HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Corporation most invested in NHL?

Old
11-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Habs Junkie

vCash: 500
Corporation most invested in NHL?

I'm curious, which corporation is the most financially invested in the NHL? Bell, Rogers, NBC, Molson, NBC, etc...? I'm not talking about which company is worth the most, but the one who has the most resources and money tied to the NHL, whether through ownership, sponsorship, broadcasting etc

Thanks!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Probably NBC. I doubt there's any corporation paying above $180MM a year.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Probably NBC. I doubt there's any corporation paying above $180MM a year.
180 mil? I wonder how much the Canadian broadcasters pay

Old
11-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

CBC is around $100 million per year I believe. The NBC contract covers the equivalent of both CBC's contract and TSN's contract so it make sense that it is higher, at least until the Cdn rights are up in 2014.

NBC would be a good answer, but Bell Media is also another good answer. They co-own the Leafs and own TSN, RDS and the NHL network.

Inkling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:50 PM
madhi19

BCE hand down they own TSN, TSN2, RDS, RDS2, RIS, TSN-Habs TSN-Jets and god know what other sports channel. I don't know how much they pay yearly for all that Hockey content but am willing to bet it more than NBC. Also they own ownership share of 18% of the Habs and 37.5% of MLSE.

madhi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:53 PM
guyincognito

NBC has also inherited local broadcasting franchises for a few markets as well. Philly, Chicago, DC/Baltimore, SF Bay Area to name a few.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Thanks!
As in right now having already spent hundred of millions and just recently? That would have to be Rogers/Bell jointly in their acquisition of MLSE this past spring at $1.32Billion. Even after deducting things like the ACC, the Ricoh, the Management Contract at BMO Field, the Raptor, Marlies & TFC, real estate holdings & commercial interests, jointly their still out one massive chunk of change in comparison to NBC's $200M payment for 12-13's broadcast rights....

Last edited by Killion: 11-24-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Lay's, Reebok, Ccm, Bauer, Ford, Chevy, Kraft, Boston Pizza, the Keg, RBC, Scotiabank, Safeway, McDonalds, Deloitte and Touche, Rexall, Tim Hortons just off the top of my head, TD bank, HSBC, Staples ( any arena sponsor )

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:24 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

If were talking money amounts Bell and Rogers bought Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment for a total of $1.32 billion. Besides the Maple Leafs they also own the Toronto Raptors, Toronto Marlies and Toronto FC.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:30 AM
SJeasy

Add Delaware North as biggie. It isn't how much the corp. is worth that was the question, it was which has the biggest financial footprint directly in the league.

My top two guesses would be NBC (Flyers, Comcast, etc.) and Bell/Rogers. Molson is probably third.

Last edited by SJeasy: 11-24-2012 at 01:51 AM.
SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:37 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Add Delaware North as biggie. It isn't how much the corp. is worth that was the question, it was which has the biggest financial footprint.

My top two guesses would be NBC (Flyers, Comcast, etc.) and Bell/Rogers. Molson is probably third.

Add in local media rights for Comcast in some areas; and Fox Sports various deals (e.g., $30 MM/yr for Red Wings).

MSG - Buffalo, NYR, NJD and Isles?

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 01:46 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Add in local media rights for Comcast in some areas; and Fox Sports various deals (e.g., $30 MM/yr for Red Wings).

MSG - Buffalo, NYR, NJD and Isles?
Forgot the tentacles on MSG. I wasn't clear on NBC because I was already including their RSNs (Det., Wash, SJ, Det., Chi, Bos, LA . . . are there others?).

Old
11-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Ernie

Tsn.

And it's not even close.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:06 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Forgot the tentacles on MSG. I wasn't clear on NBC because I was already including their RSNs (Det., Wash, SJ, Det., Chi, Bos, LA . . . are there others?).
Fox is separate from Comcast/NBC, afaik.

Fox Sports has Detroit and a few others, not sure off the top of my head...Arizona, Pittsburgh, SJ? Not sure who covers LA and Anaheim, Colorado?

Comcast has Chicago, obviously Philly.

NBC only carries the requisite national games, and then the playoffs.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:13 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:

Fox Sports has Detroit and a few others, not sure off the top of my head...Arizona, Pittsburgh, SJ? Not sure who covers LA and Anaheim, Colorado?

Fox Sports covers those two. Colorado is covered by some Rocky Mountain sports channel like thing, don't know the exact name.

Honda is another big sponsor. Honda Center, lots of dashboard ads, tv commercials, etc.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:17 AM
SJeasy

Quote:

Comcast definitely has BOS, Philly, Wash, Chi and SJ. Sorry on Fox. I got the Comcast lineup because they were giving out of market games on local feeds. Sharing within the company. Fox is definitely LA, Det., Pitt, AZ. Anaheim has multiple locals and I don't know who owns Altitude which is the Colorado RSN (could be Comcast as they share talent, Engblom). NBCSN uses talent from Colorado, Carolina, Dallas, NJ, Chi, and Philly.

Old
11-24-2012, 04:18 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Comcast definitely has BOS, Philly, Wash, Chi and SJ. Sorry on Fox. I got the Comcast lineup because they were giving out of market games on local feeds. Sharing within the company. Fox is definitely LA, Det., Pitt, AZ. Anaheim has multiple locals and I don't know who owns Altitude which is the Colorado RSN (could be Comcast as they share talent, Engblom). NBCSN uses talent from Colorado, Carolina, Dallas, NJ, Chi, and Philly.
Kroenke, owner of the Avalanche, also owns and founded Altitude.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:26 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Comcast definitely has BOS, Philly, Wash, Chi and SJ.
They do not have the Bruins. They play on NESN, which is owned 80% by the Red Sox and 20% by the Bruins. Only the Celtics play on CSN-NE.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:28 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Also, 'sharing talent' doesn't mean a thing as far as who owns who. We call that freelancing in the media world.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 11-24-2012 at 08:43 AM.
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Hammer8

If they kill the season and this goes into next year the corporation most invested will be Uncle Stan's Pawn Shop and Tire Repair.

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 08:57 AM
pt_mck

Molson-Coors

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:01 AM
saffronleaf

Comcast (NBC, NBC Sports Network, several RSNs, the Flyers) & Bell (partial interest in the Leafs & Habs, plus TSN, TSN2, RDS, NHL Network, TSN-Jets, etc.)

I'd say Comcast comes out on top, though. NBC pays $180M for the national broadcasting rights, whereas Bell pays just less than 100M. The partial interests in the Leafs and the Habs probably square with Comcast's interest in the Flyers. Then you add in the RSNs.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Habs Junkie

So basically...
Canada: Bell
USA: Comcast

Old
11-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Habs Junkie

The reason I wanted to know this is because I hear a lot of people saying boycott the NHL in order to protest. This will not work cause we all know we will be back once the doors open again. But if we all collectively boycott one major sponsor, it might be enough to get pressure on the NHL from this company to get the season started. Let's say all Canadian fans decided to cancel their Bell TV service, or call their subscriber and remove tsn from their subscriptions, do you think it would be enough to pressure the league in striking a deal? We can even take it further by listing all companies who carry ads on tsn and boycott them too. I think it can work.But we have to have many people on board.

Old
11-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
The reason I wanted to know this is because I hear a lot of people saying boycott the NHL in order to protest. This will not work cause we all know we will be back once the doors open again. But if we all collectively boycott one major sponsor, it might be enough to get pressure on the NHL from this company to get the season started. Let's say all Canadian fans decided to cancel their Bell TV service, or call their subscriber and remove tsn from their subscriptions, do you think it would be enough to pressure the league in striking a deal? We can even take it further by listing all companies who carry ads on tsn and boycott them too. I think it can work.But we have to have many people on board.
That might work if Comcast didn't effectively have regional monopolies in their cable markets (not sure what the current situation is like in Canada, but generally in the USA Comcast, Time Warner, etc stake out their territories and then don't fight each other).

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote