Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lucic signs extension 3yrs @ $6mil per year

Old
09-15-2012, 08:31 AM
MarchandNoseBest

vCash: 500
Mixed feelings about this one. Very glad to lock up another core player, but I feel they overpaid by half a million to 750K per after a string of very reasonable contracts.

As long as this doesn't set a trend of that, it's fine especially considering the short length. A little worried about the precedent it sets for future deals though, like Bergeron. He may have been happy to slide into $5.5M or so, ahead of Krejci and behind Seguin (especially if Seguin develops as expected, and Bergeron can see we were paying based on potential for him). Now with Lucic making $6M, does Bergeron want that or more too? Hard to blame him if he does.

Overpaying 1 player by 500-750K isn't a problem. Starting a trend by overpaying that player and having to overpay guys in the future because they want Milan Lucic money or more does become a problem. Let's hope that's not the case.

MarchandNoseBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BruinsRule774774

Man I wish horty was healthy cause looch can't even hold his Jock when it comes to playoff performance. Horty is clutch and wouldn't mind the 6 mil per for him. But looch ....

BruinsRule774774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
So much for "long term."

No issue with the dollars, only wish the term was longer.
I agree. This should be a five-year deal. The problem here is that most players automatically want a raise when their contract expires, and Lucic should never be making a penny over 6 million/year.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

By this rate Bergeron is going to get 6.25+ and he deserves that more than what Lucic just got.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So much for "long term."

No issue with the dollars, only wish the term was longer.
100% agree. At 6 per I wanted 5 years, maybe even 6.

Still, this is far preferable to seeing a Lucic smash in another sweater.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Oso

This and the other signings tell me that we should definitely expect to see a roll back as part of whatever new CBA we end up with. Oh, and that this will be Horton's last year as a $4m per year or more Bruin.

Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
By this rate Bergeron is going to get 6.25+ and he deserves that more than what Lucic just got.
This one of the biggest problem of this deal. It create " inflation " within the team. I could understand why Seguin got 5.75 per year but 6 per for Lucic? No way; absolutely no way !

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:39 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Bergeron has a greater impact on this team then Lucic and this a fact.
Fact? So I shouldn't point out that despite having a talented squad, Bergeron's teams didn't get an identity until Lucic showed up, right?

And Bergeron signed his 5M deal when the cap was 60M. It's now 70M. Bergeron's percent of cap was 8.3%, Lucic's is now 8.6%. The difference is so minor, it's not worth quibbling over.

Why can't you just be happy with the fact that of either of these guys hit the open market, they'd get more than Boston is paying them?

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
This one of the biggest problem of this deal. It create " inflation " within the team. I could understand why Seguin got 5.75 per year but 6 per for Lucic? No way; absolutely no way !
This deal hasn't created inflation. Inflation has been a league wide problem all summer.

Jesus. Chiarelli has killed it all summer, and gets one guy at market price (likely below) and people are pissed that he couldn't pull another rabbit from his hat.

I know we all like to think everyone loves playing here so much that they'll take less than they could get elsewhere to stay here. As a fan base, weve been damn lucky in that regard under Chiarellis watch. it's not realistic to expect that all the time.

IMO, we are extremely spoiled.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:43 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
I agree. This should be a five-year deal. The problem here is that most players automatically want a raise when their contract expires, and Lucic should never be making a penny over 6 million/year.
Never say never.

Again - if you're viewing the league's cap structure in dollars and cents, you're gonna have a bad time. Look at it as percentage of cap.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:45 AM
StanleyCup2011*

Ugh. $6 mil is so much more than he has earned. How could Chia sign off on paying more for Looch than Seguin.

StanleyCup2011* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:45 AM
xgallantx
Smart enough to win

vCash: 1340
I think most people would agree, at this number I wish the term was longer. For only 3 years 5.5 would've been more than enuff.....Still happy to have him locked up for a few more years - huge fan.

xgallantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Fact? So I shouldn't point out that despite having a talented squad, Bergeron's teams didn't get an identity until Lucic showed up, right?

And Bergeron signed his 5M deal when the cap was 60M. It's now 70M. Bergeron's percent of cap was 8.3%, Lucic's is now 8.6%. The difference is so minor, it's not worth quibbling over.

Why can't you just be happy with the fact that of either of these guys hit the open market, they'd get more than Boston is paying them?
Are you saying that identity is a more important factor then to score/prevent goal ( Seguin, Bergeron )? I can get the " identity " factor but in the end, you win when you score one more goal then the opposition. I have no problem with the fact that you're glad that Lucic is re-sign but aside the " intangible " factor who is not measurable one, there's no way you can justify a 6 per paycheck for Lucic.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:46 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
This deal hasn't created inflation. Inflation has been a league wide problem all summer.

Jesus. Chiarelli has killed it all summer, and gets one guy at market price (likely below) and people are pissed that he couldn't pull another rabbit from his hat.

I know we all like to think everyone lives playing here so much that they'll take less than they could get elsewhere to stay here. As a fan base, weve been damn lucky in that regard under Chiarellis watch. it's not realistic to expect that all the time.

HF has become unbearable for anyone who remembers the previous regime(s).

I feel like a former prisoner of war who is watching customer after customer send filets mignon back to the kitchen because they said medium rare and the shade is really more that of medium.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

I just hope Lucic doesn't disappear in the playoffs again.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Bearcrap

I hope he's got a good pre-nup signed.

Bearcrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:48 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Are you saying that identity is a more important factor then to score/prevent goal ( Seguin, Bergeron )? I can get the " identity " factor but in the end, you win when you score one more goal then the opposition. I can understand that you're glad that Lucic is re-sign but aside the " intangible " factor who are not measurable one, there's no way you can justify a 6 per paycheck for Lucic.

Watch me:

29 other teams would trip over themselves to sign Milan Lucic to a $6M cap hit.

You're really, really undervaluing his impact.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:49 AM
MarchandNoseBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsRule774774 View Post
Man I wish horty was healthy cause looch can't even hold his Jock when it comes to playoff performance. Horty is clutch and wouldn't mind the 6 mil per for him. But looch ....
Short-term memory. Lucic was fantastic his 1st 3 years in the playoffs and viewed as a playoff monster by fans (both Bruins and around the league). Then he's playing hurt during our Stanley Cup run, and actually played solid still.

Last year was first year he sucked in the playoffs, and the same could be said about nearly our entire team, at least offensively.

MarchandNoseBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post

I know we all like to think everyone loves playing here so much that they'll take less than they could get elsewhere to stay here. As a fan base, weve been damn lucky in that regard under Chiarellis watch. it's not realistic to expect that all the time.

Some people just have to complain. I have a suspicion they either weren't fans during the Singer years or are suffering from willful amnesia.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:52 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Dom is a genius. He expected / pushed for a 3 year deal so if the new rules go in place Looch will still be an RFA at the end of the deal...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Scotto74

vCash: 50
Quote:
Watch me:

29 other teams would trip over themselves to sign Milan Lucic to a $6M cap hit.

You're really, really undervaluing his impact.
agree. the fact that 30 our of 30 teams would pay him 6 million is what sets his market value not what posters on HF think he should be paid.

I love chia this summer

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:55 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyCup2011 View Post
Ugh. $6 mil is so much more than he has earned. How could Chia sign off on paying more for Looch than Seguin.
Looch does far more throughout the course of a game then Seguin. Seguin scores goals. He sucks defensively (right now) and is the second easiest players I have ever seen knocked off a puck (Kessel the first).....

25 goals, 60 points, 200 hits, 100 PIM and 7-10 fights. He's the first line winger and toughest player they have.

Easily market value for him. Plus he took a much shorter deal then Seguin.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:56 AM
ronwm

I feel fine about this deal right now.....just hope I can feel the same part-way through the season....

ronwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:57 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Are you saying that identity is a more important factor then to score/prevent goal ( Seguin, Bergeron )? I can get the " identity " factor but in the end, you win when you score one more goal then the opposition. I have no problem with the fact that you're glad that Lucic is re-sign but aside the " intangible " factor who is not measurable one, there's no way you can justify a 6 per paycheck for Lucic.
It's easily what he's worth. What you you pay him? 5.25? You're biatching about 750k? Really?

Old
09-15-2012, 08:57 AM
stick9

Too much $$$ for Lucic. I like having him, but he's not a 6mil player. With the money Looch and Marchand got, what does Rask get after his one year deal? No way he takes less than 4mil now.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote