HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's such a good feeling to have the best GM in hockey!

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
It's such a good feeling to have the best GM in hockey!

Quote:
Last week's six-man group grew to seven Wednesday when New Jersey Devils GM and CEO Lou Lamoriello joined the meeting at the request of the NHLPA. Lamoriello, a member of the NHL's negotiating committee, is respected by the union and seen as someone who wants to make a deal.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=112635

You'd think the union would hate Lou, because of how stiff he is with keeping salaries down. I couldn't be more proud to have this man as my GM

Old
01-26-2005, 06:31 PM
MattNJD

Send a message via AIM to MattNJD
Amen to that!!

Old
01-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Hellsempire

Hell yes! Nice article there DF.

Old
01-26-2005, 07:37 PM
DevilFisch

Send a message via ICQ to DevilFisch Send a message via AIM to DevilFisch
I am now moving up my NHL-mood up to cautiously optimistic now that the Lou is more involved.

Who's house? Lou's house.

Old
01-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Best GM in hockey? Best GM in all of professional sport.

Old
01-26-2005, 08:03 PM
NJDraft

If I had to guess ,why Lou, I'd think NHL people believe he can convince certain ownership that they have to go with a soft cap,rather than the low hard one,that most franchises want,and are still demanding.

If clubs like the rag$ TML and DRW get to spend over the cap I hope they not only get a lux tax but also forfeit 1st rd. draft picks. If they want to be pigs at the troth let them also ruin their farm system.

Old
01-26-2005, 08:17 PM
DudeCar

I have yet to find a better GM than Lou anywhere, at any time.

Old
01-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Lou honestly is a mediator in this. He favors neither sides and knows what both sides must give in order to get a deal done.

Old
01-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Tbg1515

So is this true or is it gonna be a little hope shot down again......Please tell me we will have a season, i need hockey.

Old
01-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Jared Ramsden

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbg1515
So is this true or is it gonna be a little hope shot down again......Please tell me we will have a season, i need hockey.
Who knows? It's hard to even be cautiously optimstic anymore.....but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed....and Lou is the best GM, hands down

Old
01-27-2005, 12:27 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeCar
I have yet to find a better GM than Lou anywhere, at any time.
Sorry to break up this Lammy love fest, but I think your team's success should be more attributed to David Conte than iron fist Lou. He's a smart man...yet very dictatorial. There have been times when he's also looked bad. He greatly offends Holik during arbitration but offers him 9 mill per year the following season...if im not mistaken. although holik is a whiny baby, it wasn't one of lou's brightest moments. then there's the threat of the potential departure of scott niedermayer via free agency because I believe he has mediocre relations with his players. acquiring tverdovsky didn't really work out. he's no doubt done some very good things (top 3 GM in the NHL), but keep things in perspective.

i also think he was called upon during this interview because he is a hardliner that has however been willing to dish out lots of cash for the star players (so he's not the worst of the hardliners like Boston and Chicago are). he's one GM that could probably understand the perspective of both sides despite his OK rapport with his new jersey devil players. he's also a smart hockey man and sides with the NHL cause and that no doubt played into it. but the PA must have felt Lou has a soft spot (albeit small) for the NHLPA given that Brodeur and Stevens (two cornerstones of your franchise) are both paid pretty well by him.

Old
01-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Russian_fanatic

Lou for Commish

Old
01-27-2005, 06:24 AM
DownFromNJ

Quote:
Best GM in hockey? Best GM in all of professional sport.
That would be a difficult arguement.

The Braves GM is pretty good.

Old
01-27-2005, 11:11 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
Sorry to break up this Lammy love fest, but I think your team's success should be more attributed to David Conte than iron fist Lou. He's a smart man...yet very dictatorial. There have been times when he's also looked bad. He greatly offends Holik during arbitration but offers him 9 mill per year the following season...if im not mistaken. although holik is a whiny baby, it wasn't one of lou's brightest moments. then there's the threat of the potential departure of scott niedermayer via free agency because I believe he has mediocre relations with his players. acquiring tverdovsky didn't really work out. he's no doubt done some very good things (top 3 GM in the NHL), but keep things in perspective.

i also think he was called upon during this interview because he is a hardliner that has however been willing to dish out lots of cash for the star players (so he's not the worst of the hardliners like Boston and Chicago are). he's one GM that could probably understand the perspective of both sides despite his OK rapport with his new jersey devil players. he's also a smart hockey man and sides with the NHL cause and that no doubt played into it. but the PA must have felt Lou has a soft spot (albeit small) for the NHLPA given that Brodeur and Stevens (two cornerstones of your franchise) are both paid pretty well by him.
That's a load of bunk. I will agree that David Conte is a great Director of Scouting, but Lou Lamoriello runs the team. He has made the New Jersey Devils one of the finest organizations in the NHL.

Lou Lamoriello also served as CEO of the New Jersey Nets as they won two NBA Eastern Conference Championships. And Lamoriello he was a big factor in Providence College's rise to prominense in both hockey and basketball in the NCAA.

When Martin Brodeur signed his long contract, there were quite a few people in the media writing about it as if Brodeur had been taken by Lamoriello. It was a realistic contract for one of the best goalies in the game who was also in his prime. Imagine how much Toronto, Detroit or the like would pay for Brodeur in his prime.

Bobby Holik was an important part of two Stanley Cup Champions in New Jersey. He was offered more than he otherwise would have been offered because a divisional rival was attempting to sign the centerman, which they did. The divisional rival and the Devils are also geographically close than any two teams in the NHL, and they have never had a trade between them.

The only season in which Scott Stevens was paid "too much" was in 1994-95. He made 5.8 million that season because the Devils had to match the offer made by St. Louis. The Blues would later be penalized for making Stevens an offer before they had the right to do so.

Furthermore, Lou Lamoriello has never signed a high priced, high profile free-agent away from another club. Unless you consider Turner Stevenson, an older Bobby Carpenter or Jim McKenzie as falling into that catagory, Lamoriello's free-agent signings have always been role-players.

As for Lamoriello's involvement in the negotiations, Stan Fischler makes a very good point in his latest column, "Can Lou Lamoriello Help Broker an NHL Deal?," when her writes,
Quote:
A DETAIL MAN -- The Devils president-CEO-GM is regarded as a technical expert, not a policy person. Lamoriello would be available to explain how long it would take to start the season and what other nuances would go into the immediate aftermath of a deal. With very little time to resume play, the union would need Lou's expertise expertise to fill in critical information gaps.

Old
01-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Hellsempire

At last ... a hockey man

Quote:
At last ... a hockey man

It was the usual list of suspects who gathered yesterday with one interesting addition -- Lou Lamoriello. His involvement is yet another good sign.

For the first time since Trevor Linden initiated these mid-level meetings, the owners have brought in someone who knows more about hockey than about torts and codicils.

Lamoriello, the general manager and president of the New Jersey Devils, rubs a lot of people in hockey the wrong way. He runs the organization as if it were some sort of eastern seaboard prep school and forces his players to conform to rules that could come only from a mind that is astonishingly archaic or terminally condescending.

But he is at least a hockey man. He is not a lawyer. He is not a businessman, although he has become extremely wealthy through his involvement with the Devils.

He knows how the NHL works and he knows what a team needs to do to be successful. He runs a team without a town, a franchise which calls an interchange its home. Yet he won three Stanley Cups under the now-defunct collective bargaining agreement and turned a nifty profit in the process.

Now, there is finally someone on the owners' side who is capable of listening to the players' voices and making some sense out of what he hears.

More importantly, the league has finally brought in someone who has been successful with his franchise, rather than taking counsel only from the league's losers.

Old
01-27-2005, 11:21 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

isn't the devils current payroll at, or around $60M?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDPEXP
If I had to guess ,why Lou, I'd think NHL people believe he can convince certain ownership that they have to go with a soft cap,rather than the low hard one,that most franchises want,and are still demanding.

If clubs like the rag$ TML and DRW get to spend over the cap I hope they not only get a lux tax but also forfeit 1st rd. draft picks. If they want to be pigs at the troth let them also ruin their farm system.
I find that kind of strange him doing that when he knew a cap was coming. Even Slats was smart enough to dump salary. That would make the devils almost $20M over the soft cap if it was $40M. While teams like the NYR, TML, DRW, PHIL can afford a lux tax because of deep pockets, the devils new owner is not in that league. He is a stand alone and in today's sports market that can be a drawback. Everyting rides on the team, attendance, marketing, TV/cable revenue, etc. Becareful what you wish for, it may be your team that faces such penalties as those others you named.

Old
01-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
I find that kind of strange him doing that when he knew a cap was coming. Even Slats was smart enough to dump salary. That would make the devils almost $20M over the soft cap if it was $40M. While teams like the NYR, TML, DRW, PHIL can afford a lux tax because of deep pockets, the devils new owner is not in that league. He is a stand alone and in today's sports market that can be a drawback. Everyting rides on the team, attendance, marketing, TV/cable revenue, etc. Becareful what you wish for, it may be your team that faces such penalties as those others you named.
Ah, but we've also got about 10M locked up in depth players we don't need and who other teams will want to acquire... teams like Boston, who would have to call up half of Providence just to ice a team if the season started.

And, Niedermayer's contract is one season, Stevens is on the brink of retirement, and like 15M of that 20M we're over goes out at the end of this season, giving us the chance to resign them for less. Plus, we HAVE the money at the moment, because Vanderbeek is willing to dish out some cash, unlike YankeeNets.

In Lou We Trust.

Old
01-27-2005, 11:32 AM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19

I'll "keep things in perspective." Thanks for the advice. The Holik "offense" by Lou has CLEARLY played out to make Lou look like even more of a genius than he is (if that's possible). And Conte is truly a stud but has only been the Director of Scouting for the past 11 years. Conte has continued to contribute to what Lou had begun building in prior years. He is a great Secretary of State to Lou's Presidency, and we thank you for mentioning him. But that being said, Lou is the one who makes the decisions. Lou is the one who decides which players stay, and which players go. The Devils have definitely drafted well with Conte, but they did some pretty good things before his tenure began in '93. Niedermayer. Brodeur. Rolston. Guerin. Jason Smith. Sergei Brylin. Ever heard of those guys?

Old
01-27-2005, 11:42 AM
4check22

Send a message via MSN to 4check22 Send a message via Yahoo to 4check22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
Ah, but we've also got about 10M locked up in depth players we don't need and who other teams will want to acquire... teams like Boston, who would have to call up half of Providence just to ice a team if the season started.

And, Niedermayer's contract is one season, Stevens is on the brink of retirement, and like 15M of that 20M we're over goes out at the end of this season, giving us the chance to resign them for less. Plus, we HAVE the money at the moment, because Vanderbeek is willing to dish out some cash, unlike YankeeNets.

In Lou We Trust.
Forget it, FSD. Arguing with ATLANTARANGER is like trying to train poop to dance. Pointless, and in the end, you're just frustrated because nothing has been accomplished . . . and you have pooey all over your hands.

Old
01-27-2005, 11:54 AM
BigBully4

Send a message via AIM to BigBully4
"Sorry to break up this Lammy love fest, but I think your team's success should be more attributed to David Conte than iron fist Lou."

Show me 10 people who agree with this statement. Conte was hired by LOU. It's like saying Bill Gates is only a minimal part of Microsoft since his programmers do most of the work.

Last edited by ratsgirl: 01-27-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old
01-27-2005, 12:45 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

They both make around $7.5M, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil

In Lou We Trust.
If you resign them, at what figure? Certainly in the $5M range each, no? So you really aren't saving $15M, maybe $5M, right?
Granted some of your fringe role players, that Lou over signed this year, will hve contracts that terminate. So why would someone give you anything of value for a short term rental? On the flip side, those players will be replaced by some of the prospects you have in Albany. I should think that their salaries would be fairly comparative to those seasoned role players whose contracts are up.

I think the problem that NJ will face is that you could still have several players earning over $4-5M a year, Madden, Brodeur, Elias, Stevens, Neidermeyer and several more near, or above $3M. That's 14 players totalling approximately $49M, or $52.7M if Neids & stevens are resigned at current salaries.

The problem with the new devils owner is that he is a stand alone.
Unlike MSG, his pockets are not nearly as deep.

Old
01-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
If you resign them, at what figure? Certainly in the $5M range each, no? So you really aren't saving $15M, maybe $5M, right?
Granted some of your fringe role players, that Lou over signed this year, will hve contracts that terminate. So why would someone give you anything of value for a short term rental? On the flip side, those players will be replaced by some of the prospects you have in Albany. I should think that their salaries would be fairly comparative to those seasoned role players whose contracts are up.

I think the problem that NJ will face is that you could still have several players earning over $4-5M a year, Madden, Brodeur, Elias, Stevens, Neidermeyer and several more near, or above $3M. That's 14 players totalling approximately $49M, or $52.7M if Neids & stevens are resigned at current salaries.

The problem for the Lou and the Devils if anything is not that we won't spend the money as the fact that we have one of the highest payrolls in the league is proof to that, but what ever cap is set will we be able to get all these top players of ours under the cap?

Money won't be the issue, space will be. For some reason you seem to be forgetting about this inevitable cap that is coming.

01-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

They won't impliment the soft cap right away. They will ease into it IMO giving a year to get under it. NJ doesn't have much salary locked up over time.

Old
01-27-2005, 03:31 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4check22

I'll "keep things in perspective." Thanks for the advice. The Holik "offense" by Lou has CLEARLY played out to make Lou look like even more of a genius than he is (if that's possible). And Conte is truly a stud but has only been the Director of Scouting for the past 11 years. Conte has continued to contribute to what Lou had begun building in prior years. He is a great Secretary of State to Lou's Presidency, and we thank you for mentioning him. But that being said, Lou is the one who makes the decisions. Lou is the one who decides which players stay, and which players go. The Devils have definitely drafted well with Conte, but they did some pretty good things before his tenure began in '93. Niedermayer. Brodeur. Rolston. Guerin. Jason Smith. Sergei Brylin. Ever heard of those guys?
you know i think its far funnier to see y'all grope over your GM like he's a god. :lol Lou's able to make the decisions he chooses to because Conte provides him with seemingly unlimited resources. if there's no prospects in the devil's system...there's no leverage for big lou. anywayz...continue on with your love fest...forgive me for parading on it with some shred of reality.

btw, i admire lou's work in attracting fans to devils games. you guys go out in droves don't ya? he also deserves much praise for initiating the dead puck era of hockey. good job lou. he he he. i truly admire his contributions to hockey.

Old
01-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Guttersnipe
complain, whine, cry

I don't see any of the Devils players multi year contracts as Yashin/LeClair-level albatrosses, especially if you factor in some form salary rollback.

I was suprised by size Madden's contract, but Lou had said he was going to manage the team the way he always had, rather than panic about the future. I had read a while back that during the last lockout Lou was the only GM that didn't reduce his scouting staff as a cost cutting measure. Not running around like a chicken with it's head cut off when things go wrong is a part of any great GM, IMHO. The Patriots are shining example of that, in fact that's the only team I will admit is a better organization then the Devils (I majored in Homerism in college).

I read elsewhere that it was the NHL was the one who asked Lou to sit in. Larry Brooks QUOTED someone else saying that Lou was one of the few, if not only, non-hardliners on the NHL Board. If only the NHL could find thier Pete Rozelle...

I think Lou could probably argue better than anyone that salaries have escalated out of control, because in the last few years the Devil's payroll has increased considerably, mostly due to arbitration. And despite his best efforts, Lou is forced to spend a lot more money to field a team a lot less talented (on paper) than the one that won their 2nd Cup. Back then Lou put together that team with a payroll that around the 15th highest payroll in the league. It was a thing of beauty, but Lou was paying most of the players below "market value" salaries. And if even Lou can't keep payroll down, current system is most definitely broken.

Closed Thread