HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Another Canada-Russia series in the works?

Old
09-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Macman

vCash: 500
Another Canada-Russia series in the works?

The NHLPA is apparently proposing a new Canada-Russia series in the event of a lockout. I'm all for it, but it seems unlikely to me that the union would pitch anything that would exclude its membership from other countries.

What says you?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-russia-series

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Fulcrum

Ye, expect KHLPA has a season to play and contracts to tend to. Sounds great at first, until you think about it for a second- seems like an afterthought or somebody's dreamworld.

I'm pretty sure guys like Ovi and Malkin actually WANT to represent their KHL clubs given the opportunity, so this would just get in the way. Not to mention that Can vs Rus SERIES is just not the same at all, as it used to be in the 70's and 80's

Then there's the fact that it's just 2 countries, what about the rest of the world.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Then there's the fact that it's just 2 countries, what about the rest of the world.
Yeah, it makes no sense from that perspective alone. The union represents everyone, not just some.

Last edited by Macman: 09-14-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old
09-14-2012, 08:24 AM
espo*

Well, ignoring that their is a KHL season............how about a North America vs Europe series?

That would be pretty damn good.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:27 AM
espo*

Well, ignoring that there is a KHL season............how about a North America vs Europe series?

Old
09-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
Well, ignoring that their is a KHL season............how about a North America vs Europe series?

Seems very artificial- like an all star game. There is no real sport principal at steak. Considering the players wouldn't play it in a million years if there were an NHL season, therefore it's like an afterthought.

I wouldn't care for it.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:32 AM
espo*

I can see your point, the players very well might treat it like an all star game and we don't need any more of that type of yawn fest.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Macman

Quote:
I can see your point, the players very well might treat it like an all star game and we don't need any more of that type of yawn fest.
Which brings us back to Canada-Russia. It's always special and every bit as intense as during the Cold War. This wouldn't be an all-star game. It would be something to see.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:55 AM
espo*

I agree with that too...............no way a seven game Canada - Russia series get's treated like an all star game between the players on those two teams.

It would be for keeps like any matchup involving them.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Which brings us back to Canada-Russia. It's always special and every bit as intense as during the Cold War. This wouldn't be an all-star game. It would be something to see.
Yes, it's special. But it would definitely be too much too much of a good thing.

In 1972, was the First time the 2 best met and there was a huge reason, now it would be very redundant. It would also take the anticipation and excitement out of Olympics.

But most importantly, what is the purpose of these two meeting? Just to fill time? (which is exactly the case, since it's in the light of a lockout) That's a very poor motivation reason/excuse. It wouldn't be a competition of principals, which it used to be and could damage the rivalry.

If the lockout is long enough- we'll get best teams for WJC and that is pure and good competition.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
The matchup is always something to see, and would likely generate a great deal of fan interest. But there are all kinds of complications and problems. You mentioned the exclusion of Swedes, Czechs, Finns, Slovaks and others who are also members of the NHLPA. Also, there is the factor of alternative employment in the event of a lockout. If players want to play in the KHL (an awful lot of Canadians went to play in the RSL in 2005) or the AHL, what effect would that have on the leagues that want to tout their temporarily enhanced lineups? A Canada-Russia series would require at least a month for the players involved. I'd love to see it, but won't hold my breath for it to happen.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Also, there is no chemistry for an all-European team. You have vastly different societies and cultures, some of which have bad blood with the others over grievances that are centuries old. It would work well for NA, where Canada and the US have highly homogenous cultures and no history of animosity.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Yes, it's special. But it would definitely be too much too much of a good thing.

In 1972, was the First time the 2 best met and there was a huge reason, now it would be very redundant. It would also take the anticipation and excitement out of Olympics.

But most importantly, what is the purpose of these two meeting? Just to fill time? (which is exactly the case, since it's in the light of a lockout) That's a very poor motivation reason/excuse. It wouldn't be a competition of principals, which it used to be and could damage the rivalry.

If the lockout is long enough- we'll get best teams for WJC and that is pure and good competition.
I could see Russia being very interested as a way of assessing how they stand against Canada a year and a half before Sochi, which is the utlimate prize. And I think Canada would like to see how its players would perform on big ice. Still, I don't think the NHLPA would ever support a Canada-Russia series only.

Last edited by Macman: 09-14-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old
09-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Also, there is no chemistry for an all-European team. You have vastly different societies and cultures, some of which have bad blood with the others over grievances that are centuries old. It would work well for NA, where Canada and the US have highly homogenous cultures and no history of animosity.
Hey, if the Islander and Oiler players could peacefully co-exist during the '84 Canada Cup, anything is possible. I agree, though, that the chemistry would be missing during a Europe vs. NA tournament. Would anybody really care?

Last edited by Macman: 09-14-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old
09-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Mr Writer

not really interested in it, I'd prefer the boys just find places to play in Europe, try and make the year a typical hockey year as much as possible, and lets send the full team to the World Championship for once. If they do that, then I'll make the trip to Sweden for sure.

This story is possibly a plant from a source within the PA as a message to the owners. Our players will find all kinds of alternatives.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
This story is possibly a plant from a source within the PA as a message to the owners. Our players will find all kinds of alternatives.
This.

It's a stupid idea.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:35 PM
espo*

Yeah, it seems like that series doesn't make a lot of sense.

Too bad though, because if both teams could somehow overcome disinterest and any old grievances it would be very interesting to see who would come out on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post

Old
09-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Rob

Canada vs US makes more sense.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
It would be great, except you don't start planning a series like that when all hockey world is deep into a season. A series like that was suggested years ago and didn't find any support in the NHL, now suddenly everyone wants it?..

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Paxton Fettel

makes no sense with all the Russians playing in the KHL ... would they put their season on hold? nope.
I'd love a '72 rematch, but it won't happen

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:58 PM
JackSlater

It would be pointless, since a number of the best Russians play regularly in the KHL and thus aren't members of the NHLPA. Irrelevant though since it's such a ridiculous (fake) idea in the first place.

Last edited by JackSlater: 09-15-2012 at 08:41 PM.
JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Is it? Wouldn't the NHLPA be better off doing a World Cup like tourney? Shoot, you could even break it up an even more and do individual Canadian provinces. This whole Canada/Russia angle is played out.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
The only chance this happens is if Bilyaletdinov will ask for to test his Sochi team. I mean otherwise KHL won't break its season.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
The only chance this happens is if Bilyaletdinov will ask for to test his Sochi team. I mean otherwise KHL won't break its season.
Let's face it, Sochi trumps everything in Russia. If the powers-that-be decide a pre-Sochi test is in order, it will happen. Russia will do everything it can to prevent another Vancouver debacle. The KHL wouldn't need to take a break. Some teams would lose a player to two for a while, just like junior and KHL teams do during the WJC.

I still don't think a series will happen though. The story doesn't seem to be gaining any traction.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
This whole Canada/Russia angle is played out.
What do you base that on? They just held another Canada-Russia junior summit and the crowds were there once again.