HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilerrrr I Mean Barons '12-13 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2012, 02:33 AM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Apparently Marincin has tendinitis in his shoulder? Both of our Slovak D prospects out with shoulder problems. Crappy luck.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

Martindale might be the new y'know king
LOL, i counted when i watched it just for fun.

Thats 38 "you know's" from Martindale in less than 3 minutes. Pretty impressive.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:09 AM
OilGuns

vCash: 200
On Halls twitter someone asked him where he was playing This year and he said OKC , so hopefully this pretty much confirms it ?

I'm pretty bored. If you guys wanna fire some questions my way I'll do my best to answer them.
9:37pm - 5 Oct 12

@hallsy04 were are you playing this year ??
9:55pm - 5 Oct 12

@MattClement17 OKC

Last edited by OilGuns: 10-06-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old
10-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Even though he may have had a good game he'll probably still be playing in Stockton.

RNH, Green, Arcobello, Vande Velde, Lander, those are just off the top of my head. I suppose Green and Arcobello could play wing if need be, but it's not as if there's much room at the Inn right now.
If the Oilers really like what they see with Martindale it could be time to put Green and Arcobello on the wings and let him play C in the AHL full time. Lander and RNH are definitely NHL calibre, Vande Velde is up in the air and Green and Arcobello are probably not going to see the NHL.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:28 AM
Ragss

The girlfriend came home so thats why I disappeared there. I didn't really see much from Martindale, to be honest. At least I rarely noticed him.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:50 AM
40oz

Bunz tweets he's heading to Stockton

Old
10-06-2012, 04:28 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

Martindale might be the new y'know king
Lol well you know i got a good laugh out of that because you know someone really needs to tell the guy that he said you know like 37

Old
10-06-2012, 08:25 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I always feel impressed when watching a Fedun interview. Always professional and positive.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:27 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGuns View Post
On Halls twitter someone asked him where he was playing This year and he said OKC , so hopefully this pretty much confirms it ?

I'm pretty bored. If you guys wanna fire some questions my way I'll do my best to answer them.
9:37pm - 5 Oct 12

@hallsy04 were are you playing this year ??
9:55pm - 5 Oct 12

@MattClement17 OKC
I think it was already confirmed earlier he'd be playing for OKC. Will be awesome to see him, RNH, Eberle, PRV & Schultz playing together.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:34 AM
bewbies

Went to the game last night, here are my thoughts.

Both goalies played very well with some limited work. Roy had maybe 6-7 shots in 30 mins, Bunz had a few more. Both had one really good opportunity against that they made a nice save on but that was pretty much it. Roy looks like he moves very, very well and Bunz handles the puck well.

Schultz was every bit as good as advertised aside from him taking a penalty 3 seconds into his first shift. His style of play reminded me of Lidstrom (great skater but needs minimal movement, great vision, great on the point, seeing-eye shot). He was tidy in his end, fantastic in the offensive zone, and made a handful of passes that you just don't see from defensemen at this level. It is tough to tell after one game but based on that game at least he's the best defenseman I've seen in the AHL.

Fedun was very solid; was not as fast as he was (he used to be a great skater) but he still moved well and was very tough in his own end. Teubert was big and mean as usual, Dan Ringwald played a lot (first pairing with Schultz) and was solid. Tiegen Zahn was alright, he's pretty limited offensively but he didn't seem like a mess in his own zone.

The big surprise to me was Brandon Davidson. He was excellent at both ends, tough in his zone, very productive from the point, making some nice outlet passes. He was playing the #3 role so he ran the second PP unit and saw a lot of tough defensive minutes too. Based on last night I think he's probably the #2 guy on the depth chart. I was very impressed.

The forwards played fairly well as a unit but no one really stood out. Hamilton had a tough night, played hard but didn't get much done. Martindale was decent, not as good as his stat line would suggest. Arcobello, Cornet, Harski were all pretty much as expected. Rajala looked bad, couldn't control the puck and got pushed around a lot. I don't think he's ready for this level yet. Pelss worked hard and generated some chances but his skill level is marginal right now. Lander worked hard too, did well defensively and was tough on the forecheck. Abney was largely useless. I'm pretty sure Justin Maylan was playing but I don't remember him doing much so that probably doesn't bode well for him. Tyrvainen was great, being obnoxious and physical and whatnot plus he's turned into a very useful forward. He was maybe the best F on the ice last night.

Last night I'm pretty sure that Arco, Cornet, and Teubert were wearing As but I'm not positive. During the season I'd be very surprised if anyone but Green is the C, Arco and one of the veteran D would be my choice for the As.

Maybe the most surprising thing of the night to me was Mikael Granlund. I was expecting him to run wild against us but he was an absolute trainwreck. He was getting knocked down constantly, had probably half a dozen shots and passes blocked, couldn't find any space, even caused an offside by sheer laziness not wanting to tag up. He could have just had a bad game but based on what I saw he's going to have a tough season in the AHL.

edit - I neglected to mention two pieces of personal trivia. One of the linesmen last night was a guy who is so bad at reffing that he literally got fired from our beer league via captains' mutiny. Also my girlfriend insisted that I tell the internet that she was running the Barons penalty box last night and was very excited when Tyrvainen asked her for a towel.

Last edited by bewbies: 10-06-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old
10-06-2012, 10:09 AM
rockinghockey

Nice to see Schultz get one early in preseason

Old
10-06-2012, 10:13 AM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post

Both goalies played very well with some limited work. Roy had maybe 6-7 shots in 30 mins, Bunz had a few more. Both had one really good opportunity against that they made a nice save on but that was pretty much it. Roy looks like he moves very, very well and Bunz handles the puck well.

Schultz was every bit as good as advertised aside from him taking a penalty 3 seconds into his first shift. His style of play reminded me of Lidstrom (great skater but needs minimal movement, great vision, great on the point, seeing-eye shot). He was tidy in his end, fantastic in the offensive zone, and made a handful of passes that you just don't see from defensemen at this level. It is tough to tell after one game but based on that game at least he's the best defenseman I've seen in the AHL.

Fedun was very solid; was not as fast as he was (he used to be a great skater) but he still moved well and was very tough in his own end. Teubert was big and mean as usual, Dan Ringwald played a lot (first pairing with Schultz) and was solid. Tiegen Zahn was alright, he's pretty limited offensively but he didn't seem like a mess in his own zone.

The big surprise to me was Brandon Davidson. He was excellent at both ends, tough in his zone, very productive from the point, making some nice outlet passes. He was playing the #3 role so he ran the second PP unit and saw a lot of tough defensive minutes too. Based on last night I think he's probably the #2 guy on the depth chart. I was very impressed.

The forwards played fairly well as a unit but no one really stood out. Hamilton had a tough night, played hard but didn't get much done. Martindale was decent, not as good as his stat line would suggest. Arcobello, Cornet, Harski were all pretty much as expected. Rajala looked bad, couldn't control the puck and got pushed around a lot. I don't think he's ready for this level yet. Pelss worked hard and generated some chances but his skill level is marginal right now. Lander worked hard too, did well defensively and was tough on the forecheck. Abney was largely useless. I'm pretty sure Justin Maylan was playing but I don't remember him doing much so that probably doesn't bode well for him. Tyrvainen was great, being obnoxious and physical and whatnot plus he's turned into a very useful forward. He was maybe the best F on the ice last night.

Last night I'm pretty sure that Arco, Cornet, and Teubert were wearing As but I'm not positive. During the season I'd be very surprised if anyone but Green is the C, Arco and one of the veteran D would be my choice for the As.

Maybe the most surprising thing of the night to me was Mikael Granlund. I was expecting him to run wild against us but he was an absolute trainwreck. He was getting knocked down constantly, had probably half a dozen shots and passes blocked, couldn't find any space, even caused an offside by sheer laziness not wanting to tag up. He could have just had a bad game but based on what I saw he's going to have a tough season in the AHL.

edit - I neglected to mention two pieces of personal trivia. One of the linesmen last night was a guy who is so bad at reffing that he literally got fired from our beer league via captains' mutiny. Also my girlfriend insisted that I tell the internet that she was running the Barons penalty box last night and was very excited when Tyrvainen asked her for a towel.
Thanks for the great breakdown. I listened to the game. Sounded like Schultz, Davidson and Arcobello played very well.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:15 AM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

I was a little worried about Coyle and Granlund. We dominated. Add Nuge and Ebbs tonight.....look out. I think Nuge and Schultz are a match made in hockey PP heaven.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Baronsfan

Quote:

Last night the A's were Lander, Cornet, and Arcobello.

I agree with most, except on Davidson. If he makes this team, he won't be #2. Schultz, Marincin, Fedun, Teubert all are on his upstream imo.

Rajala is a guy I'd like to see play with more skilled guys as he seems pretty creative to me. On the 4th line with Abney, and Hunter he had his work cut out from the start. Don't see him making it out of camp, but there is potential there.

Granlund was invisible for the most part, and when he wasn't it wasn't in a good way. HOU iced arguably their best squad, and didn't generate much at all. Not a good showing from them.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:30 AM
jebs

Quote:

Thanks for the write up. What you say about Schultz pleases me greatly... HIGH FIVE!

Davidson sounded like he has a good game on the radio. Glad you confirmed it. Good for him.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Hahahaha, that color commentator. I feel so bad for his 'Aw shucks' tone.

"3rd star is.. Teemu... Hart..ik..ik...kue..ne..... Is that it?"
As far as I know, the closest Doug Sauter has ever come to a correct pronounciation of Teemu's name was last season, when he called him "Harkilainen". Once.
Most of the time, he'll just give up without even trying.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
I was a little worried about Coyle and Granlund. We dominated. Add Nuge and Ebbs tonight.....look out. I think Nuge and Schultz are a match made in hockey PP heaven.
nuge and ebs arent playing tonight either.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|EDM|home

Old
10-06-2012, 11:04 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oillio View Post
nuge and ebs arent playing tonight either.

No surprise. It's not like they're trying out for the team. I wonder what's up with Marincin's shoulder, though. Hope it doesn't need surgery like Gernat's.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:25 AM
scid14

vCash: 50
@OKC_Barons Bunz re-assigned to Stockton; Hunter & Maylan released from tryout agreement

Old
10-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Ciampa
The Barons are going with 10 skaters tonight who also played on Friday night but are mixing up the lines quite a bit. The top line tonight is Magnus Paajarvi, Josh Green and Tyler Pitlick. Dane Byers, Ryan Martindale and Toni Rajala make up the second unit. Third line is Curits Hamilton, Chris VandeVelde and Kristians Pelss and fourth line is Antti Tyrvainen, Tanner House and Cam Abney.

On defence, the team has only nine defencemen in camp and only eight healthy so four of the blueliners who played last night will also play tonight. Justin Schultz is paired with Brandon Davidson, Trevor Ludwig with Alex Plante and Tiegan Zahn with Taylor Fedun.

Yann Danis gets the start in goal and he's expected to go the distance.
Paajarvi - Green - Pitlick
Byers - Martindale - Rajala
Hamilton - VandeVelde - Pelss
Tyrvainen - House - Abney

Davidson - Schultz
Ludwig - Plante
Zahn - Fedun

Danis

Last edited by Soli: 10-06-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old
10-06-2012, 12:39 PM
jadeddog

martindale getting another look... if he has another good game he might just stick with OKC and not get sent to stockton like we were all assuming he would

hamilton getting another chance as well

Old
10-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
martindale getting another look... if he has another good game he might just stick with OKC and not get sent to stockton like we were all assuming he would

Speaking of looks... Davidson getting some primo ice time paired with Schultz.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Bouch1337

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Paajarvi - Green - Pitlick
Byers - Martindale - Rajala
Hamilton - VandeVelde - Pelss
Tyrvainen - House - Abney

Davidson - Schultz
Ludwig - Plante
Zahn - Fedun

Danis
I'm interested to see the davidson-schultz pairing. All that i have read on davidson is responsible with the puck good defensively. Being paired with shultz could have a very good puck possession d pairing.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
No surprise. It's not like they're trying out for the team. I wonder what's up with Marincin's shoulder, though. Hope it doesn't need surgery like Gernat's.
He apparently played in a scrimmage game yesterday afternoon according to the stats on the Oil site and picked up an assist. Sounds like he will likely be back for the start of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post

Yeah he might. At least until Hall comes down at any rate.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:25 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Speaking of looks... Davidson getting some primo ice time paired with Schultz.
yeah i've always though the team had plans for davidson, they always seem to talk glowingly about him... i don't know if he'll stick in OKC this year, but i would imagine he'll be there once the lockout ends ... still don't see him as anything more than bottom-pairing/trade throw-in myself, but i've been known to be wrong before, lol

Closed Thread