HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evander Kane Re-Signs (6 years, $31.5m/5.25m per)

Old
09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Listened to the hockey updates on 1290 today , at least we have coverage !

I have envisioned Kane ending up with Scheifele down the road and feel more confident of that after today. Chevy , Shane Hnidy et all describe what will take Kane to another level and I think that will come with them playing on the same line.Their games mesh well together and both can help improve the others overall game imo. Scheifele sees the ice well , can distribute the puck and is more of a playmaker than shooter to be sure.

Kane is a shooter and goal scorer , he hungers to get shots on net and to score , this is something this team needs and when he learns to find open ice , the high slot better ,his overall game and production will increase. It may be a year away but I think we have 2/3's of a very very good line here , and I would like to see how Telegin fits in with those two next year.

Chevy has done pretty much everything right this off season , and I like when asked about what he will do with the lock out , one of the first things mentioned was scouting. This will be an important year for the Jets re the draft , for sure an extra 2nd and third and maybe another 2nd in a very strong , deep draft. We can move up for a player if that is deemed warranted or build the base up substantially by keeping the extra picks. Either way , the young talent base will be improved.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Potrzebie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Not sure if this is what you meant from my Jets statistical analysis thread (available to all of you on the second page):

But ask and ye shall receive... I'll make one special for here:
Yeah that's the stuff I'm talking about! One thing my ex boss taught me is it's hard to argue with a guy armed with facts and figures (although some will try). I appreciate the hard work you put into that stuff, I find it very informative and entertaining.

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:20 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
I want to see a lot more of Wheeler and Kane together this year (you know, provided there is a season) I think their games fit so well together two big fast guys Kane is the shooter Wheeler the passer and one of the guys that can truly keep up to Kane's speed. If Kane picks his head up a little more and starts to see the ice better as he continues to develop I think they can be absolutely dynamite together. I think Olli would look good between them as well.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:57 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

All solid points and many are probably right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Urgh god I hope not! Kane is COMPLETELY lost on the PP. Cannot find seems, cannot find the soft areas, just not a very good PP player. Wonderful 5v5 player, one of the best no doubt, but he is goddawful on the PP. This will be a disaster, IMO. Develop blah blah, but hockey sense, the ability to read a defense and play a PP is something that you have or you don't IMO. I've watched guys from 10 years old that instinctively know where to be on the ice, regardless of their skill level...and others that just have no clue. Kane can dominate with his physical skills, he will not be a PP player, IMO.
IMO from watching I thought Kane wasn't lost on the PP. I thought he did almost as well on the PP as Ladd, although neither I would put as extraordinary (although Jokinen was a PP monster at CGY) I thought that they were both solid and close... I was more thinking it as Kane-Jokinen being a pair and Ladd-Little being a pair. The other reason why I'd like that is because I think Ladd does better against tough even strength minutes and PK so (if I had the reigns) I would hope that would push the team overall...
Either way, it wouldn't make that much of a difference because they both got lots of PP time last season. I guess we'll just have to disagree here.
PS I agree with the notion you hinted at: not putting someone in a situation just for development sake

Quote:
I don't get how this does NOT make him one dimensional. His dimension is scoring goals. He is very good at that. But maybe he fit better in that role when Little, Burmistrov had to be the defensive role on the line, rather than when with Ladd Burmistrov/Little/Wheeler/etc were asked to be offensive. Just because it worked better with that mix does not mean Kane is good defensively, etc.

And agree that he is probably a solid PKer. But people have this impression that PK = good defensively. It DOES NOT. It helps somewhat, but it's quite different. Some of the best PKers are terrible defensively. PK is all about speed and hard work (blocking shots would fall in this). It's out working your opponent. Defensive play is about positioning, getting the puck out (puck control), smart play. 5v5 defense you have to know your position, you have to be able to anticipate and be in proper position. PK is more about skating hard, getting to your guy and hammering the puck down the ice.
A possibility, and it is true that the defensive capabilities lie more on the centre than the wingers. My point was using this to back up what I thought I saw: That yes Kane specializes in goal scoring and this shows it, but the shot reduction was sometimes better with Kane and sometimes better with Ladd. Ladd is not a one-way style player; so if Kane was just outshooting than his shot reduction wouldn't likely have been as equal to Ladd... but as I said, you could be right.

100% agree with your PK prognosis, but I still think that makes him not one-dimensional. I didn't say he was the best defensive player on the team or has great hockey sense... just that he isn't one dimensional so he can be used for various opportunities and tasks.

Quote:
One thing I have issue with, and it wasn't in this post but I have seen you (I think correct me if I'm wrong) and others state that Kane is not one-dimensional since he generates a lot of primary assists. I find that that statement is very short sighted. First of all, primary assists may be slightly more valuable than secondary, but they are generated so many different ways that I don't think much if anything can said about primary versus secondary assists. I would argue most of Kane's primary assists come mostly from the fact that he shoots...ie it's all rebounds his teammates score on. I fail to see how that makes him more of a complete player.
You are right in that a good number of Kane's assists were: Kane shoots, Welly gets the rebound and score...
But I saw a lot of good plays too. For example I saw a lot of Kane setting up a play from behind the net, he wasn't as good as at this Wheeler but he was solid (I've been re-watching a lot of the games as study breaks lately... ****ing lockout).

In the end I guess it's a bit of semantics... Some say Kane is one dimensional; I'm saying he's a stronger goalscorer than he is at other things but he isn't a weakling at those things either. I don't think he is amazing in everything or as good as some other players on non-goal scoring aspects of the game, but I think one-dimensional is selling him short.
There is no doubt in my mind that he's not a Dats 2way or a Sedin playmaker... but I have three pet peeves: when people say "one-dimensional", "streaky" or any comment in regard to work ethic that is related to ethnicity

Last edited by garret9: 09-17-2012 at 05:03 PM.
garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Hobble

Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Burmistrov-Little
Ponikarovsky-Antropov-Wellwood
Cormier-Slater-Machacek
Thorburn
Miettenen

Those are the lines I would have liked to see sometime in pre-season.

Hobble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:39 PM
van Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobble View Post
Kane-Jokinen-Wheeler
Ladd-Burmistrov-Little
Ponikarovsky-Antropov-Wellwood
Cormier-Slater-Machacek
Thorburn
Miettenen

Those are the lines I would have liked to see sometime in pre-season.
Kane - Burmistrov/Scheifele - Little

That's the line I'd try if I was the Jets coach, all three can be cornerstone forwards on the team, and it'd be great for you if they can develop some sort of chemistry.

edit: sorry for the bump.

81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Russian Spy

Can you tell me why the hell Kane looks so pathetic in KHL?

I'm Jets fan myself and i can't say that my eyes see the same Kane, he looks just bloody awful today's game -2 no defence no attack either no board play, offsides all the way, he plays like his hockey IQ got lower than one of an average amateur league player.

Sad to say but i'm so dissapointed, if you put your sign under contract play the bloody game, do it like professional, no matter what legue you're in.

Russian Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Spy View Post
Can you tell me why the hell Kane looks so pathetic in KHL?

I'm Jets fan myself and i can't say that my eyes see the same Kane, he looks just bloody awful today's game -2 no defence no attack either no board play, offsides all the way, he plays like his hockey IQ got lower than one of an average amateur league player.

Sad to say but i'm so dissapointed, if you put your sign under contract play the bloody game, do it like professional, no matter what legue you're in.
Well the Jets are struggling overseas. Pavelec has been terrible in the Czech league, Poni has just 1g in 7gp (on a really weak Donbass team but still), Antropov appears to be hurt (did not play yesterday) and now Kane does not seem like he is succeeding based on your report and 0pts, -2 in 3gp

Kane is mostly a north-south player so it's not THAT surprising he is not playing great over there, but his skating and shot should be effective over there. Give him some time though Russian Spy, remember he never got a training camp over anything, he is coming in cold so to speak.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 07:49 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Well the Jets are struggling overseas. Pavelec has been terrible in the Czech league, Poni has just 1g in 7gp (on a really weak Donbass team but still), Antropov appears to be hurt (did not play yesterday) and now Kane does not seem like he is succeeding based on your report and 0pts, -2 in 3gp

Kane is mostly a north-south player so it's not THAT surprising he is not playing great over there, but his skating and shot should be effective over there. Give him some time though Russian Spy, remember he never got a training camp over anything, he is coming in cold so to speak.
last time I checked Stapler was in the top 20 in scoring in the KHL and leading his team so we have that going for us

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:24 PM
JetsHomer

Uh guys...he's played three games. Bit early to panic lol

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:31 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Uh guys...he's played three games. Bit early to panic lol

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

This is the perfect time to panic!

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
last time I checked Stapler was in the top 20 in scoring in the KHL and leading his team so we have that going for us
Arturs Kulda is still leading all KHL defensemen in goals as well

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:57 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
This is the perfect time to panic!
That's a quote from from Toy story 3 Lynk (Rex)

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1500
Pavel Lysenkov ‏@plysenkov

Evander Kane - only 11 min ice time. Dynamo Minsk coach said he is in bad shape and not ready yet to play on KHL level. #jets

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Damn.

Old
10-08-2012, 12:37 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Evander Kane - only 11 min ice time. Dynamo Minsk coach said he is in bad shape and not ready yet to play on KHL level. #jets

Did he train with Buff in the off season?

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 01:39 AM
DespoticNewt

Evander Kane is still young and not taking his conditioning seriously. I imagine that he will be better in the future. It's a maturity thing. I imagine that the coach probably would have ripped into him if he showed up to training camp like that. He needs to spend less time galavanting around the globe in the off season.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 09:18 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Good lord

I dont know it I want to or

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:03 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

RE: Kane. There's being in good shape, and being ready to play hockey. I'll cut him some slack for not having a training camp.

That said, I do think that it's good for his development to have another coach bench him and call him out. Time for him to turn it around.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:47 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
RE: Kane. There's being in good shape, and being ready to play hockey. I'll cut him some slack for not having a training camp.

That said, I do think that it's good for his development to have another coach bench him and call him out. Time for him to turn it around.
I don't really get it...
First 2 games he totalled 11 shots on net... you don't pull that off if your out of shape as a winger... (don't try to use Byfuglien as an example against me he's an anomaly haha)...

I think it's just tough coaching because he hasn't "produced" yet

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:57 AM
SCP Guy

Russian babe's are keeping him up late Imo

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:00 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Evander Kane is still young and not taking his conditioning seriously. I imagine that he will be better in the future. It's a maturity thing. I imagine that the coach probably would have ripped into him if he showed up to training camp like that. He needs to spend less time galavanting around the globe in the off season.
Strange he is the one player I can't picture taking his offseason lightly, he was a boxing fan and used to do boxing workouts with his dad, and prides himself in conditioning.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:16 AM
GrandChelems

Coach says he's not ready for KHL level yet and suddenly he's not taking off season training seriously and needs a kick in the rear, c'mon guys and gals we're better than this.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Absolutely no excuse for professional athletes to show up out of shape.

I laughed when Kadri was called out, I shake my head now at the Kane news.