HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Legwand

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2005, 08:41 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
You obviously don't read my posts, as I have gone into great detail on why I'm not on high Legwand as an impact player in this league. Do you need me to re-hash?

Pro-Legwand-is-an-impact-player statements are usually reduced to "oh, he's a good backchecker, therefore he is the hardest woker on the team" and "he has good playmaking abilities" and "he has great potential" and "Trotz is holding him back". Pro-Legwand-is-an-impact-player posts are predictable and so generalized that it doens't mean anything (i.e. "he has scary skills").

Meanwhile, Lewgand contines to give the puck away more than any player on the team, he's one of the worst players in traffic on the team, he's about as effective as cotton candy when he's on the the boards, he's one of the weakest players on the team, he can't make things happen in the offensive zone unless he has oodles of space, etc, etc, etc.

I wasn't even talking about you. It's just funny that you petition for Arkhipov to get all sorts of chances and if we give up on him now we'll be sorry..when he's BY FAR weaker on the puck, weaker on the boards, and more tentative in the zone than Legwand. I know, I know, "but Legwand was the second overall pick,' and that's fine...I think Legwand's "problems" can be corrected through some weight traning and a nice scoring streak for confidence. I don't think Arhkipov's can be fixed so easily.

Old
01-28-2005, 09:14 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I wasn't even talking about you. It's just funny that you petition for Arkhipov to get all sorts of chances and if we give up on him now we'll be sorry..when he's BY FAR weaker on the puck, weaker on the boards, and more tentative in the zone than Legwand. I know, I know, "but Legwand was the second overall pick,' and that's fine...I think Legwand's "problems" can be corrected through some weight traning and a nice scoring streak for confidence. I don't think Arhkipov's can be fixed so easily.
Right, I'm sure you weren't referring to me.

First off, I'm not very pro-Arkhipov. Even when he potted 20 goals with limited ice time, I was expressing concerns about his overall motivation/laziness-level.

I do think he has potential if he ever gains work ethic and confidence (I question if that will ever happen). He is stronger than Legwand. IMO, he's stronger on the puck than Lewgand and stronger on boards, but that's not saying much at all. He's still has work to do.

I just bring up Arkhipov to compare. Arky has proven that he can score in this league (20g in limited time), yet he gets written off quicker than anyone on the team. Meanwhile, Legwand gets chance after chance to have a breakout year offensively, and it hasn't happened. And for every year that goes by, there's a new excuse for him. I can see Legwand being 30-years-old having never sored 20 goals, and the same people still claming he's an impact player.

Old
01-31-2005, 07:29 AM
lightning_legwand*

Legwand Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Old
01-31-2005, 08:49 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Arkhipov avoids contact at all cost.

I think it's funny that Erat is an offensive genius and Legwand is horrible offensively, when their point totals are quite similar but there defensive responsibilities are no what near the same in this system. Oh, it's the ice time that Legwand gets, right, I'd bet that on any given shift Legwand spends 10 more seconds in below the dots on defense as compared to Erat. Let me put it this way. If Legwand's only defensive responsibilty was to cover the defensemen at the point and forechecking, do you not think his point total would have increased dramatically?

Old
01-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Pred303

hard to make any judgements trying to compare legwand and erat numbers,about like trying to compare walker and timonen's performance based on numbers

while i admit legwand didn't bust out last year like i thought he was going to do number wise,it's not like he had a bad year at all....sure it's a disappointment he only scored 47 points in 82 games after the 48 in only 64 games the year before...all of this dropoff in production per game was actually on the pp though..last year only 12 points versus 18 points on the pp the year before in only 64 games...if you are the type of guy that measures people purely by numbers,being dropped off the 1st unit pp certainly cost legwand about 8-10 points on his point total last year...i think with full year pp time he would have been in the 55-60 point range and most of this conversation would never have materialized....and that's where i see him the next full year we play...near 60 points,right at the highest total ronning ever put up with us

and on the even strength side legwand played quite well last year,arguably better than year before last,remember we only had 4 guys with any amount of games with us on the plus side of the +/- stat...erat,leggy,eaton,walker...and while we all know that stat has limitations,it does show general trends of even strength performance

Old
01-31-2005, 11:12 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Arkhipov avoids contact at all cost.

I think it's funny that Erat is an offensive genius and Legwand is horrible offensively, when their point totals are quite similar but there defensive responsibilities are no what near the same in this system. Oh, it's the ice time that Legwand gets, right, I'd bet that on any given shift Legwand spends 10 more seconds in below the dots on defense as compared to Erat. Let me put it this way. If Legwand's only defensive responsibilty was to cover the defensemen at the point and forechecking, do you not think his point total would have increased dramatically?
You have no defensive assignments on the powerplay.

If you get PP time, points will come. Especially if you play regularly with Zidlicky, Timonen, etc (as Legwand did for 80% of the year). Nearly any Predator that has received consistent powerplay time has scored 40+ points (see Kjellberg, Krivokrasov in '98, Johnson in '98 + '99, Walker once he was promoted). And those guys didn't have the same weapons to work with that we have now.

Fact is, Legwand was booted off the powerplay because he was doing nothing. He was coughing up the puck way too much. He wasn't be creative at all. He was a weak preimeter player that didn't make things happen. He was a liability. Ya, he picked up some points, but that's what happens with you get first-line PP time (see Krivo, Kjellberg, Johnson, etc).

Points mean nothing to me. It's how you get the points. 90%+ of Legwand's points were run-of-the-mill points that any "average" NHL player would've gotten given the circumstances.

As for Erat... He makes the play happen most of the time. Legwand waits for the play to happen most of the time. That's the main offensive difference between them at this point in their career.

Old
02-01-2005, 09:22 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Fact is, Legwand was booted off the powerplay because he was doing nothing. He was coughing up the puck way too much. He wasn't be creative at all. He was a weak preimeter player that didn't make things happen. He was a liability. Ya, he picked up some points, but that's what happens with you get first-line PP time (see Krivo, Kjellberg, Johnson, etc).
So, you were at the locker rooms/meeting rooms/practices where the coaches said this?

Otherwise it's an opinion, not a fact.

Having said this, your opinion may be accurate.

Old
02-01-2005, 11:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Erat did perform better on the powerplay and Legwand better at even strength. I like both glad both are on the team. Both have areas they need to work on, both need to add size, Legwand needs to be more creative and get stronger on the puck, Erat needs to keep his head up and shoot more, how many times has Erat circled the zone deking everyone only to end up near the blueline where he dumps the puck right into the shin gaurds of the opposing team. How many times as Legwand blown by everyone only to pull up at the last minute and lose the puck.

On the flip side how many times has Erat made an unbelieveable pass right at the goal mouth for a tap in goal? How many times has Legwand scored that highlight reel goal or made a great play to give us the game? Both will be great players.

Old
02-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Pred303

you know this is what i don't get too....erat,legwand,hartnell,hamhuis...surely we all agree these guys are the keys to our future...and it seems like some actually want one or more of these youngsters to fail for some reason...i wouldn't touch a one of them...sure i want more,but they're all still 24 or less and coming along just fine in the grand scheme of things...me i'm not discouraged,dissappointed or impatient with where any of them are at all right now

Old
02-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Pred303 ... there is only one song that reminds me of your new avatar ... and it makes me hurl now to see your avatar

AC/DC's 'Whole Lotta Rosie'

Old
02-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Pred303

ok...whos the smartass that chnaged my avatar??...lol,pretty neat trick...do that to handtrick

Old
02-01-2005, 12:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

haha, i think he's the first preds poster that's ever been rosied.

Old
02-01-2005, 12:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
ok...whos the smartass that chnaged my avatar??...lol,pretty neat trick...do that to handtrick

I'm guessing an Admin saw the new avatar and viewed it a bit too "risque" for a "family board," because that's when Rosie appears.

Old
02-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Pred303

wtf?...how do you do that? should be against the law

Old
02-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
haha, i think he's the first preds poster that's ever been rosied.
no ... I was rosied a long time ago

Old
02-01-2005, 01:56 PM
handtrick

Quote:

my avitar is family friendly all they way man......serves you right....you have crossed the line with your 'dirty old man routine' one too many times big boy....

Old
02-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
my avitar is family friendly all they way man......serves you right....you have crossed the line with your 'dirty old man routine' one too many times big boy....
what do you mean...routine?

Old
02-01-2005, 02:05 PM
handtrick

Quote:
what do you mean...routine?
i'm sorry, your right....lifestyle would have been a better choice of words...

Old
02-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Radulov for Czar*

I have heard from a coach that Legwand's nickname is Muffin man, for all the muffin passes he makes.

Old
02-01-2005, 11:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
I have heard from a coach that Legwand's nickname is Muffin man, for all the muffin passes he makes.

It's true, he's no Tim Connolly.

Old
02-02-2005, 12:33 AM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
It's true, he's no Tim Connolly.
not all of us can be..

Old
02-02-2005, 07:47 AM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Hantrick: I hear that you signed on to take some lessons from Pred303......

Old
02-02-2005, 07:56 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson
Hantrick: I hear that you signed on to take some lessons from Pred303......

No signing on for me predperson, it is just fun to see the master at work....although I can still live vicariously through him, I guess...

Closed Thread