HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Moving to the West Valley

Old
08-29-2012, 04:49 PM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Moving to the West Valley

I'll be working at I-10 and Watson. I know that's in Buckeye, but not too far from Avondale at all. I was curious, any of you with any idea if there are reasonably prices apartments that aren't in the ghetto lol. I'm still only going to be in training, so I won't be making what I will be making eventually.

I'll be moving down in about a month I'm guessing. Everywhere I read says your rent should be about 25% of your monthly income?

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Colt45Blast
Torres FTW

Somethings I recommend doing.

1. Rent a room and there are plenty to be found on Craigslist at a reasonable price.
2. If you are willing to pay more but don't to be tied to a short term or long term lease, look into getting room in a nice nice area that charges weekly or month to month.
3. If you have the credit and the down payment, buy a condo or a small home and rent out the unused bedrooms to others.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 01:21 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
I'll be working at I-10 and Watson. I know that's in Buckeye, but not too far from Avondale at all. I was curious, any of you with any idea if there are reasonably prices apartments that aren't in the ghetto lol. I'm still only going to be in training, so I won't be making what I will be making eventually.

I'll be moving down in about a month I'm guessing. Everywhere I read says your rent should be about 25% of your monthly income?
Just be sure to find something close to the JOB.... you've got to keep your priorities in order.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:49 AM
yotesreign

Quote:

Do you know how much you are prepared to spend on rent & utilities per month, if you need month to month or can do a 12 month lease and if you want to rent a house or an apartment?

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 07:41 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
You may want to check in Goodyear an Litchfield Park. They're a little farther away from Buckeye but are a little more established. Litchfield Park would put you 10 minutes or less from the arena.

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:30 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
Do you know how much you are prepared to spend on rent & utilities per month, if you need month to month or can do a 12 month lease and if you want to rent a house or an apartment?
Well, I don't know if I want a 12 month lease. This is just a temporary stay while I get my training. I don't know where I will be working at once that is over with. Right now, I'd be making $1600 minimum a month, but more likely $2000 a month. After my full training, I should get bumped up to a good amount more, but that's where I'm sitting at right now.

My paycheck for 1 week is $400 if I do the minimum. I don't know how viable it is to find a place for $400, and my goal is to get rent taken care of with just 1 paycheck.

Old
08-31-2012, 11:31 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
You may want to check in Goodyear an Litchfield Park. They're a little farther away from Buckeye but are a little more established. Litchfield Park would put you 10 minutes or less from the arena.
LOL I'm not concerned about the Arena tbh, I'm concerned about getting to and from work.

Old
09-01-2012, 12:25 AM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

Quote:
LOL I'm not concerned about the Arena tbh, I'm concerned about getting to and from work.
You need to get your priorities straight.

Old
09-01-2012, 12:50 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Let's put it this way. If I"m anywhere in the west valley, I'm alot closer to the arena than I am now in Prescott, and when I was going to school in Flagstaff lol.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Quote:
Quote:

I agree, we were lucky to find a place very close, I am hoping we don't end up moving later due to a job change.

It sounds like renting a room on CL is good advice, if your income will go up later, also many suggest (to us anyway) it's good to rent something small then get to know the area for awhile, and more areas in the valley, then you can settle on something more permanent once you get a feel for the area and what you like.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 11:36 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushiko View Post

I agree, we were lucky to find a place very close, I am hoping we don't end up moving later due to a job change.

It sounds like renting a room on CL is good advice, if your income will go up later, also many suggest (to us anyway) it's good to rent something small then get to know the area for awhile, and more areas in the valley, then you can settle on something more permanent once you get a feel for the area and what you like.
What is CL? I know that for now, this is just temporary. I know what I'm making now, and need to budget around that. My income will increase, and I will be able to find something better at some point, but I have some self respect and don't want to be living in a dump, or living in an area where I have to worry about crime, etc.

Old
09-01-2012, 03:52 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

Quote:
What is CL?
Craigs List.

Old
09-09-2012, 03:13 PM
awfulwaffle

After some searching, it appears that the Newport Apartment Homes in Avondale(1 block south of the 10), has openings, and it's $565 a month.

I have to ask, for people living in the valley, I know a house is much bigger than an apartment, but what is your electric bill a month, if you don't mind sharing. If you want to PM me, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just trying to budget around what I make.

Old
09-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

vCash: 1329
I think my 2 bedroom town house was 75-100 a month and my 3 bedroom house is close to 150 in the summer. Half those costs in the winter.

Rebranded Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 03:48 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
I think my 2 bedroom town house was 75-100 a month and my 3 bedroom house is close to 150 in the summer. Half those costs in the winter.
75-100 a month? That's it? Or do you mean 750-1000?

Old
09-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

Quote:
75-100 a month? That's it? Or do you mean 750-1000?
I just mean the electricity. Rent at the townhouse was 850 a month in Scottsdale

Old
09-10-2012, 12:30 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
I just mean the electricity. Rent at the townhouse was 850 a month in Scottsdale
Yeah, I thought about that as soon as I posted it, but was having to go to work, so I was just like "eh I'll leave it as is and look like a retard".

What did you normally leave the thermostat at? I'm sure I'll be just fine once I move in, and just know what I need to budget. I just want to save some extra money, and also have some bonus $$ to do things, like a Suns game or Coyotes game and such.

Old
09-10-2012, 07:21 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
That's a lot cheaper than what I pay for elec for my 3 bedroom house. My elec bill was almost $400 last month.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:09 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

4 bedroom, two story house peaks around $250 in the summer, under $100 in the winter. Have really good insulation.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 04:37 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
4 bedroom, two story house peaks around $250 in the summer, under $100 in the winter. Have really good insulation.
We used to live in surprise and had a 2600 sq foot home. Two story, 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath. We were around 400 in the summer, easy.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:31 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
We used to live in surprise and had a 2600 sq foot home. Two story, 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath. We were around 400 in the summer, easy.
Yeah I used to think the neighbors were somehow siphoning off my elec. But we have several tvs, dvrs, a pool, a spa, three refrigerators, a
2100 sf block house that could probably be better insulated. I could probably go solar photovoltaic and actually see a savings in my lifetime...

Old
09-10-2012, 08:10 PM
doaner

Quote:
Yeah I used to think the neighbors were somehow siphoning off my elec. But we have several tvs, dvrs, a pool, a spa, three refrigerators, a
2100 sf block house that could probably be better insulated. I could probably go solar photovoltaic and actually see a savings in my lifetime...
We had a pool too. Never thought about that.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:34 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
We did go solar PV about 3 years ago. It cost us $37K - $9K to extend the covered patio the entire length of the house (something we had wanted to do anyway) and the rest for the solar.

Our bills were on average $167/month. Since getting solar, we are paying nothing at all for the first 6 months of the year, then about $20 per month for the rest of the year.

Without counting the increase in the market value of the home, we calculated breaking even at 9 years. That was just counting $167/month multiplied by the number of months. Of course, APS raises rates every single year - and the past two years have been particularly hot - so I'm thinking $167 is very conservative. I'm about 95% certain that by now the monthly bill would be at least $200.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:37 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
We did go solar PV
Do you have to insure them or add them to your normal home policy?

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Rebranded Fan
naurutger's hero

Well I just checked and it was $200 bucks this month for our 1488 square foot house but we only have two people and no pool. But I keep it at 80 degrees which is higher than others.