HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gillis: Potential Return For Luongo May Not Improve Canucks **Mod Warning #86**

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2012, 06:54 PM
RECsGuy*

vCash: 500
Gillis: Potential Return For Luongo May Not Improve Canucks **Mod Warning #86**

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405139

More company line stuff, with the exception of this comment by MG...

Quote:
The Canucks are expected to take on a big contract to offset the costs that the other team inherits in Luongo's deal. Gillis said the Canucks will listen to all presented options, and a deal could involve three teams.

"It has to give us an opportunity to be different," Gillis said. "I don't think you replace an all-star goalie and necessarily feel you have to be better -- but you have to be different."
Is Gillis softening on his demand?

Sounds like he's getting plenty of cap-dump offers with that line.

Old
09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Gillis knows he cant win. Just accepting reality.

Old
09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

"three teams": VAN - FLA - TOR?

EDIT: Example:
1. Luongo to FLA
2. Theodore to TOR
3. TOR draft pick + FLA prospect + FLA roster player to VAN

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 09-12-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old
09-12-2012, 06:57 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

addition by subtraction I suppose.

Its hard to get rid of the best player in the deal and make your team better at that time. Down the road you may win, however.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:01 PM
StringerBell

I doubt he's softening. If there's no trade by Saturday then there's no trade until the end of the lockout. Gillis sounds like he's pretty content to wait until after.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:02 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Why Toronto? Theodore going their way maybe?

Old
09-12-2012, 07:02 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Oh dear god... What. Have. You. Done.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawandapuck View Post
"three teams": Van - fla - tor?
cbj - phi - win

Old
09-12-2012, 07:03 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post

I don't think so. There are some important parts of the article that you are missing.

1.) Trade may involve three teams.
2.) Solid offers made, but nothing that has swept that off his feet.
3.) Assets / Players that are being offered are something that we have a part of the Canucks already (hence the term different)

That's what I got out of it. I don't think his stance has changed. I just think that he doesn't want someone that is a bag of pucks.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:04 PM
RECsGuy*

If Luongo is riding the pine (because he's not getting traded if Schneider poops himself), wouldn't getting almost anything for Roberto improve the Canucks? You'd be getting assets for a player who'd playing once a week, tops, at that point.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:09 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
I doubt he's softening. If there's no trade by Saturday then there's no trade until the end of the lockout. Gillis sounds like he's pretty content to wait until after.
According to the TSN article, if Luongo isn't moved by Sept. 15, he must remain a Canucks until the new CBA is in place, so you aren't making much of a "prediction."

Old
09-12-2012, 07:11 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
According to the TSN article, if Luongo isn't moved by Sept. 15, he must remain a Canucks until the new CBA is in place, so you aren't making much of a "prediction."
I'm predicting that he won't suddenly give away an all star goalie for nothing in order to rush a very complicated deal. I agree, not much of a prediction.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Hammer79

I think they will split duties. There's no reason to staple of goalie of Luongo's caliber to the bench. They will want Luongo to get his share of starts in so he doesn't go cold before they move him. If he isn't moved by the trade deadline, they will go with whoever is hot in the playoffs.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
I don't think Gillis is softening in the least, or preparing people for a bad return. From what I've seen of Gillis, he won't let himself be pressured into a bad deal where he gets nothing of value and takes on a cap dump. I doubt the Canucks will be getting a top player for Luongo, but I still expect some good pieces, not just random crap.

Of course, some Leaf fans are going to take this out of context to excuse more brutal proposals for Luongo

Old
09-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Luongo to Tampa Bay, Malone to NJ and Tallinder + Garon to Vancouver.

Dunno maybe?

Old
09-12-2012, 07:16 PM
deckercky

Quote:
If Luongo is riding the pine (because he's not getting traded if Schneider poops himself), wouldn't getting almost anything for Roberto improve the Canucks? You'd be getting assets for a player who'd playing once a week, tops, at that point.
If he keeps Luongo short term, it lets him play Luongo 40% or so of the time and eases his young starter into the role. Better than getting a backup you can't rely on and having to play Schneider 70 games.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:18 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post

Dunno maybe?
Only really makes sense for NJ. Vancouver gets absolutely hosed.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:20 PM
TOML

He's already replaced him. So any addition in a non-goaltending position technically makes his team better. On paper.

If that addition underperforms (and you know he will), then it's a reversal of the Luongo trade that made him a Canuck in the first place.

Then again maybe he's getting nothing at all. Picks. 2nd tier prospect. Meh.

Can't wait for this to end.

TOML

Old
09-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Luongo to Tampa Bay, Malone and Tokarski to NJ and Zubrus + Tallinder to Vancouver...?

Old
09-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Only really makes sense for NJ. Vancouver gets absolutely hosed.
Why? They get a good backup goalie and a decent D man.

Luongo isn't a salary dump but getting rid of that horrid contract would have to be a considered a win in that situation.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:23 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post

Dunno maybe?
Malone wouldn't be a dump, We need Garon. And your proposal is horribad.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:24 PM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
If he keeps Luongo short term, it lets him play Luongo 40% or so of the time and eases his young starter into the role. Better than getting a backup you can't rely on and having to play Schneider 70 games.
I see them playing about 50% of the games each, with one of them getting up to 15% more starts if they are playing lights out. for those of you who are math challenged that works out to nearly 2/3 of the starts.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:26 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:

But, how can trading an all-star bring a better return? Returning a Super All-Star? At best, Gillis could reasonably expect an all-star back... An all-star who plays a different position... I guess that would make the Canucks better... If Gillis is conceding anything, I think it's that he's getting a NHL all-star forward or defenseman back for Roberto Luongo...

If it's different, I take that to maybe mean prospects / picks... A prospect with the potential to be a future all-star one day doesn't make the Canucks better... As an example, Bjugstad doesn't make the Canucks better, than if the Canucks kept Luongo... Bjugstad isn't even on the team...

-------------------

And this is the "more company line stuff"...

Quote:
But Luongo was at a Canucks charity golf tournament on Wednesday, and he said he would have no trouble playing alongside his friend Schneider again and will attend Vancouver’s training camp, if necessary.

“Two months ago, after what had happened, and Schneids had just signed, I didn’t really see myself being here for training camp,” Luongo said. “But I realized once we got into August, that that was a possibility, and that I was OK with that.”

He showed he was OK by participating in the Canucks’ annual event, golfing with teammates and team staff at Northview Golf Course.

“The fact that I have a lot of good friends on the team, in the staff and the coaching staff and the organization, makes it a lot easier for me to be here,” he said. “That’s why I’m here today, and I didn’t really hesitate in deciding whether I should come or not.”
Quote:
“I’m just here to play, man,” Luongo said. “That’s all I want to do. I’m going to play and work hard like I always do -— and the cards will fall where they may.”

Gillis said he was not surprised that Luongo accepted an invitation to participate in the golf tournament because the goaltender has always taken a team-first approach.

The GM said teams have pursued Luongo and presented “solid” trade proposals, but the Canucks have not yet received an offer to their liking.

“We’re going to do our best to make sure that Roberto is taken care of whether he is here or somewhere else,” Gillis said. “We’re going to look at his best interests, but also look at ours.”
Quote:
Gillis said the Canucks will listen to all presented options, and a deal could involve three teams. “It has to give us an opportunity to be different,” Gillis said. “I don’t think you replace an all-star goalie and necessarily feel you have to be better — but you have to be different.”
Quote:
“Whatever the future holds is going to be fine with me,” Luongo said.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4540897/

Old
09-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Justice. Captain? Contract that takes you to 42? Nothing on Lou, poor asset management just shouldn't be rewarded.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:29 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Gillis isn't content -- he has tried hard to make a deal and been unable to. At first Gillis denied that Luongo wanted out but it became all to obvious. He's been trying for months and hasn't suceeded. He's now realizing he will need to make a lesser deal.

Having Luongo back in a Nucks jersey riding the pine is not an option. Anyone with a dose of reality knows this.

Be interesting to see if he goes to FLA.

Closed Thread