HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 09:39 PM
steelcityassault

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I want to bet money with the guy guaranteeing that Veilleux is going to be an NHLer next season. The guy hasn't played hockey again for another year, and coming off a major knee injury this time. Who ****ing knows what he's going to look like this season. I'll be happy if he can stay healthy for half a season this time and puts up a .5 ppg average.
I'm right here

Old
10-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Sivek

Veilleux has played 104 games over the course of the last 4 seasons and is iffy to start this year on time. It would take a serious bout of health for him to have any future with the Pens considering his contract is up after this season and they aren't going to hold a contract spot open forever for a guy that projects at best as a decent 3rd-liner. Yeah he has a nice blend of size and skill but he's played like 30% of the possible games over a 4-year span and the NHL is only going to be more physical.

It'd be nice if he turned out well, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
I'm right here
Tantalizing tools, but you must be pretty sure about the guy. Seems like a real longshot considering all his injury troubles and his un-Bylsma bottom 6 skillset.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
I'm right here
Cool. I'll gladly eat crow if you're right.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:55 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Cool. I'll gladly eat crow if you're right.
I'll save you the suspense. You won't have to. In fact if I was Bill Gates, I'd bet my entire life savings on it.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:50 AM
FireBylsma
Palmebjörk & Doktorn

vCash: 174
Oskar Sundqvist game against modo j20 will be streamed here 7pm cet http://bambuser.com/channel/johnlind

Last edited by FireBylsma: 10-03-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old
10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I'll save you the suspense. You won't have to. In fact if I was Bill Gates, I'd bet my entire life savings on it.
How much of the WBS games Veilleux's played have you actually watched? And not read how many games played he has on hockeydb? Because I've watched all of them

Old
10-03-2012, 10:55 AM
JTG

People have tried pegging Veilleux as a bottom 6 center. He hasn't been able to play that type of game in the AHL while staying healthy, let alone in the NHL. Love the guy's skill, and the package he brings as a whole, but I have serious reservations about him becoming and NHL'er.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:40 AM
wej20

Hasn't he mainly been used as a winger?

Old
10-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
How much of the WBS games Veilleux's played have you actually watched? And not read how many games played he has on hockeydb? Because I've watched all of them
Normally I would agree with statements like this, but until the guy can actually play a whole healthy season, he has ZERO chance to make the Penguins team.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
How many games did you watch him play last year? Believe it or not, playing time is pretty crucial for a player's development and you need a lot more than just being some big dude with a lot of skill. I think everyone realizes what kind of potential Veilleux has, but it's always been one big obstacle after another for him and everyone has realized it's taken a huge toll on him.

And if you've seen every-game, then how about you provide us with some details about why you'd make such a claim? Seriously, I appreciate what you do here and the coverage you provide for WBS. But I could have my nephew watch every game he's played, and I'm probably not going to trust his opinion.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
I don't need to watch any. He hasn't been able to stay healthy for one. Secondly, there are already a bunch of players on the depth chart above him. Thirdly, Shero always signs bottom 6 grinders before each season. Fourthly, Bylsma doesn't like playing rookies.

I mean honestly, how can you possibly think he'll be here next season? That's just an absurd opinion. It will literally never happen. The only way he's in the NHL next season is if we get hit with the injury bug again like the past two seasons... only multiply it by two or three.

Old
10-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Shady Machine

I'm Ron Burgundy

Old
10-03-2012, 04:16 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I'm Ron Burgundy?
fixed

Old
10-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

If KV stays healthy, he will no doubt get a shot this season, if there is a season and all.

There really isn't much depth at fwd for him to leapfrog.

I'm struggling to think of who gets the call when Pens fwds go down... BB if he plays well and Sill... After that who? Dupuis is an AHLer, trust me on that.... So who is left, really?

If KV stays healthy and plays up to his talent, he will be on the short list of callups.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I don't need to watch any.
Ha. That's where I stopped reading.

Quote:
How many games did you watch him play last year? Believe it or not, playing time is pretty crucial for a player's development and you need a lot more than just being some big dude with a lot of skill. I think everyone realizes what kind of potential Veilleux has, but it's always been one big obstacle after another for him and everyone has realized it's taken a huge toll on him.

And if you've seen every-game, then how about you provide us with some details about why you'd make such a claim? Seriously, I appreciate what you do here and the coverage you provide for WBS. But I could have my nephew watch every game he's played, and I'm probably not going to trust his opinion.
Last year I watched a pre-season game where he literally dominated the opposition, and potted 4 goals. Obviously he hasn't played the amount of games anyone would have liked him to. But that doesn't been he's retiring.

People do not realize how far he has come in his development in the last 3 years WITHOUT playing on a regular basis. He went from soft to legitimately tough. Bullied some of the toughest players in the A.

From what I've seen, he has the ability to play in the NHL next season. Not in a top-6 or even top-9 role like some have been claiming. Fourth line winger that can drop the gloves and play the system to an absolute T.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Last year I watched a pre-season game where he literally dominated the opposition, and potted 4 goals. Obviously he hasn't played the amount of games anyone would have liked him to. But that doesn't been he's retiring.

People do not realize how far he has come in his development in the last 3 years WITHOUT playing on a regular basis. He went from soft to legitimately tough. Bullied some of the toughest players in the A.

From what I've seen, he has the ability to play in the NHL next season. Not in a top-6 or even top-9 role like some have been claiming. Fourth line winger that can drop the gloves and play the system to an absolute T.
KV is old news, so naturally people gave up on him.

The bottom six needs size and he brings that in spades when he is playing hard.

There is no doubt he has the skill to play in the NHL. My worries are health (no really) and skating.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Hasn't he mainly been used as a winger?
He has

Old
10-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
If KV stays healthy, he will no doubt get a shot this season, if there is a season and all.

There really isn't much depth at fwd for him to leapfrog.

I'm struggling to think of who gets the call when Pens fwds go down... BB if he plays well and Sill... After that who? Dupuis is an AHLer, trust me on that.... So who is left, really?

If KV stays healthy and plays up to his talent, he will be on the short list of callups.
Ferriero and Super Duper 2 will no doubt be bottom 6 call ups as well as Sill. BB needs to light **** up to get the call up. IF KV can stay healthy I'd say he gets a call up after those guys but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:15 PM
wej20

Ferriero, Dupuis, Trevor Smith and even Warren Peters or Zach Sill could be ahead of Veilleux and that's before we look at the rookies like Bennett, Kuhnhackl, Uher.

Last edited by wej20: 10-03-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old
10-03-2012, 05:23 PM
JTG

Quote:
Ha. That's where I stopped reading.

I don't question he can get better, or that he has some serious skill, but how can you expect a guy to develop when he's had 3 pro seasons, 1 season he played 9 games, and another he played 0, which was the most recent season.

I don't doubt he can be an NHL'er, but I think his ability to live up to his potential previously is slim, and I have serious reservations about him being about to withstand the rigors of a 4th line role.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Ferriero and Super Duper 2 will no doubt be bottom 6 call ups as well as Sill. BB needs to light **** up to get the call up. IF KV can stay healthy I'd say he gets a call up after those guys but I'll believe it when I see it.
If KV stays healthy and plays to his potential, he is going to be a much better option than those two.

Those are big ifs, but it isn't a crazy notion both could happen.

He's such a wildcard that no one should count him out, or count on him.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Old
10-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Valarukar

not that I can really make out the numbers very well on the SEL games, but what number does Sundqvist sport?

Old
10-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
If KV stays healthy and plays to his potential, he is going to be a much better option than those two.

Those are big ifs, but it isn't a crazy notion both could happen.

He's such a wildcard that no one should count him out, or count on him.
But Jig, we've seen this movie before. If DB has the option of an inexperienced youngster with offensive upside or a two-way AHL veteran, he's going with the latter option every time unless he's completely blown away. I think that's what most people here are getting at.

ET's higher than KV on the depth chart and would ostensibly fill a similar role. Does anybody honestly think Bylsma would ice a team where both Veilleux and Tangradi are playing bottom 6 roles? I have a hard time imagining it.

Like wej said, Ferriero, Dupuis, et al seem to be more likely options for DB, no matter what our fanbase thinks.

Closed Thread