I actually liked Girgensons at 8 especially after trading Staal. I think he can be a Backes type player. Only good offensively but one of those players you go to war with.

Love the sense and skill on Grigs but I think his game is at center and moving him to wing would just lessen him. He's not a 3rd line type at all so he's just a bad fit for the Pens. I don't think he has compete level issues at all. He's just a smart skilled player that plays the slow down game.
That's where he's been playing in Rochester, on the wing. Or are you talking about Grigorenko?

Old
11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
JTG

The Staal situation, I would have liked Ray to have a few days with the 8th pick in hand.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:23 PM
mpp9

Quote:
The Staal situation, I would have liked Ray to have a few days with the 8th pick in hand.
Doubt it would have mattered. They were sold on taking Pouliot the first chance they got. Whether it was the 8th or 22nd pick.

If Tangradi breaks out this season and Shero can pull off a trade for Sid's longterm RW, I don't think many on here will give a **** about the pick anymore.

Last edited by mpp9: 11-11-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old
11-11-2012, 05:24 PM
deakka

Quote:
im pretty sure the team has a ranking all the way from the no1 pick. So it didt matter if the get the 8th, 5th, 11th or whatever pick via trade. You never know if a trade happens. And the scouts dont know where the team is gonna finnish the season either, and im sure they scout the players all the way from the start of the season so they should have had a good read on most of them.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
I remember Pierre McGuire saying if Pouliot wasn't available that Shero probably would have gone another direction. That's probably why they waited until the pick was available to announce the trade.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Jacob

They must not have been the only team with a bead on Pouliot or else they probably would have traded down a bit from #8.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
im pretty sure the team has a ranking all the way from the no1 pick. So it didt matter if the get the 8th, 5th, 11th or whatever pick via trade. You never know if a trade happens. And the scouts dont know where the team is gonna finnish the season either, and im sure they scout the players all the way from the start of the season so they should have had a good read on most of them.
Yeah, teams do rank every player in the draft. I was more stating that as I would have liked to see if Shero could have potentially got some other deals in place including that pick, whether that'd be moving up or down in the draft.

That being said, I can almost guarantee that Shero and Rutherford had that deal in place way before the draft, so Shero was more than likely knowing exactly what he was going to do if things came to fruition.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitziwa View Post
That's where he's been playing in Rochester, on the wing. Or are you talking about Grigorenko?
Yeah I was talking about Grigs.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If Tangradi breaks out this season and Shero can pull off a trade for Sid's longterm RW, I don't think many on here will give a **** about the pick anymore.
A Cup didn't make us forget about picking Staal over Toews, it'll have to be a hell of a RW to make us forget about Grigorenko if he's as good as he looks so far.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:08 PM
mpp9

Quote:
A Cup didn't make us forget about picking Staal over Toews, it'll have to be a hell of a RW to make us forget about Grigorenko if he's as good as he looks so far.
When our fanbase gets to see Sid/Geno play with 4 legitimate top 6 talents, I think we'll get over it.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:27 PM
penguins2946*

If Tangradi is able to stay on Sid's/Geno's wing this year, we won't trade for another winger UNLESS we trade TK and put Duper on the 3rd line, which probably won't happen. I bet we would go after someone like Stewart on the Blues once the season is over or go hard after Perry or Horton in free agency.

And the general consensus I've heard is that Pouliot wouldn't have been on the draft board by the 22nd pick. I don't think he should have been a top-10 pick, but he probably would have gone 12th-15th. He could turn out to be good, and we wouldn't have an issue with him being taken 8th. Also don't forget, he was the number 1 pick in the WHL Bantam draft, so it isn't like he is a no-name.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:52 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
A Cup didn't make us forget about picking Staal over Toews
Speak for yourself.

Closed Thread