HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2012, 11:40 PM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Unfortunately, I think Molson is more of a sheep than anything else, even though he should be one of the big influencial owners since he brings so much money to the league. Maybe it's because he hasn't been an owner for long.
Fair enough, but the Moslon family has been involved in Hockey since before Bettman was born. I don't think lack of time as an owner is the issue, more likely Jacobs and his ilk are the big problem here....

Old
10-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Et le But

The thing is while Molson has nothing to gain from the lockout and common sense would suggest he is one of the owners open to negotiate, but he's not going to shake the boat and revolt against the majority. The owners know better than to show disunity, and it's unlikely Molson, who is relatively new to this, has the clout to overpower someone like Jacobs.

The best thing we can do is to keep trying to write to and call Molson and and his people to give him an incentive to speak up. Say what you want about Geoff but he has made a genuine effort to respond to fans.

Old
10-11-2012, 05:44 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Fair enough, but the Moslon family has been involved in Hockey since before Bettman was born. I don't think lack of time as an owner is the issue, more likely Jacobs and his ilk are the big problem here....
and jacobs afaik is on the executive committee while molson isn't. molson isn't a sheep, or quiet, while he isn't on the executive committee, there's not a whole he can do. and jacobs is a massive dick

Old
10-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Carey needs our help!!!

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1269703

Old
10-11-2012, 09:20 AM
PunkinDrublic*

RDS says nothing new to report...

But TSN says "Neither side has given an offer in three weeks, but NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly stated that the NHLPA is in the midst of putting together a new offer."

Old
10-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
RDS says nothing new to report...

But TSN says "Neither side has given an offer in three weeks, but NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly stated that the NHLPA is in the midst of putting together a new offer."
And that new offer apparently has the players offering something without a salary cap so it's not expected to go down well with the NHL

Old
10-11-2012, 09:41 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
And that new offer apparently has the players offering something without a salary cap so it's not expected to go down well with the NHL
And how would anyone oin the media know this ??? I call BS !

Old
10-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

vCash: 250
Quote:
And how would anyone oin the media know this ??? I call BS !
Fehr mentionned it

Old
10-11-2012, 11:13 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Fehr mentionned it
Ok hahaha how would Fehr know ?

Old
10-11-2012, 11:50 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

the no cap thing afaik is still a rumor. fehr threatened to pull it off the table. that's it.

Quote:
whaaaaaaaaaaa

Old
10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
you cannot be serious

Old
10-11-2012, 12:09 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The thing is while Molson has nothing to gain from the lockout and common sense would suggest he is one of the owners open to negotiate, but he's not going to shake the boat and revolt against the majority. The owners know better than to show disunity, and it's unlikely Molson, who is relatively new to this, has the clout to overpower someone like Jacobs.

The best thing we can do is to keep trying to write to and call Molson and and his people to give him an incentive to speak up. Say what you want about Geoff but he has made a genuine effort to respond to fans.
From a business PoV and in my humble opinion, the Habs owners might be on the fence with that case.

On one side, they're losing a lot of good money, on the other, they're negociating to be able to get a lower % share for the players, wich will increase their profit margins, and will possibly make less profitable teams become more profitable, wich will potentially mean less of the Habs profits will be distributed to the poor markets, as more teams will close their year with a profit of their own, instead of benefiting of the 'wellfare'.

In the end, and in my opinion, it's sad to say but, I think the owners are the ones we should be supporting, because, many US markets are on the verge of bankruptcy, and yes in Canada the $ is high and teams are making money, but you can't have the Canadian teams be the backbone of the NHL and pretend 'everything is allright', because the real market to developp are the US markets. The only reason, really, why the total revenues of the league have climbed up so high since the latest agreement, is because the Canadian $ went up from 0.7 to parity. It's then extremely volatile to base your negociations on that reality : The Canadian economy might be more stable during harsher economic days (resources etc), the US will turn it around when growth will come back, meaning a possible total revenu loss when the US economy climbs back up and the Canadian $ falls down to 0.6-0.7, the real 'value' of the money.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:14 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
you cannot be serious
oh must i really ?

Old
10-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

Seriously, we should lure Bettman into coming to MTL for a visit and then go "Bon cop, Bad cop" on his ass.

Old
10-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Tonight would be the first game of the season for our Habs....

**** you Bettman
**** you Fehr
**** you the NHL
**** you NHLPA

Old
10-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Seriously, we should lure Bettman into coming to MTL for a visit and then go "Bon cop, Bad cop" on his ass.
Have Youppi! follow him around for a bit...

Old
10-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Well, they met for 5 hours last night and they've already been meeting for that long today...

Hey who knows, maybe they are not just arguing about who pays for the fruit bowl in the visitors' locker room.

Old
10-11-2012, 02:03 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Well, they met for 5 hours last night and they've already been meeting for that long today...

Hey who knows, maybe they are not just arguing about who pays for the fruit bowl in the visitors' locker room.
Finally someone sees it like i do !

Old
10-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

Quote:
Finally someone sees it like i do !
Health and safety issues on the agenda for this afternoon's discussion. Medical staff, second opinions, etc.

That's what they are talking about. Waste of time.

Old
10-11-2012, 02:15 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Health and safety issues on the agenda for this afternoon's discussion. Medical staff, second opinions, etc.

With all the respect I give to medias following the lockout, talking that long about such little subjects it hard to believe. IMO, and that's MY opinion, they made a little agreement to not address the media about economic issues to facilitate the negotiations, and to facilitate the task of talking what's going on with the medias. One can only be optimist!

Old
10-11-2012, 02:17 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

Unless you have been involved in negociations before, you wouldn't know that any talk is GOOD talk. I have been involved before. And as long as both sides are talking it's a VERY good sign.

Old
10-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

Quote:
Unless you have been involved in negociations before, you wouldn't know that any talk is GOOD talk. I have been involved before. And as long as both sides are talking it's a VERY good sign.
Backes, a member of the NHLPA’s negotiating committee, still sees a chance to play hockey this season.

"I have not succumbed to the notion that there’s not going to be a season," he said. "But at the same time, I was in the room all day today ... From where it sits right now, it’s not looking like we need to be skating five days a week and getting ready for a camp anytime soon."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...black-thursday

There you go, that's from someone who is involved in these negociations...

Old
10-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
From a business PoV and in my humble opinion, the Habs owners might be on the fence with that case.

On one side, they're losing a lot of good money, on the other, they're negociating to be able to get a lower % share for the players, wich will increase their profit margins, and will possibly make less profitable teams become more profitable, wich will potentially mean less of the Habs profits will be distributed to the poor markets, as more teams will close their year with a profit of their own, instead of benefiting of the 'wellfare'.

In the end, and in my opinion, it's sad to say but, I think the owners are the ones we should be supporting, because, many US markets are on the verge of bankruptcy, and yes in Canada the $ is high and teams are making money, but you can't have the Canadian teams be the backbone of the NHL and pretend 'everything is allright', because the real market to developp are the US markets. The only reason, really, why the total revenues of the league have climbed up so high since the latest agreement, is because the Canadian $ went up from 0.7 to parity. It's then extremely volatile to base your negociations on that reality : The Canadian economy might be more stable during harsher economic days (resources etc), the US will turn it around when growth will come back, meaning a possible total revenu loss when the US economy climbs back up and the Canadian $ falls down to 0.6-0.7, the real 'value' of the money.
I totally agree with this

Old
10-15-2012, 06:35 PM
PunkinDrublic*

I heard that talks went well today and things are finally getting done and are serious. Like i said hockey by November.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:46 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I heard that talks went well today and things are finally getting done and are serious. Like i said hockey by November.
Where'd you hear that?

Closed Thread