HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilerrrr I Mean Barons '12-13 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 04:49 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
OK, thanks. Wasn't aware of what the agreement or funding model is. This doesn't change that an affiliate operated by the Oilers could be a money maker in say Red Deer or Ft. Mac as I suggested.

But I can't imagine any scenario where OKC would be responsible for flying all the players in/out or management, or scouts or coaching staff. Which is regularly occurring.

This is an Oilers org once again failing to seize an opportunity. No reason not to play some games here either.
I suggested the Fort Mac thing in a different thread a couple of weeks ago. They are planning on building an 11k seat arena up here in the next year or two. And with the amount of people that show up to watch AJHL games here, I'm pretty sure the AHL would be a slam dunk. People up here are dying for something interesting to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Not sure if its been mentioned, but is it known when a Barons game is going to be televised on normal tv?

Old
10-23-2012, 02:58 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Barons new season intro video from the home opener against San Antonio.

Holy crap this is bad...

Old
10-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Holy crap this is bad...
Yeah I seem to remember the one last year being better than this one.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I suggested the Fort Mac thing in a different thread a couple of weeks ago. They are planning on building an 11k seat arena up here in the next year or two. And with the amount of people that show up to watch AJHL games here, I'm pretty sure the AHL would be a slam dunk. People up here are dying for something interesting to do on a Saturday afternoon.
Yes you did. Sorry to piggyback on the idea and I forgot who said it but knew I'd read it here somewhere. It was a good idea and one worth considering I thought.

I wonder how much Junior Hockey and Hockey Canada might be involved in dissuading the AHL from saturating the Canadian market. Seems odd that theres currently so few Canadian teams. Also, a bit weird that the Oilers formerly went with Canadian locations like Cape Breton but always far away from here. I have no idea why the notion is that an affiliate needs to be far away from the main location of the org. Its counter-intuitive and inefficient.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yes you did. Sorry to piggyback on the idea and I forgot who said it but knew I'd read it here somewhere. It was a good idea and one worth considering I thought.

I wonder how much Junior Hockey and Hockey Canada might be involved in dissuading the AHL from saturating the Canadian market. Seems odd that theres currently so few Canadian teams. Also, a bit weird that the Oilers formerly went with Canadian locations like Cape Breton but always far away from here. I have no idea why the notion is that an affiliate needs to be far away from the main location of the org. Its counter-intuitive and inefficient.
It's not really odd when you look at where the majority of the teams are located. Then keep in mind that it's not the NHL, but a league that uses a lot of buses.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Travel is the big factor with the league. I believe St.Johns and Abbotsford have to pay to fly teams in

Old
10-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It's not really odd when you look at where the majority of the teams are located. Then keep in mind that it's not the NHL, but a league that uses a lot of buses.

Please don't tell me Abbotsford buses coast to coast for an away game after a home or vice-versa. And the Canucks complain about their timezone...

Old
10-23-2012, 11:12 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Please don't tell me Abbotsford buses coast to coast for an away game after a home or vice-versa. And the Canucks complain about their timezone...
They don't, but that's just it. Most of the other teams can bus from city to city. The AHL isn't a league with a ton of money to throw around like the NHL.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I love that intro video.
The pucks having explosive smoke reminds me of this.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:53 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:

Actually your map shows the reason for my idea even more so. My idea wasn't only for the Barons to go to Fort Mac. I also think the Heat should move to Red Deer, the Wolves to Abbotsford, and St. Johns to Regina/Saskatoon/Brandon

Old
10-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Bryanbryoil

Abney has been reassigned to Stockton.

Notables in Stockton:
Cornet 4gp. 2-2-4 Ev 14 sog.
Zahn 4gp. 1-2-3 +3 13pim.
Rajala 4gp. 1-0-1 Ev 9 sog.
Tyler Bunz 3gp. 1-1-1-0 1.67 GAA 1 SO 0.925 sv%

10-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Abney has been reassigned to Stockton.

Notables in Stockton:
Cornet 4gp. 2-2-4 Ev 14 sog.
Zahn 4gp. 1-2-3 +3 13pim.
Rajala 4gp. 1-0-1 Ev 9 sog.
Tyler Bunz 3gp. 1-1-1-0 1.67 GAA 1 SO 0.925 sv%
Bunz is playing lights out, just like Roy last year, it bodes well.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:15 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Actually your map shows the reason for my idea even more so. My idea wasn't only for the Barons to go to Fort Mac. I also think the Heat should move to Red Deer, the Wolves to Abbotsford, and St. Johns to Regina/Saskatoon/Brandon
That would be the key, get more teams to make it cheaper but do the teams want to do that.

Other question is why does Calgary look at Red Deer now and not when they originally put the Heat in Abbotsford?

Old
10-23-2012, 01:36 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
That would be the key, get more teams to make it cheaper but do the teams want to do that.

Other question is why does Calgary look at Red Deer now and not when they originally put the Heat in Abbotsford?
I think a lot of it was the ownership not wanting to cut the Sutters throats when it comes to putting a team in a city he already owned a team.

I've never really understood the placement of AHL teams, it doesn't really make sense that they put so many semi-pro teams in areas that hockey is a dead market. If you look at that map, the entire area of the northern midwest in the US is left open plus the entire Canadian market.

Hell I doubt as many people would even notice the NHL is gone right now if there were 6-10 AHL teams in Canada. Which would be easy to support. IMO Canadian cities that can hold AHL teams are: St. Johns, Halifax, Fredricton, Quebec City (if they don't get an NHL team soon), Hamiliton, Brandon, Regina, Saskatoon, Lethrbridge, Red Deer, Fort McMurray, Abbotsford and Victoria. The AHL could probably be a profitable league in a situation like that.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
I think a lot of it was the ownership not wanting to cut the Sutters throats when it comes to putting a team in a city he already owned a team.

I've never really understood the placement of AHL teams, it doesn't really make sense that they put so many semi-pro teams in areas that hockey is a dead market. If you look at that map, the entire area of the northern midwest in the US is left open plus the entire Canadian market.

Hell I doubt as many people would even notice the NHL is gone right now if there were 6-10 AHL teams in Canada. Which would be easy to support. IMO Canadian cities that can hold AHL teams are: St. Johns, Halifax, Fredricton, Quebec City (if they don't get an NHL team soon), Hamiliton, Brandon, Regina, Saskatoon, Lethrbridge, Red Deer, Fort McMurray, Abbotsford and Victoria. The AHL could probably be a profitable league in a situation like that.
That would then be a threat to the CHL though.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:57 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
That would then be a threat to the CHL though.
Not really. Most CHL teams are in very small cities that couldn't handle an AHL franchise. I was just stating the cities that could hold an AHL team not the ones that definitely should. If there were 6 AHL teams in Canada that would not have any effect on the CHL. Maybe a couple of teams move to a new city but that would be about it.

Old
10-23-2012, 03:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Not really. Most CHL teams are in very small cities that couldn't handle an AHL franchise. I was just stating the cities that could hold an AHL team not the ones that definitely should. If there were 6 AHL teams in Canada that would not have any effect on the CHL. Maybe a couple of teams move to a new city but that would be about it.
Half the cities you mentioned have CHL teams though. It's been my impression that NHL teams try avoid putting AHL teams where CHL teams are.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:10 PM
bewbies

Quote:

Minor league sports are a much more challenging business model than I think you realize. In the cities you mention they'd be going head-to-head with junior teams, and in places like Minnesota, Wisconsin, et al they'd be competing with high school and college teams. This is tough for a few reasons: first, operating a pro hockey team is much more expensive than a junior or amateur team as you've got to pay the players, staff, coaches, etc far more money, and as such you will simply never be able to compete on price. Second, like college sports in the US, there is built-in community support for the local amateur teams that isn't present with a new minor league franchise. US college and even some high school games draw more fans than most minor pro sports because of this.

The reason why big American cities are attractive for the AHL is, first, they are not competing directly with enormously popular amateur hockey teams. They have whatever hockey market there might be largely cornered, and though the market might be small, any growth that occurs in said market will go entirely to the team. Of course they must compete with other sports and entertainment options, but the hockey market specifically belongs to them and them alone and this is an attractive advantage. Second, these cities have a much more robust economy, and as such the potential market, if it can be developed, is far lucrative in the long term. When you couple the greater price sensitivity for consumers in a smaller town with the fact that there is a cheaper established option for hockey in said town it seriously limits the potential market.

Old
10-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Oilerdiehard

One thing I find interesting with all the they have to compete against this or that talk.

I look at the Chicago Wolves. They generally are always near the top of the league in attendance.

Yet they have an NHL team, two Major League Baseball teams, an NFL team, an NBA team etc... etc... all competing for the same sports fans dollars.

You would think looking at face value it is a suicide mission attendance wise putting an AHL team there yet the Wolves thrive.

Jim Matheson
Unless it's a late-arriving crowd, family and friends only for Tuesday night hockey in OKCity.

Just out of curiosity with the contention that competing sports kill the crowd this time of year. Figured they must be going head to head last night with one of the big ones. But I checked and the Thunder did not play last night. The college football team did not play last night. I must admit I figured the NHLers would put more butts in the seats than usual this time of the year, but I guess not so much.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 10-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old
10-24-2012, 07:53 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
One thing I find interesting with all the they have to compete against this or that talk.

I look at the Chicago Wolves. They generally always near the top of the league in attendance.

Yet they have an NHL team, two Major League Baseball teams, an NFL team, an NBA team etc... etc... all competing for the same sports fans dollars.

You would think looking at face value it is a suicide mission attendance wise putting an AHL team there yet the Wolves thrive.

Jim Matheson
Unless it's a late-arriving crowd, family and friends only for Tuesday night hockey in OKCity.

Just out of curiosity with the contention that competing sports kill the crowd this time of year. Figured they must be going head to head last night with one of the big ones. But I checked and the Thunder did not play last night. The college football team did not play last night. I must admit I figured the NHLers would put more butts in the seats than usual this time of the year, but I guess not so much.
Maybe they should alter their car give away promotion to occur in every game these kids play before the lockout ends (rather than every Saturday night). If Oklahomans can't be turned onto the game after watching Schultz, Eberle, Hall and RNH suit up for their team, I don't think they can be turned on at all.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

If a hockey game falls in the forest...

So attendance is just over 2k last night. Pull the plug, put this team somewhere that fans actually care. Theres gotta be someplace in Alberta and Saskatchewan where they could put the team. The benefits also being tourism from primarily Edmontonians(or fans from different regions) and massively increased attendance.

The attendance in OKC is in a word pathetic for this nature of hockey club. Time to cut losses and move on.

Do something, show some creativity, gets some games played elsewhere, maybe even here, and get on some production of these games. Oil brass are flying in and out of games from Edmonton anyway. Why not carry along a small film crew to do some Oilers centred coverage of some Barons games.

Everybody dropping the ball bigtime on this. All the sports channels covering barely any games, Barons not on once yet, but gotta see all that poker crap on telly. pffft, If it wasn't for CFL play I wouldn't even pay for the sports channels right now.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:26 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

The play of Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom and Musil up until this point has me very excited about the future of our blueline. It's also proof that you don't need to use 1st overall picks to build your back end, like everyone seems to think we need to do.

I gotta wonder how much better OKC would look if Klefbom were here too.

Old
10-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
The play of Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom and Musil up until this point has me very excited about the future of our blueline. It's also proof that you don't need to use 1st overall picks to build your back end, like everyone seems to think we need to do.

I gotta wonder how much better OKC would look if Klefbom were here too.
Should have drafted Murray

Old
10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
bewbies

Quote:
I look at the Chicago Wolves. They generally always near the top of the league in attendance.

The Chicagoland area is about 8 times larger than OKC is, plus hockey is a lot more popular there.

Closed Thread